Hornby's Best Ever Models

robmcg

As LNERMick: the secret to staying in business in Hornby's sellected sector would appear to be 'always offer Gresley pacifics'.

...the one that truly got me hooked was a rather austere (or ugly) looking brute of a 0-6-0 tender engine, I am of course referring to the Q1. Yes I know some of the finer detailing is fragile, but boy do they look the part when they've been weathered and detailed up...

I found that rather an exciting introduction when it first appeared (from Hornby? an out and out medium goods 0-6-0, the ugliest and filthiest of the breed, no pretty livery options, no names other than the occasional rude chalk scrawl!) but sadly they have only now, ten years later, shown a willingness to revist this territory. Let's hope it is at least as good this time around...

What I still find particularly impressive on this model is the rear frame detail and cab staying, as good as a carefully built etched kit. This is made less impressive by the then standard use of the outdated loco to tender power coupling with its large visual intrusion into what should be clear space between loco and tender. To any owner who hasn't done so, removing this outdated clunk fest and ripping off the tender post, and putting in a simple DIY drawbar where it should be - the slot is in the tender dragbox ready to receive it, one small self tapper secures - is an instant and very significant upgrade by really showing off one of the best detail features Hornby have put on any of their steam models.

• RMweb Gold

The layout would be rather dull with just one type of loco.

The N15 does it for me. Very accurate. Excellent running, cab options, tender options, right amount of fitted detail. Maid of all work, the SR standard 5 although biased towards passenger work.

I,ve 3 of them (4 when I include the original Triang based 70s version), brought in the days before the 4 pin plug came out.

The clan and rebuilt West Country are a very close second followed by the A4 and A1.

The N15 is an excellent canvas to work on, I've reworked quite a few, here's some examples:

post-7000-0-66859400-1394120590_thumb.jpg

post-7000-0-53926400-1394108718_thumb.jpg

Edited by toboldlygo
  • Like 6

• RMweb Gold

I confess to an extensive collection of Hornby N15s. I think the collecting bug got to me.

But I have never collected A4s, my sanity is intact...

N15's are pretty addictive, because of the number of variations Hornby do and there are still a few they haven't done ;)

Had a few A4's, lovely to look at and great runners, just very fragile in places

• RMweb Gold

I confess to an extensive collection of Hornby N15s. I think the collecting bug got to me.But I have never collected A4s, my sanity is intact...

I am incurably Gresleyholic,suffer from Maunsell mania and Bulleidimia (self-diagnosis).I am in the early stages of Stanier Syndrome for which I am prescribed a course of the new Robinson's "Pom-Pom 9J" cordial.Dr.Bachmann is "concerned" about my current relapse.

If I bought two or three Hattons' Garratts I'd be cured... although I would never imply that they are expensive really, they are in fact quite cheap, and mine cost about £180 with tracked air delivery to NZ with no VAT. And just as the Midland people never really accepted, they replace two engines....

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I am incurably Gresleyholic,suffer from Maunsell mania and Bulleidimia (self-diagnosis).I am in the early stages of Stanier Syndrome for which I am prescribed a course of the new Robinson's "Pom-Pom 9J" cordial.Dr.Bachmann is "concerned" about my current relapse.

Get a second opinion, think you've got advanced blue-box syndrome. The cure for that is an intensive course of Anti-Bachmotics administered aurally ;)

Based on Models I own, these are what I consider Hornby's finest:

WC/BoB Pacifics in original condition

Merchant Navy

Q1

Britannia

Class 50

Based on what I would like to own, so going on what I've seen/heard:

WC/BoB Pacifics in Rebuilt condition

N15

M7

T9

This is just my opinion, if you don't like it, I apologise!

Edited by 80104 Productions

Get a second opinion, think you've got advanced blue-box syndrome. The cure for that is an intensive course of Anti-Bachmotics administered aurally ;)

Are you sure it's meant to be administered aurally or could that be an...............................

• RMweb Gold

Based on Models I own, these are what I consider Hornby's finest:

WC/BoB Pacifics in original condition

Merchant Navy

Q1

Britannia

Class 50

Based on what I would like to own, so going on what I've seen/heard:

WC/BoB Pacifics in Rebuilt condition

N15

M7

T9

This is just my opinion, if you don't like it, I apologise!

No need to apologise, they are outstanding models.

In fact I have a Britannia on my workbench, just renumbered and awaiting weathering. A T9 in the paint booth, being weathered AND a rebuilt WC (107th for those keeping count) about to be started ;)

• Like 1

No need to apologise, they are outstanding models.

In fact I have a Britannia on my workbench, just renumbered and awaiting weathering. A T9 in the paint booth, being weathered AND a rebuilt WC (107th for those keeping count) about to be started ;)

I bought the Britannia (After much mental debate, as I knew it would make me penniless) for intended use on a soon-to-be layout, only to find it's got the wrong number, as it's not a Southern allocated number! I will therefore, have to make modifications!

On the subject of Drummonds, I have got a Class 700 on order, and that's shaping up to be a stunner! That would look superb with a T9 next to it!

107!!! :O My jealousy levels may have just shot through the roof......

• RMweb Gold

I bought the Britannia (After much mental debate, as I knew it would make me penniless) for intended use on a soon-to-be layout, only to find it's got the wrong number, as it's not a Southern allocated number! I will therefore, have to make modifications!

On the subject of Drummonds, I have got a Class 700 on order, and that's shaping up to be a stunner! That would look superb with a T9 next to it!

107!!! :O My jealousy levels may have just shot through the roof......

Which Britannia did you get?

No need to get jealous yet, if I revealed what was in my to renumber stack - you might....

Which Britannia did you get?

No need to get jealous yet, if I revealed what was in my to renumber stack - you might....

70045 'Lord Rowallan', shed plate 6J which is Holyhead

If I'm jealous already, I dread to think how I'm going to react to that......

Ahh, that could be a problem - wrong tender and cab...

Indeed, but I usually use the excuse it's just worked an express from the midlands....... 

• RMweb Gold

Indeed, but I usually use the excuse it's just worked an express from the midlands....... 

Sat Nav sent it on the wrong line...

And yes I do have a ex SR Brit in the to do pile and I do like to Southern Regionise locos ;)

Sat Nav sent it on the wrong line...

And yes I do have a ex SR Brit in the to do pile and I do like to Southern Regionise locos ;)

That, or it's on test trials...

My jealousy levels are high enough thanks! :D

• RMweb Premium

I had 3 castles and consider them one of the best steamers. I'm now collecting 50's which has to be one of the diesels available. I wouldn't mind having a complete set of those, with all the preservation liveries too.

• RMweb Gold

Another loco which have impressed me greatly in the last few days is the 4MT

I've just finished weathering it and aside from the chimney being off when it arrived (lack of glue so common a problem), it's been faultless and now very dirty ;)