NGS Journal

grahame

My seed/sample copy of issue 5/18 turned up in the post this morning (along with my Oct/Nov 2mmSA magazine). That means they've been printed and presumably now in the post to all N Gauge Society members. Look out for your copy in the next day or two.

G

• Like 4

Mine arrived today and It’s another good one. I was dismayed to read in your editorial that the majority of members have dismissed the option of a larger format magazine, if it makes production easier but the same quality of content remains what is the problem? I’d rather have a larger magazine than none.

When I lived overseas I was hoping for a digital version of the magazine as our postal service was so dire. Now I’m back in the UK problem solved.

Mine arrived today and It’s another good one. I was dismayed to read in your editorial that the majority of members have dismissed the option of a larger format magazine, if it makes production easier but the same quality of content remains what is the problem? I’d rather have a larger magazine than none.

It was just the majority of those at the AGM (probably around 50) and not of all members. It wasn't a binding directive vote (there was no proposer and seconder) and was just a straw poll of the feeling of those at the AGM for feedback. Oddly enough no-one spoke directly to me about it.

AFAIC things like format, content, design, and editorial policy are the responsibility of the editor. If the NGS membership want to control and vote on such things I can't see how production and publishing would work - I certainly wouldn't want to continue under such a regime.

G

• RMweb Premium

Hi Grahame,

I don't think the membership are too worried about the content, design etc (appart from "there's too much steam/diesel/British" etc). A change from A5 to A4 possibly warrents further discussion - although I wonder how the switch from A4 to A5 was managed years ago;

Do you have time to layout out a couple of pages in A4 and A5 so that members can see what the benefits to readers will be? I suspect most aren't worried about how long it takes to put together, but are more concerned about larger picures vs finding a taller shelf to keep them on.

Steven B.

I have some really old copies of the journal from the 1980s, it was A5 then and the copy was typewritten, so it’s been that size for a long time. Perhaps the size was chosen because of postage costs?

I think the larger size might be better as larger photographs would show the layouts off better but then you have the problem of photographic files being large enough and the photos being of sufficient quality.

I don't have time to produce an A4 issue (already spending an inordinate amount of time trying to squeeze things in to A5) just as a mock-up for people to see. But how it could look can easily be seen by checking out other model railway magazine titles like BRM, Hornby Magazine, Model Rail, N Gauge Now, (Railway Modeller is actually larger than A4) and other society journals like DEMU UPDate, Merg, Scalefour, Gauge O Guild, and so on.

The NGS Journal was A4 size and even sold commercially at one time so A4 would be nothing new. I don't see why it needs to be an issue to be concerned about. Content won't change and quality, readability and layout will improve. Shelf size is a red herring (I checked someone's shelves who said they were designed for A5 but demonstrated that A4 would still fit) but if it was a real issue for a few (although I wonder where they store other magazines and books larger than Penguin sized paperbacks) then A4 Journals could still be accommodated on them laying down and/or replaced at the year end with the annual CD produced.

G

• RMweb Premium

I don't have time to produce an A4 issue (already spending an inordinate amount of time trying to squeeze things in to A5) just as a mock-up for people to see.

Grahame, I didn't mean a whole Journal - just a single article on a double page spread might be enough to change some minds...

Steven B.

Grahame, I didn't mean a whole Journal - just a single article on a double page spread might be enough to change some minds...

It's rather impractical (and costly) to arrange the printing and circulation of a full size sample spread. And on a 'phone, tablet or monitor (unless at least A3 size) it will just look tiny and cramped, and wont demonstrate the full benefit. Far better, easier and cheaper to look at an existing A4 sized model railway magazine.

G.

Size and format aside, the good news is that I've got all the articles and features in, laid out and completed for the next issue (6/18). I like to have sorted all the editorial (features and articles) which is non-time dependant by the time the previous issue is published which then gives just a few weeks to complete the issue (with the news, reviews, letters, advertising and the Newsletter) before the copy deadline. And it looks like this will be a larger issue (around) 96 pages compared to the 84 of issue 5/18 especially for the last of the year and the Christmas holiday season.

G.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

The copy dead line for Journal 6/18 has now passed and I'm putting the final finishing touches to it before generating the print ready files and sending it off to the printers. That means I'm in a position to let people know what will be included. As usual it contains a wealth of iNteresting and iNspirational content for all N gauge enthusiasts especially for the winter holiday season. There’s plenty of ‘how to’ articles including:

• HOW TO GET THE BEST OUT OF 3D PRINTS - Steve Da Costa (of Atso Cad) provides a masterclass of how to prepare 3D printed models ready for painting.
• POINT RODDING - Roger Beckwith shows how he made and added point rodding to his ‘Wrenton’ layout.
• SR THIRD RAIL TRACK - Eddie Palmer explains an innovative method for modelling SR conductor rail track.
• HOW TO BUILD A SIMPLE KIT - A photo feature demonstrating one way to assemble a simple plastic kit.
• BUILDING AN UN-REBUILT PATRIOT - Howard Staniforth describes how he produced one using a 3D printed body.
• BASHING A BEER TANKER - Another photo feature about making a typical beer road tanker from the 1980s.

Plus the Journal includes a wide range of other exclusively N gauge articles :

• Bungallow - A dockside layout by Robert Rowlands
• Roads - All you need to know about widths and types to model them accurately by Neil Dahlgaard-Sigsworth
• Something Like Wylam - Peter Brown describes a high-level signal box project
• Modelling a Wheat Field - Derek Farmer demonstrates creating a cameo corner
• Class 33 N Focus - A brief look at the real locos and the models available in N gauge
• Annual Model Making Competition - A selection of photos of some of the entries at the 2018 AGM
• Centre Page Spread - Newcastle-by-the-Water
• A GWR Signal - Malcolm Kitchen builds one with co-acting arms
• Tooley Street - A look at models of the buildings in this famous London street
• Baseboard Supports - An ideal solution from Ian Dare
• Cromer Models & the Dennis E Bus - Ken Jones tells the story
• Bledington Mill - Stuart Brasier showcases this fine building model
You’ve Never Had It So Good (Part 2) - Neil Walker recounts the suppliers he has used for his latest layout
Shifting Sand - Stuart Brasier presents his roster of sand wagons

And, of course, all the usual regulars like:

- What’s New in N – 13 pages of N gauge news and reviews
- Mail Train – letters from members
- The Newsletter – the separate Society business supplement

post-33-0-97500700-1540460196_thumb.jpg

Don't forget that if your membership is due for renewal or lapsed to re-join promptly to make sure that your copy is delivered directly to your home. The expected delivery period week commencing 19th November.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

I gave up membership some years ago as I was very disappointed with the content.

Looks as though there has been a major improvement since and I may well rejoin.

I've been there myself as an editor on the A4/A5 debate. Various production/postage issues may arise (although it looks as though it is now so thick at A5 that it will attract the higher postage rate anyway). But there can be no sensible doubt that to give good coverage and presentation of modelmaking issues (photos, drawings, etc.), A4 has to be a far better answer. More appealing to advertisers too.

I gave up membership some years ago as I was very disappointed with the content.

Looks as though there has been a major improvement since and I may well rejoin.

Well worth it IMO. For just £16 per year you get 6 issues each of the Journal and the Newsletter. That equates to less that £2.70 for each issue (of the pair) delivered by post to your door. And you get access to the exclusive large range of wagon kits and the growing range of RTR.

But I would say that. Best check out the main NGS website.

G

• 4 weeks later...