acg5324

• RMweb Premium

The larger block of Russell Rd has had a trip out to the garage to sprayed in Dullcote. Hopefully this will protect the card and inks and stop any running when I start to weather the buildings lightly.  Three photos of them in situ on the layout. Once the second block is finished I'll restart some track laying...cold weather permitting.

gallery_681_3268_178632.jpg

gallery_681_3268_134500.jpg

gallery_681_3268_64688.jpg

Looking really good there. Starting to get a good impression of what it's gonna end up looking like

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

I've just finished the third block of town houses. This gets the buildings around the corner where the cheaper housing takes over!

I will post some pictures tomorrow hopefully.

• RMweb Premium

Well I've just discovered the garden shed roofing felt is flapping in the breeze, so guess what my job is this weekend!

Showing Mrs acg5324 how to nail the new felt on?

Actually what you need is a few BMRC members to come round and climb on the roof to fix it. As you know they have had plenty of experience of that over the last 40 years.

• RMweb Premium

Showing Mrs acg5324 how to nail the new felt on?

Actually what you need is a few BMRC members to come round and climb on the roof to fix it. As you know they have had plenty of experience of that over the last 40 years.

Debbie has been making a Malaysian Chicken curry for tonight's dinner...so I'll let her off...and at 5ft 3 she can't reach the middle of the roof. :)

Getting the club members round would have been a hoot especially as they are mostly getting on a bit. I can just see three or four of them on top of a 6x4 shed.........

• RMweb Premium

Well the garden shed got some attention over the weekend after the roofing felt blew off.....its lasted 10 years so not bad. I got some new timber for the bargeboards as well so the roof is nice and tight. Whilst it isnt in railway colours it does have a bit of a railway theme.

gallery_681_3476_69396.jpg

gallery_681_3476_45009.jpg

Yes I know it should be ER blue....but this is Brighton!

The Noch figures got delivered yesterday according to UPS.......you weren't in....oh yes we were.....so I've left them with a neighbour. Not a problem we talk to ours......which house number 9...we live at 23! So I tried 19 and 29 which are somewhat closer to home first....and no you guessed it they were at number 9.......the Lady who accepted the package was rather confused to why UPS had given them to her!

Anyway the scene has been set, three ladies inside the penthouse and a man banging on the window ( if you pardon the expression ) trying to get back in from the balcony.

No pictures to protect the innocent!

Edited by acg5324
  • Like 7

• RMweb Premium

Not much progress as we were away for the weekend with friends staying here so no trains other than getting to and from York to pick up the hire car. The pub is a real treat to eat at and the rooms are something else. A real indulgance......just need to save for the next one.

Anyway yesterday we had the treat of a steam charter to Eastbourne which I captured at Beddingham, between Lewes and Glynde.

p71529554-4.jpg

Link to the much larger hosted image.

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Got a tiny bit of track laying done this week plus soldering yet more sleepers at the baseboard joints. 

I've also made a start in wiring the busbar for the DCC. I'm using the blue and brown cores from a striped drum of lighting cable for the busbar with corresponding blue and brown droppers......itll look nice if nothing else. One board was completed

and the the Digitrax Zephyr connected....woh.....lots of short circuits. I suspected the scissors crossover was the issue to this was removed to no avail. After a bit of trial and error.....this is my first DCC layout.......I found that I need to gap the rails from the frogs at each set of points. I'd already gapped the crossovers but didn't realise that I needed to do it elsewhere. Anyway that appears to have cured the shorts and a tentative test run was made with the class 56 along the one board.

I'll add some photos in later.

• RMweb Premium

OK a bit of a photo catch up................

The first board to gain any wiring...a reminder on the top for what connects to what!

.gallery_681_4124_13973.jpg

My upside down lighting

gallery_681_4124_13333.jpg

Droppers to the busbars

gallery_681_4124_5993.jpg

and soldered. Heatshrink to add.

gallery_681_4124_21355.jpg

..........and finally what to do with one of the A1 sheets of foam board...instant test track and so light too!

gallery_681_4124_26178.jpg

• Like 8

• RMweb Premium

OK a bit of a photo catch up................

The first board to gain any wiring...a reminder on the top for what connects to what!

.gallery_681_4124_13973.jpg

My upside down lighting

gallery_681_4124_13333.jpg

Droppers to the busbars

gallery_681_4124_5993.jpg

and soldered. Heatshrink to add.

gallery_681_4124_21355.jpg

..........and finally what to do with one of the A1 sheets of foam board...instant test track and so light too!

gallery_681_4124_26178.jpg

Andy, if you offset the connections to the brown and blue buses you won't need to fiddle around with heat shrink.

When I saw the last photo I thought you had taken a picture of my A3 foam board sheet with a T gauge oval on it. That will become the Pentowan Miniature Railway in due course.

• RMweb Premium

Andy, if you offset the connections to the brown and blue buses you won't need to fiddle around with heat shrink.

