Traeth Mawr -Building Mr Price's house , (mostly)

ChrisN

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, corneliuslundie said:

Thanks Nigel. I could use the lady for the 1930s Sarn layout if there was a passenger station, but the men look a bit modern even for that. Like Chris, I need figures from the late Victorian era, assuming that fashions changed rather slowly in the valleys.

I do have two ModelU train crerws. In fact I am just painting one.

Jonathan

They are fine as long as they have hat and gloves; as you know, ladies in the 30s would never go out without hat and gloves.

I really want to tell those children, "SIT UP STRAIGHT!  Where do you think you are!"  Sorry, just me.  :)

• RMweb Gold

Having decided that I needed the platform to model how I finish the station building, I realised that I need the station building to get the hole in the platform the correct size.  Now you might think that is a bit of a problem, as one cannot progress without the other, but it is not quite as bad as that.  I have finished the platform, apart from the paving, up to the bay end of the building.  I have the building base, and I have the ply supports for the platform and the building.  The platform is only on three sides, so with a little thought, once the building is far enough on, I can complete the platform.  More of that nearer the time.

So what have I been doing?  Digging up a buddleia and planting an apple tree, picking up grand children from school, going to a First Birthday party, taking my wife out for a birthday meal, but I am sure you are not interested in that, or even my trip to the dump, sorry Recycling Centre.  I have been working on the windows.  To remind you what I need to do here is a photo supplied by @corneliuslundie of Newtown.

1924142205_Capstone1.jpg.e773c4ca5005f41c98aedcf6c956a47c.jpg

Ignore the bars.  There is a green wooden frame and behind that are the sashes.  I could just put in plain glazing with a bit of sticky strip and say that at three feet who would notice the difference, but that would be cheating, (and easy.)  The other issue is that although I have worked from a plan I think every window is very slightly different, so I cannot do as I did with my cottage and ask York Modelling to make me some.  (I meant to take a picture of how they went together but forgot, so maybe next time.)  I am going to try and replicate that, as that will give depth .

163763990_Sash1.jpg.c1a7fcc38b257b9c990a782a1c26c1df.jpg

Taking some 20 thou plasticard, I drew a line down one edge, and along the bottom.  It was not critical how wide they were as they were going to be outside the window to glue the window to the plastic surround.  I then took the window in question, (the Ladies Waiting Room end window as it is on its own and so a good one for a test), the side on the plasticard so the lines were just under the edge of the window and then drew round it.  I then took a 0.6mm brass, laid it against the line I had just drawn, and drew on the other side of it.  I did this at the top and the bottom and drew a line between them.  I did this all round, and for the sash centre.  I used a propelling pencil so the lead thickness is always the same.  Now why did I do that?  I had decided that although I am fairly certain the sash windows are not 3" wide even making them that small will be a challenge.  Measuring 3", or rather 1mm could not be done accurately, so modifying @westerhamstation's method of using a template to mark distances I felt was precise, if not accurate.  (I can reproduce it regularyly even if it is not exactly 1mm.)  The next picture may be clearer.

370841057_Sash2.jpg.4425bc157778fe8c71e00d910e04be20.jpg

The first one was binned as I cut to the line, and of course the result was not straight.  This one I have cut inside the line and will file it to the line so the result is, er, perfect, (or not as the case may be.)

476581049_Sash3.jpg.6cb25e7840a6c209ee41e8110643a1e3.jpg

I of course needed two of these, the one on the left has the hole at the bottom cut to the frame width, and the top part cut to the window width.  The one on the left is the other way round but also with a wedge shape for the top frame.  Cut also are two pieces of clear plasticard which they tell me is 20 thou, or near enough, and some 20 thou thickness strip, its width does not really matter.

451943638_Sash4.jpg.edb909b5f9ae4b8b088c2c3a34c041cf.jpg

So I took the piece on the right and glued the glazing on with Hob E Tac.  It apparently never dries, which is a bit different if you put too much on as it is always sticky.  The strips at the bottom act as side frames and supports for the next piece. This was glued with polystyrene cement.  Now you will have to imagine the next bit as I forgot to take a picture, I really thought I had done, of the second layer glued to the first, the bottom with polystyrene, the top with Hob E Tac.  The final pane was glued at the bottom.  Next the surround.

