NOTTINGHAM East Midlands MODEL RAILWAY EXHIBITION 20-21 March 2010

Galtee More

...... it must have been a good show, although I spent most of the time cooped up in a small office mad.gif

That way he doesn't frighten the children, but we have to let him out occasionally, or we'd have the RSPCA chasing us.laugh.gif

On behalf of Nottingham Model Railway Society, thank you to all our exhibitors, without you it would be impossible.icon_clap.gif icon_clap.gif icon_clap.gif

We hope everyone who visited the show enjoyed themselves, Thank you for coming.

I personally would also like to thank all the NMRS members and volunteers, including the Clay Cross MRS who helped us with Stewarding, the wives, partners, and girlfriends who served refreshments to the exhibitors durign the show, and the staff at Harvey Hadden who again looked after us. I would also like to thank our Exhibition Manager, Ian Trivett, (Galtee More), who puts so much hard work in behind the scenes not just at the show, but during the year. The planning for the 2011 started before Christmas, and have we are already looking at layouts for 2012 and 2013.

We look forward to seeing you all in 2011, when the show will be held on the weekend of 19-20 March. One of our themes for 2011 will be the ex-GCR Woodhead route, in commemoration of the 30th anniversary of the closure of the route to through traffic. We will be exhibiting our own layout "Deepcar".

Keith Montgomery

Secretary

Nottingham Model Railway Society

Hi All,

Excellent show. I was there helping to operate Rockmoss from Sealand MRC. Great mix of layouts and trade. Spent 10 minutes watching Charlotte Road, great scenery. Saw 1 train. For a round and round layout is this really enough for the viewing public. The Midland 7mm layout Buxworth was excellent and Ian Futers' Ullapool proves that you don't need wide open spaces for 0 guage. I thoroughly recommend this exhibition to anyone .

Cheers for now, Ian

. Great mix of layouts and trade. Spent 10 minutes watching Charlotte Road, great scenery. Saw 1 train. For a round and round layout is this really enough for the viewing public.

And assuming that statement to be correct, is it in any way fair to judge a layout on 10 min out of a whole weekend?

OK, I'll readily admit the Wirral lads are mates, but I'd say their layouts are known to be amongst the most intensively operated and reliable on the circuit.

Hi,

It wasn't just me. We had quite a few of the viewing public telling us that not a lot was happening on the layout. I didn't mean it as a critiscm, just an observation.

Cheers, Ian

And assuming that statement to be correct, is it in any way fair to judge a layout on 10 min out of a whole weekend?

OK, I'll readily admit the Wirral lads are mates, but I'd say their layouts are known to be amongst the most intensively operated and reliable on the circuit.

I spent quite some time watching this layout. I certainly wouldn't describe it as intensively operated, when I say that, I mean not the usual roundy roundy like say St Giles. But there was always something going on to keep me occupied. Plenty of shunting with the occasional passing train, in my view much more realistic than watching train after train charge round.

Although I do think there is a place for both at exhibitions.

Cheers

Richard

However it was meant (and TBH I'm not entirely convinced), I think it's pretty bad form for one exhibitor at a show to publically criticise another.

Totally agree Ian - As a paying visitor to Nottingham show this year and therefore not being so held back by form, I have some thoughts about the layout 5Bel was behind, but I'd rather let others make their own mind up.

Hi,

It wasn't just me. We had quite a few of the viewing public telling us that not a lot was happening on the layout. I didn't mean it as a critiscm, just an observation.

Cheers, Ian

Sorry Ian, that is poor form and this post resulted in reports/complaints from readers other than those who have contributed to the topic. You've also succeeded in spoiling an otherwise sensible topic.

Excuse the poor quality of these snaps, I don't like to use a flash because it can upset the layout operators, but it does mean the pics don't come out as well as they could. Plus it is a cheapy compact digital camera.

Anyway, here are a few I took.

post-644-12692862503_thumb.jpg

Ilkeston Town

post-644-126928625636_thumb.jpg

Another view of Ilkeston Town

post-644-126928626247_thumb.jpg

Summatt Colliery

post-644-126928626877_thumb.jpg

Summatt Colliery

post-644-126928627538_thumb.jpg

Ravenscroft

Cheers

Richard

• RMweb Gold

Spent 10 minutes watching Charlotte Road, great scenery. Saw 1 train. For a round and round layout is this really enough for the viewing public.

