Sealing Sundeala Baseboards

I am creating a new layout using Sundeala baseboards. I have just read that Sundeala should be sealed using varnish as protection against water-based adhesives. I am planning on using PVA glue for ballast fixing as well as a cork underlay. Can anyone recommend the best type of varnish (or other sealant) to use?

Many thanks

Martin

• RMweb Premium

I don't use Sundeala but when sealing baseboards made of other materials I use paint. White underneath and earth colour on the top.

Sudeala is really not a good base/basis for tracklaying- very prone to any dampness and will distort at the slightest opportunity- guess how I know this?. I would seriously consider a more stable material before committing any time and money to a layout - there are a lot more suitable types of board about, and plenty of help and advice around here for guidance.For example, have you considered some of the foam insulation sheets- light and stable and quite robust.

HTH.

Richard

Edit- Welcome to the forum, BTW- lots of inspiration and ideas to be found here.

Meaning Sundeala is a 40 year old idea that didn't work. Using pva to glue ballast is long-winded, and messy, I prefer to use thinned water-based wood stain, easier, and ready coloured, saves having to paint, and making the ballast look little better than porridge.

• RMweb Premium

I've used Sundeal for baseboards, finding it excellent for taking track pins, cutting holes for point motors etc. i have never sealed it and never had any problems with distortion etc. I have used loose ballast fixed with pva too, again with no problems.

Archived