I did this again by drawing round the inside of the window, this time onto 10 thou plasticard, and cutting just inside the line.  I then stuck this to the window space.

199621616_Sash5.jpg.1110b35af4c589b8b060a419ef2fe3ae.jpg

From the back.

2001049228_Sash6.jpg.0fdb49b486611d13e69ad69619a78864.jpg

From the front.  You will notice it just pokes inside the brickwork, (and that the sill has come off.)  I had to leave that to dry as when I put the window frame construction on it I had to be able to move it to line it up.

261251559_Sash7.jpg.82433594e25e4aeeffa78c3f88936868.jpg

From the front, (and notice how straight the filing made the frame.  :whistle:)

105682597_Sash8.jpg.cfbf4d0cc67118b1684f9c9826b0656d.jpg

From the back.  What you cannot see very well is the 3D effect and how the bottom window is behind the top one.  I shall have to try and photograph that.

I photographed as I went along and some was in quite poor light, but I wanted to make the most of the time. 

So, how many have I to do?  Several.  If you have better ideas for sash windows please tell me.  Comments ranging from, 'Wow!  You must be mad!' to 'You are completely barmy', are welcomed.  Mind you, if you think that was difficult, I have double windows with a pillar in the middle to do as well.

If you have made it this far, well done!

If you have been, thanks for looking.

Edited by ChrisN
  • Like 5
  • Craftsmanship/clever 7

Nice job.

I made a couple of sash windows for my goods shed on the Silhouette cutter.

It was still tricky to remove the waste material though, with the thin window frames, particularly since I used 20 thou. Although it is easier to repeat, and resize, more windows that way

P.S. I like the 'scribed' concrete brick on the prototype photo!

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, Nick Gough said:

Nice job.

I made a couple of sash windows for my goods shed on the Silhouette cutter.

It was still tricky to remove the waste material though, with the thin window frames, particularly since I used 20 thou. Although it is easier to repeat, and resize, more windows that way

P.S. I like the 'scribed' concrete brick on the prototype photo!

Nick,

Yes that is interesting.  You notice the centre pillar with its ornate top.  Every one on the station is different, and this was on a line that had no money and paid Savin who built it in shares of the company.  (Maybe this line as one of the first was slightly better off at the start.)  You can rest assured, I will not be replicating that part of Cambrian architecture.  

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
On 10/11/2021 at 22:30, ChrisN said:

Digging up a buddleia and planting an apple tree, picking up grand children from school, going to a First Birthday party, taking my wife out for a birthday meal, but I am sure you are not interested in that

Chris, you have officially earned a full weekend of modelling. 

On 10/11/2021 at 22:30, ChrisN said:

I used a propelling pencil so the lead thickness is always the same

Ah, that's why people like them. I've tried often but always end up spending more time trying to make them work properly.

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Modelling time has been limited recently, but I managed to finish off the Dean bogie.

2132609320_DeanBogie10.jpg.35f98078dfb1c776a2d45acf95647f08.jpg

I shortened that footboard back to the end of the springs which is where on the photos it ends.

1968034319_DeanBogie11.jpg.f6b6a051e2181ff4b07abb0401b01171.jpg

I have obviously photographed the end which is not perfect.  I have put a strip on the end, 80 x 10 thou.  The strap across the bottom is 40 x10 thou, and the strap down is 20 x 30 thou, with the 20 thou against the bogie, and the 30 thou against the strap.  The 'springs' are 3/32" tubes cut to about 2mm.  That is a scale 6" which may be too large but it would be difficult to work with anything smaller, and it gives the right impression.  They are supported by rods that I found in a Slaters miscellaneous rod pack that  just fit inside tube, 

The lengths of the rod and the strap down is about 6mm.  The rod is glued into the corner of the where the top end strip meets the side and the tube holds the bottom strip.  Hopefully, there is enough connections to make it quite robust.

This week I have to make certain that my newly acquired Hogwarts Castle is cleaned out inside, and has a face so that it looks like James the Red Engine.  Yes, my grand daughter is coming round on Saturday and James is her favourite engine.  

If you have been, thanks for looking.

