acg5324

• RMweb Gold

These photos may well be after your period. I think that I took them on my way into the South London Warlords 'Salute' exhibition sometime in the 1990s. I used to paint wargames figures for one of the top 25/28mm figure painters and I sometimes went to Salute to see them on his stand.

Anyway they should give give you an excuse to have a wider range of rolling stock!

post-14351-0-69722400-1470662978_thumb.jpg

post-14351-0-63989700-1470662980_thumb.jpg

post-14351-0-52687200-1470662981_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

Thanks for that........I need little excuse to operate odd things. I have photos of a Flying Scotsman exhibition in the SE bay platforms which has potential too.

• RMweb Premium

Thanks for that........I need little excuse to operate odd things. I have photos of a Flying Scotsman exhibition in the SE bay platforms which has potential too.

I went to that in about 1973 - I might be in the photo!

• RMweb Premium

There was a drawing of the wooden-bodied Transfesa wagon published in a 1960s 'Model Railway Constructor'. They were noticeably shorter than the UIC-standard vans built for FS, BR, SNCB, SNCF and Yugoslavia, having a 7 metre wheelbase, rather than the 8m of the later types.

The article appears to be in the Sept 1966 issue.

• RMweb Premium

As promised some pictures from the Flying Scotsman exhibition at Olympia from my collection.......can't spot you John.

After 4472 'Flying Scotsman' was repatriated from the USA by Sir William McAlpine it was put on show at Kensington Olympia along with some historic coaches. 
Taken from the station footbridge we can see 4472 and several of the coaches along with a train of exhibition coaches including a cinema coach.
The exhibition was between the 1st and 10th August 1974. Date taken unknown. 

Photographer unknown

p1521642044-4.jpg

p1521642040-4.jpg

p1521642050-4.jpg

p1521642056-4.jpg

Edited by acg5324
  • Like 7

• RMweb Premium

Got on quite well with the other two ferry vans, this one needs some underframe parts as well as the airvents and etched parts. This is the one with end doors.

gallery_681_3216_26217.jpg

gallery_681_3216_11538.jpg

And all three together....the middle one is awaiting etched parts and some underframe/brake parts too.

gallery_681_3216_143763.jpg

Had a couple of Eureka! moments today. Making V hangers for the brake levers is always a PITA. I've always cut them out of a solid sheet to give strength...then realised that by using strip on edge I could bevel one and just glue the bits together!

The other issue has been making the Transfesa decals. This consists of a red circle which has a left and right hand red stub...a bit like a Underground symbol. I've tried drawing it without much luck, then I've downloaded a logo and tried to sharpen it up without much joy. I then twigged that it I just printed a red O and some red - I could join them together once I'd got the size right............watch this space.

• RMweb Premium

Bingo! after a trawl through the fonts I found that the Font Mackintosh SF produces completely circular O's ( no I'm not veering into Two Ronnies territory!! ) set at 36point they will be just the job......Decal paper on order...............

Edited by acg5324

• RMweb Premium

As promised some pictures from the Flying Scotsman exhibition at Olympia from my collection.......can't spot you John.

After 4472 'Flying Scotsman' was repatriated from the USA by Sir William McAlpine it was put on show at Kensington Olympia along with some historic coaches. 

Taken from the station footbridge we can see 4472 and several of the coaches along with a train of exhibition coaches including a cinema coach.

The exhibition was between the 1st and 10th August 1974. Date taken unknown. 

Photographer unknown

That's probably the same event although I seem to remember it being a lot more crowded when I was there. I'm definitely NOT the young bloke next to the sign board.

In the early 1980s, there was a big display of contemporary (mainly private-owner) freight stock held there; Paul Bartlett has a few shots from it on his web-site. Curiously, amongst all the usual suspects (Grainflow, Cargowaggon etc), there was an aluminium-bodied Swiss van, which wasn't registered for ferry use, or indeed, to UK loading gauge. I wonder how it got there?

• RMweb Premium

In the early 1980s, there was a big display of contemporary (mainly private-owner) freight stock held there; Paul Bartlett has a few shots from it on his web-site. Curiously, amongst all the usual suspects (Grainflow, Cargowaggon etc), there was an aluminium-bodied Swiss van, which wasn't registered for ferry use, or indeed, to UK loading gauge. I wonder how it got there?

Probably the same way as this.......when our Fleet guys wanted a unit moving with impossible conditions on it, such as restricted to 10mph and move during the peaks, we always said we would get the Chinook out!

I also went to an exhibition at Olympia in 1981

http://andygibbs.zenfolio.com/p488229174/h230E4B06#h230e4b06

You can just make out some of the wagons.

Edited by acg5324

• RMweb Premium

Probably the same way as this.......when our Fleet guys wanted a unit moving with impossible conditions on it, such as restricted to 10mph and move during the peaks, we always said we would get the Chinook out!

