pitbull1845

Good luck with the new arrival ! Don't know how you find the time, mine. Are 6 and 10 now so more time available for daddy toys...

So shall we have a sweepstake on how long before you change theme.....I'll have £1 on 2 months :)

Hi David,

I think you're right about the tunnel. I'll remove it and work on the cutting. Need to find the best way of modelling a rock face. I did do it once before when I was modelling a quarry but cant for the life of me remember how!

Hi,

Made my rocks in the cutting for ' Kinlochewe ' using polystyrene block cut to shape with a sharp knife - then covered with Polly-filla mixed with some PVA adhesive and spread with spatula. Just before drying shaped some more and finally painting with testor pots from B&Q. Final finishing with darker shades of grey and finally dry brushing with same grey with white added. Hope this helps.

Bill.

post-3775-0-57046600-1380659781.jpg

post-3775-0-77500500-1380659800.jpg

Evening,

Thanks for the comments and congratulations, as expected no work on the layout, so my rock faces will have to wait. Back to work tomorrow too, so it's going to be a while before I can get anything done.

Bill, thanks for the images and tips, just what I'm hoping to achieve.

Like I say, no progress on the layout but I do have a new member of the fleet. My only concern is that the BR Arrows seem overly large?? I've had a quick look on flickr and cant seem to find a picture of 025 and massive arrows..

post-6849-0-17220300-1380746951.jpg

Here's a comparison shot with 408. The 26 wanted to make another appearance too...

post-6849-0-85835300-1380746960.jpg

I'll continue to look for an image but otherwise it may be out with the T-cut and cotton buds!

Edit~~ It would help if I researched the right number, 025 and not 035!  I'm thinking that this livery was a repaint of the large logo livery quite a few years after, like  a celebrity type paint job. Most of the images for my time 88-90 have a smaller logo, then it goes engineers colours and then it would appear to go back into large logo. I'll keep looking into it, sorry for waffling on! 

Edit Again- Looks like this livery is current for 1994 onwards. might see if I can find a suitable loco to change it into, and replace the logos...  More research!

• RMweb Gold

Woo hoo he's back with more and my favourite BR area and era too :)

If you need to play with the woodland scenics rock moulds give me a buzz, they are with a mate at present but I can nab them back to let you have a play. I've got quite a selection from doing the canyon on Rhatia. I used Das air drying clay about 2-3mm thick pressed in 'digitally', let it dry for 6-12 hrs and it's still malleable enough to bend to the shape of the polystyrene underneath. Let it dry for 24hrs and you can snap it and create outcrops etc too. I used a cheaper clay to fill the gaps between the Das clay mouldings but it was no use for casting the big areas as it cracked. If you want a demo give me a shout ;)

Evening,

Thanks for the offer Paul, I'm going to try the poly-filla route first, but I may well give you a shout if my attempts fail and I need to try the Woodland Scenics moulds.
I haven't been out in the garage for a couple of days now, just haven't had the time. I had another 2 Large Logo 37's arrive Saturday so I really need to crack on with things.

One thing that I'm not sure about is the Woodland scenic inclines, by that I mean fixing the track onto them and ballasting as there are huge gaps between each block. I guess I'm going to have to glue the track onto card stuck onto the risers.

I also need to sort out the platforms , so I can visualise the station area, I'm already thinking that the Fort Augustus location might not be busy enough for my passenger and freight services!

Lots to do and no time to do it in... Not even a photo for you this time!

• RMweb Gold

Polyfila works well too but is a little harder to control, there's a technique I've used where you put it on with a fairly stiff mix then wet a 1inch paintbrush in water and lightly stipple the surface. Keep cleaning the brush so it doesn't pick up to much plaster and keep it wet. As it pulls out of the plaster the peaks should fall back and give a nice rocky finish without sharp points. You need to work on areas of max about a foot square or it goes off before you texture it. Then stain with dilute poster paints, thin washes of grey and maybe brown.

• RMweb Gold

Here are the results I got with Polyfilla and washes of poster paint about 10 years back. This was for N gauge and you'd have to look at the colours in the area to decide how many washes to use. I'd go for static grass too now ;)

post-6968-0-31767900-1381459792.jpg

post-6968-0-05140800-1381459811.jpg

post-6968-0-53343400-1381459820.jpg

post-6968-0-42835200-1381459830.jpg

Hi . I also have a west to east highland layout set in 88 as that was the first of many trips up the whl. I've used woodland scenic risers for Meanachs inclines . I also used their track bed as that covers the gaps and provides a nice shoulder for ballast . If you find anyway of printing 88 style Scotrail station signs then please let me know! I'll follow this layout with much interest .

