Not a lot of progress but I have been careful to use electofrog code 55 but cut and shut the electrics so all the frogs are powered from the point motors and the blades are powered from the edge with wire... So although time consuming it will ensure greater reliability and less shorts (I hope!!)

And i used an old Heiniken Ali can to ensure the fiddle yard track ends can be aligned if required! Taken from my teacher (engage) and modified slightly with glue screws and the occasional beer can :D

post-18903-0-99683600-1395530311_thumb.jpg

post-18903-0-27433800-1395530421_thumb.jpg

Edited by Only-Me
  • Like 7

• RMweb Gold

Hi Paul,

Looking very neat. How many trains will they hold?

So what's the plan with the scenic section? I think Nick makes a couple of good points about the station's "history" that will help explain the layout....

Cheers

Ben A.

Edited by Ben A

Well trying to keep the curves as loose as possible somewhat made the inner fiddle yard track smaller than the rest... The two inner tracks will hold six coaches plus loco (or as designed a four car DMU!), the outers at least 8 coaches plus loco so plenty of space for China Clay traffic (and the occassional 7+2 HST in modern day guise- I think you were just checking up on me there Ben :mail: ) -

So heres the write up :-

TORMOUTH

Tormouth is a town located somewhere on the South Devon coast.

Once a thriving Edwardian holiday destination which grew in popularity with the advent of the railways and its beautiful scenery, it found itself a main Terminus hub of the GWR with a thriving goods yard and small loco shed.  As the town prospered Mr Merwick built his funicular railway down the cliffs to the river Tor Estuary and Shingle beach. The GWR constructed a further branch line in the late 1890s to serve industry and a few small towns further along the coast.

To this day the branch line and the Tormouth section of the ex GWR survive, avoiding the Beeching act of the 1960s invariably due to the large volumes of China Clay traffic shipped along the branch from the clay pits of The SDCM (South Devon Clay Mines). 

Today, the once thriving Tormouth goods yard has been overtaken by light industry, the loco shed has become little more than a Diesel refuelling point and the branch south has been rationalised. However for the avid enthusiast, there are often China Clay and Wood workings to be seen travelling North along the branch to further afield hauled by a multitude of Diesel power.  There is also a regular diesel hauled service which terminates at Tormouth (still a busy holiday destination and tourist attraction) whilst some Diesel Multiple Units still travel south the final 12 miles to the eventual 1890s terminus of Sudley Balterton.

(last station name may be changed as I feel a lynching coming on! :blackeye: )

Edited by Only-Me
  • Like 6

Hi Paul

Yeah , I'll go along with that,  it's quite a good write up actually.   Just one question,

What are U going to use as a table when U start work on the scenics ?    :-)

Cheers

John

• RMweb Gold

Not to be confused with "Tormouth Quay", a layout which some of you will know from its appearance at several exhibitions down here in the southwest over the last few years.

Hi all - 'Tormouth Quay' will be appearing at the RMWeb Members Day event at Taunton on Sunday 27th April next, more details here - http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/83750-rmweb-members-day-at-taunton-2014-full-line-up-announced/

I really like the look of this new 'Tormouth' layout, though, and if the owner was willing, I'd be more than happy to see it at a future Taunton Members Day event - just PM me!

Thanks.

Just a little update for you all,

Spent some time making up wiring loom ends for all my seep motors (havent been this bored in ages, but a necessary pain in the neck as I decided wiring would be neat and colour coded)

Engage popped down and added his usual finishing touches, so the river banks under the viaduct have been widened slightly as well as test fitting the anti child protection!!!!

You'll also see that apart from the bay platform crossover for decoupling and the old loco shed siding it is progressing pretty well. Hopefully i'll source the missing points this weekend from KS Models in Stevenage and begin the task of adding power droppers to the track.

Not the tidiest worker me as you can see! I also lost my goggles so the sunglasses took a Nickel battering from my dremel! Oh well needs must!

post-18903-0-28304600-1396544126_thumb.jpg

post-18903-0-12933200-1396544140_thumb.jpg

post-18903-0-71127000-1396544337_thumb.jpg

Edited by Only-Me
  • Like 4

• RMweb Gold

I have done something sinilar ilar but with D connectors on the ends of the SEEP solenoids so that they can be easily unplugged should there be a fault with them.

Layout coming along nicely.

Ian

Edited by roundhouse

The wife was making a cake tonight and knowing how indeible they are it gave me an idea for the leftover mix :D

Never made cliffs with this method before so will post another picture when its dried and ive fettled a bit... Basically some roughed up computer packaging foam then coated with filler mixed to a double cream sort of consistency!!

If it doesnt work it will be removed and back to Mod Rock I shall go ;)

post-18903-0-32276300-1396990579_thumb.jpg

Edited by Only-Me
  • Like 2

Hi  Paul

Not a very pretty sight at the mo, hope you didn't do the work in the dining room   :no:

Looking forwards to seeing it after a bit of Fettling has taken place and to hear if it will

be staying or if it has to go.   I must add however that I think it looks the part so we might

be OK.

Cheers

John

Gap in the middle? Oh yes, thats the board centres i need to cut and glue in some thinner foam here... This was more of a test to see what it comes out like being a first attempt so the foam is not fixed very well at the moment, howerver judging from the look of it this morning i will be fixing it securely with some mastic from behind and applying another coat of filler...

