Show us your scratchbuilt building

Please excuse a small Viking intrusion into this excellent thread. I just wish I had enough time to read all 55 pages of it!

I've described my P87 Danish layout 'Obbekaer' elsewhere on this forum, but this time these are photos of a row of buildings for the next layout. This time I'm modelling a complete quayside scene from Ribe (Denmark's Oldest Town) in the early 1960s, with a railway station between the houses and the riverside.

Fortunately, there's a strong sense of conservation in Ribe, so many of these buildings are just the same as they would have been in the 1950s. Some of the models have been built using architects' drawings. Others have been done from photographs and a serious bout of brick counting - bearing in mind of course that Danish bricks are a different size from those over here.

All the walls are drawn out on TurboCAD and printed onto ordinary printer paper, which is then stuck to plasticard with solvent. Each wall is then built up in layers with the inner and outer walls separated by a framework of Evergreen microstrip that produces a strong cavity wall that is very rigid and stable. The brick courses are then added to the outside, one at a time, from .022" x .011" microstrip, and the vertical joints then cut with a scalpel to form the correct pattern of brickwork. A sprayed coat of grey primer provides the mortar colour, and the bricks are then painted using various shades of acrylics. The only purchased elements are the pantile sheets (Auhagen), which are carefully cut to shape before fitting.

My favourite of the whole row is the half-timbered building on the end, which on the front face has different patterns of individually placed bricks between the timbers.

The final photo shows the almost completed row in its display case at Rail 2016 in The Netherlands last year, together with a montage of the whole street. Before you ask, the cathedral tower will be on the backscene - any good artists out there?

Regards,

Geraint

Outstanding modelling Geraint. I love the detail in the brickwork. How long would it take you to finish one wall?

Outstanding modelling Geraint. I love the detail in the brickwork. How long would it take you to finish one wall?

Thanks Highlandman.

The short answer is - quite a long time! The trick though is to assemble the carcass and then to start the brickwork at a number of different locations on the same model. This means that you can lay a course at one location, then a second location, then go back to the first to cut the vertical joints and lay a second course, then revert to the second location. Sorry, I didn't describe that very well, but hopefully you get the idea. It's actually a very therapeutic activity, and one that you can devote a spare quarter or half hour to and feel that you've achieved something. I usually run the building construction alongside other layout projects, for variety.

A couple of other photos attached, showing the construction of the trafo tower for "Obbekaer", which hopefully illustrates the process a little more.

Regards,

Geraint

post-6407-0-90004000-1485431979_thumb.jpg

post-6407-0-19518900-1485432002_thumb.jpg

post-6407-0-68041500-1485432161_thumb.jpg

• Like 8
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

Hi Andrew,

Just wondering -what did you use for N gauge corrugated iron? IT looks good.  Its often  modelled as very rusty and weathered,  but I've also seen many examples of buildings where it is still the uniform pale silver gray as you have it, with no sign of rust so its nice to see an example of that. Maybe the local climate has an affect on how it ages. I guess in  dry inland areas it might stand up better?

I don't know much about Shepparton, was it a gold rush town?

(Warning - the following has nothing to do with scratchbuilt buildings, so if it disappears, I understand, especially if Shepparton turns out to NOT be involved in our gold rush antics!)

As an aside, its always intriguing  to read about some of these regional Australian areas during the gold rush. History is all taken up with the American goldrush version - all that "miner 49'er and his darling Clamentine" stuff and so on, but theres little known about what went on  down here. Cities like Ballarat sprung up pretty much overnight, built on the back of huge riches  -  and massive commercial and public buildings then went up due to the strength of the immense wealth of gold  found. At one point in the 1890's the biggest stock market in the world was located in one of these provincial Australian cities - I can't remember which one - Charters Towers in Queensland, or one of the Victorian towns. All built by gold.

How do I know all this? you are possibly wondering. Well, back in the 70's this kind of thing was what we learned at school here in Australia - all gold rushes and bushrangers and explorers.

Learning was such fun back then!  For instance, we all knew who Dirk Hartog was, and Captain Moonlight, and the exploring bloke  who was doing exploring stuff (I forget his name right now) who got killed by aborigines who  speared him  in the back, and  - we got to see the artists impression of the the exploring bloke getting speared in the back in our textlbooks.. . . No one teaches these things any more here, let alone handing out textbooks with blokes getting speared in the back  to 8 year olds - , which means that sadly, the rmweb forum of 40 years from now will be barren when it comes to Australian history and violence.

