Hornby's Best Ever Models

robmcg

here is a taster, though I did this two or three years ago...   bought the unloved Urie version N15 which Hornby and shops cannot give away, my local model shop still has another on 'special' at cost and it's been on the shelf at that price for more than two years.

I shall look at my rather too large collection of pristine and weathered versions shortly, and come up with something nearer Exeter... this below is approaching Farnborough. I have a problem with collecting certain engine types and the N15 is one, Bulleid Pacifics another...  Black 5s and Britannias I have a few of them too.  Ah well, cheaper than some hobbies, like restoring old Jaguars (another error in life).. I already have one Hattons Garratt and wait for a second,     quick, pass me a pill...

if this is one of Hornby's best models, I wonder why this particular version is so hard to sell?  Shades of Bude?

post-7929-0-19025700-1395438493_thumb.jpg

Edited by robmcg
  • Like 5

• RMweb Gold

Actually, I might also do a similar one with a Spamcan having just bought a 34051 in pristine condition, which as toboldlygo will attest, was always clean (NOT)

If I have a 34051 in pristine condition, it means I've got another donor BoB ;)

I have already played with it...  I could get to like these clean engines... thank you Hattons

Of course no one would seriously consider the Hornby SpamCan to be their best model... 

picture is modified by me.

post-7929-0-91242500-1395463001_thumb.jpg

Lock up your artistic principles lest it become one of the finest model Hornby DIDN'T produce....

post-7929-0-32047000-1395463266_thumb.jpg

Edited by robmcg
  • Like 3

• RMweb Gold

I have already played with it...  I could get to like these clean engines... thank you Hattons

Do not be seduced by the clean-side....

Bulleid's must be dirty ;)

post-7000-0-23434500-1395503920_thumb.jpg

(107th) 34032 Camelford - used a DCC Sound Donor here. For those who don't know Hornby updated Rebuilt/Modified WC with this release, the tender connection is different (plug and socket and permanently coupled) and the green's much darker too.

• Like 2

here is a taster, though I did this two or three years ago...   bought the unloved Urie version N15 which Hornby and shops cannot give away, my local model shop still has another on 'special' at cost and it's been on the shelf at that price for more than two years.

I shall look at my rather too large collection of pristine and weathered versions shortly, and come up with something nearer Exeter... this below is approaching Farnborough. I have a problem with collecting certain engine types and the N15 is one, Bulleid Pacifics another...  Black 5s and Britannias I have a few of them too.  Ah well, cheaper than some hobbies, like restoring old Jaguars (another error in life).. I already have one Hattons Garratt and wait for a second,     quick, pass me a pill...

if this is one of Hornby's best models, I wonder why this particular version is so hard to sell?  Shades of Bude?

Would that be King Uther?, my (only) claim to fame (I don't get out much!) is that I pointed out to that nice Mr Kohler that the original selection: The Red Knight had the Lemaitre exhaust with wide diameter chimney plus straight deflectors and maybe Hornby ought to change their choice to one of the other N15s with standard deflectors.

Anyway young man, BR green is hardly 1930s!

... I'll get my anorak ...

Glenn

(107th) 34032 Camelford - used a DCC Sound Donor here. For those who don't know Hornby updated Rebuilt/Modified WC with this release, the tender connection is different (plug and socket and permanently coupled) and the green's much darker too.

'and the green's much darker too' - green?, what green?

BR Standard grey and grime looks fine to me, although I think you've gone to town on this one; end of steam and really filthy look perhaps?

Under-funded and nationalised BR = dirty, Sir Herbert Walker's well managed SR = clean, simple really!

Glenn

attachicon.gif34032_rhfan.jpg

Could I have a go at a background for this one please?  It has to be a contender for Hornby's Best Model!

I am thinking a similar background to others, a bit like the reversing loop at Eastleigh, where all of these engines were likely to have been seen at one time or another. 

Quite clearly it was SR which begat the finest RTR Hornby models, so my quest for 'best ever' is clearly now rhetorical.. all over bar the shouting... <g>

• RMweb Gold

'and the green's much darker too' - green?, what green?

BR Standard grey and grime looks fine to me, although I think you've gone to town on this one; end of steam and really filthy look perhaps?

Under-funded and nationalised BR = dirty, Sir Herbert Walker's well managed SR = clean, simple really!

Glenn

I'm at my happiest when they are at their dirtiest ;) 

Actually it's RLM Dark Blue Grey

• RMweb Gold

I am thinking a similar background to others, a bit like the reversing loop at Eastleigh, where all of these engines were likely to have been seen at one time or another. 