• RMweb Gold

Hi Paul,

If you are applying another coat of filler then you may want to experiment with adding a little black powder paint. That, ideally, would turn the whole thing grey then if a bit gets chipped off in the future you won't have the bright white staring through...

Also, I thought you were a little harsh about the cake, though to be fair I haven't had to eat any!

Cheers

Ben A.

Edited by Ben A

Thanks Ben. to be fair the mrs makes exceedingly good cakes :yes:

The filler has dried more of a cream colour, however yes I do take your point, so not having any powder paint I wonder if I could throw in a bit of acrylic to give it colour...as that is plentiful in my modeling collection..hmmm.... at the moment, the layers are so thin that in places you can feel the foam still (which is why I do think I'm leaning to modrock as its less mess and only required one layer, then I used to cover it with watered down filler but I didn't get the rough finish I was looking for with modrock it was always very smooth (not good for cliffs!)... So I'll try some dark grey acrylic paint in the mix later on in the week and see what happens.. :meeting:

Added a better picture showing some work to remove ripples and runs as it was drying..

post-18903-0-86799300-1397031537_thumb.jpg

Edited by Only-Me
  • Like 2

Bit more work over the last few days, a second layer of filler gloop added to the front cliffs, mixed in with a pot of black Tamiya acrylic (as no powder paints available!) to hide the white filler colour a touch.  Smoothed over the wood base too as it needed slight levelling.  Also started on the back river valley supports for the Funicular and the edging.  Need to add some proper outcrops etc to the front cliffs and some cut up foam to the fine wire mesh of the river valley to form the sides before mod rocking it.

post-18903-0-73056200-1397463160.jpg

post-18903-0-81491200-1397463169.jpg

Also now finished all the wiring droppers from track to under board level.  Next is to finish the points in the station area and ballast the scenic section because I cannot split the boards apart now until I've cut through the track which in turn cannot be done until the track is ballasted properly!...

Edited by Only-Me
  • Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Looking good and clearly starting to take shape; must admit landscaping was never my personal favourite task but you seem to have got it covered (sorry!)

Quick question: the single line at the front seems a bit close to the cliff edge, and I was wondering whether you're still planning to put the 'old' line in as I thought it was in front of the remaining line?  Or have I missed a step somewhere...?!

David

• RMweb Gold

Hi Paul,

All looking good. The basic shape is looking right. Once the ballasting is done and you know it runs (and can be dismantled successfully and reassembled!) it'll be time to think about more detailed scenic work.

How are you going to fit the funicular? Any chance of some photos?

Cheers

Ben A.

Edited by Ben A

Hi Ben,

I'ts a Brass kit so I've got to build it first  :) .... So the basic instructions said it needs to be mounted onto a flat board at 45 Degrees... The flat piece of ply you see is angled at 45 degrees so hopefully it'll be ok on that in some form.  I need to cut out a piece of the base board at the lower end of the flat ply, so when a car is at the bottom it is level with the base so a building can be scratch built around it.  As for the top, I am toying with raising it up a little bit more to give it a longer run.  the two cars run along code 55 track with a16mm gap between each track on a pulley system with motor and reed switches mounted behind in the void.  I think we'll probably be best to get; as you say the basics done and keep the flat part clear until decisions on other scenic things have been made.   I'll email you a copy of the funicular instruction sheet so you get an idea of what I hope it will do :)

Also once it comes apart when the ballasting is complete and all the wiring is done I'll bring it up in the car for an idea gathering event!

Edited by Only-Me
  • Like 1

Hello all, heres todays update,

My home made points control panel...made in Visio, laminated and then mounted on ply. You will notice holes for leds which will run the mimic panel using a pcb purchased from www.blocksignalling.co.uk so it knows last set point position

post-18903-0-35389500-1397559374_thumb.jpg

Edited by Only-Me
  • Like 5

This is taking longer than anticipated as I used bi directional Leds!

The two pictures show only the top left section functional at the moment, if you look in picture one the points are straight.

post-18903-0-77674000-1397680580_thumb.jpg

Picture two shows them in crossover mode but the centre led hasnt come out very well on the picture.

post-18903-0-35507600-1397680594_thumb.jpg

Think i shall have to reduce the voltage a tad as i'm beginning to get Ark Eye!! :D

Edited by Only-Me
  • Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

Apologies for a lack of updates, unfortunately the control panel became a touch complicated and had a bit of a rework.... Still heres a little hint of just how complicated it has been to wire and solder!!!

As you can see the mimic board and control circuitry are now mounted over the fiddle yard. Reasoning for that was for easy access if an issue occurs and also we have issues with stock getting knocked over on Horseley firelds during operation, so I decided this was a better way of ensuring it stays on the tracks rather than the old method of reaching over all the stock to control the layout...!!

post-18903-0-53894000-1398636227.jpg

18 wires to go!! - The left side of the board you will see two voltage rectifiers (£5 each from ebay) which have a variable resistor pot, so you can set the exact voltage you require on the output side...essentially the whole mimic board, lighting, point control and the CDU are now powered by one old 19V DC Dell Laptop Supply rated 4.5A which I had kicking about.... 

post-18903-0-18141400-1398636237.jpg

Hopefully the wiring can be tidied up a bit with some more tie wraps when Evil Bay sends them!!! :D

Edited by Only-Me
  • Like 7