I also want to an exhibition at Olympia in 1981

http://andygibbs.zenfolio.com/p488229174/h230E4B06#h230e4b06

You can just make out some of the wagons.

You operators are all the same, always blaming the M&E engineers. Personally I reckon it's the Civils' fault.

• RMweb Premium

Today I have mostly been hanging curtains..............

gallery_681_3383_75075.jpg

Lots of FK's to do and then later a BCK....BR orange curtains. Printed an orange block on a sheet of A4 then cut into strips and shape to fit, glued to the inside with clear varnish.

On the iPad Within Temptation - In the middle of the night.

gallery_681_3383_36447.jpg

gallery_681_3383_44513.jpg

Now then do I have enough FK's...............and one FO....plus a Mk2 FK and a Mk2 BFK.

gallery_681_3383_8551.jpg

Forgot the CK,s that'll be another day.

Edited by acg5324
  • Like 11

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

The second and third Transfesa ferry wagons are now nearly complete after my order to Etched Pixels arrived. This included the vents for the van sides.....but not enough so I will have to order some more.

gallery_681_3216_107973.jpg

This is the van with end doors, just had a coating of white undercoat on the roof.

gallery_681_3216_76096.jpg

The end door van on the right and the the third van missing its lower vents.

gallery_681_3216_131043.jpg

The underframe sprayed satin black.

The decals for the painted van were also completed

gallery_681_3216_46345.jpg

Printed on my Inkjet printer they have come out quite well but have the usual problem of having a thick carrier film.

gallery_681_3216_64289.jpg

The colour match wasn't too bad either some weathering will blend that in nicely.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

A couple or three photos from the layout...................

gallery_681_3476_69776.jpg

47459 with the 1507 Brighton to Manchester Piccadilly

gallery_681_3476_9465.jpg

Passing 73002 on a freight train bound for Dover and the train ferry.

gallery_681_3476_83498.jpg

The 1507 Brighton to Manchester clearing the station.

I cant run anything yet, just playing you understand  :no:

• Like 12

• RMweb Premium

Testing, my friend...

Yes yes your quite right......its just a giant Brio set at the moment.......Debbie has been complaining about the Sulzer impressions!!

• RMweb Premium

Today I completed laying one complete line all the way round the work bench......sorry layout.......so here is a quick photo essay.

Running clockwise from the RH end of the fiddle yard.

gallery_681_2831_113945.jpg

gallery_681_2831_116870.jpg

gallery_681_2831_121677.jpg

gallery_681_2831_83633.jpg

Temp wires soldered to the track to see if anything works.....and it did!

gallery_681_2831_44923.jpg

gallery_681_2831_66167.jpg

gallery_681_2831_111065.jpg

gallery_681_2831_82330.jpg

gallery_681_2831_85951.jpg

gallery_681_2831_96337.jpg

gallery_681_2831_36452.jpg

gallery_681_2831_98886.jpg

The class 56 my only chipped loco had the pleasure of running about 2/3 of the way round the circuit until it reached the first set of insulated rail joiners..........quite a few track pins to push home before a full circuit can be made.

• Like 11

• RMweb Premium

The piles of foam board you can see are to set out the levels of the station and surrounding areas. The platforms are all at the same level as the road then climb south of the station to reach Kensington High Street and the road bridge.

I'm setting the platform height at 10mm plus a 1mm top. The road bridge level will be at 40mm. After cutting lots of 10mm strip I realised that you can get 10mm thick foam board so I'll order some of that to support the buildings.

Edited by acg5324

• RMweb Premium

It's a great feeling when the first train moves on a new layout - well done.

Thanks John, yes I was a pleasing moment. I do a poor Ruston engine impression, not helped by a cold I've picked up from nowhere so not complaints from Debbie about the noise....or mess!

Just need to get my finger out and get the rest of the track laid.....then the wiring....control panel, scenery.....it's almost like a hobby.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

And so back to work........on the layout.

We've been away on holiday with my sister and brother in law to Canada for three weeks.

Flew Gatwick to Calgary then drove to Vancouver via Emerald Lake, Golden, Jasper, Kamloops, Whistler and Victoria on Vancouver Island including getting two BC ferry routes in. We managed to get a reasonable amount of train action in visiting Morants curve near Lake Louise. Lake Louise and Banff stations the spiral tunnels near Field, Field itself, Golden, Jasper, Kamloops and Kamloops Lake.

I even managed to get a couple of model shops in, one in Victoria....more about that later and Central Hobbies Vancouver.

This was at the expense of having to go to a wool / knitting shop with my nearest and dearest.......I'm still having therapy for it......although it did mean another trip on the Vancouver sky train and got two trolley bus routes in as well!

Edited by acg5324
  • Like 1