Show us your scratchbuilt building

The water tank was made using an overflow pipe taken from my sons old water tank when we dismantled it and then detailed.

Base is just balsa wood brushed with a spark plug brass cleaning brush to raise the grain.

Rest came form the odds and ends box.

Timber store built up with matches and a plastic corrugated sheeting. Logs cut from a shrub in the garden and sprayed with hair lacquer to seal. 

Adjoining toilet block, card walls with brick paper stuck on and roof from the Wills range.

Oh! I like this a lot - you've got the whole scene looking really convincing, right down to the scrubby greenery. A 'back of the yard' scene that rarely gets the same attention as more obvious parts of a model.

Hi Tony - it is 2mm styrene sheet, onto which embossed styrene sheet (Slaters cut stone) has been overlaid.

Sorry, but I have to ask - what's the secret to cutting accurate window and door openings in 2mm styrene sheet?

Sorry, but I have to ask - what's the secret to cutting accurate window and door openings in 2mm styrene sheet?

I described how I do this on a Facebook Group - I make no claims to this being the best method but it works for me. Here's a link to a document that I just created with some photos to show the process ... https://tinyurl.com/cutting-easy-windows

• Like 3

I described how I do this on a Facebook Group - I make no claims to this being the best method but it works for me. Here's a link to a document that I just created with some photos to show the process ... https://tinyurl.com/cutting-easy-windows

What an absolutely brilliant idea Brylon, Why didn't I think of that !!

Cheers.

Allan

What an absolutely brilliant idea Brylon, Why didn't I think of that !!

Cheers.

Allan

Thanks Allan - if I have any other bright ideas (this may prove unlikely!) I'll share them. I've had so much help from other modellers - it's nice to be able to return the favour.

Edited by brylonscamel
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Some months back I posted an image of what was my first ever scratch built structure - a modest wooden coaling stage built from coffee stirrers.

Since then I decided that I needed to up my game and in the end I went for a range of barns which will fit nicely into an undeveloped area of my layout; here is the result:

post-14629-0-87238200-1488908254_thumb.jpg

post-14629-0-94609300-1488908275_thumb.jpg

There are further pictures, including some of the construction on my own thread,

The barns are far from perfect but I am pleased with the result and will now move on to redevelopment of my locoshed...

Tony

• Like 18

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Hi Al a very nice building. I have one small point to make. The lead flashings on the roof valleys go under the slates not on top. That said a nice build

Steve

Cheers Steve, you're the second person to point that out. :)

Unfortunately, I'd already done the tiling, and I wasn't going to rip it all off again, so I'l live with that.

Al.

• RMweb Gold

Very nice job Al, planking is very neat, is it Slaters version?

Martyn.

Thanks Martyn, yes it's Slaters' shiplap planking.

Really glad you've posted Crinan Hotel in this thread, it really deserves to be seen.

Al.

• RMweb Premium

Well they do say " you live and learn " I have not seen a valley flashed like that before. Thanks Allan and my apologies to Al. It goes to show there is a prototype for everything.

All the best

Steve

Looks like it's still under the tiles but just a wider than usual valley.

Got a feeling I was wrong and it makes sense that ALL valley flashing HAS to go under the tiles if it's to be in any way effective.

Check out the link.

https://tse4.mm.bing.net/th?id=OIP.jgDHfn91VI0Wd8AZA--rJQEsDG&pid=Api

Cheers.

Allan

Hmm, that didn't seem to work very well so just google ' roof valley flashing' and you'll find hundreds of illustrated examples.

Edited by allan downes

• RMweb Gold

Hi Al.

Steve's right. Valley flashing generally went out of sight under the tiles but - not in all cases.

Cheers.

Allan

attachicon.gifp (3).jpg

That's a regular valley with 6 inches of lead showing so that water flows easily, what you can't see is the lead extends under the slates 6 inches on each side.

Slates are fixed to 1 inch thick battens and the valley boards are 1 inch thick so there is very little between them, concrete tiles have a more pronounced gap  and have to be pointed up along the valley.

Chris having looked at the pic again could it be that the lead flashing has been laid over the the original valley as a bodge repair? It's a bit odd as towards the bottom of the pic there are some very small bits of slate which look too small to be cuts?

What do you think?

" it's o.k.mate I can fix yet leak fer next to nufin"

All the best

Steve

• RMweb Gold

Chris having looked at the pic again could it be that the lead flashing has been laid over the the original valley as a bodge repair? It's a bit odd as towards the bottom of the pic there are some very small bits of slate which look too small to be cuts?

What do you think?

" it's o.k.mate I can fix yet leak fer next to nufin"

All the best

Steve

Thats the camera fooling you its definately slates over lead.

The really small pieces are just the way the headlap works out against the pitch of the roof where it intersects with the valley.

I've a couple o lads can fix it for a grand when they finish pony and trap racing..............