Quite clearly it was SR which begat the finest RTR Hornby models, so my quest for 'best ever' is clearly now rhetorical.. all over bar the shouting... <g>

She's an Exmouth Junction loco, but then again most of the Southern ones I do are. The next one currently in the dirty works is as well (a T9), then I shall be heading East (an O1), then West (a King), before heading back to 72A again ;)

En-route to you - once they've uploaded ;)

and here is what I sent back just now,

I think I will plump for the Hornby rebuilt light Pacific as their best ever. [edit; today, that is. Tomorrow, hmmm... ]

I have touched up the pic of course...  but essentially it is toboldygo's weathering of an out-of-the box Hornby model.  The white smoke to the right is a rubbish or ash fire, common around railways of the day.

post-7929-0-45067200-1395611908_thumb.jpg

typo edit

Edited by robmcg
  • Like 4

Hold everything! All bets are off!   I want all readers to consider the Hornby Black 5   having just unboxed an example weathered and detailed by Hattons...

...and all I have done is paint cylinder drains and re-touch some bits around the front.

Actually as mentioned in a Settle and Carlisle thread I am actually suffering from Garratt deprivation withdrawal, still waiting for heavily weathered BR versions.  In the meantime I am feeling the need for things Midland, well, Black 5s anyway... and this model may have its detractors but will we see better in RTR 00?

Lovely model lit largely by pale evening sun on my desk.

post-7929-0-67630700-1395643471_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Hold everything! All bets are off!   I want all readers to consider the Hornby Black 5   having just unboxed an example weathered and detailed by Hattons...

...and all I have done is paint cylinder drains and re-touch some bits around the front.

Actually as mentioned in a Settle and Carlisle thread I am actually suffering from Garratt deprivation withdrawal, still waiting for heavily weathered BR versions.  In the meantime I am feeling the need for things Midland, well, Black 5s anyway... and this model may have its detractors but will we see better in RTR 00?

Lovely model lit largely by pale evening sun on my desk.

attachicon.gifBlack_5_1abcd_crop1_r1200.jpg

There's not a lot wrong with Hornby's Black Five. It was their "next big thing" after the success of the rebuilt MN.

They have obviously done better than both since then but, as with the MN, the latest 5MTs aren't identical to early examples.

One problem is that the prototype was a good deal less standardised than most of us think, so renumbering can be hazardous!

I'm not totally ignorant of things LMS, but I find West Countries dead easy by comparison!

John

• RMweb Gold

There's not a lot wrong with Hornby's Black Five. It was their "next big thing" after the success of the rebuilt MN.

They have obviously done better than both since then but, as with the MN, the latest 5MTs aren't identical to early examples.

One problem is that the prototype was a good deal less standardised than most of us think, so renumbering can be hazardous!

I'm not totally ignorant of things LMS, but I find West Countries dead easy by comparison!

John

As minefields are banned under international convention, shouldn't that included the Black 5 as it's classified as one ;)   :jester:  :jester:

Ah but there is the limitless pleasure of modelling!  Tenders, riveted or welded, or half and half..  ?  Almost as complex and variable as Bulleid light Pacifics.   DON'T MENTION MERCHANT NAVYs.

At least Black 5 cabs are generally all the same width, (I think!)   Only about four basic boiler styles, many and various welded or rivetted smokebox styles, sanding variations, front bogie dimensions, buffer beams, all in Irwell's vols 1,2,and 3  ...  ah the pleasures!

If you want complication, try buying things via Ebay from NZ   or indeed some large UK sellers who really see customers as evil and to be endured... (not having a good day with purchasing experiences today...  a weathered Black 5 might eventually be bought, in spite of the kind of ambiguous and ineffective language used; " just select the loco, commit to buy, and we can do the invoice here"   Cannot select the loco (sale has 'ended')  what does 'commit to buy' mean?  Where is the invoice?  Where is 'here'?)

And TMC having had computer errors so two models I bought on line successfully via Paypal, (their words)  ' we need to take a further £12' , steadfastly refuse to apologise, will not find a tracking number (why? when the parcel hasn't gone missing yet)?  and are now saying 'we are just unpacking after a show' (what the hell has that got to do with a web sale)  ... FWIW TMC charge £28 tracked air packet  Hattons £10.50-£13.50

sigh  edit; I guess I don't have to buy, probably won't buy off them again.

Edited by robmcg
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

attachicon.gifUrie_Arthur_at_Speed_4a_r1200.jpg

Many of us who model the Southern Region pick a year or so either side of 1960 so that we can run rebuilt Bulleids alongside the originals. For us, 'King Uther' would be a BR Standard 5MT!

30737 was withdrawn in 1956, at roughly the same time the first MN was rebuilt, and all the Urie N15s had gone by the time Eastleigh started on the Light Pacifics.

The problem with this model may be purely chronological. If so, Hornby might be wise to stick to SR liveries if they ever repeat this particular variant.

John

• RMweb Gold

Oh dear.

Can't let that go unchallenged.

Try here for a start.

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/19802-detailing-a-Hornby-black-5/

Bernard

Fair enough, but I found my own example very impressive when placed alongside Hornby's earlier attempt at this loco.

It certainly doesn't compare with the best of Hornby's later locos, but neither does the MN equal a rebuilt WC; things did move.  

To me, it still looks pretty good as a "layout loco" and I've not yet had the urge to perform plastic surgery upon it.

Anyone who does feel the need for improvement has the excellent 'one-stop shop' Brassmasters upgrade kit available to help them.

John