When I saw the last photo I thought you had taken a picture of my A3 foam board sheet with a T gauge oval on it. That will become the Pentowan Miniature Railway in due course.

That's good then I've already offset the connections. The heat shrink was only a £1 from Barnitts in York so might do it still once everything is wired up.

Are you going to get a train for the miniature railway?

Looking forward to the beer tuesday night.

Edited by acg5324

• RMweb Premium

That's good then I've already offset the connections. The heat shrink was only a £1 from Barnitts in York so might do it still once everything is wired up.

Are you going to get a train for the miniature railway?

Looking forward to the beer tuesday night.

Yes, I will convert the Japanese EMU that is part of the set.

Good to catch up with you and the boys last night. Had a fruitful visit to the Hobby Box today as well.

All the best.

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Well its back to work ( on the layout ) after the Christmas break. We spent Christmas at my wifes parents in York, for the first time we decided to drive up in the evening rather than very early morning so set off at 1845 already knowing the M25 was completly blocked near Sevenoaks so had had to go the wrong way round the M25 via Heathrow and the M1. With just a loo stop at Leicester Forest we pulled into the driveway at 2315. 4hrs 30 mins not bad at all. Made up for it coming home as after a clear run as far as Cambidge we were stop start all the way to Clacket Lane on the M25 and it took 5 3/4 hrs.

Nothing train related for Christmas other than a nice screwdriver set I ordered myself!

Its far to cold to do any work in the loft so I've started to finish off some projects.

My order from Etched Pixels arrived just before Christmas so I've been able to finish the third of the Transfesa vans bar spraying etc ......too cold for that for a few months!!!

gallery_681_3216_41552.jpg

I've had a spare BR Commer PB van that I wanted to turn into a BT van for ages having got the decals ages ago so with the addition of a bit of plasticard for roof rails and an etched ladder......voila

gallery_681_2306_6347.jpg

Its been dirtied up a bit since I took the photo.

Another been sitting around for ages has been one of the Ergo cabs I got from PG Models this has now been mated with a cut down eight wheel Oxford diecast chassis to make this 6 wheeled tipper

gallery_681_2306_25240.jpg

This will be sprayed orangey- red to become a Hall and Co wagon.

I went to order some Bachmann 36-558A decoders last week to find that they have been discontinued. They were around £15 each and have been 'superceded' by ones costing £25 each. A hunt round on the Internet

found Coastal DCC had DCC concepts ZN6D decoders for £80 for 5. Great price and great service they were on my doorstep the following day.

A start has been made on the 3rd and 4th Newton Chambers Mk1 car carriers, I'll get as far as I can before I need to spray them.

I just need to hope that GF announce the later style body for the class 25/3 on Sunday before I start looking for a class 25/2 to convert. One of the batch from 25083-087 look favourite as they have new style bodies with steam heat so the underframe of the 25/2 wont need chopping.

On that note Happy New Year.

Edited by acg5324
  • Like 8

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Well nearly a month since the last update and not much modelling done due to reasons I wont go into just yet, but it involves last weekends trip to York.

I was able to get the following 4 slides on ebay recently.....so here they are for your enjoyment.

p2192945376-4.jpg

33054 at Latchmere Jct with a train of ferry vans mainly Transfesa, undated.

p2192945409-4.jpg

Latchmere Jct 50021 Rodney with a SR GUV and a brakevan in tow. May 1983

p2192945379-4.jpg

Kensington south main, 50011 Centurion with a train of mainly HTV coal hoppers. June 1983.

p2192945386-4.jpg

Kensington South Main and 37044 with a refurbed class 307 in tow enroute back from Eastleigh? to Ilford? June 1983.

All four images taken from the signalboxes.

Edited by acg5324
  • Like 10

• RMweb Premium

Well nearly a month since the last update and not much modelling done due to reasons I wont go into just yet, but it involves last weekends trip to York.

I was able to get the following 4 slides on ebay recently.....so here they are for your enjoyment.

33054 at Latchmere Jct with a train of ferry vans mainly Transfesa, undated.

Latchmere Jct 50021 Rodney with a SR GUV and a brakevan in tow. May 1983

Kensington south main, 50011 Centurion with a train of mainly HTV coal hoppers. June 1983.

Kensington South Main and 37044 with a refurbed class 307 in tow enroute back from Eastleigh? to Ilford? June 1983.

All four images taken from the signalboxes.

Wrong headcode on the first one?

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Wrong headcode on the first one?

I quick check of my SR Freight WTT shows BD as a Dover to LMR via Chatham and the WLL......so OK.

Now then a couple of photos to explain the lack of posts and progress from me ........................KPA is being dismantled..............................................cos.......................

gallery_681_3476_60496.jpg

gallery_681_3476_71464.jpg

.......................after only being on the market for a week it looks like we've sold our house.......just as well as we had an offer in on a house in Haxby, York that has been waiting since the end of January for acceptance because our house wasn't even on the market!

• Like 1