Another small project almost completed - all this stock will need weathering at some point but I can't be ar$ed at present. 

post-238-0-69954000-1532520490_thumb.jpg

Decalling makes my mojo wither and die, I can feel it ebbing away with each blasted tiny piece of lettering... I did go back and straighten the lettering on the end of the barrel as it was too wonky for my tastes.

I ought to stop procrastinating and go and buy some extruded foam and get on with landscaping.  I'm also awaiting a couple more buildings to arrive, as I really want to get on and build them as I enjoyed the freight house so much.

• Like 4

It is the Cornerstone Kit... the depot is on its way from Germany.  They are great kits, or at least the current ones from China or Taiwan are.  The early ones from Heljan (pale blue boxes) not so great.

Anyway, I've been spraying and decalling to change the ID of my cars and locos... not looking forward to decalling 'Arizona Eastern' or AZER letter by letter.  Anyone know who could do me some decals made up?

And then it was playtime...

post-238-0-48850400-1532544067_thumb.jpg

post-238-0-59826700-1532544086_thumb.jpg

post-238-0-56818600-1532544104_thumb.jpg

Former Frisco 1632, shortly to become Arizona Eastern some thing or other :)

Oh, and I found a sort of trackplan... old skule, hand drawn

post-238-0-69493700-1532544299_thumb.jpg

• Like 9

A little bit of progress today, in between buying a Boss BF-3 and some new leads for my bass...

post-238-0-62644500-1532622733_thumb.jpg

post-238-0-40172000-1532622792_thumb.jpg

one $odding letter at a time, I hate decalling.  Serves me right for freelancing... I keep looking at it wondering if I've made a spelling mistake or got a letter back to front,  Something doesn't look quite right.

The three Decs are going to be numbered 5, 6 and 7 in homage to the Magma Arizona trio.  8 and 9 are going to be RSD12s...

>edit< corrected the Boss model number...

Edited by Dr Gerbil-Fritters
  • Like 6

Halfway done...

post-238-0-82924800-1532797519_thumb.jpg

Only the middle tender has had several applications of MicroSol to bed the decals down properly.  The other two were done this afternoon during a small thunderstorm whilst listening to the Cocteau Twins.

Once the decals are complete - and I may have to purchase even more Railroad Roman letters from Microscale - then a blush of weathering will help blend them in even more. 

Quite pleased with my modelling so far this summer...

• Like 7

Dear Dr G-F,

Those lovely Decapods look great and I'm sure having a fleet like that will tie everything together very nicely.

Neatly done decalling, too. Much better than some roads I've seen done with letraset or similar and where every item of motive power is different!

Cheers,

John.

Thanks John,  I've got some more tweaking to do before I'm finished but I've completed all three engines on one side.  Now I need more decals :(  Going to end up with a lot of surplus letters....

Here's a flavour of the future, starting with three trains at the depot...

post-238-0-14621200-1532882278_thumb.jpg

and the three locomotives bedded down for the weekend.

post-238-0-81980900-1532882303_thumb.jpg

The three have interesting minor differences that set them apart, but look like the sort of bunch that would end up on a shortline after a career elsewhere.

post-238-0-01250900-1532882451_thumb.jpg

Edited by Dr Gerbil-Fritters
  • Like 7

Very nice work and looking!

RSD12's will be great too! You know I love Alcos  :locomotive:

Cocteau Twins is a good choice to stay zen.

I don't like decals too. I've used dry transfer on all my rolling stock and locomotives. But letter by letter making  :resent:

I've always wanted to do another shortline, but need something with a long tender for the 'Eastern Tennessee and Western North Carolina'.  Oh why make things difficult?  I'll use '&' instead of 'and' :sungum:

Doc you've reminded me of individual lettering with a piece of not too sticky sticky-tape as a guide.  Haven't done any of that since I had to start wearing glasses, back in the days of Letraset dry-transfer lettering.

Jason

Dr,

Had you thought about getting a decal maker to print you up a sheet of custom transfers with your own lettering & logo? Saves all the hassle of individual letters and wasted bits of sheets.

I did for my Bachman, Turner Overland shortline and one sheet will do me for all the stuff I will ever need. Wasn't that pricey either.

steve

Dr,

Had you thought about getting a decal maker to print you up a sheet of custom transfers with your own lettering & logo? Saves all the hassle of individual letters and wasted bits of sheets.

I did for my Bachman, Turner Overland shortline and one sheet will do me for all the stuff I will ever need. Wasn't that pricey either.

steve

Steve, I would love to - but can't seem to find any.  Do you have a suggestion?  Who did your decals? 

I need caboose and freight cars making up, as well as the other side of the tenders...

Microscale will only do a minimum of 250 sheets!  

Couldn't help but ask Google about FGLK decals, but the wife's done the toast so here's the first hit:

https://modernrails.com/products/fglk-railway-bay-window-caboose-ho-decal-set

Friend of mine in O-scale asked to borrow a Railpace from years ago which had an article on the real thing, I'll ask him what he's doing about decals.

Jason

• RMweb Premium

Steve, I would love to - but can't seem to find any.  Do you have a suggestion?  Who did your decals? 

I need caboose and freight cars making up, as well as the other side of the tenders...

Microscale will only do a minimum of 250 sheets!  

Have you tried Precision Labels here in the UK?

If you've already done the artwork, they are pretty quick and reasonably priced.

The other UK decal maker to consider is Railtec.

Cheers,

Mick