Nelson's Workbench: Rolling stock from Ulster

• 2 weeks later...

Hello everyone,

I managed to get the brake van, cattle wagons and coal wagons complete last week and then I began work on Northern Ireland's most famous wagons, the spoil wagons.

These are done by Provincial Wagons and are absolutely superb kits, such a joy to put together, I have built 8 (5 for myself and 3 for a friend) I've nearly finished one of them, just the buffer heads to do then onto the other 7.

post-19436-0-11572400-1413739234.jpg

post-19436-0-89597400-1413739274.jpg

post-19436-0-47846200-1413739281.jpg

Many thanks

Nelson

• Like 15

Hello Everyone,

Got 3 more spoil wagons weathered and I'm really quite proud of them, so that's 4 now done and onto the next 4, obviously if there's anything seriously wrong with them or anything that can be improved be sure to let me know, I'm happy to take constructive criticism as it all helps :)

post-19436-0-81782400-1414013781.jpg

post-19436-0-01291200-1414013792.jpg

Thanks for looking

Nelson.

• Like 9

Thanks guys for your kind comments,

Here's my latest one to be weathered and I thought id try and push the weathering even further and try and get it as filthy as possible so here's my attempt at doing so, what do we think? Honest opinions please as I'm a bit wary of it.

post-19436-0-70695100-1414418548.jpg

post-19436-0-78838900-1414418558.jpg

It's the one on the left.

Nelson

• Like 6

What weathering mix do you use, Nelson?  I put a Humbrol Metalcote colour into mine so I can polish bits of it with a cotton bud once dry. 

On the wagons below you can see the bolt heads, top of the brake levers and axleboxes have a shiny edge which the light has emphasised.  It's a Martyn Welsh trick which I can highly recommend.  It would certainly bring those chains and the edges of all that panelling out even more.

POs_1_zpscff4c570.jpg

These were done by adding 27004, an almost black colour, to a mix of 62 and 64 but there are different Metalcote colours available and I'm sure if you use acrylics then there are equivalents - in fact I'm sure there are from looking at some very impressive painting in the Games Workshop in Cambridge one afternoon when it was raining heavily.

Edited by jwealleans
  • Like 2

Hi Jonathan,

Thanks for your detailed comment, it was really helpful, I've never actually thought about adding a metalcote colour into the mix, I tend to use some brown, rust and black, but I shall give your method a go as those wagons look wonderful, thanks for the tip.

And thanks Spitire for your comment.

Nelson

Hello everyone,

2 updates in 1 day gasp lol.

Over the last week I've been building these 2 Cambrian LNER kits but found them to be incredibly close to those used by the UTA so painted them in UTA colours, after all the LNER did build wagons for the UTA to replace those destroyed by the Belfast blitz, so they are close enough and I'm happy with them, I've weathered them lightly and added a timber load to one of them but I think the wooden planks are a it too big and coarse for OO gauge? So they might be replaced.

post-19436-0-65183800-1414444839.jpg

post-19436-0-03507700-1414444848.jpg

Many thanks

Nelson

• Like 11

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Nelson. Excellent modelling today. I really liked that weathering on the wagon which you've now repainted, so will wait and see how the weathering on it turns out - the metalcote in the weathering mix is a very good idea.

The two Cambrian LNER wagons have been very well built, and regarding those planks, I think it is a bit of a difficult one to say -  they could indeed be, as stated in the above post,  simply large planks of wood - maybe on route to a farm?

Anyway, keep up the good work, and I look forward to more projects.

All the best,

Market65.

Thanks market and David for your comments I really appreciate them.

A friend of mine wanted me to make him a Thomas the tank milk van and the orders were to keep it nice and simple so here's my efforts, it's a scratch built body on a Cambrian Underframe kit, the roof and couplings will be fitted after painting.

post-19436-0-64709400-1414529616.jpg

post-19436-0-27913600-1414529624.jpg

Many thanks

Nelson

• Like 9

Nelson,

The Milk van looks superb, really looking forward to seeing the completed wagon

Regards the planks in the wagon they look about 4x1mm which would equate out at tweleve inch wide planks 3 inch thick which is not an unreasonable size for heavy timber, length of circra 20foot. I suspect coffee stiring sticks from well known outlets?

If its the width that worries you then they will trim down with a sharp knife blade, but remember in those days heavy timbers were common for buildings, wagon planking was a good few inches high by a couple deep so its not out of place

David