Blueball Summit

andy stroud

Forgot to ask, would it be possible to have an overall view photo please?

Thanks in advance!

Best regards,

Jeremy

Hi Jeremy.

I am at work now until tomorrow morning. I will try and take some current overall view pics and post them in the next day or two. There was a previous overall view  on post 128, page 6.

Many thanks

Andy

Might have been asked already but do you have any plans to exhibit the layout?

Cheers,

Paul

Hi Paul,

Many thanks for your kind comments and enquiry. I dont currently have any plans to take the layout out. I dont want to have to meet any deadlines. I am enjoying what I am doing without feeling the need to rush. Also, I am still very short of 'interesting' stock. I have just rejoined the 2mm society with a view to trying to build some of their wagon kits so hopefully some more stock will appear on the layout soonish, together with some passenger trains, which are currently very conspicuous by their absence!

Many thanks

Andy

Edited by andy stroud

• RMweb Premium

To echo others, the work put into this layout is amazing. The viaduct is great but for me the mill building is the highlight. It has great character.

Would be good to see this in the flesh at an exhibition.

• RMweb Gold

Great advert for N gauge - what you fit into 10 feet is amazing.

But that is the only Clue as to the gauge - when you look/photo in close I defy anyone (unless you are a real expert) to tell whether it is N, OO or O.

Absolutely superb - the 'best' on here is a subjective thing - but this has to be right up there.

Thanks for sharing your methods/work

Regards,

James

• 4 weeks later...

I havent made much progress recently, I think partly because the weather is mild and I have just been doing other things. I have though  been working on these buildings which are now completed and just need to be planted on the layout. This will basically complete the buildings along the front of the layout. I am planning to take a break from building for a little while and set the layout up with its 'off scene' boards for a good running session. Havent done this for about a year! The next buildings will be behind the viaduct together with lots more trees.

post-1218-0-34794400-1472343399_thumb.jpg

post-1218-0-54297200-1472343425_thumb.jpg

post-1218-0-30334600-1472343446_thumb.jpg

many thanks.

Andy

• Like 18

Great observation and super modelling. The buildings generate atmosphere that makes for a realistic and believable scene in which you can visualise yourself being there which is not attainable with card Metcalfe kits and resin RTP ones.

G.

• 2 weeks later...

attachicon.gifIMG_2558.jpg

I am slowly increasing my 'fleet' of 21 ton hoppers. The one on the left is new. They are all N gauge society kits modified to represent the rebodied version.

Hi

I'm loving watching this develop. It's got so many great features: the way the relief works and looks natural, the buildings; it's a real treat to look at.

One question, if I may: did you weather the rusted hopper by putting the rust colour on first then masking, overpainting the grey and removing the masking; or did you paint the whole wagon grey, then add the rust patches over the top? Thanks

Jim

One question, if I may: did you weather the rusted hopper by putting the rust colour on first then masking, overpainting the grey and removing the masking; or did you paint the whole wagon grey, then add the rust patches over the top? Thanks

Jim

Hi Jim,

With that particular wagon, I painted it grey first so it looked like new. I  then applied the rust colour, copying as best as I could the shapes of the rust patches on a real wagon in a photograph. I think that is the most important bit, then what you end up with will be at least something like the real thing  rather than just 'made up' weathering.  I have sometimes weathered wagons by doing as you suggested, painting the rust first and then applying the finished body colour over the top. I think that might work better with wagons which have far  more rust than grey. I dont personally bother with masking for rust effects in n gauge.

I have just started working on a rake of Dapol dogfish wagons. The first thing for me is to thin down the tops of the bodysides as seen on the wagon on the right. The difference can be compared to the unmodified wagon on the left. I think this is a huge improvment to many plastic wagons. I have done it with all my 16 tonners. I just scrape the plastic with a scalpel, a bit at a time. The couplings will then be changed as well as a ballast load and usual weathering job.

post-1218-0-02351100-1473689560_thumb.jpg

cheers

Andy

Edited by andy stroud
  • Like 5