Freemo Extravaganza

Ah, I thought that you stayed on your own section and acted as the signalman, ferrying all of the trains through with the fewest number of crashes possible.

This sort of a spectacle could get a guy interested in 'HO' :)

British modellers tend to be trainspotters, whilst US ones are drivers...

But I'm poor. Please don't make me buy more stuff. particularly as I always fall in love with really really expensive things

Welcome to the darkside,this is how we all started :locomotive:  :locomotive:

Ray

Sorry to hear your poor,i used to be poor to,but i seen the light and sold all my british model to fund my new adventure,and never looked back,you only need one loco(famous last words) and a few cars to get you going!!  

Go on you now you want too :declare:  :declare:

Ray

This is one of two possibilities I'm considering. Like Chris I'll need to learn how to do water, but if I get it that's 60% of the layout done!

Lake Freemo featuring FX Tower

9194295839_2561f50895_b.jpg

Based on MX Tower on the meeting of the causeways on Lake Monona. 8' long on each axis.

Comments? Too big for a first attempt?

• RMweb Gold

There is some water on Fort Myers aswell althougj the small end board with the air boat and alligators is what will get replaced with the converter board it will probably still have a hit of thr everglades on it.

Hope all this talk of water isnt a bad omen for the proposed weekend!

I've been playing about with my track plan and ended up with this, which i'm happy with(but may change),

looks like we all need to learn how to do water!!

attachicon.gifgoose lake inlet.jpg

All there's to do now is build it,364 days to go!!

Ray

Ray - what did you use to draw your trackplan for Goose Lake inlet? Tim - that is a clever idea for a multi-join board - a neat bit of lateral thinking!

Do we need a standard for water level? It could be embarrassing if it was lower on one module and all the water from the other modules flowed to it!

I doubt anyone would notice, and I'm sure you won't be using real water anyway...

Ray - what did you use to draw your trackplan for Goose Lake inlet? Tim - that is a clever idea for a multi-join board - a neat bit of lateral thinking!

Looks like AnyRail to me

I doubt anyone would notice, and I'm sure you won't be using real water anyway...

Not until I do my carfloat module ;)

This is one of two possibilities I'm considering. Like Chris I'll need to learn how to do water, but if I get it that's 60% of the layout done!

Lake Freemo featuring FX Tower

9194295839_2561f50895_b.jpg

Based on MX Tower on the meeting of the causeways on Lake Monona. 8' long on each axis.

Comments? Too big for a first attempt?

Here's a YT video by Mike Ruby, showing the new crossing boards we've built for club and modular use: Lipson Junction (no-one could be bothered to suggest a name, so since I can see the real thing from my house in Plymouth and I was building the Tower, it seemed fair enough).  Mike installed the track, electronics and made the working signals, and they are DS-controlled, as are the switches. Mike's also since put some scenery on, and we're planting a station, L J Tower etc.  It really does transform operations.

Brian

post-14127-0-07671900-1372845698_thumb.jpg

post-14127-0-35352100-1372845726_thumb.jpg

post-14127-0-55746900-1372845862_thumb.jpg

post-14127-0-09578500-1372847380_thumb.jpg

Are the two curved end boards part of the crossing module, or separate modules in their own right? I see you have had fun avoiding the board joins with the switches too! You've managed to get it on a smaller footprint, but I wanted to include as much of the lake element as possible, hence the extra size.

I find your naming comment interesting, there's been a few threads on here about as-yet unamed layouts. For me the name is an integral part of the design process.

Are the two curved end boards part of the crossing module, or separate modules in their own right? I see you have had fun avoiding the board joins with the switches too!

I find your naming comment interesting, there's been a few threads on here about as-yet unamed layouts. For me the name is an integral part of the design process.

The curved boards are not part of the crossing. Mike Ruby performed excellent work in the track-laying.  The curved boards allow us to put much more railroad into the footing of the hall. 

