Nelson's Workbench: Rolling stock from Ulster

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Nelson. A bit late today, but what a tremendous outcome you have achieved with the LMS NCC U2 locomotive. It really is a brilliant piece of model-making, and you should be very proud of the outcome. Really looking forward to seeing whatever project might be next.

All the best,

Market65.

• RMweb Gold

Hello everyone,

Here's just a couple of pictures of the new wagons on the layout from the very enjoyable exhibition last weekend.

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Gonna start using 3 links from now onwards.

Thanks

Nelson

Hi, Nelson. Those are great photo's of the wagons in use. It will be interesting to see how the three link couplings work out, for I always seem to end up having buffer-locking problems if I try and use those couplings!

Glad you had an enjoyable exhibition.

All the best,

Market65.

Hi market, funnily enough I actually did have that happen, but I thought nothing of it, I'll see how it goes but I suspect everything will be alright,

Thanks spitfire, I'm alright with them, coupling and uncoupling didn't seem to be a problem with the help of a simple wire with a hook.

thanks Nelson.

Edited by Nelson Jackson

• 2 weeks later...

Hello everyone,

Sorry for the lack of updates, mainly because I lost my modelling mojo but a recent exhibition and a vist to Cultra soon fixed that.

This is only one of the superb O gauge scratch built engines that were seen running on "Stanfording" and it really is a wonderful model, hopefully one day I could be as good :)

post-19436-0-59208600-1408570787_thumb.jpg

And the visit to Cultra, Northern Ireland's only railway museum provided me with lots of modelling references, and to my amazement, some wagon drawings :)

post-19436-0-98471300-1408570908_thumb.jpg

My favourite locomotive of all time, U2 "Dunluce Castle".

post-19436-0-94871400-1408570957_thumb.jpg

And the only surviving BCDR locomotive No30.

So with my modelling mojo back and keen to do some modelling I've started work on a LMS NCC coal wagon (can't remember which variant) but for this one I've scratch built the frames, this way it's easier to get an accurate model in terms of dimensions etc, this is how much I've done so far,

post-19436-0-68881300-1408571185_thumb.jpg

post-19436-0-50545200-1408571289_thumb.jpg

Ooh the cruel close ups that us modellers hate ah well, it runs surprising quite well without bearings and sits in all 4 wheels nicely.

That's all for tonight folks, take care,

Nelson

• Like 13

Thanks guys ^

Here's this evenings update,

I got a bit more done on the chassis and its now finished and ready for a body to be built, yes the brakes are a bit over scale and its too high but I made the mistake by not measuring it until the glue had dried, so that's something to remember for the next wagons.

post-19436-0-16852500-1408649922_thumb.jpg

post-19436-0-47704100-1408649932_thumb.jpg

Very nice PD buffers.

Many thanks

Nelson

• Like 10

Hi Nelson,

I haven't caught up with your thread in a while so I was really pleased to see how you have progressed and some of the excellent work you are doing here. Well done that man!

All the best,

Castle

PS: 3 links really are the only way to go in my humble opinion too!

" This is only one of the superb O gauge scratch built engines that were seen running on "Stanfording" and it really is a wonderful model, hopefully one day I could be as good :) "

With the skill you show you're probably not far off that, or maybe even there!

Excellently painted figures too!

Thank you everyone for your kind words, I really apprecite it, thank you.

Hello everyone,

Firstly I must apologise to the rivet counters, as you can see the straps haven't got any rivets and the main reason for that is, I don't know how lol :)

I completed the body and the wagon is ready to be painted,

post-19436-0-39026800-1408903319.jpg

post-19436-0-28028600-1408903326.jpg

post-19436-0-56260000-1408903332.jpg

Sorry for the slow rate of progress I'm definitely not one of those modellers who can produce something like this in 1 day, I like to take my time.

Many thanks

Nelson

• Like 12

Hi

There are three basic ways you can do the rivets, first is to emboss them from behind as you would with brass, second is transfers of resin rivets, and thirdly drilling holes and inserting rods and lightly sand to dome them.

Nice work