Warley at the NEC 2014, 22nd and 23rd November

Robert Shrives

Just out of interest, did you personally thank or hear anybody else do the same for the performances of these professional amateurs....? I bet the bus drivers taking the hoards of punters back to the car parks got more appreciation....

If I see a layout that, to me, is a good layout, I always try and tell the operators that I like it. I certainly did this at Warley on at least one occasion. This, to me, is just common courtesy.

Phil

If you could tell that mistakes were made because of "sheer stupidity" and were deserving of "severe words" I suspect that you don't exhibit very often because they don't tell you. I certainly wouldn't have you as part of my team with that attitude.

I'm always very wary of this often argued viewpoint. Yes, I try to put on the best display I can, well lit, presented and reliable but I do this because I want to present my work in its best light not because I feel under any obligation because the punters have paid a few quid to get in. 

I and my fellow exhibitors have taken Friday off, given up my weekend, hauled my pride and joy halfway across the country in the back of a car and in the case of Warley operated from 9.15am to 6.00pm for nothing more than our out of pocket expenses. Don't get me wrong, we do it because we enjoy it but if somebody doesn't like my exhibit or the way I operate well go and look at something else.

As for the show itself this year. We had a very enjoyable, if exhausting weekend. The host club looked after us very well as usual and whilst there was nothing that blew me away this year (working bicycles, upside down fiddle yards, clever tricks with perspective etc) there was still plenty of good things to look at.

Clarendon, despite having seen it many times, is beautiful. The Gauge 3 St Ives and 5" gauge shunting planks were barmy and loads of fun. I also got to see Black Country Blues for the first time and was very impressed. 

Jerry

I've done well over a hundred shows in years past, and have also learnt through life to try and see things from both sides of the fence.When operators are not paying attention to what they're doing, they need to be told to buck their ideas up when they're operating at a premier show that every visitor has paid a lot of money to attend (and not just in entrance fee, but getting there, food etc. as well).

If a young operator is being trained under the watchful eye of another operator, mistakes can and will happen, and that is understandable. It would be more preferable if the layout could be set up and operators trained before exhibiting, but that isn't always possible, so allowances have to be made.

When I go to a show like Warley, however, I don't want or expect to see people "playing trains" but operating their layouts to the best of their ability, and that is not what I saw on most certainly one particular occasion. When I operate, I always try to make sure that I do it to the best of my ability as I am there to both entertain the public and promote the hobby in a positive light. If operators don't mind the "anoraks" epithet, let them play trains. Personally, I prefer to hold my head up high and be proud of the fact that I make model railways when I tell people what my hobby is.

Phil

• RMweb Premium

As usual there was an abundance of good quality aspirational layouts, personal favourite being End of the Line which was absolutely fantastic (despite me being a staunch D&E modeller).

That's one of the great things I often find about  model railways, things that I've no interest in modelling, and often things that I really dislike in real life, still frequently manage to produce models I find great and could spend ages watching.

• RMweb Gold

Hi All ,

Thanks for the many supportive comments and votes ! as noted a lot goes into the weekend.

On Monday I spent several hours with a friend who has MS and is restricted to a mobility scooter for quite a bit of time but is still an active volunteer on the Ffestiniog. My friend has in last 12 months had 4 scooters , all returned with power control faults despite being top of range with controls that are counter intuiative, and failing electronics - at one exhibiton the scooter would suddenly engage reverse or worse not reverse when required! Speed control from stop to 3mph had a switch movement of around 3mm.on two sets of controls offered. Suppliers have only recently realised and acknoweldeged that equipement is not fit for purpose. It will take several years for this at best junk (add own words here !) to be weeded out.

The NEC supplied scooters are lmited by an after market (NEC) fitted limiter to around 2mph.

So I think yes scooters will always be with us and shows and other users will have to learn how to cope much better with " reduced mobility users" - and that def includues walking stick users, persons with baby buggies or luggage/ rucksacks. It might be best redefined as "Normal mobility user " - you and me with our hands in our pockets walking around, caryying nothing and not listening to music/ on phone and being aware of what is happening around us.

Finally looking forward to 2015  see you there

Robert              

Robert's post implies that the NEC are supplying their own mobility scooters to punters.  I wonder what instruction is given to their use or assessment made of the hirer's competence?  This may be the cause of scooters being driven into layouts or other punters, but doesn't excuse the resulting discourtesy.

Not sure of the solution.  Allow people to bring in their own scooters but only hire out non-powered wheelchairs?  Draconian, I know, but there is a significant "elf & safety" issue here.  I would certainly consider legal redress if my leg were broken by an NEC owned scooter; and if it were proven that the NEC had provided inadequate instruction, I don't think they would have a leg to stand on.  Which would be one less than me!

Bill

• RMweb Gold

Robert's post implies that the NEC are supplying their own mobility scooters to punters.  I wonder what instruction is given to their use or assessment made of the hirer's competence?  This may be the cause of scooters being driven into layouts or other punters, but doesn't excuse the resulting discourtesy.

Not sure of the solution.  Allow people to bring in their own scooters but only hire out non-powered wheelchairs?  Draconian, I know, but there is a significant "elf & safety" issue here.  I would certainly consider legal redress if my leg were broken by an NEC owned scooter; and if it were proven that the NEC had provided inadequate instruction, I don't think they would have a leg to stand on.  Which would be one less than me!

Bill

I was hit by one at a show a couple of years ago and it skinned my lower leg - nothing nasty but still a bit on the sore side for a while.  So I follow my own experience and try to steer well clear of them.  But my concern is more about the ones who do not steer clear of me because they are either badly or thoughtlessly driven or because the driver doesn't seem to know how to operate the thing or they simply don't look where they are going.

