Nelson's Workbench: Rolling stock from Ulster

Thank you guys for your comments, I'm sure with practise you'll easily achieve the same results Rhys, Glover from the book I have "BCDR Irish railway pictorial" it states "for a time these PW wagons were painted in an attractive but short lived, two tone colour scheme that was introduced at queens quay in 1950" the wagon is in NCC grey and the top plank bauxite red. Hope that helps?

• 1 month later...

Hello everyone,

No railway items to report on but I did mange to build 2 military kits, the stash is slowly decreasing :) the first one is a Pegasus hobbies KV2, a simple kit with some fitting issues and basic detail so I added the steps and jerry can rack along with tools. The second kit is a revell BV P194 which is a Blohm & voss proposed multi-purpose light bomber aircraft of which no prototypes were made so mine is in 1946 livery/condition, this kit took 3 weeks to build so I am glad it's over :)

post-19436-0-30141600-1439222304_thumb.jpg

post-19436-0-67310400-1439222313_thumb.jpg

post-19436-0-12404000-1439222322_thumb.jpg

post-19436-0-29104300-1439222330_thumb.jpg

post-19436-0-22911400-1439222338_thumb.jpg

post-19436-0-73512900-1439222346_thumb.jpg

post-19436-0-12588400-1439222355_thumb.jpg

post-19436-0-25315700-1439222378_thumb.jpg

Nelson

• Like 6

Thank you guys for your comments, I'm sure with practise you'll easily achieve the same results Rhys, Glover from the book I have "BCDR Irish railway pictorial" it states "for a time these PW wagons were painted in an attractive but short lived, two tone colour scheme that was introduced at queens quay in 1950" the wagon is in NCC grey and the top plank bauxite red. Hope that helps?

So that's where BR Railfreight red/grey came from! 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Nelson. Great work on the latest kits which you have built. They are very professionally finished and the tank has some great weathering applied to it. The BV P194 Blohm & voss aircraft is most unusual looking.

With regards,

Market65.

Very nice Nelson. I was wondering what youve been building recently.

They both look stunning. Though I thought that german bomber with the off central fuselage also had non matching elevators. Or it might be a different ridiculous german bomber.

Very nice Nelson. I was wondering what youve been building recently.

They both look stunning. Though I thought that german bomber with the off central fuselage also had non matching elevators. Or it might be a different ridiculous german bomber.

This one? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blohm_%26_Voss_BV_141

Excellent work as usual Nelson, the weathering is so realistic.

Edited by Twright
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

That German plane just doesn't look right, does it? No wonder they lost the war. I came across your blog this evening, and fascinated by your output, both the quality, detail, and choice of prototype. I dabble in Irish railways, with a short NCC train and some more in MGWR and GSWR, and in 7mm scale, only standard bRitish gauge rather than 5'3", so I can use the stock on my layout with other stuff. it looks as if you're doing the same, very sensible. Keep up the good work, this is a really useful blog.

• RMweb Premium

I think it's one of those  Luft '46  models that only existed on a drawing board. It makes for an interesting model, it's ability to actually fly is another matter.

I think it's one of those  Luft '46  models that only existed on a drawing board. It makes for an interesting model, it's ability to actually fly is another matter.

Apparently those asymmetrical planes flew well. Just late war Germany wasnt great to the engineers.

Thank you for your comments everyone, this kit is one of the many famous revell '46 kits they made ages ago and this is a reboxed version, in real life there were 4 similar designs that Blohm & voss proposed, of course none of them were ever made as Germany didnt last very long and was overrun preventing any to be made. An interesting subject however.

• RMweb Premium

hello, it's me back, I've had a bit more time to look thru your blog today, and I'm really impressed with your work, such as the way you can get a 2P to turn into a U2. Your details of wagon weathering are good, one thing I usually do is to daub on a very thin wash of Matt black with a load of white spirit in it, then wipe off straight away with a tissue or rag. This leaves the corners darker and in particular the grooves of the plank joins. you need to be careful that the spirit doesn't attack any previously applied paint and leave light patches. To finish off I use chalk, the pastel stuff from an art shop. Black, pale brown, umber brown and sienna brown also possibly grey. I rub these, one at a time, on some emery paper, to get powder, then sprinkle over where I want, such as the light brown to fetch the axle guard area up, sienna on brake blocks, black for streaks on roofs, then brush in dry with an paintbrush, sideways across the roof. the gain is if you don't like it you can wash it off with water, which you can't with paint. early in your blog you say you don't like Matt varnish, I presume Humbrol. I was having trouble, either it would dry with shiny patches or it would dry with whitish streaks. I sent my tin back to Humbrol with a moaning letter (not like in Hogwarts) and got a very nice reply back with said tin and a card to which they had applied some varnish out of the tin, perfectly flat. The secret is to stir very thoroughly with a spatula, very thoroughly. They didn't say, but I think what give the flatness is very fine particles, rather like talcum powder, which are in suspension, and have to be really mixed in well before you start to paint. anyhow hope this is of use. seeing all your Irish stuff and links has got me thinking, even if I am busy with other lines right now!

• 2 months later...

Hello everyone,

Wow has it really has been nearly 2 months since I've done any railway modelling well you can blame school for that :P but now I'm back on track and this is my latest model a Ex North British 3 plank wagon, instead of using a plain plasticard sheet and scribing on the planks, I tried out some pre scribed plasticard, it turned out alright I felt. although you have to double up the plasticard because the backs aren't scribed and the sheets are quite thin, but overall I think it's a better method and easier to do. The straps are Alan Gibson and axle boxes are four most models. I don't know wether to paint it now or wait until I finish another few wagons and paint them all together, just depends on how I'm feeling. Btw if anyone wants to scrutinise my work an image of the wagon can be found on page 39 of "LNER wagons volume 3"

post-19436-0-62965900-1446070560_thumb.jpg

post-19436-0-69422500-1446070569_thumb.jpg

post-19436-0-29825500-1446070576_thumb.jpg

Thanks

Nelson

• Like 12

• RMweb Gold

That, Nelson, is a quality piece of modelling. It looks like the wagon it is meant to be to me. The mix of materials and parts has really worked well for you.

Look forward to seeing the wagon painted and weathered.

With warm regards,

Rob.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Hello everyone,

It's been a while since I've updated this thread haha, this is due to a number of various personal issues but now they are done with I can get back to some modelling again :D however I did keep one project running in the background which was a commsion to weather 23 wagons (21 hoppers, 1 16ton and 1 brake van). I don't normally display commissions on my thread, but the owner gave me permision and i am more than happy to display them here. I weathered all of them using various enamel paints, weathering powders/pigments and washes, the desired finish was a worked one so I've varied the state of despair from wagon to wagon. I hope you enjoy the pics,

post-19436-0-95388500-1456260959_thumb.jpg

Some wagons in the middle of being weathered.

post-19436-0-34629100-1456260967_thumb.jpg

The completed lot posed on the layout.

post-19436-0-68196400-1456260973_thumb.jpg

post-19436-0-47188700-1456260980_thumb.jpg

Many thanks,

Nelson

• Like 16