post-11459-0-10030200-1395362994_thumb.jpg

post-11459-0-00050800-1395363066_thumb.jpg

post-11459-0-03619400-1395363101_thumb.jpg

post-11459-0-91690100-1395363133_thumb.jpg

Welcome to Meanach.  I should of started this way back in 2009 when I first began layout construction. Better late than never as they say!

After several kind comments on this site I have been persuaded to bring Meanach to a wider audience via the layout forum . 

Meanach is a permanent layout , sadly I now think. I wasn't sure how it would turn out as I had done no model making of any kind since 1991! 

Set in 1988 , every year is akin to groundhog day! This is the year I first went to Ardlui for a family holiday by train and listened to the 37s slip and slide out of the station setting my the glens and my heart alight! Thus followed a life long obsession? with the west highland and Kyle lines. When I first thought about a new layout following my first house purchase there really was no doubt as to what the subject matter would be! Following a purchase of Ian Futers books I hijacked one of his ideas and began research into a proposed mainly freight line which was to run across the area roughly occupied by the Munro "Ben Alder". This would of exited by Tulloch and joined the Highland mainline roughly north of Dalwhinnie.  This is an area I have walked in many times. I have tried to recreate the look of this part of Perthshire.

Utilizing the timber resource within the area the line would of been ripe for o.t.a timber traffic . The potential to cut journey times to Perth would I am certain , created a passenger service. Meanach sees 4 trains a day each way besides the speedlink and timber traffic .

This Forum will illustrate day to day goings on at Meanach , a lonely passing place. I will also post my latest bits n bobs on the work bench and or scenic developments. I hope you will join me on this trip back to the days of Scotrail 1988.

Ian

post-11459-0-63086600-1395436936.jpg

Evening speedlink , Fortwilliam bound. Double headed timber traffic and pca. Seen at Meanachs east end. 

post-11459-0-12170900-1395437929_thumb.jpg

A hiker stops to watch the rumble in the glen as the tractors burst out the cutting. Or maybe he was out to phot them anyway ; )

Thanks very much guys for the comments . I'm desperately seeking a back scene . As yet all the ones I've seen are vivid summer green and as you can see I have gone for the more typical highland spring or autumn muted colours of brown . If anyone has any pointers I'd be very grateful ! Ian

post-11459-0-19204100-1395618985_thumb.jpg

Its Sunday afternoon and Eastfield and Inverness must have had a lot of tractors in on exams as today saw not one but 2 sulzers pass Meanach. 

First up 26023 working into Meanach approaching the ever ferocious burn. I hope this helps to illustrate a wider view of the layout .

post-11459-0-28476100-1395619419_thumb.jpg

A couple of hours later and 26035 finds itself on the Sundays only 17:18 ex Perth to Fortwilliam . The passengers are currently oblivious to the n.b loco but soon will be now the warm sun has gone down and basher has left the windows down!

post-11459-0-05461600-1395619728_thumb.jpg 

Ha ha somebody spotted where I ripped the bridge idea off from! I was lucky enough to have caught 37/4 s on passenger in 88 , although I was only 13 . Later I did the back packer express ( remember those? ) and the beds. I also dropped on a few 26 vice unit turns in the lowlands and had the green pair back from Kyle in 92? Thus giving me a taste for the spluttering little rattle boxes . My favourite after 37s & 20s .

Erm hmm . I'm not all that up on software for track plans so you will have to bare with me on that one! It's an oval but not! It's an end to end that could if id wished of become a roundy roundy! I have 2 fiddle yards side by side , one higher than the other . One represents fortwilliam and the other Perth / Inverness & civilisation !

The scenic section begins with a gorge over the loft hatch , hence i needed it to be narrow! It opens out over an occupation bridge and comes down a gradient round the curve to the bridge. That section is 6' foot measures into the corner. The section from the mountain to the timber loading area on the right corner is 13 feet end to end and then the station section and exit past the kirk (no prizes for guessing where i ripped that idea off!!) is 8 foot of scenery . The 2 fiddle yards have 5 roads each holding 5 carriage trains on the longest . Nowhere near as grand as Waverley west . I remember seeing that in the mag when I was first starting Meanach and being awe inspired . We can't go bashing any more so we do it in miniature where we never get bowled out ! Lol

For those of you who requested a wider view , here is a view of the station and yard entrance.

post-11459-0-14964100-1395698065_thumb.jpg

On the work bench in between playing trains...

post-11459-0-14419800-1395698204_thumb.jpg

Being a typical highland station there are long periods of inactivity and much tea drinking! 

I just acquired an air brush so my first weathering project was a recent 37049 I managed to find new for a very sensible £140.00. I know it hardly pushes the boat out in terms of a rework! lol . I couldn't resist this monster . Looking at fellow Scottish themed layouts on here it seems neither can anyone else! oh well. They do say a cliche becomes a cliche for a good reason...

Meanach, I used to cut the grass at Kilchurn castle every fortnight. Used to park the pickup in the car park about 50yds from the bridge. Then a long walk out to the castle with a strimmer, rake and grass bags(Then a longer walk back with Strimmer, rake and FULL bags) 

Keep the pics comin!

Spelling edit.

Hi Meanach,

Nice layout, I remember going out for the 37/4s in the Highlands. Nice to see some class 26's top little loco's.

Cheers Peter.

Ah! I know your layout. I once spent most of a night shift reading every post from the start. Most of my bashing days were spent around the north west/ north wales and Derby - Llandudno services. Your layout takes me right back. Fantastic modelling with loads of atmosphere. Ian

Archived