Hornby's Best Ever Models

robmcg

or Iron Duke. William Shakespeare was still on an Early Crest in 1960 apparently.

I'm modelling '61-'62, so may still have to change the crest?

That's William Wordsworth, but close enough! :D

Short answer is yes. It should also be pointed out that 2 of the ex-Southern Brits did get BR1D tenders in the last year or so of steam...

Damn it! I used to model '67 lol! :jester:

My layout started out in '67, then I back-dated it to '61-'62 so I could run a larger variety of steam stock!

Thanks, I've seen William Shakespeare for sale here and there, and the early crest stayed until at least 1963 (p.53 of Irwell book) by then it had lower top lamp bracket, off-centre 'middle' lamp bracket handrail deflectors, no AWS , bolts on deflectors for 'arrow', and a painted-over '1A' in place of a shedplate.

Lovely, lovely model regardless, R3096. Also rather expensive. Rails of Sheffield have one at £124 described as a 'restoration project' and it's damaged and lacking parts and has glue stains, and is a jerky runner without box or literature!

Edited by robmcg

Thanks, I've seen William Shakespeare for sale here and there, and the early crest stayed until at least 1963 (p.53 of Irwell book) by then it had lower top lamp bracket, off-centre 'middle' lamp bracket handrail deflectors, no AWS , bolts on deflectors for 'arrow', and a painted-over '1A' in place of a shedplate.

Lovely, lovely model regardless, R3096.

So, if I got William Shakespeare, I wouldn't have to change the crest?

My OCD is very confusing, as I really care about the the Names, numbers, crests, shed plate (A mate of mine as kindly computer designed 73A on a shed plate for me) , and smoke deflectors. Yet I'm alright with lamp brackets........ Would be nice to rectify that as well though

My OCD is very confusing, as I really care about the the Names, numbers, crests, shed plate (A mate of mine as kindly computer designed 73A on a shed plate for me) , and smoke deflectors. Yet I'm alright with lamp brackets........ Would be nice to rectify that as well though

Early crest, handrails ok but I wouldn't count on something being wrong. Hard to find a R3096 perhaps, and I'm not sure whether a cheaper model could be re-named/re-numbered 'Iron Duke'. Would be an interesting bit of research though. The original 70000 Britannia seems to be around, albeit nearly always gets over £100 on Ebay from memory... and forgive my ignorance, but what is 'OCD'?

• RMweb Gold

No you can leave it on an Early Crest.

I just found a picture of William Shakespeare circa September 1961, still on an Early Crest with Warning Flashes!!

Early crest, handrails ok but I wouldn't count on something being wrong. Hard to find a R3096 perhaps, and I'm not sure whether a cheaper model could be re-named/re-numbered 'Iron Duke'. Would be an interesting bit of research though. The original 70000 Britannia seems to be around, albeit nearly always gets over £100 on Ebay from memory... and forgive my ignorance, but what is 'OCD'?

I correct myself, it's not OCD, but perfectionism!

I don't like having to modify RTR stock for fear of ruining it, but it has to be perfect!

In post 176 I mentioned 2 weathered Duke of Gloucester models arriving here. wrong!

It was 34051 'Winston Churchill' from Hattons, better in some ways! Pristine, lovely!

typo edit

Edited by robmcg

We all REQUIRE Brits if we are to be modern, proud, optimistic modellers. 5MTs from Barwell? Hmmm. I am beginning to worry about standards around here....

(groan)

Or, a simple option, I make up some kind of story/excuse to justify it being there with the wrong tender.......

• RMweb Gold

You'll never believe this! Apparently, the Southern Pair of Brits (70004 & 70014) Left the Southern in 1958 in return for 2 5MT's, essentially meaning I don't actually require a Brit! (If that's true: http://www.kentrail.org.uk/Britannia%20Class.htm)

The pair in question (73041 & 42) were allocated to Stewarts Lane for nearly a year. They were both in Lined Black with BR1 tenders ;), which the boys at Barwell have yet to do lol

Edited by toboldlygo

moderator! moderator! someone is messing with Standards here

There's no respect anymore.

edit; p.s. toboldlygo my doorstep delivery this morning was 340151 'Winston Churchill' Now there's standards restored...

off to lie down now

Edited by robmcg

Possible 5MT's I could use are: 73050-52 (Sr - S&D, BR1A), 73080-89 (Sr, BR1B), 73110-19 (Sr, BR1F)

Oh wait, that's Baccy!

IGNORE THIS POST!!!!!!

Edited by 80104 Productions

• RMweb Gold

moderator! moderator! someone is messing with Standards here

There's no respect anymore.

edit; p.s. toboldlygo my doorstep delivery this morning was 340151 'Winston Churchill' Now there's standards restored...

off to lie down now

Awaiting another Standard 4MT here, the hard to find cheap double chimney variety and yes I did find it cheap ;)

• Like 1

Lovely, lovely model regardless, R3096. Also rather expensive. Rails of Sheffield have one at £124 described as a 'restoration project' and it's damaged and lacking parts and has glue stains, and is a jerky runner without box or literature!

If it is of any use, I'm pretty sure one of my local retailers (Richards Railways in Yatton, North Somerset - no link, just a happy customer) had a brand new R3096 on the shelf quite recently. I think it was somewhat more expensive than the £90-ish I paid for Hereward the Wake last summer from the same shop so I sort of ignored R3096 as it was about £120-£130 (I don't recall the exact price) so quite a lot more and I couldn't see why. However, compared to the above Rails price for a restoration project and Hattons price of £160 for a used 'like-new' example, it seems like a bargain now! I wonder if it is still there.........? I think he does mail order on request.

Thanks for the info leavesontheline, although I think I may drop this project, seeming as the Brits left before the time I'm modelling. Best save up some money and buy a (2nd) Bulleid pacific

Awaiting another Standard 4MT here, the hard to find cheap double chimney variety and yes I did find it cheap ;)

I trust we are discussing the magnificent perfect Hornby 75070 with quickly-detachable features? I could have sold you one for a modest three figure sum.. ... I think there is one in my 'must photograph again some day' room.

post-7929-0-37890200-1395876440.jpg

Edited by robmcg
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I trust we are discussing the magnificent perfect Hornby 75070 with quickly-detachable features? I could have sold you one for a modest three figure sum.. ... I think there is one in my 'must photograph again some day' room.

Definately a 75070, whoever assembled them didn't like glue more like. It was cheaper than the Blue Box ones... I have my contacts ;)

Thanks for the info leavesontheline, although I think I may drop this project, seeming as the Brits left before the time I'm modelling. Best save up some money and buy a (2nd) Bulleid pacific

Oh, I think he has some of them too! BoB's at least. I recently picked up 34083 605 Squadron and the slightly later (model) 34078 222 Squadron both brand new and both between £85 and £90. I think he still has one or two of 605 Squadron left and I think that was the cheaper one being a slightly older (non-DCC-ready) version of the model. Just checked my box - £86.95 for 605 Squadron - Beautiful model and a bargain compared to some more recent models/prices!

Edited to say that he also has some 're-builts' on the shelves still if that's more your thing - sorry, I didn't read back to see exactly what era you are aiming at! I'm lazy and its late!

Edited by leavesontheline