Show us your scratchbuilt building

Ian, very helpful. I'm looking to base my station building on a now long-gone small station in Nottinghamshire. Only a few, fairly unhelpful photographs seem to exist of the prototype. It is built to what seems to be a similar LMS design, but in brick. Your clear images have offered ways forward on some questions in my mind. I model in plaster with fixtures and fittings from various acrylics. Your high standards are a real to challenge to someone who is clearly far less experienced. Thankyou.

• RMweb Gold

Hi Macbear - thank you for the kind words. I found reference photographs in two books. Illustrated LMS stations 1 & 2 and Stations and Structures of the Settle & Carlisle. Both invaluable to help get an idea of the buildings. Yes, most LMS buildings were built in brick, but I prefer the look of stone for my layout, so that's what I work with. The S&C stations are far more intricate and beyond my modeling capability so I changed a few designs to suit me (fascia boards, windows etc). Any building I make is a compromise as I am not in the league of Mr Downes or Mr Robinson who are incredibly talented architectural modelers who I admire considerably. But, I love making them, I enjoy the challenge, and in my mind I improve a little bit every time I tackle something new.

Hi Macbear - thank you for the kind words. I found reference photographs in two books. Illustrated LMS stations 1 & 2 and Stations and Structures of the Settle & Carlisle. Both invaluable to help get an idea of the buildings. Yes, most LMS buildings were built in brick, but I prefer the look of stone for my layout, so that's what I work with. The S&C stations are far more intricate and beyond my modeling capability so I changed a few designs to suit me (fascia boards, windows etc). Any building I make is a compromise as I am not in the league of Mr Downes or Mr Robinson who are incredibly talented architectural modelers who I admire considerably. But, I love making them, I enjoy the challenge, and in my mind I improve a little bit every time I tackle something new.

Just for the record Iain, I too built that station and your's is better than mine which also means that it's better than Robinson's should he ever get round to building it !

But thanks for the kind comments anyway.

Cheers.

Allan.

Here are a few pics of my recent scratchbuild, completed last night. Its a station building, loosely based on the LNWR/LMS ones found in Buckinghamshire and on the Settle & Carlisle line. Overall I am happy with the results - few little areas I could have done better though. It is fully wired up with LED lights and interior using Scalescenes printed sheets and etched brass items from Severn Models. The model is made from 2mm card, over-layed with Slaters plasticard stone sheet. Roof tiles and ridge tiles are York Modelmaking, benches are Shires, windows and doors and window/door surrounds are laser cut offerings from LCut Creative. Guttering is 1.5mm styrene strip and downpipes are 1.5mm styrene rod both from Slaters. Weatheirng is mostly cheap pastels from Wilko's (£4 for 12 pastels) plus Humbrol weathering powders.

Excellent, but, then, basically I just want your whole layout

• RMweb Gold

Just for the record Iain, I too built that station and your's is better than mine which also means that it's better than Robinson's should he ever get round to building it !

But thanks for the kind comments anyway.

Cheers.

Allan.

Ha - I don't think I could ever match your workmanship - but thank you anyway!

• RMweb Gold

Excellent, but, then, basically I just want your whole layout

Thank you kind Sir, but you can't have it - its the key to my sanity and if you take it away I will end up being committed to the local government institute - hold on, I'm already a civil servant so perhaps its too late!!!!!

• Like 1

Thank you kind Sir, but you can't have it - its the key to my sanity and if you take it away I will end up being committed to the local government institute - hold on, I'm already a civil servant so perhaps its too late!!!!!

Fair enough, Castle Aching is the only thing that keeps me sane!

• RMweb Gold

Fair enough, Castle Aching is the only thing that keeps me sane!

And looking at your thread it will be a wonderful layout. I still chuckle at how the thread swings from one topic to another and the conversation that goes on is a wonder - I cant keep up half the time! You have managed to trigger something inside so many folks and provoke great discussion points and ideas providing a resource of information whilst its still a light hearted look at Edwardian past-times and model railways!

Been a while since I posted last but I have been building a 1:1 scale conservatory for my son. Job done so back to real work - the railway.

At last I have completed the Goods Shed at Little Muddle. It, like the track work and station, is loosely based on the one found at Shipton-on-Stour.

Basically mainly of grey card construction, plinth brick paper, windows L Cut adapted using the centre glazing bars set in a plastic section frame and mullions.(the odd one on the rear is because I ran out so used what ever I had left in the scrap box?)

The walls from plastic corrugated sheeting glued to card and lined internally with paper sheeting depicting the same.

The roof was whole different ball game and it ended up nearly in the waste bin and me taking up knitting!!!

Built over formers I constructed laminated layers of four thin sheets of card glued together which when dry gave a really strong, self supporting curved roof. The slow and fiddly bit was gluing strips of corrugated sheeting across and over it, starting at the ridge I glued each scale width of 6ft sections, let it dry and then bent each piece over the curve and left it to set. This what took the time and getting it line around the roof, I had already drawn a series on lines as guide but each section had a mind of its own and lining it all up would test anyone's patience.

I had to remind myself this was a hobby for enjoyment and not some form of endurance test!!!

I know there are gaps around the base but I did just plonk the building down last night to take some pictures. Once I'm happy that I have actually finished it, it will be bedded down.

post-8925-0-91205000-1476907936_thumb.jpg

post-8925-0-92830900-1476907948_thumb.jpg

post-8925-0-02225400-1476907971_thumb.jpg

post-8925-0-01887300-1476908651_thumb.jpg

Edited by KNP
  • Like 14

Been a while since I posted last but I have been building a 1:1 scale conservatory for my son. Job done so back to real work - the railway.