We did have a couple of minor issues which did stop trains running for a while, that happens when you move a P4 layout a long distance in a van with dodgy suspension.

We also had lots of guest operators who we invited to come and have a go, most were literally off the floor people who were obviously very interested so "come and have a go if you like" was what we said - this included 2 quite young lads who went away with a big beaming smile, a dad cursing (nicely) about having to buy more trains and possibly the start of a lifetime interest - wonder how many other layouts did that for the youngsters - aside from the last hour the layout was 3-5 deep for most of the day, so I think the public would probably say that generally there were enough trains running - all our trains are data logged so I could be really boring and list exactly what was run and when.

Of course we could just run trains round and round with no thought for the prototype - after all we are renowned for not understanding operation.

btw - We go for quality not quantity and I'm far too polite to comment on others layouts ;)

aside from the last hour the layout was 3-5 deep for most of the day, so I think the public would probably say that generally there were enough trains running

Of course we could just run trains round and round with no thought for the prototype - after all we are renowned for not understanding operation.

btw - We go for quality not quantity and I'm far too polite to comment on others layouts wink.gif

I'm not too polite to comment on others layouts though, so..................

I was opposite Charlotte Road on Wansbeck Road all weekend and only got a few glimpses of the layout through the crowds!! So I'll have to say that people were more than happy to stand and watch the model operate in the prototypical way that Wirral Finescale group have mastered!! I can't wait to see it at Darlington and hopefully get mty hands on the controls - (If they'll have me!) And if I had a 29 foot space they could leave it up here after the exhibition!!!

On another positive note the exhibition has to rank amongst the best for organisation and hospitality!! (Thanks to which I'm several pounds heavier after the weekend!) Many thanks to all involved including the stewards from 2 of my previous clubs, namely Clay Cross and Belper!

Regards

Dave

We did have a couple of minor issues which did stop trains running for a while, that happens when you move a P4 layout a long distance in a van with dodgy suspension.

We also had lots of guest operators who we invited to come and have a go, most were literally off the floor people who were obviously very interested so "come and have a go if you like" was what we said - this included 2 quite young lads who went away with a big beaming smile, a dad cursing (nicely) about having to buy more trains and possibly the start of a lifetime interest - wonder how many other layouts did that for the youngsters - aside from the last hour the layout was 3-5 deep for most of the day, so I think the public would probably say that generally there were enough trains running - all our trains are data logged so I could be really boring and list exactly what was run and when.

btw - We go for quality not quantity and I'm far too polite to comment on others layouts ;)

Rumours of my attendance near Charlotte Rd at the time of any inactivity are strenuously denied, if there were any technical issues thankfully this time they did not come from Johah Woodenhead being in the vicinity.

Hi All,

I apologise unreservedly for my comment, I didnt mean to upset anyone. Charlotte Road is an excellent layout, finished to the highest of standards.

Sorry once again, Ian

• RMweb Gold

Hi All,

I apologise unreservedly for my comment, I didnt mean to upset anyone. Charlotte Road is an excellent layout, finished to the highest of standards.

Sorry once again, Ian

No problems - lets all shake hands and move on :icon_thumbsup2:

On another positive note the exhibition has to rank amongst the best for organisation and hospitality!! (Thanks to which I'm several pounds heavier after the weekend!) Many thanks to all involved including the stewards from 2 of my previous clubs, namely Clay Cross and Belper!

Regards

Dave

They really do look after you at Notts. I though the standard of hospitality was second to none so cheers to the organisers and all their helpers.

• RMweb Gold

Just to add a vote of thanks from myself and disco-dave to all the guys and gals at the Nottingham Model Railway Society for their hospitality all weekend. As has already been said we were looked after very well, even to the extent of moving the demo tables to clear the end of my layout biggrin.gif

Had a thoroughly brilliant weekend, it all went too quickly, sorry to those of you I meant to talk to but never had the chance (major-clanger for one springs to mind). Thanks to all of you that took time to seek me out and say hello and distract me from operating for so long.

