Coombe Viaduct, Saltash and the Royal Albert Bridge

Kris

• RMweb Premium

I don't have easy access to one of those Andy.

I have further assessed the problem and it looks like most of the problems are actually caused by the fractionally higher section, which is then making the section containing the final 2 piers overly steep. Not quite sure what I will do about that now that I have identified it. I might need to deglue a little more to solve the problem.

• 3 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

Well it's a long time since I updated this thread. Progress has been very slow. It's been very busy at work, hectic would be the word and along side this I have been slowly (very) doing a loft conversion. However over the past few days I have been able to do a little to the layout. 

I have built the first couple of points using fiNetrax. They have gone together very well. You can see the way that these have been developed from Easi track. These developments have made the points much easier to build even if they are not as flexible as ones built using Easi track. I have also laid the down line across the viaduct. This has allowed me to check that the gradients I'm using are achievable. To test this the first train was run this afternoon. A 45xx with 5 collett coaches. The loco was able to start the train on the gradient with minimal slipping, a good sign.

With tomorrow looking rather wet again I hope that I will get the chance to lay the curves at each end of the layout for the down line. When I looked at this earlier in the week I established that without a little bodging I would not be able to keep the 12" minimum radius that I was aiming for. So bodging was done and all is now good. 

So why start with the down line? Well the up line needs a diamond crossing, something that has yet to be released, so I'm waiting on this. Should it not turn up then I will have to try going down the easy track route but with n gauge spacings. 

If more gets laid tomorrow then I'll take some pictures. 

• RMweb Premium

Not as much done today as I had hoped, never mind I still got some done. 

Just a few pictures to show where it's go to now.

post-163-0-71637200-1388952537_thumb.jpg

post-163-0-38046900-1388952539_thumb.jpg

post-163-0-81671800-1388952541_thumb.jpg

The legs are very temporary! 

• Like 15

• RMweb Premium

Thanks Andy. The last time I went up that part of the Tamar I had no interest in modelling this location so didn't take any photos of the viaduct. 

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Nearly a month has gone by since the last update, and well blow me down with a feather it's not come to a grinding halt. 

Since last posting I have laid most of the fiddle yard, although doing this has revealed that I should have made the boards wider, so an extension will be required at some point.

Within the fiddle yard I have

• 2 bi directional lines which will be used for local traffic, e.g. pannier and a couple of auto coaches. Local pick up goods etc. These are the shortest 2 loops yet they will both hold a tender loco and 6 mk1's
  • 2 loops for the up line, the longest of which will hold a tender loco and 8 or 9 mk1's
  • A single loop for the down line
  • The point work is also in place for adding further loops for the down line. 

I have started to wire the fiddle yard up. The droppers are now complete for all lines (I hope) and I have started to connect the wiring for the inter baseboard links. 

post-163-0-59060900-1391268495_thumb.jpg

That's all for now.

• Like 9

• RMweb Premium

Fiddle yard track work is all Peco, the stuff on the display board is fiNescale track. Having purchased the final point that I need for this a few weeks ago (about half price via ebay) all I need is for the diamond to be released. If that doesn't turn up in the next month or so I might have to create one myself so that I can complete the track work.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi Kris, just catching up on progress. That photo with the loco and five coaches on the viaduct already looks very good. It's going to be very special once the landscaping is done.

Good luck with the wiring, not my favourite part.

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

A very quick update to say that not a lot has happened. Part of the final point for the main line has been built and the diamond crossing has been purchased.

Beyond that this should look good running round the layout.

post-163-0-10304400-1393502133_thumb.jpg

• Like 13

• RMweb Premium

excellent! looking forward to more updates.

I recently noticed this addition to the CRS website. any use?

http://www.cornwallrailwaysociety.org.uk/uploads/7/6/8/3/7683812/3831417_orig.jpg

Fantastic, I've been looking for pictures like that for ages. When it comes to extending the layout towards the station this will be invaluable. 

• RMweb Premium

Coombe viaduct with scenery. The model scales well with the original photograph.

attachicon.gifcoombe viaduct overlay 1.jpg

It's looking really good Kris. Can't wait to see the finished item.

I'm glad that the model scales so well, its been the aim to do it without compromise. 

That's a great photo there  :no:

Edited by Kris

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

Work still progresses slowly. 

Since the last update I have now go the bones of the "on scene" point work in place. There are still several check rails missing and the chairs have yet to be glued down. 

The up main has now been completed up to just before the Saltash end. 

The next steps will be to fettle the down main as this is not as smooth as I would like it to be. After this I will need to wire the whole thing up. 

The shot with the passing trains on it was posed to encourage me to crack on. 

post-163-0-95068800-1396902077_thumb.jpg

post-163-0-61876600-1396902081_thumb.jpg

• Like 14

• RMweb Premium

Looking very good so far.

Are you going to do tide in or out?

Ian

Tides going to be in Ian. Saves having try and create the creek channels that run through under the viaduct. I have a feeling that part of the river bed here may also have been dredged at one point (on the Tamar side of the bridge) as a couple of pictures show what looks like a Clyde Puffer grounded on the North East bank only a few yards from the piers of the viaduct. If no dredging had occurred it would have taken a huge tide to get a boat of that size there.