But back then, it wasn't just schools pumping this information into us, our national broadcaster had a series on the gold rush called 'Rush" which was unmissable to all us 10 year odds in 1974, which meant it was such a joyous chance to revisit it  when it was resurrected and comically re-voiced as the pretty funny  'The Olden Days" by a comedy show back in the 90's.

Apologies for delay in answering. Corrugated iron is Evergreen scribed styrene, 0.030" spacing. Shepparton (Victoria) is a regional centre based on fruit and dairy (irrigation etc), I doubt about gold in its history unless you think of the colour of peaches! This entry gives a bit of history and knowledge: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shepparton. Good to hear that Australian history 'got a guernsey' in British schools. I also I enjoyed "Rush", it coincided with our household getting colour TV.

Attached is an update photo of the building and it's module.

post-23530-0-09599700-1485671734_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

I'm back with another little project, which I've tried to photograph as I stumble through the stages of construction!

Here's progress-to-date on some 'Aberdonian' granite tenements for our layout "Braeside".

It's all styrene sheet construction and so far I've only got two out of the four tenements underway!

But hey ho - I'm finding lessons learned in stage#1 are speeding the next one along.

I'm also hoping the painting and detailing stages bring the things to life.

post-26609-0-59448200-1485774477_thumb.jpg

post-26609-0-55133200-1485774479_thumb.jpg

post-26609-0-64942100-1485774480_thumb.jpg

post-26609-0-85909100-1485774481_thumb.jpg

post-26609-0-99655600-1485774482_thumb.jpg

post-26609-0-13843300-1485774484_thumb.jpg

Edited by brylonscamel
  • Like 7

Thanks Highlandman.

The short answer is - quite a long time! The trick though is to assemble the carcass and then to start the brickwork at a number of different locations on the same model. This means that you can lay a course at one location, then a second location, then go back to the first to cut the vertical joints and lay a second course, then revert to the second location. Sorry, I didn't describe that very well, but hopefully you get the idea. It's actually a very therapeutic activity, and one that you can devote a spare quarter or half hour to and feel that you've achieved something. I usually run the building construction alongside other layout projects, for variety.

A couple of other photos attached, showing the construction of the trafo tower for "Obbekaer", which hopefully illustrates the process a little more.

Regards,

Geraint

I keep returning to this thread, only to be blown away by another beautiful modelling project!

Absolutely first  class modelling, but would they have had chimneys sticking out of the tops of dormer windows ?

Cheers.

Allan.

Thanks Allan - funny you should mention that as it's been a matter of discussion in my house! I was equally intrigued by the arrangement (which is a common feature of these tenements)

We came to the conclusion that the chimney flue must be routed down the side of the dormer stonework to provide fireplaces at the front of the property.

post-26609-0-89677500-1485776998_thumb.jpg

post-26609-0-36741500-1485776999.jpg

I did say a while ago that I would post an update on how my station building is progressing. Well the answer is slowly, I have been very busy at work the last few months.

The outside of the main building is almost done, bar some more dry brushing, a gentle dusting with the airbrush and some more weathering. The footbridge and covered steps are only just started, and the interior and some doors need adding, some of which are almost ready to go in.

StnMain132.jpg

Details of the building and moderately regular progress update can be found on my layout topics thread for 'Ellerby'.

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/53110-ellerby-layout-loco-detailing-making-buildings-index/page-16

Many wonderful buildings have been shown on here since my last post, all very inspiring work.

Thank you to everyone sharing their work be it first steps in scratch building through to some masterpieces from well known contributors.

Jamie

EDIT. I just thought that I should put a link to a post showing this at a much earlier stage: http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/74067-show-us-your-scratchbuilt-building/page-49&do=findComment&comment=2443638

Edited by Jamiel
  • Like 11

• RMweb Gold

I'm back with another little project, which I've tried to photograph as I stumble through the stages of construction!

Here's progress-to-date on some 'Aberdonian' granite tenements for our layout "Braeside".

It's all styrene sheet construction and so far I've only got two out of the four tenements underway!

But hey ho - I'm finding lessons learned in stage#1 are speeding the next one along.

I'm also hoping the painting and detailing stages bring the things to life.

For clarity, is this based on foam board with the stones scribed on?

Thanks

Tony

I did say a while ago that I would post an update on how my station building is progressing. Well the answer is slowly, I have been very busy at work the last few months.