Edited by ChrisN
  • Like 7
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

330486102_Sash9.jpg.6235e829b5f38d3bc8f367d301e785ed.jpg

Hello, Owen Price here again.  The contractor is a bit busy at the moment, not with building MY station that is, so he has asked me to do this for him.  Well, he has done a little bit.  Here are some windows from the platform side of the building.  You see they are made in pairs.  The one on the left is ready to go in and have some glazing at the back, but the one on the right is only half made.  He realised, one night as he lay awake in bed in the middle of the night that he could not put any in until he had made them all as he needs to lay the side flat to mark out the windows.  He also realised that he would have to paint them their white and green colours before fixing them as it would be almost impossible to do it afterwards.  (I do wish rather than laying awake he would get up and do some building.)  

1517415457_Sash10.jpg.ccee88bdea93b972d7936e0a788aafe6.jpg

You see here that he has removed the central strut of the widow.  This is not a mistake as he is going to replace it with a 'plastic strut'.  (I have no idea what that is, and what is worse, after having spent ages working out what he needed and buying everything he now realises that what he needs here is different to what he has already. He says that it will not delay what he is doing.  Now my dad, when he had spoken to the contractor, would often come back and say to Edward Roberts the Foreman Porter "You are in charge for half an hour, I have to go somewhere."  He would then just disappear; not sure where he went, just for a walk I think.  I thought it was funny.  I do not think it is funny now, I think I shall go somewhere and scream.)

You may notice too, he has put in the window sill, better photos another time, but he now realises that the strip he put below each window frame he will have to remove as he needs to make the wall there lower otherwise the sill will be too high.  (I told you I would scream.)

As he needs to do all the windows first he is labelling them all.

1718279348_Sash11.jpg.add63493c38855b2801d1d8b1a44c87a.jpg

Yes they are not next to each other.  He says that would be boring.  If you are going to number them anyway why should it matter if they are next to each other.  (Between you and me, has has not done the windows very well, and he is seeing that as he is trying to make the windows at least presentable.  Now here is a photograph he did not want me to show, so please do not tell him.

1363826607_ToiletEnd3.jpg.988382ce88fd56bcffff2888e28b7eef.jpg

What I want to show you is that he has done the surround to the upper window.  What you will notice is that the surrounds further down need more work on them.  This end was the first part of the building to be done and so was in a sense experimental.  We shall have to see how it goes.

457213410_ToiletEnd4.jpg.d70d5263db7d040d615587d18d990e42.jpg

The other side, and he has put in some strips so that he can attach the ventilation slats.  He now of course cannot lay it flat to mark out the other window, but he says, 'Not to worry, as I will sort something out.'

So there we have it, and soon it will be Christmas and you can guess how much will get done then.

Well, I think that is it, so if you have been, thanks for looking.

Edited by ChrisN
  • Like 11
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold

382042511_Platform21.jpg.04f5d27d3c7db4f6cc8b5b00bbc26d61.jpg

Owen Price: “Now the contractor has asked me to talk to you all again, but I am a little busy trying to run the station, and oh, hang on a minute…..”

980952175_Christmas1.jpg.eb896948e165642d1a0b2472f04d870e.jpg

OP: “Hello Mary.”

Mary Williams: “Miss Williams to you Mr Price, we have not been formally introduced.”

OP, (blushes): “Sorry Miss Williams, I just wanted you to know I was not talking to your sister.”

MW: “That’s all right.  She would not see you anyway, she can only see soldiers.  I think it is     the uniform.”

OP: “Well, I wear a uniform.”

MW, (smiles): “I do not think it is quite the same.”

OP: “Maybe not, but it was quite a pain in the neck the first time I put it on.”

MW: “Yes, I seem to remember.”

OP: “You off to Machynlleth then for Christmas?”

MW: “Yes, how did you know?”

OP: “I sold your dad the tickets, that is my job.”

MW: “Well, what are you doing out here then?”

OP: “I am having to be Station Master as well.  My Dad is locked in a display case.”

MW: “That is just silly.”

OP: “Yes I know, but it is true.”

OP: *silence* *shuffles* *blushes*

2129645077_Christmas2.jpg.ada9e4934790e5d7427a89e7dee2db5b.jpg

OP: “Er, umm, Miss Williams, er Mary, er, umm, I just wanted to say that I think that you are the best thing that has happened this year in Traeth Mawr.”