I think Bill is on the right tack with limiting people to the use of their own machines with which they are properly familiar rather than letting them out on a hired machine in a crowded exhibition hall with numerous obstructions.

Ma colleagues at Blandford say thank you to all those who complimented, and made favourable comments on our layout, it must have been appreciated as I'm told that most of the time the crowd in front of the layout was between 3 and 5 deep.

• RMweb Gold

Ma colleagues at Blandford say thank you to all those who complimented, and made favourable comments on our layout, it must have been appreciated as I'm told that most of the time the crowd in front of the layout was between 3 and 5 deep.

Yes, every time I passed by (and stopped) it was very difficult to get near it but what I saw looked quite impressive.

Thanks for those, beginning to think that we weren't there with "Alloa", a most enjoyable, but tiring three days, but we are back now and have to put the layout back up at the club!

p.s. Many thanks for the Bachmann Trophy! Much appreciated.

Anyone want to comment on any of the layouts?

funny that I was looking around the forum for a review on the layouts. I have done that many shows in the last few years, that there was not a lot there that I hadn't seen before, one that caught my eye was the N gauge “Kirkham Abbey” Peco track, RTR stock, just very well done. And looking like I am biased to 2mm “St Ruth” the DG couplers working well, other than that Aloa held up the 4mm end . There looks like there will be something to look forward too in 7mm, in the shape of “Lancaster Arye green”, a bit disappointed in “Dainton bank” the the DC control worked, did not see anything move with the new DCC system. There was just one thing missing this year, one of those continental dioramas.  

Anyone want to comment on any of the layouts?

It easy to forget it was a Model Railway Show - Lots of great comments about 'Kinlochewe' if I say so myself especially those that returned time and again to ask when the next steam trip was leaving. We had the 'Jacobite in the form of a Hornby B1 fitted with Howes ( Bryan's ) sound - was certainly a crowd pleaser. Lots of 'peeps' mystified how uncoupling was taking place until we explained. I could go on ! :sungum: !

Bill.

Had a chat with one of the Blandford guys over lunch on Sunday and he congratulated us on our award which was appreciated as Blandford is an excellent layout and was obviously in the running.

Our first time with 'Alloa' at the NEC and as we are such a small group limited to two shows each year it may well be its only visit there..Aylesbury in May along with NEC took care of 2014.

It was a great show and we met many old friends so hopefully we can arrange to travel south again to another fine venue next year.

Thanks to the organisers for a well run show and thanks to the public for crowding us out for two solid days..tiring but very rewarding.

Dave.

post-2371-0-68189100-1417041499_thumb.jpeg

post-2371-0-11423300-1417041526_thumb.jpeg

post-2371-0-10611000-1417041579_thumb.jpeg

post-2371-0-91998200-1417041602_thumb.jpeg

A little warning - the travelators were in pieces yesterday so probably won't be working for the weekend. Might limit the amount of goodies you can lug back to the station.

Phil

Oh no it wont!

Um can he have the show in summer next year please, its bloomin cold in this dog house and running the extension lead out so I could power the computer took ages!

Must leave bank cards at home and just take some bits of paper with Her Majs face on them next year!  :no:

Seeing as our intrepid band of long distance travellers made the annual North Devon to Warley Saturday pilgrimage,

Where-as us from South Devon jumped on the 0525 from Plymouth, sat back and snoozed off for an hour or 2 before waking to enjoy the scenery, yum Bourneville, before the scrum to squeeze onto an 11 coach Pendo for the hop down to International.

Another excellent show (completely lost track of time and forgot about the meet  :nono:  although I am not a proper modeller yet but we do have an impending house move which will change that), the layouts were exceptional and the few exhibitors I managed to talk to were very chatty, my 11 year old mugged me twice at the Rapido trains stand while I talked at length with Mr Tilt, I could have talked to him for hours.

The sales stands were also up to their normal standard with prices just that little bit too low to resist (see my previous post about the dog house), all told an excellent, if rather long day.

Only problems, the afore mentioned 0525 departure time,  those young ladies in skimpy outfits going to comic con, actually they weren't the problem, the 11 year old I was dragging around with me was because I couldnt nip outside for some talent spotting (bloomin kids), our intended home train from New Street home was cancelled (no train manager) so we left early rather than try and squeeze on the later train.

One thought-

Would it be possible to have some lockers available (even if they had to be paid for and were attended service) so we could dump our goodies rather than drag them around all day, it would also prevent people banging their legs on the bags.

Roll on next year!

Take a bow ladies and Gents, you deserve it.

Oh and as mentioned, realistic cash offers were normally accepted without question!

Where-as us from South Devon jumped on the 0525 from Plymouth,

and a couple of us from sunny East Devon drove up to Taunton where we joined you on what became the 06:50 departure.

Like you, we were booked on the cancelled 19:12 from New Street back to civilisation.  We were advised that our alternative was the 19:42, which would be a "double set".  Unfortunately, when they tried to couple the 19:42 to the delayed - yes, delayed, not cancelled at all! - 19:12 they found that for some reason they couldn't do it.  We sat & waited, with the occasional "bump" as the two units were encouraged to conjoin (am I allowed to say that?) but without success.  Eventually they called for "an engineer" who smacked something with a big hammer & got it all working and we eventually departed BNS something over an hour late.

By the time we got to Axminster the chippy was shut (as were the pubs & everything else - we were the only things still moving at that time!) so we missed out on supper.

Apart from that, a good day was had by us both.

Archived