Prototype for everything corner.

• 3 weeks later...

Hows this for modelling accuracy? Model this and everyone would decry it.

post-2049-0-38559700-1538853122.jpg

Welney Road, Manea, in the Fens. The LC is straight ahead, with Manea station out of picture to the right towards March, and the Welney bridges to the left towards Ely.

Note the angle of the electricity poles on the left of the road, along with the road sign. And on the right of the road by the lorry yard entrance, the single pole leaning the other way.

Stewart

Edited by stewartingram
  • Like 8

attachicon.gifWP_20181006_002.jpg

Welney Road, Manea, in the Fens. The LC is straight ahead, with Manea station out of picture to the right towards March, and the Welney bridges to the left towards Ely.

Note the angle of the electricity poles on the left of the road, along with the road sign. And on the right of the road by the lorry yard entrance, the single pole leaning the other way.

Stewart

This is not in any way racist related, but could it be polish modelling?

WP_20181006_002.jpg

Stewart

There is or certainly were similar drunken poles along the road from Bourne towards Twenty. Having driven along that road quite frequently some years ago if it was windy it really used to howl across the road. I sometimes had the steering wheel a quarter turn into the wind to keep a straight line, so I suspect the poles have been pushed over by the effect of the wind on the wires.

Stewart

Any chance the single pole leaning in the opposite direction is some kind of strainer post, i.e. the lean is intentional?

• RMweb Premium

Stewart

Hi Stewart.

Any chance of putting a Google Map link?

I've been looking around Manea and can't find a road that matches the picture.

Cheers

EDIT

Found it. It's Wisbech Road (According to Google)

https://goo.gl/maps/D6Cz7frqfRr

Keith

Edited by melmerby

• RMweb Gold

More likely to be subsidence as the ground sinks and shifts with drainage.

The weight of traffic on the road and the roadway itself will also push the poles outwards.

Regards

Ian

Agreed; they'd all be leaning the same way if it was wind.  Almost everything in the Fens is affected by drainage!

• RMweb Premium

When travelling to Kings Cross over quite a few years it was noticable how many of the poles on Stilton Fen had a "lean" on, in fact it was debatable whether the poles were supporting the wires or the wires were supporting the poles! I also remember 20 odd years ago, a university (it could have been Cambridge) doing some experiments on Stilton Fen with lots of cages of house bricks stacked up to simulate the "weight" of a house to see how much settlement/lean would occur if houses were built on such land (e.g. more than the odd scattering of farm house type dwellings). Not sure what became of the research/results, but by the fact that no large-scale housing developments have taken place on that particular area of land I assume house building was not viable.

When travelling to Kings Cross over quite a few years it was noticable how many of the poles on Stilton Fen had a "lean" on, in fact it was debatable whether the poles were supporting the wires or the wires were supporting the poles! I also remember 20 odd years ago, a university (it could have been Cambridge) doing some experiments on Stilton Fen with lots of cages of house bricks stacked up to simulate the "weight" of a house to see how much settlement/lean would occur if houses were built on such land (e.g. more than the odd scattering of farm house type dwellings). Not sure what became of the research/results, but by the fact that no large-scale housing developments have taken place on that particular area of land I assume house building was not viable.

If you look out on most parts of the railway you will generally find poles, signal posts and oil structures leaning at jaunty angles.

There was a Class 365 which brought the wires down on the Kings Lynn road a few years back.  It happened because the ole masts had, over time, leaned away from the vertical sufficiently to pull the contact wire outside the allowable lateral tolerance.

• RMweb Premium

There was a Class 365 which brought the wires down on the Kings Lynn road a few years back.  It happened because the ole masts had, over time, leaned away from the vertical sufficiently to pull the contact wire outside the allowable lateral tolerance.

Unless a mast "went over" all of a sudden, that would suggest maintenance hadn't been doing the "height and stagger" checks for quite sometime.

• RMweb Premium

If you look out on most parts of the railway you will generally find poles, signal posts and oil structures leaning at jaunty angles.

I've not seen many signal posts at jaunty angles in my 45 years on the railway, only the odd one or two. Some of the OLE masts, particularly on the ECML, were set at a slight angle away from the railway on purpose anyway.