Nelson's Workbench: Rolling stock from Ulster

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Nelson. I like the description of your weathering techniques. It makes good sense to me, and your description is perfectly clear. I also use similar techniques - maybe a bit more track dirt in the underframe area. Also, when the paint has been applied, to dry it bit quicker, I sometimes use a hair dryer on a mid-setting held at about one foot distance - do not want to melt any plastic here!

Do make a You Tube video, it will be good to see you in action on your next project, both building and weathering.

All the best,

Market65.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Everyone,

The weather still isn't being too kind so I've just been sitting inside converting this GBL C class static model into a motorised GNRI PG class engine, the work included cutting through the footplate hollowing out the boiler and and cutting away the cab and cylinder covers. I've rearranged the splashers and added more sandboxes. The Tender has also been shortened and interior added. The engine Is still far from being finished but it's starting to take shape.

post-19436-0-61262500-1424105606_thumb.jpg

post-19436-0-64048600-1424105489_thumb.jpg

post-19436-0-73479900-1424105524_thumb.jpg

post-19436-0-12576100-1424105633_thumb.jpg

post-19436-0-19332600-1424105619_thumb.jpg

Thanks Nelson

• Like 13

• RMweb Gold

Hi Nelson, I've been reading from page one having clicked on a link Someone put onto Tony Wright's thread, your work is just amazing. Thanks for putting it up.

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you market ^

Hello everyone,

I got some handrails for the engine at model rail Scotland (which was a fantastic show btw) and put them on yesterday, apart from that the engine still looks the same, I'm now just waiting for some good wether then I can spray a primer onto her. Yesterday I also started this NCC coal wagon she is scratch built with platicard and some whitemetal buffers and axeboxes. I got a thin sheet of brass at my local craft store surprisingly enough and made the brake lever out of it, it turned out rather well so I'll be using the same method with my other wagons. School will delay this until next weekend, so until then.

post-19436-0-93256500-1425241510_thumb.jpg

post-19436-0-15115500-1425241517_thumb.jpg

post-19436-0-63589500-1425241523_thumb.jpg

Nelson.

• Like 12

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Nelson. That's a most outstanding wagon, and that brass really does help the construction of the brake lever. Glad that the engine has got it's hand-rail wires, and hope that you will not have to wait too long for the weather before a coat of primer can be sprayed on it.

All  the best,

Market65.

Hello everyone,

I know I said it would be next week until I get the chance to model, but no homework = free modelling time :) so I got some free hours and finished this one off, some may say the weathering is too much but I like it and it's in it's last year of service with the UTA anyway.

post-19436-0-09900000-1425503498_thumb.jpg

post-19436-0-01516700-1425503507_thumb.jpg

post-19436-0-77495600-1425503514_thumb.jpg

Thanks

Nelson

• Like 15

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Nelson. The weathering looks good to me. Wagons can get very 'grimy' and, no matter the Company, in a wagons final years of service, they tend to be left to themselves to get increasingly dirty!. Also, you've managed to achieve a good matt finish as well.

All the best,

Market65.

Really impressive work on those wagons and just a small suggestion that you might like to try using an Olfa/Tamiya plastic cutter (any model shop with a HobbyCo account will be able to get you one) to do the planking, as this will make a 'V' groove without the slightly raised edges you get if you use a knife blade.

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Nelson. I like the latest wagon that you've just finished. It is a well constructed model, and will look fine once painted and weathered. Great work.

All the best,

Market65.

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Nelson. They look excellent in the Sunshine. The six-wheeler has really come along now that it is painted and weathered. It is interesting in that it has no brakes. Possibly it might have been hand-braked. Keep up the good work, and look forward to your next project.

All the best,

Market65.

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Hi, Nelson. That GNRI PG Class 0-6-0 has turned out to be a most exceptional model. You've made a good job of the handrails and knobs, and the lamp irons, to give just a couple of examples. This model really will look so good when painted and weathered. It will then just need the usual crew in the cab, and some coal in the tender, not forgetting the fire irons.

All the best,

Market65.