Blueball Summit

andy stroud

• RMweb Gold

Have been 'planting' a few new buildings on the layout.

attachicon.gifrmw5.JPG

The signal box is located near the station, with the main running lines in the foreground and the goods loop running behind. The lamp hut was built from plasticard and 0.3 square microstrip. The 'squareness' of the microstrip dosent seem to show up luckily. I am not aware of any suitable N gauge corrigations that I could have used.

attachicon.gifrmw4.JPG

attachicon.giftunnel1rmweb.JPG

The lonely platelayers hut now sits by the entrance to Blue Ball Tunnel.

attachicon.gifrmw3.JPG

...and then out pops a Hymek on a coal train.

Is that sand you have used for ballast? how will you weather it from here or is that the final colour? Great looking layout, love the viaduct. Do you fancy a commision??The track doesn't look like Peco. Handbuilt?

Is that sand you have used for ballast? how will you weather it from here or is that the final colour? Great looking layout, love the viaduct. Do you fancy a commision??The track doesn't look like Peco. Handbuilt?

It is whitish fine sand that I bought in an aquarium shop. I have not yet decided weather or not to colour it. On a previous layout, I used a very diluted wash of grey paint and let that seep in and it seemed to work. The track is 2mm scale easitrack. You have to thread the rails onto plastic sleeper sections, about 5 inches at a time. Not difficult.

Edited by andy stroud
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

It is whitish fine sand that I bought in an aquarium shop. I have not yet decided weather or not to colour it. On a previous layout, I used a very diluted wash of grey paint and let that seep in and it seemed to work. The track is 2mm scale easitrack. You have to thread the rails onto plastic sleeper sections, about 5 inches at a time. Not difficult.

Thanks Andy, I might try the sand. Potentially much better on the eye than "standard" N-Gauge Ballast, which to me is more suited to oo gauge.  

Do you mean apply the grey wash rather like applying the dilute pva mix? otherwise the grey would alter the track weathering, no? I wonder if it would be possible to dye or colour it before laying.

Thanks Andy, I might try the sand. Potentially much better on the eye than "standard" N-Gauge Ballast, which to me is more suited to oo gauge.  

Do you mean apply the grey wash rather like applying the dilute pva mix? otherwise the grey would alter the track weathering, no? I wonder if it would be possible to dye or colour it before laying.

It was over ten years ago so I cant remember in detail. What I do recall is a VERY dilute mix. Mostly thinners and it was brushed in easily to the ballast around and in between the sleepers. Then again it was an EM gauge layout so may be easier. Do you think by looking at the pictures that the ballast colour needs addressing? I was kind of hoping to leave it, but a freind vistited the layout the other day and suggested that it could do with a colour change.

Edited by andy stroud

• RMweb Gold

An alternative to sand is Treemendus Normandy Earth Powder. I've used this on Ropley and have been very pleased with the results, it being fine enough to suit N Gauge/2mm and also a good colour out of the bag, so no need to recolour, only weather!

Do you think by looking at the pictures that the ballast colour needs addressing? I was kind of hoping to leave it, but a freind vistited the layout the other day and suggested that it could do with a colour change.

Hi Andy, the layout is looking great! From the photos there does appear to be a very slight yellow tinge to the ballast, but I wouldn't say it is hugely distracting and could be a result of the room lighting? If you are happy with it I would leave it alone, rather than risk spoiling it for no good reason. 

Tom

(No connection to Treemendus other than being a satisfied customer.)

It was over ten years ago so I cant remember in detail. What I do recall is a VERY dilute mix. Mostly thinners and it was brushed in easily to the ballast around and in between the sleepers. Then again it was an EM gauge layout so may be easier. Do you think by looking at the pictures that the ballast colour needs addressing? I was kind of hoping to leave it, but a freind vistited the layout the other day and suggested that it could do with a colour change.

Looking at photos on Flickr taken in the 1970s in South Devon in places like Dainton the ballast, particularly on the shoulders, is very pale in colour, presumably from Stoneycombe Quarry.

The track on Blue Ball looks nice as it is, perhaps maybe a little weathering where locos stand (by the signal in the loop, at the end of the platforms?) or between the rails, but otherwise OK,

cheers 

• RMweb Gold

Hi Andy,

I was thinking it was a bit stark, but on looking at it again, I think it's because, it being sand, there are a few silver or white grains prominent in the mix. I think it looks like sand, rather than ballast. That is purely my opinion. Perhaps it would benefit from a dulling down, or some light weathering? Not necesarily a total recolour.

As everyone has said, great layout. And I was only half joking about a comision for a viaduct! :)

Thankyou guys for your comments and advice on the ballast. I will leave it as it is for the time being. Maybe I might do some colour experiments on a separate test-piece, but at the moment I am working on other 'jobs'. Currently, I am midway through a tree planting session. I  made about 15 of them up from twisted wire whilst the layout was packed away.

• RMweb Premium

The off-side shot of the double-heading 37s on the viaduct on the clayhoods looks great. The scenery around the tunnel and viaduct really does make an impressive view in the space you have used.

Lovely stuff Andy - its all really coming together now...and we love the blueness... :good:

You cant have too much blueness. Might  punctuate it with the odd green-with-full-yellowness.

The area around the tunnel and viaduct is very much countryside but the rest of the layout will be a little more built-up. In fact, most bits that aren't part of the railway will have buildings on them. I am planning some sort of largish factory or mill in front of the embankment and the railway will be seen running behind it.

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

Amazing stuff. Just found this and it's incredible, are you sure it's 2mm scale?? :no:

When I saw the first pic of the tunnel mouth on page 1, I actually said "Oh, wow!" out loud.......