Prototype for everything corner.

Nothing different from any of the big power Station here such as Drax or Ferrybridge.

It appears not to be a true merry-go-round, where there is no need to uncouple the loco from the train. If anything, the track arrangement is closer to that of the Redland terminal at Radlett; The train does a complete circuit, then the loco is uncoupled, and runs around to the other end of the train.

Thought this early 90s footage may be of interest. Fast forward to around 11mins 40secs to see 86229 arriving with a mix of Mk 1 Mark 2 and Mk 3 passenger stock in same train. That was fairly common I hear you say. But in this clip, the Mark 1s are not just the usual BG and Buffet!.

Youtube is a good source of the weird and wonderful. I have seen videos containing pairs of 86s on MGRs and a class 45 hauling Mark 3s for example

Edited by 86250
  • Like 3

Thought this early 90s footage may be of interest. Fast forward to around 11mins 40secs to see 86229 arriving with a mix of Mk 1 Mark 2 and Mk 3 passenger stock in same train. That was fairly common I hear you say. But in this clip, the Mark 1s are not just the usual BG and Buffet!.

Youtube is a good source of the weird and wonderful. I have seen videos containing pairs of 86s on MGRs and a class 45 hauling Mark 3s for example

14.30: Never seen one of them at S-O-T, ever!

• RMweb Premium

It might well be a shunting move but it definitely isn't in Station Limits.

According to the original post attached to the photo on the Flickr site it would appear not to be a shunt move - therefore someone forgot to affix a tail lamp. Alternatively of course, some scroat could have nicked said tail lamp somewhere on the journey.

According to the original post attached to the photo on the Flickr site it would appear not to be a shunt move - therefore someone forgot to affix a tail lamp. Alternatively of course, some scroat could have nicked said tail lamp somewhere on the journey.

It also said it was sent straight back on the return working as not for the docks. Probably should have been left at Eastleigh, which makes Train prep the main issue even if just the lack of a tail lamp.

• RMweb Gold

If somebody with any knowledge of proper procedures had been to the rear of the train and seen that there was no tail lamp, they would have found one and put it there, and done a continuity test at the same time.  All that is required is that the train pipe cock is opened and the brakes confirmed to be on on the rear 8 axles.  If there is no tail lamp and there should be, it means that no such person has been to the rear of the train.  It is the guard's responsibility to ensure that this is done, and to sign the 'load slip' which is the driver's authority to take the train out.

What has probably happened is that the tank has been added to the load by yard staff somewhere who have assured the traincrew that all is in order, and the traincrew have taken their word for it.  Sloppy, shoddy, and potentially dangerous.  I wonder if the brake pipes were even connected on it!  Note that I am extrapolating that something along these lines accounts for the situation, and not stating it to be fact or accusing anyone of anything, but I'll bet you the next round that if you removed the tank wagon, you'd see a tail lamp and the brake hoses properly stowed with the cocks shut on the rear container wagon...