Thanks Paul for the tips on the use of poly filla and the pictures of your work. Very good. 

I have managed a bit of time in the garage and dare I say it, I've been messing around with the track plan. I feel I may have peaked to early with the Fort Augustus theme!  Its now  looking like a reasonably sized terminus station with small yard and depot..... As I said on a previous post, the amount of stuff I want to run wouldn't work with a small station in the middle of nowhere.

I'm thinking the station may have to move South, and be a bit like Glasgow Queen Street.. I've got a DMU arriving soon and from what I've read is a bit of a wolf in sheep's clothing. Looks ok to me though but then I'm not one to worry about exact details. My diesels don't even run on diesel!

I'm also thinking I may have to re-name the thread to "Scott Rail" until I've sorted out what I'm actually going to do!

• RMweb Gold

Oh I dunno, Fort Augustus could have built up quite a large station as a result of taking over the canal traffic. Imagine another deposit of aluminium ore in the mountains to the East, brought down by cableway or a narrow gauge tramway and incline. Another possibility would be a branch to the West via Invergarry and Loch Quoich built to serve a fictions military base in WW1 and subsequently turned into a major munitions storage base as it's remote. Bringing more traffic in and having a decent sized community built up around the railway would justify a larger station and keep the Great Glen theme. Mountains make for a good reason to have a long narrow site ;)

Thanks for the suggestions Paul, I will continue to think it over. However the pull of an inner city terminus is also quite strong. The latest addition to the fleet would feel more at home with a retaining wall as a backdrop rather than mountains.

post-6849-0-94339600-1381677285.jpg

post-6849-0-80775000-1381677272.jpg

It arrived yesterday and is pictured on what's left of my old Redbrook layout.

• RMweb Premium

Thanks for the suggestions Paul, I will continue to think it over. However the pull of an inner city terminus is also quite strong. The latest addition to the fleet would feel more at home with a retaining wall as a backdrop rather than mountains.

attachicon.gifDSCF0508.JPG

attachicon.gifDSCF0507.JPG

It arrived yesterday and is pictured on what's left of my old Redbrook layout.

nice model.

Evening,

Nice to see a few of the regulars finding their way up north!

I've still got a fair bit of my modern stock, I've sold a few locos and wagons though to pay for the latest stuff. I still want to keep the 90's stuff, I'm probably going to make a portable layout too which will more than likely be a depot of some description. Just want somewhere to park my stock.

I've just grabbed half an hour in the garage playing about with the track, Are there many terminus stations with a small yard next to them anywhere north of the border that accommodates large logo 37's, orange DMU's and freight oh and a has parcels and a sleeper service. :jester:

You wait, next I'll be thinking about going all the way round the garage again!

Evening,

Nothing to report as such, work and family life seems to be preventing me spending more that 10 minutes at a time in the garage at the moment. I'm still fiddling about with the track plan though and can't quite get it right at the moment.

I have just won some coaching stock on Ebay so hopefully when that arrives I'll be able to visualise the station area a bit better and work it out. I have to admit I do keep looking at Airthrey Park for inspiration. A scaled down version of that layout would be great but need to make it my own really.

As usual, I've got plenty of ideas but lack the aptitude to turn them into reality..

Hopefully I will have some pictures and progress for you shortly.

Evening Scott

I'm surprised you manage to grab any time at all with the layout with what you've got on your plate - enoyable as it is.

All I can hope is that I don't just about finish all the helixes at Beresford Junction then decide to saw it all up and follow you North of the border.

Looking forward to any pics.

Phil

12 days ! Can I claim my £1 ?

I think a strong focus is important, I have also suffered from drift in the original idea.

Anything rural Scottish just won't have the intensity of operation you are after.......maybe build the other end of Waverley to link with our friend on here ?!

Hi Phil,

I need that 10 mins to keep me sane!  Your layout is coming on really well so I don't think you need worry about moving across, you can always come south west and get your fix here of large logo (once I have a plan!)

rob D2,  I'm still the same era and location so you can't have your winnings just yet..  I get what your saying about the operation, its a fair point but I do like the idea of the rural terminus and small yard etc....  equally I like the sound of a busy station like Waverley or Queen Street. Maybe I should go "N", that way I could fit both in!  Now theres an idea......
:scratchhead: 

Archived