MW: *laughs* “That is not difficult, I am the only thing that happened this year, well my family is.”

OP:  *defensively* “That is not true, there was that set of wheels thingy.”

MW: “But no coach to go with it.”

OP: “We have a station building.”

MW: “Looks to me like it has been borrowed from the Twll Du.”

OP: “Yes I suppose so.  They do not need it, they have not even got a railway yet.  Only been waiting 26 years, maybe more.”

MW: “Is that why Mr Lewis let it go?”

OP: “No, he is locked in the same case as my Dad, I am sure he will be livid if he finds out.”

MW: “Yes, but you have a building.”

OP: “Trouble is John Jones came with it, you know, Jones the Fare.  When he came, he told me the story of the posh Englishman who wanted a return to Cwm Bach.  It was funny the first time, and even the second, but three times a day for five weeks and it wears a bit thin.”

MW: “I am sure it does, how does it go?”

OP: “The posh Englishman comes in and asks for a return to Come Back……  no I will leave Jones to tell you.”

MW: “I might want you to tell me.”

OP: “Look if you hang around, he will tell you anyway, so why spoil it?  Look there are other developments this year, look at the platform.”

MW: “Not even half finished.”

OP: “Station Road?”

901861437_Christmas3.jpg.a76904c1517ea3ae5e58c050a653b6d2.jpg

MW: “What those three houses?  The one on the left your contractor made when he was seven, still has no inside. 

16103563_Christmas4.jpg.bcbef8c24618cf5ce239b9aecf8abd8b.jpg

The middle one his son made when he was ten.”

1449740913_Christmas5.jpg.f1a5607d5e9a10210b23680cf810f986.jpg

OP: “What the contractor was ten when he had a son?”

MW: “Don’t be silly Owen.  Look the last one is not finished.”

1809107422_Christmas6.jpg.4bd634c78686a1180e4a712fb2b07af4.jpg

OP: “Does not matter Mary, I still think you are the best thing that has happened around here, for, for, …… a long time.”

MW: “Now do not be silly.  I will be off to London to train as a nurse as soon as I can.”

OP: “What after Christmas?”

MW: No, silly!  I am only sixteen, I will go when I am eighteen, if my dad lets me.”

OP: “Oh I see.”

MW: “We could not meet anyway, I need a chaperone and you are always working.”

OP: “Yes, I suppose so, *sighs*, but I will think of something.  *smiles*

MW: “Have you seen that funny French detective this year?”

OP: “Yes, he is locked in the same case as my Dad.”

MW: “Oh no, who is going to get murdered? *smiles* Look here comes my train.  *SCREAMS* “It has a face!”

445590313_Christmas7.jpg.5be3f7b2b91b403d975b0db9da1b1be5.jpg

OP: “See, the contractor has done something else this year.  Anyway, I had better say good bye and Happy Christmas, and to prove my Dad is locked in a display case, here is the evidence.

1070290707_Christmas8.jpg.cd116651c1611d3beacb9d2e17cd3450.jpg

Happy Christmas to all our readers, and the contractor told me to say, if you have been, thanks for looking, and thank you for all your patience, help, support and reactions, as it is all greatly appreciated.

Edited by ChrisN
  • Like 7
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Round of applause 6

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Simond said:

Merry Christmas to you too!

that beer van is a long way from home!!!

Simon,

Yes it is, and it is full of barrels of Bishop's Finger, just to educate the locals.  :D

Have a good Christmas.

• Round of applause 1
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Gold

I read that as a happy end to the year for Owen. He deserves it after all that you've put him through!

12 hours ago, ChrisN said:

1752002334_Christmas8.jpg.4937a0c672156af5233a3b5daacd8e91.jpg

Is that a nativity scene I spy in the waiting room? I suppose the train was late, it is the Cambrian after all :)

Have a good Christmas Chris, and best wishes for the new year.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
54 minutes ago, Mikkel said:

I read that as a happy end to the year for Owen. He deserves it after all that you've put him through!

Is that a nativity scene I spy in the waiting room? I suppose the train was late, it is the Cambrian after all :)

Have a good Christmas Chris, and best wishes for the new year.