Summat Colliery moved into a new phase on Sunday with the advent of dual throttle control (thanks to traction and his Dad for selling me a Powercab). I hope those of you who watched the layout on Sunday found it more flowing with almost constant movement on display.

Plently of interest in the new class 14 sound scheme, one decoder blown during the show, the first of many I hope.

I managed to resist the urge to buy a Parkside O gauge Hopper Wagon kit, but did invest in an archimedies drill and some PP Satan varnish for my new airbrush to play with (yes, I also remembered the thinners).

Personal highlights for me:

My Alexander Class 15 and "Standard Eight" getting third places in the awards

My Alexander Class 15 being mistaken twice for the new Heljan example

Being asked "is that the NRM version" by the Deltic Preservation Society when I showed them my Dapol bodied creation cool.gif

Having two sunday lunches on Sunday, one at the show then one when I got home laugh.gif

here's a snap of the DP1 that's for sale posing on the layout on Sunday

post-6717-126934706343_thumb.jpg

I'd like to add my thanks to the organisers, particularly for the hospitality, which was second to none.. My daughter thought she was in heaven, & seemed to be scoffing cake all day! First rate show, though didn't get to see much of the layouts during my few short breaks. Got home about 10;30, the good old Sierra didn't miss a beat...

Hi All,

I apologise unreservedly for my comment, I didnt mean to upset anyone.

Thanks Ian. For myself, it wasnt really a case of being upset, more that I find the occasional comments about lack of trains on either Lotty and Widnes particularly bemusing, as I know that because of the control systems used, Dave has the detailed digital info at his fingertips to refute such claims. Perhaps as Dave says, it's more that their trains are operated prototypically (e.g one train being held whilst another crosses its path), rather than the more usual exhibition scenario of trains circuiting mindlessly on opposite roads whilst interesting-looking yards and sidings stand redundant. Some of us appreciate the former, although I do realise that following prototype operational practice is tending to become a bit unfashionable these days

• RMweb Premium

Sorry there was no-one nearby, the person who should have been is ill and could only be around for a while.

The mixture is rabbit bedding, much coarser than sawdust, with PVA and polyfilla and, I think, a bit of plaster. This is just the base, there will be a good deal more stuff to add to the texture, the bit that had been added is ripped up floor buffing pads.

When the first mix was done it looked rather like tuna mayonnaise, so always gets referred to as such now :P

Thanks for all the kind comments, it must have been a good show, although I spent most of the time cooped up in a small office :mad:

Thanks for the Tuna Mayo recipe GC - do you use it because it's lighter in weight that plaster or is there another cunning reason??

I thought it was pretty good - I managed to get a space in the main car park. Having been a few times before, parking always seems to be an issue as does the bizarre u-turn in the road to get in. When I arrived it was raining and a car was having to be extracted from the muddy on-grass parking by a Landrover huh.gif

Some pretty good layouts - I especially liked the P4 NER layout with the third rail electric loco. And lots of trade support - a few box shifters, but lots of useful small suppliers.

The car parking situation is something we spend many hours planning and plotting each year. We have the main car park, plus two overflow car parks in adjacent schools. The amount of additional parking we can create on the on-site grassed areas is very much dependent upon the amount of rain we've had in the weeks leading up to the event. I suppose that it's a case of the visitors who arrive earliest get first choice of parking !

The '... bizare u-turn ...' was a police decision made as a result of an accident at this point a few years ago. Somebody stopped to turn right into the Harvey Hadden site and an idiot studying our banner, plus all the people and cars going through the gates, rammed the first car. They thought it best if everyone approached the entrance from the same direction. Whatever you may think, it's worked well since.

The vehicle recovery service was provided by the Nottingham MRS Land Rover Section - we have about seven between us !

hi

really enjoyed show i must have been about 10th in on Sat picked up just a few bits for next layout.

Well going to show vertually every year its one i look forward to.

Highlights for me was R Nicholls china clay , Ullapool , Anderstaff yard , Steel works layout , Wakefields American layout, and seeing a few friends.

Down side Mini bank swallowed my card so couldnt draw any money, to the Traders sorry?

Hugh

Archived