At last I have completed the Goods Shed at Little Muddle. It, like the track work and station, is loosely based on the one found at Shipton-on-Stour.

Basically mainly of grey card construction, plinth brick paper, windows L Cut adapted using the centre glazing bars set in a plastic section frame and mullions.(the odd one on the rear is because I ran out so used what ever I had left in the scrap box?)

The walls from plastic corrugated sheeting glued to card and lined internally with paper sheeting depicting the same.

The roof was whole different ball game and it ended up nearly in the waste bin and me taking up knitting!!!

Built over formers I constructed laminated layers of four thin sheets of card glued together which when dry gave a really strong, self supporting curved roof. The slow and fiddly bit was gluing strips of corrugated sheeting across and over it, starting at the ridge I glued each scale width of 6ft sections, let it dry and then bent each piece over the curve and left it to set. This what took the time and getting it line around the roof, I had already drawn a series on lines as guide but each section had a mind of its own and lining it all up would test anyone's patience.

I had to remind myself this was a hobby for enjoyment and not some form of endurance test!!!

I know there are gaps around the base but I did just plonk the building down last night to take some pictures. Once I'm happy that I have actually finished it, it will be bedded down.

Bravo, another bravura performance!

What a beautiful building and a beautiful layout KNP and we really do need to see more !

Cheers.

Allan. 

Thanks for the comments.

I have posted a lot of pictures in the galleries section under Little Muddle.

Kevin

Bravo, another bravura performance!

Thanks, but it didn't feel like that when trying to fix the curved roof in place and hold it in line whilst the super glue went off......why does it seem to take ages to go off even though it says instant on the tube?

I now use an accelerator activator spray to make instant super glue really instant!!! and boy does that work.

Kevin

• Like 1

Its been a while since I last posted still working on the goods shed. A couple of pics to show finished roof. I haven't worked out how many slates it's taken but its LOTS. Next jobs are guttering and downpipes,painting facia boards and chimney, the office interior and weathering.

After that it's on to the second part......oh wonderful lots more bricks and slates I must be mad!!!!

post-28019-0-19585700-1477695512_thumb.jpg

post-28019-0-77478500-1477695531_thumb.jpg

• Like 7

• 2 weeks later...

November must be 'tall signal box month'!

I must admit, seeing the lovely LNWR box in this thread, spurred me on to have a crack at another model:

One of the projects I've been keen to start on is a couple of scratch-built signal boxes for our North-East-Scotland-ish layout "Braeside".

I've had a couple of previous disasters (hopelessly out of scale / never made it from the card mock-up stages etc.) but I've had more luck recently with other structures so I had a go at one of the distinctive tall boxes that could be found in the Aberdeen area (i.e. Kittybrewster / Dyce Junction)

One of the things I'm keen to add, once the external construction is finished is interior / lighting as the LNWR box really does look wonderful with the interior detail.

Next up - a new version of the Stonehaven station box after I got the last one so badly wrong! I'm happy to share these previous disasters as well - as it might a) cause some amusement and b) show how I'm learning some painful lessons along the way.

post-26609-0-70662400-1479733234_thumb.jpg

post-26609-0-74422600-1479733235_thumb.jpg

post-26609-0-23773400-1479733237_thumb.jpg

• Like 12

Go on then...

LNWR 3 storey box based on Lowton Junction, 00 gauge.

You may be unaware when you've helped motivate your fellow modellers. Can I just thank you for posting details of your delightful signal  box as it got me going on my long overdue 'tall box' project!

• Like 2

You may be unaware when you've helped motivate your fellow modellers. Can I just thank you for posting details of your delightful signal  box as it got me going on my long overdue 'tall box' project!

I've got a warm fuzzy feeling now :-) thanks brylonscamel. Your signalbox is looking great!

Good luck with it

Pete

I've got a warm fuzzy feeling now :-) thanks brylonscamel. Your signalbox is looking great!

Good luck with it

Pete

.. brilliant! ... that might be the first time I've given anyone a warm fuzzy feeling. I might need to compliment people on their signal boxes more often ;-)

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Given the superb quality of other posts, I hesitate to present my first true scratchbuilt structure!

I have built numerous kits in all materials but this is my first effort and it is all made from coffee stirrers!

It represents a Southern Railway wooden coaling stage:

post-14629-0-56314500-1479847760_thumb.jpg

It is not based on a particular prototype but I have several pictures of structures of this kind, and of all shapes & sizes; here it is in situ, before the surrounding area has been fully completed:

post-14629-0-06527100-1479847908_thumb.jpg

Here it is in use, with SR / ex-SECR No.1124 approaching and about to be coaled.

post-14629-0-30100700-1479848142_thumb.jpg

I still have a lot of work to do around the shed and yard (see my layout thread) but I was pleased to have finally built something "original".

Tony

• Like 9

Given the superb quality of other posts, I hesitate to present my first true scratchbuilt structure!

I have built numerous kits in all materials but this is my first effort and it is all made from coffee stirrers!

It represents a Southern Railway wooden coaling stage:

attachicon.gifSJP2O4B627702160425.jpg

It is not based on a particular prototype but I have several pictures of structures of this kind, and of all shapes & sizes; here it is in situ, before the surrounding area has been fully completed:

attachicon.gifSJP2O4B627402160425.jpg

Here it is in use, with SR / ex-SECR No.1124 approaching and about to be coaled.

attachicon.gifSJP2O4B879802160725.jpg

I still have a lot of work to do around the shed and yard (see my layout thread) but I was pleased to have finally built something "original".

Tony

What a fantastic scene - I for one wouldn't hesitate in sharing this bit of scratch-building on the basis that it's realistic, well constructed and has a novel use of materials.