Mikkel,

Yes it is the Nativity.  Every year they have the same tableau in Traeth Mawr.  The down shelter is the perfect place for it..  As it is always Thursday 22nd March 1895 I am not sure what they are doing there, but the good point is that however long I take the build anything it will always be there on Thursday 22nd March 1895.

Have a good Christmas and keep safe.

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Charlie586 said:

Merry Christmas, Chris. I like the old houses, glad I'm not the only one who starts and never finishes buildings.

Charlie,

It will get done eventually.  You may or may not know it is a copy of the cottage where I went on honeymoon, a few weeks ago, well about, 2147 weeks to be fairly precise.  It is being built for the sake of it, but if I could actually find a home for it on the layout it could be done fairly quickly.  I just need to be able to model a butler sink.

Have a good Christmas and keep safe.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
10 hours ago, corneliuslundie said:

Brains perhaps, or Vale of Death. Perhaps Felinfoel.

Nadolig Llawen a Blwyddyn Newidd Dda

Jonathan

2 hours ago, corneliuslundie said:

You mean like mine for Nantcwmdu, started over ten years ago and still without a roof on part or any tiles on the rest.

One day . . .

Jonathan

Jonathan,

Never tried Brains, as for Feeling Foul......

I am sure when like me you have done everything else that building will be finished.  I think mine has been at least ten years.

Have a good Christmas and a happy New Year.  Keep safe.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
On 04/11/2021 at 18:54, ChrisN said:

Jonathan,

Prieser have at least one figure who is standing reading a paper, but he is H0 and has a hat very like a trilby, even though he is dated 1900.  I assume they wore trilbies earlier in Germany than here.

I think this man has a shirt over a jumper, so first thing would be a tie.  I am not sure about the cut of his jacket but I think i would be more likely to be buttoned which would be a little bit of a problem.  He might look better if he had a bowler.  Flat caps were common but somehow this one does not look right.

UK flat cap were ... well somewhat flatter.

Don

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I just love how you bring the people to life with your stories.

I got familiar with Brains from training courses at Cardiff.  Brains SA affectinonally known as Skull Attack

As for the quesion of details and how visible they are as Dustcarts may not have said 

'It is there so I model it'

For those to whom the process of making the models is a big part of the pleasure details are fun. For those to whom the making of the models is more a chore to get through to enjoying the results leaving out details which cannot be seen makes sense.

Nothing worse though than looking at a finished model and wishing you had put internal details inside.  Mind you if the toilet has frosted windows are you ever going to see the WC ? And the bucket needing emptying in the two holer down the garden might be a detail too far.

Don

PS nearly forgot Nadolig Llawen a Blwyddyn Newydd Dda to all at Traeth Mawr including the contractor and family

Edited by Donw
  • Like 6

• RMweb Gold
On 23/12/2021 at 07:26, Donw said:

I just love how you bring the people to life with your stories.

I got familiar with Brains from training courses at Cardiff.  Brains SA affectinonally known as Skull Attack

As for the quesion of details and how visible they are as Dustcarts may not have said 

'It is there so I model it'

For those to whom the process of making the models is a big part of the pleasure details are fun. For those to whom the making of the models is more a chore to get through to enjoying the results leaving out details which cannot be seen makes sense.

Nothing worse though than looking at a finished model and wishing you had put internal details inside.  Mind you if the toilet has frosted windows are you ever going to see the WC ? And the bucket needing emptying in the two holer down the garden might be a detail too far.

Don

PS nearly forgot Nadolig Llawen a Blwyddyn Newydd Dda to all at Traeth Mawr including the contractor and family

Don,

Thank you. I am glad you like the stories.  Traeth Mawr and its people do exist in my mind as I have lived with the place for a number of years, firstly as a terminus of the narrow gauge railway.  My problem is getting enough time to bring what is in my mind into reality

I have known modellors who have modelled what is behind the frosted glass, but I think that is one detail I shall ignore.

Edited by ChrisN
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold
28 minutes ago, Nick Gough said:

Merry Christmas Chris, to you and all the residents of Traeth Mawr.

Nick,

Thank you.  Merry Christmas to you and your family.  I shall look forward to more from your 'modern image' layout in the coming year.  :D 

• Thanks 1