• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

So nice to hear the proper Hoover sound in post 376. Would be so nice if someone made a DCC chip with Hoover sound before they were refurbished.

Dr Gerbil fritters post above brought it all back, i had completely forgotten what they sounded like before refurbishment, I now do though and it was one heck of a racket they made on pulling into a station!

The noise came from that louvred vent at cantrail height next to that roof recess at number 2 end. It was the inertial air filter fans that drew air into the engine room which normally contained lots of oily exhaust carbon that had disastrous consequences on the electrical machines and the filters themselves quickly became blocked leading to black exhaust smoke amongst other things. 

Edited by Gary H

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Top pic certainly is Old Oak, the Factory to be precise (RIP!).

Just after 2 o'clock so shift changeover or at a weekend, hence deserted. Anyone could walk in from the canal towpath back then....

Dave

• Like 1

Was great back then before beer and sex and chips and gravy! :jester: If i was'nt partaking in any of that sort of thing i was working most times so the only way of seeing anything  was on the odd weekends i was free. So i became a member of the 'Lancs' Loco' Society' for several years in the 1980's, they did weekend coach tours of a different area of the Countries depots, stabling points and stations about once a month. Depots were always quiet but full of locos'  :locomotive: Worst thing was travelling through the Friday and Saturday nights trying to get enough kip sat on a 1970's battered old coach sat next to some over weight weezing fat guy, the type who always wore three 35mm chunky cameras around his neck.  :mosking:

Edited by Owd Bob
  • Like 3

Interesting pic, were red blanks usually provided on 4-character headcode blinds? I know the SR used 2-character ones instead of a tail lamp, but their locos were more likely to be on the end of a train!

I must confess I didn't notice that when I was posting it! The red blanks are probably at the end of the roll I'd imagine.

• 4 weeks later...

50007 and 50049 are an awesome sight as they stop at Wigan North Western station around 7am on the morning of Saturday 5th January 2019 with the 1Z28 The Waverley Reunion Pathfinder Tour from Birmingham New Street to Tweedbank.

attachicon.gif50007 at Wigan North Western 1.jpg

Great photo very well lit . Bet they sounded fantastic .

• 2 months later...