St Agnes Station Building in 4mm

Stubby47

• RMweb Gold

A bit of history

St Agnes lies on what remains of the Chacewater to Newquay line. Surprisingly, the station building itself still exists, this itself is quite remarkable not only as it's 50 years since the line was closed, but because the major re-working of the station track layout didn't result in its demolition. 

As with most conventional station buildings, St Agnes was originally built between the station approach and the platform. The track plan was a simple single line platform, with a loop line through the goods shed.

(Images reproduced with permission from the publishers, Middleton Press)

post-7025-0-83555700-1379764842_thumb.jpg

C.Benney coll.

However, in July 1937, it was decided to relay the track at St. Agnes to incorporate a passing loop and include an island platform. This meant the main station building was now some distance from the platform and required that the platform awning be repositioned on the non-rail side.

post-7025-0-46319300-1379764882_thumb.jpg

P.J.Garland/R.S.Carpenter coll.

The building today

The station building is now used for a variety of uses. Some of the old offices are now a private dwelling, with the old fireplaces still in use. Another part is now a private military museum. The re-positioned platform awning has had walls and windows added and now hosts a metal fabrication business office.

The brickwork has been repainted in an overall red colour, with the lower footings in black and the window sills in yellow, but here and there the original brick colours can be seen. The ground level has been raised almost to the height of the original platform and one of the windows has now been converted into a door - in contrast the 1937 conversion actually had all of the doors to the platform completely bricked up.

post-7025-0-93702100-1379765071_thumb.jpg

post-7025-0-91674200-1379765079_thumb.jpg

The model

The model is to be of the post 1937 arrangement. Construction will be in embossed plasticard and bespoke windows. I've been up today and taken some more photos and some basic measurements, and have also noted the pattern of brickwork used. The challenges will be in the window returns ( these are in a 1/4 round brick ), the inset downpipes (square cast iron) and the bricked up doorways (not quite all traces have gone, there's just enough to be noticeable).

Construction should start in the near future - photos of progress and decisions & details of methods used will be added here.

Your comments, of course, are always welcome.

Stu.

Great pictures and backround information.

After our chat last night it got me motivated on getting things sorted.

Such as baseboard, foam structured cutting and road bridge.

Again, thanks to your bespoke offering i can reproduce St.Agnes as closley as possible. With the station building being the 'centre of attention'

Cheers

Jack

• RMweb Gold

Had a play in Sketchup and have produced these two views :

post-7025-0-65865600-1379779111_thumb.gif

post-7025-0-91791300-1379779114_thumb.gif

These don't detail the curved brick used on each corner of the building and each side of every door & window.

Edit : The view of the original platform side is incorrect with the number and spacing of the windows - I must try harder.

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

Right, here we go...

The main carcass will be made from a fairly stiff foamboard ( sourced from Ian Morton ) to provide a strong frame. Large apertures will be left for the window / door combinations. Then there will be a layer of 1.5mm mount card, which will define the window and door surrounds. The outer layer will be SEF brick sheet.

The windows will be printed onto OHP transparent film.

The roof will be something to be decided, the re-positioned platform awning will probably be built from Ratio Sration building bits.

Paint will be splodged later to enhance the good bits.

Simples !

• RMweb Gold

Track-side wall mainly complete, needs the additional layers of brick along the top.

Front wall shell and inner complete, needs cladding in SEF brickwork.

End walls not done, will need to blend them in to the main walls.

Also need to build a plinth to sit on, which will be visible track-side but burried at the front.

No photos yet...

• RMweb Gold

As far as I know, there are no photos of the station approach side of St Agnes station building. Also, even though the building is still there, I'm not sure how representitive of the original facade the current door and window configuration is.

So, I've taken a slight slice of modeller's licence and guestimated this elevation...

The wall now has the brickwork and window/door arches complete.

Next step will be to form the building shape with the two end walls, and create the curved brick corners. This will mean, I think, an application of heat at some point, which even in tropical Cornwall will be quite welcome at the moment !

• RMweb Gold

...this building will have a footprint of 230mm x 60mm - how does that fit with you station plan ?

Slight amendment to the building size, it will now be 270mm (the extra half height window) x 120mm ( I forgot to add the awning).

• RMweb Gold

Finally, I've got some photos... can't seem to load them in position, so they're added as attachments.

First is from the station approach side, next two are from the track side.

Some work needs doing around the windows, plus the rest of the SEF brickwork needs adding, but I'm happy so far ( just hope Jack is...)

post-7025-0-05917200-1385821130_thumb.jpg

post-7025-0-25198800-1385821133_thumb.jpg

post-7025-0-47892900-1385821137_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Gold

First coat of paint added this evening - looking much better than plain white.

Next is to finish the window surrounds and the plinth, then add the chimneys and roof.

Despite the awning having some posts to support it, I'll add some horizontal brass struts, through the building, to provide some strength.

• RMweb Gold

Having slapped the paint on, I decided that the upper rows of bricks were not deep enough, so they've been prised off and a bigger set added.

This pic also shows the window sills, prior to being carved into the correct shape.

post-7025-0-60310700-1386077049_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Gold

Had a bit of a play with some window frame images in Paint this evening. Once I'd got the dimensions correct, I re-coloured in green and added some shadow, then printed on to OHP film.

However, the ink won't dry on the film, on either side, so plan B is to print on sticky labels instead and cut the frames out.

Archived