The outside of the main building is almost done, bar some more dry brushing, a gentle dusting with the airbrush and some more weathering. The footbridge and covered steps are only just started, and the interior and some doors need adding, some of which are almost ready to go in.

StnMain132.jpg

Details of the building and moderately regular progress update can be found on my layout topics thread for 'Ellerby'.

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/53110-ellerby-layout-loco-detailing-making-buildings-index/page-16

Many wonderful buildings have been shown on here since my last post, all very inspiring work.

Thank you to everyone sharing their work be it first steps in scratch building through to some masterpieces from well known contributors.

Jamie

EDIT. I just thought that I should put a link to a post showing this at a much earlier stage: http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/74067-show-us-your-scratchbuilt-building/page-49&do=findComment&comment=2443638

Station looks great Jamie.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

I've never really been overly pleased with the stone skew bridge I built (that can be found earlier in this thread) so armed with some information on websites belonging to a certain Mr Downes and a Mr Robinson, I made this....

post-18825-0-35125900-1487281539_thumb.jpg

It's far from perfect, and still needs a little more work, but it goes to show what you can learn from others.

I'd best crack on and do the rest now....

• Like 5

I've been posting photos here as I make progress with a couple of Aberdeen granite tenements.

The last couple of days have seen my brushes out for the first round of paintwork.

I'm always curious to see if the thing comes to life with a bit of dry brushing over the contours of the mouldings.

post-26609-0-78291200-1487689103_thumb.jpg

post-26609-0-01117000-1487689164_thumb.jpg

post-26609-0-78291200-1487689103_thumb.jpg

post-26609-0-01117000-1487689164_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

I've been posting photos here as I make progress with a couple of Aberdeen granite tenements.

The last couple of days have seen my brushes out for the first round of paintwork.

I'm always curious to see if the thing comes to life with a bit of dry brushing over the contours of the mouldings.

very imposing!

Are you adding lintels over the window and door openings?

The water tank was made using an overflow pipe taken from my sons old water tank when we dismantled it and then detailed.

Base is just balsa wood brushed with a spark plug brass cleaning brush to raise the grain.

Rest came form the odds and ends box.

Timber store built up with matches and a plastic corrugated sheeting. Logs cut from a shrub in the garden and sprayed with hair lacquer to seal. 

Adjoining toilet block, card walls with brick paper stuck on and roof from the Wills range.

post-8925-0-52321700-1488113963_thumb.jpg

• Like 9

My model of Bakewell station building is now substantially complete, so here's a couple of photos:

attachicon.gifbakewell-station01.jpg

attachicon.gifbakewell-station02.jpg

attachicon.gifbakewell-station04.jpg

attachicon.gifbakewell-station05.jpg

Hi Alistair,

As you know I have been following your progress on Bakewell station with great interest especially your superb model of the main station building which you published in 2014. As shown on my blog, I am building mine from laser cut components specially made for me by York model making. However, I am perplexed how you got the stonework so good as on my model.  I am not sure whether to use Slaters plasticard dressed stone or Redutax Aslar sheets. My colleague at my club has suggested DAS clay but I am not confident in using this. Can you point me in the right direction? From the photos of the real thing, the stones seem to be smooth cut sandstone

York model making have supplied the correct doors and sash windows ( which are superb) but will do the stonework before adding these, In the meantime,  I am now in the process of using their laser cut slates on the roof. I notice that your columns to support the canopy is painted Midland Red and cream ( if you have information on the correct shade) I would be most grateful. I look forward to your reply

Here are some photos.

Best regards,

Rob Brooks

post-26417-0-34714400-1488142230_thumb.jpg

post-26417-0-76953900-1488142231_thumb.jpg

post-26417-0-28790100-1488142290_thumb.jpg

post-26417-0-79935300-1488142422_thumb.jpg

post-26417-0-56168100-1488142424_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Gold

Hi Rob,

Those slates look very good!

I used Slaters 4mm Dressed Stone to clad my model, which I felt captured the look of the original.

The colour of the pillars, and all the other paintwork, were based on photos of the real thing in the 1960s, taken by Stan Roberts.

Seen below, one of Stan's photos, and my model:

post-17302-0-46602800-1488145860_thumb.jpg

Copyright Stan Roberts Collection / Peak Rail used with permission.

post-17302-0-35910300-1488145930_thumb.jpg

All the best,

Al.

• Like 8