Show us your scratchbuilt building

Thats the camera fooling you its definately slates over lead.

The really small pieces are just the way the headlap works out against the pitch of the roof where it intersects with the valley.

I've a couple o lads can fix it for a grand when they finish pony and trap racing..............

I guess that will be when they finish tarmacking the drive!!

Lol all the best Steve

Crinan Hotel, in 4mm low relief (more images during building on my Crinan thread).

Yes, the chimney with a window below it is, bizarrely, prototypical!

attachicon.gifIMG_20170422_133055.jpgattachicon.gifIMG_20170419_174159.jpg

Best,

Martyn.

The 'window below the chimney stack' is also a feature of the Aberdeen Granite tenements that I've been building - I wonder if it's something peculiar to Scottish architecture?

The last of the photos - I promise! - of my building project 'Aberdeen Granite Tenements' (for our layout 'Braeside') - finally the buildings are painted, with the gutters, doors, chimney pots fitted. Judging by the 'Aberdeen Shore Porters' removal vans. the new tenants are moving in!

It has taken a while to get to this stage but all the cutting, fettling and fiddling has given us the bit of Aberdonian texture that I was really keen to achieve.  

Sadly the photography really shows up the mis-alignment of the stone blocks on the end wall but these things are all part of the learning curve and something I'd take more care with next time.

post-26609-0-89655800-1494238243_thumb.jpg

post-26609-0-05998400-1494238257_thumb.jpg

Edited by brylonscamel
  • Like 7

The 'window below the chimney stack' is also a feature of the Aberdeen Granite tenements that I've been building - I wonder if it's something peculiar to Scottish architecture?

I'm not sure, but it's certainly unusual! Nice work on those tenement blocks too, loving the chimneys festooned with chimney pots.

• Like 1

I'm not sure, but it's certainly unusual! Nice work on those tenement blocks too, loving the chimneys festooned with chimney pots.

Thanks - just been admiring your handiwork on the Crinan layout. PS I counted the chimney pots on the building from which I drew inspiration - there were 32 pots in total!

• RMweb Gold

Sadly the photography really shows up the mis-alignment of the stone blocks on the end wall

Until I read what you'd posted I never even noticed, so don't beat yourself up about it too much :)

A very nice job, and quintessentially Scottish in some undefinable way - maybe Martyn's right and it's the chimney-over-the-window thing...

Al.

• Like 2

Until I read what you'd posted I never even noticed, so don't beat yourself up about it too much :)

A very nice job, and quintessentially Scottish in some undefinable way - maybe Martyn's right and it's the chimney-over-the-window thing...

Al.

Thanks Al - you know what it's like - as soon as you spot something on your own model - it becomes a glaring error!

• 2 weeks later...

I am amazed by the outstanding quality of the buildings posted in this thread, Here is  my contribution, a cardstock brewery cut using the silhouette portrait cutting machine. The brew vessel is 3 D printed.

The scale is TT  ( 1/120 )

Jacques

post-4563-0-97627300-1495282947.jpg

post-4563-0-54396300-1495282994.jpg

Edited by Biased turkey
  • Like 6

• 5 weeks later...

mY

This has to be the most realistic model on the Forum. IF it's a model that is !

Absolutely stunning.

Allan.

Thank you so much, Allan! Praise from the master himself is worth more than gold... It's the black and white that does it. All the buildings are based on real ones in Stromness, Orkney, although due to a strange tectonic shift they aren't all in the same place. One might also doubt the wisdom of modelling a place 2,800 km from where one lives and having to make do with photos... Now I've worked out how to get photos into the little box on the screen, I'll post some more...

Thanks again (blush, blush)- Jerry

Here's another bit of Hamnavoe- cars aren't my work, though- nor is the washing on the line. To the left, Stromness library, in the foreground the pierhead buidings. In adherence to Murphy's law, the former has now been pebbledashed (harled, actually) and the latter have been taken down to the original stone. Railcar is a scratchbuilt body on a butchered Bachmann chassis.

post-19450-0-93716500-1497960306.jpg

• Like 13

These are shots of Aylesbury station I am building, more details on my Building Aylesbury thread.

The model has been designed in 3D using fusion 360 software, and walls then cut in Rowmark using a laser cutter stone door surrounds are 3D printed.

Still quite a bit to do including the roof and canopies, but would rather take my time and get it right. brickwork has the correct Flemish bond with queen closers around the doors and windows. Corners are sanded to 45 degrees to ensure the brickwork goes around the corners rather than showing a butt joint.

David 

post-186-0-59086600-1498410734_thumb.jpg

post-186-0-62922000-1498411111_thumb.jpg

post-186-0-09097100-1498411319_thumb.jpg

Edited by David Bigcheeseplant
  • Like 18

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

IanLister - that looks absolutely amazing. Scribed foamex?

Hi.

The stonework is scribed Advanced Lightweight Polyfilla on plasticard. Same stuff used for stone setts (with a homemade stamp), gungy looking ash and cinders and the pile of sand. I also mould it into flat sheets about 3mm thick and make steps, coping stones, flagstones etc out of it.

Ian

I've been working on this French street scene for our new 0 gauge layout; there's a full thread under French Railways (Mantes engine shed)  but as most of you won't look at that part of RM Web here's a picture.

35793346264_3cb7bc210f_c.jpg

Everything other than the vehicles and figures is built from scratch.

Peter

• Like 11