Warley at the NEC 2014, 22nd and 23rd November

Robert Shrives

• RMweb Premium

Over all not really that impressed with Warley, had a very nasty run in with a self appointed warley club jobs worth on sunday morning, who has no legal right to do anything... I have since checked this and I am 100% correct! Which technically means I was assaulted !I really think despite the scale of the task in hand after so many years (decades) they might have got it together by now! I read in the latest RM in an interview that Warley might be in it's last decade, and well to be honest with other shows doing really well and many people i know both exhibitors and visitors now giving it a miss that might not be a bad thing. I should point out I have nothing but praise for the NEC staff, who did an outstanding job, were helpful, catering was first class, and traffic got me to were I needed to be with little fuss or bother, and there own security staff were professional, fair and organised, oh and above all legally licensed and trained!Anyhow back on a more positive note, thank you once again for coming to visit us on B72, we hope you did enjoy the weekend and Thornton Gate! I for one really did enjoy talking to you all 

The rest of the world don't want to know your problems.

Warley Model Railway club do, so I suggest you contact them.

Regards

Eltel

My other half seemed to be getting the brunt of the NEC security. On Friday she was told to park in a certain car park but when she got there was told off for doing so. On Friday the same security person wouldn't let her in with the car as she was a couple of minutes too early and turned her around but fellow operator 2 cars behind her was let in.

Over all not really that impressed with Warley, had a very nasty run in with a self appointed warley club jobs worth on sunday morning, who has no legal right to do anything... I have since checked this and I am 100% correct! Which technically means I was assaulted !I really think despite the scale of the task in hand after so many years (decades) they might have got it together by now! I read in the latest RM in an interview that Warley might be in it's last decade, and well to be honest with other shows doing really well and many people i know both exhibitors and visitors now giving it a miss that might not be a bad thing. 

Sorry to hear of these issues, I'm really not sold on this "exhibiting at Warley" concept. I heard a while ago that there is an agreement in place preventing anyone else organising a Railway Modelling show at the NEC, perhaps it's time to let someone else have a go.

In the meantime, I shall be sending an e-mail to the NEC, complaining of the horrible lighting that would be better suited in a grit storage shed instead of a modelling show. It's several generations behind current large space lighting solutions, and its costing them more money to keep it than replace it outright. I didn't go to the show, but they don't know that....

The purpose of the English language is to communicate with one another. It is not to demonstrate one's superior level of education though I do sometimes wonder about that especially in this country. Perhaps we'd do better to respect than to correct one another.

Perhaps some respect for the person on the receiving end would also be in order, as well as the English language itself. It shouldn't be down to the reader to work out what the writer is trying to say.That way, misunderstandings arise.

While languages are "living things" and change over time, using it in a sloppy way helps nobody. 

Yes and it was free...

Yes, but that's no help to the traders. The mobile card readers dial directly into the banks' computers. They don't use the Internet. So it has to be a good 3G signal, or it won't work.

• RMweb Premium

I'm still part way through putting Green Ayre away properley after it's first ever outing as a full layout.   First of all i would like to compliment the Warley club on their superb organisation over the whole weekend.   Eveything on the admin side worked well and the car parking, stewarding etc on the Friday was good, efficient and friendly.   The catering was excellent, especiually the lasagne on Sunday.    The break down worked well and we got the lorry into the hall shortly after 6pm.   For a variety of reasons there were some holdups on the way home but we got things unloaded and the lorry back to the hire company and I was home by midnight.

Warley is a club organised show and aa such any surplus from it is ploughed back into the hobby, unlike the commercially organised ones.   I hope that it continues for many years and a big thank you to Paul Jones and all the team for their efforts and the invitation.

On a personal basis, the reaction to Green Ayre was very positive and many RMWen members introduced themselves over the weekend.We had a great time getting aprts of it to run for the first time and it gave the team a boopst to see it with all the buildings and other features that have been built so far to be shown.  I'm not sure of any toehr shows that are large enough to have given us the chance to do this and many visitors said that they enjoyed seeing how layouts were built.

Jamie

Sorry to hear of these issues, I'm really not sold on this "exhibiting at Warley" concept. I heard a while ago that there is an agreement in place preventing anyone else organising a Railway Modelling show at the NEC, perhaps it's time to let someone else have a go.

In the meantime, I shall be sending an e-mail to the NEC, complaining of the horrible lighting that would be better suited in a grit storage shed instead of a modelling show. It's several generations behind current large space lighting solutions, and its costing them more money to keep it than replace it outright. I didn't go to the show, but they don't know that....

The lightings that kind of generic warehouse sort, not really sure what the answer to that one is, but I do take your point. 

Well what a comment 298  "I didn't go to the show but they don't know that", Every year someone has a moan about lighting in the hall and every year it is pointed out that the lighting is not there to illuminate the stands. Whilst it is not high intensity it is more than adequate for gangways seating areas etc. Each layout should have its own lighting regardless which show it is attending. I have been privileged to have exhibited at the Warley Show for the last 8 years and have nothing but praise for their organisation, good humour and helpfulness and I am already looking forward to next year.. 

• RMweb Premium

See entry 223 above - is anyone else other than one modelling magazine daft enough to try and organise such a show......I doubt it! If you have "heard" something be sure it is from a reliable source before putting it out and about.  

The NEC are aware of the lighting - LEDs would make a big difference ... they may wait until the current units are life expired as with trade shows every stand is very well lit - teh hall lights are only really there for set up/break down. 