Also, we are finding that, without at least some sort of a gap between modules of "just simple running track", it becomes difficult if not impossible to switch modules without trespassing onto other modules, and potentially bringing everything to a halt.  We are now looking at building basic "extender" boards, ie simple 4' modules with just a track down the middle and some basic scenery to make more space between "switchable" modules.  The curves also give "distance".  I can't recommend enough the usefulness of building a few simple "straight-through" boards; the person who does so will do everyone else a huge favour. Especially if you want to do "proper" ops.

I agree about names, especially so when you are running with a Dispatcher and JMRI switch lists.  Won't work, otherwise. Call it anything, but locations need to be called something, so that it actually gets cars delivered to it.

We are now requiring that each set of modules which has switching locations has a diagram stuck to either side, showing the track plan, names of sidings, industries and spot numbers.  This corresponds with what the DS gives the Conductor/Engineer when they get handed their JMRI-generated printed switch list with instructions as to where to drop off, pick up specific cars.

Brian

Jack, as Tim said anyrail

Brain

I think thats a very good point about the extra 4' modules, it maybe be a idea for someone or two,  just make a few plain modules.

One point, most of the modules we are building don't have any loops,so where does the local hide when there a hotshot coming through,or is this where the planing of the layout is important,( must stop thinking i'm getting a bad head).

Ray

Tim

No it's going to be a old 40' boxcar which has been made into a Mow store(or something like that) on a truncated piece of track.

my plan is to have the modules around the loft walls(3 of them) all linked together,goose lake inlet will be one end,hence the measurements on the plan,there will be a 9" board to go on the left end,which i'm hoping will allow a GP +3 cars for switching,this will also be my new layout+3 more modlue(already planned) for exhibtions.

If i get time i may have all 6 ready for 2014(but don't hold me to that),i think your ideas a cracker and will add alot of interest

Ray

Here's a thought for quick and easy "plain" modules.  Go to your equivalent of Home Depot/Lowes/Menards and buy a 48" wide track mounted folding closet door.  That will net you four 12" wide x 78" or 80" long modules.  Slap an 18" wide by 6" tall end plate of good quality plywood or clear pine on each end and then use the fascia/side rails to flare out to the required width to join to another module.  A four panel door set like the one pictured in the link below will yield 26.6 feet of linear modules.  That's damn near a scale half mile.

http://www.menards.com/main/store/20090519001/items/media/Millwork/WCWoods/ProductLarge/oak_flsh4.jpg

If you want to maintain the standard 18" width, then buy a 36" 2-panel bifold door.  You'll have 13.3 feet of module.  And if you aren't in a hurry, you might be able to find these doors for free.  There is a loosely connected movement over here called "Freecycle" where people basically post stuff they want to get rid of to keep it out of landfills.  I have seen hollow core doors listed before when people have remodeled a room or their entire house.  In the almost free category, we also have stores owned by Habitat For Humanity, an organization that helps lower income families buy/build houses.  Their stores resell donated/salvaged building materials and fixtures to raise funds for homebuilding.  The store in Fort Wayne, Indiana has piles of hollow core doors that are priced very cheaply.  If you're planning to cover it with scenery, who cares if it has scratches or dents?  Just an idea to provide cheap Freemo modules with minimal cost or construction investment.

Jason Cook

Been keeping a low profile, but some great stuff coming out. :) Edge - feel free to get involved, build a few feet of plain track, as Brian says it's a very useful module to have, and it doesn't have to be big or expensive - you don't need to get any stock, just come along and play trains...

Tim, I don't think that's too big for a first attempt at all, apart from modelling the water it's reasonably simple still - give it a go! :)

One point, most of the modules we are building don't have any loops,so where does the local hide when there a hotshot coming through,or is this where the planing of the layout is important,( must stop thinking i'm getting a bad head).

When we're sure of what's coming and design the layout one of the aims is to try and come up with something that allows a range of operations without it all jamming up. The ideal to my mind would be several routes, some would be effectively 'one train sections', others 'main line' - our group has some double track modules that can be used to build some passing sidings for any bits that need it...

Archived