BarryO

• RMweb Premium

Yes, but that's no help to the traders. The mobile card readers dial directly into the banks' computers. They don't use the Internet. So it has to be a good 3G signal, or it won't work.

see Redgates models posting 228 above

• RMweb Gold

Despite the NEC security issues we had we still had a great time. It's our second time exhibiting and after hearing lots of horror stories beforehand we have found it much easier than expected. Yes the lighting is not brilliant but with the layout lighting we can live with it and at the weekend I bought a small desk mounted illuminated magnifier that will come in handy at other shows for fixing N scale stock putting springs back in Kadees etc!!!

It's such a huge job organising such a big show so many thanks for all the hard work organising it and look forward to next year's show.

• RMweb Gold

Well what a comment 298  "I didn't go to the show but they don't know that", Every year someone has a moan about lighting in the hall and every year it is pointed out that the lighting is not there to illuminate the stands. Whilst it is not high intensity it is more than adequate for gangways seating areas etc. Each layout should have its own lighting regardless which show it is attending. I have been privileged to have exhibited at the Warley Show for the last 8 years and have nothing but praise for their organisation, good humour and helpfulness and I am already looking forward to next year.. 

I was forearmed even for my humble little demo ;)

post-6717-0-27449800-1416833695_thumb.jpg

Blimey, who mentioned lighting...?

No matter what you do and what is or isn't lit, there is still the horrible colour cast it generates, no wonder you can't get near the layouts if it takes punters several minutes for their eyes to adjust, especially on a gloomy November day when there is little daylight coming in from outside.

We're back and back at work after a really good week-end wth The End of The Line. We were very kindly awarded Best 7mm Layout - even more surprising given the excellent modelling in abundance at the NEC...

A big thank you to Warley for the invite and the courteous hospitality throughout the frantic weekend. We found everyone extremely pleasant and helpful without exception.

But it's good to be home!

Giles

• RMweb Gold

The NEC is well known for the lighting and I've been as an exhibitor five times over about 10 years and always found it enjoyable. I agree it takes a while to adjust but I do the trade first and the layouts later once the eyes are ready for it ;) It's been discussed many times and some sort of lighting is really part of making a display to allow for strong sunlight in the wrong direction or poor hall lights.

• RMweb Premium

Considering the lack of scenic items of interest we have to say we were bowled over by the huge interest shown by show visitors.

Understandable, when I first caught a glimpse I thought "impressive size but a bit dull without anything else" then stood there watching them for quite some time. I love it if something ends up catching my interest that I wouldn't have thought I'd be bothered about (particularly considering how outright cynical I usually am!)

It sounds like you may have thought that it was a risk going but I'm glad that it also sounds like one that was worth taking and I look forward to seeing these again in the future.

• RMweb Premium

We're back and back at work after a really good week-end wth The End of The Line. We were very kindly awarded Best 7mm Layout - even more surprising given the excellent modelling in abundance at the NEC...

A variety of different things moving on a small layout, a bit of railway being part of a whole lot more perhaps? Can't speak for the people giving the awards but the lorry was very impressive.

Blimey, who mentioned lighting...?

No matter what you do and what is or isn't lit, there is still the horrible colour cast it generates, no wonder you can't get near the layouts if it takes punters several minutes for their eyes to adjust, especially on a gloomy November day when there is little daylight coming in from outside.

Actually you did and then went on to say that you didn't attend.

Must admit I did not have a problem with the lighting in the hall you could clearly see your way round and all the layouts were easily viewed and I found the Warley staff very helpful when I asked a question .Its the way you talk to people that gets the best results be reasonable even if annoyed and people will respond positevly.One last point thanks for all the seating areas it makes a visit a lot easy .

• RMweb Gold

Good point well made. I mentally prepared myself for the security hassles, expecting to have to jump through hoops etc to get near to the hall to unload my kit. It took 20 minutes on Saturday morning from arriving at the NEC to parking up next to door 5.7 .....

I made sure I read and reread the exhibitor's manual so I was aware of which hoops were required and at what time. Getting out of the public car park on the Saturday evening was the worst though, too 25 minutes. Lesson learned, I got up early Sunday morning and parked up before 7:30 and got practically pole position ready for the evening off. My getaway was only beaten by Mr Hamilton that day :lol:

This thread seems in acute danger of replicating the 'Announcements' thread elsewhere, so I'm going to be deeply unfashionable  If anyone thinks baby trains aficionados are a strangely attired bunch, then there was stiff competition from the frankly ludicrous sci-fi herd attending the Comics Show.  I heard one young woman bought a £140 fancy dress simply to attend this event.  Truly head-shaking stuff.  

There did seem to be an awful lot of young ladies in slightly skimpy cosplay outfits on the trains to and from the NEC. (there may have also been some blokes in fancy dress as well, but I probably didn't notice them....)

• RMweb Gold

I thought the lighting was ok. I thought getting in and out was well run, virtually no queue at the cash window apart from someone in front of me wanting to go to a motorbike show (hope he doesn't ride one if his reading is that bad).  The show is big - which has its up-sides and its down-sides and I can never get my head round the stand numbering but i usually (eventually) find what I'm looking for.

Moans - only two and one not at all to do with the Warley club, the state of the toilets which seem to quickly degenerate despite several NEC staff being on hand to try, I presume, to achieve some cleaning but not including the floor perhaps?  

The other moan concerns mobility scooters where in several instances I noticed people in charge of them who appeared to have a limited understanding of how the controls worked with various stops, starts, and reversals in no particular order. I can understand that these folk area as keen as anyone else to visit the show and they are trying to make their way among seetihing masses of pedestrians which must be very trying, but please try to get a good idea of teh controls before you get into such crowded and confined situations.

Good show and I enjoyed it more than on many previous visits.

Archived