Deltic Class 55 Photos

On the one hand I have never heard of their oil consumption being considered excessive, but on the other it is normal for the oil carry over to be sufficient to dribble down the sides of the body from the exhaust port, so it can hardly have been low either!

It is because they are two strokes designed to run at far higher power output than in Class 55. The clearances between piston and cylinder allow for this, which means that at tickover there is more clearance than might be found on other engines. And since the pistons move over and seal the inlet/exhaust ports, this results in more lube oil being able to find its way in to the cylinders/exhaust than would be the case otherwise. The end result being that the oil accumilated during idling gets burnt off when full power is applied. Once the engines have been running at full power for fifteen minutes or so and burnt off all the oil, they do run quite clear - just a little blue haze which can be less dense than the black smoke you might get from any other diesel working flat out. Just look at any video showing a Deltic at 100mph and you will see what I mean!

One of my big regrets is that I never photographed a Deltic on the bufferstops at Kings Cross when they had been standing for an hour between turns and they started up with plumes of white clag and that characteristic clattering noise. Did anyone? If you have such a photo, please share it with us!

Here's a Deltic leaving York seen from the Holgate footbridge where the spotters sat on the signal gantry!

21756969.858c628f.jpg
  • Like 4

Not wishing to burst your bubble but did you know that we already have a Class 55 thread under Special Interests where you can find lots of photos of Deltics.

Cheers

Ian

I searched that area for Deltics and although there are subthreads in the Class 55 group with photos of Deltics in them there is no thread solely devoted to photos of Deltics unless I missed something?

Hi Pinza,

I take your point about the photos but you could have started a thread dedicated to just photos on the Class 55 site and that way maybe all us Deltic fans wouldn't miss your  your excellent thread. I came across it by luck as I was trawling through all the different threads here on Rmweb.

Please keep up what you've started its great reading. 

Ian

Hi Pinza,

I take your point about the photos but you could have started a thread dedicated to just photos on the Class 55 site and that way maybe all us Deltic fans wouldn't miss your  your excellent thread. I came across it by luck as I was trawling through all the different threads here on Rmweb.

Please keep up what you've started its great reading. 

Ian

Hi Ian, the other reason why I didn't post there is that is that there is very little activity on that group so if you go to the 6th thread the last post was 6 months ago and after that many of the threads are 2 years old. Seeing as you are in Scarborough here is a treat from 29.8.1981 when I had 55013 to Scarborough and back. The only bad point was that 55009 passed me at Seamer on the way from Filey! Happy days  :sungum:

17233491.78e764c7.jpg
55013 at Scarborough par PinzaC55, on ipernity

• Like 7

55014 Scarborough 1981

post-4401-0-68078200-1398928133_thumb.jpg

At this time we here in Scarborough were extremely lucky as through the summer we had quite a few Deltics visiting. I well remember going up to the station around 7am on a Saturday and seeing two or three arriving and departing. It turns out the reason was down to the despatcher at York who was a Scarborough man who'd back in the 1960's worked at Scarborough shed doing the same job with steam.

Ian

• Like 6

Has anyone got photos of 55016 at Exeter St Davids on 28/11/81?   I was there and my camera jammed, film snapped and that was that!  Still remember the sound as it went up to Exeter Central though, fantastic.

What a great thread!

I only wish I had some pictures to contribute but alas, I was not allowed as far as York, (or Scarborough), in 1981. Talking of Scarborough, the shots there are super.

I'm willing to bet no-one has a shot of a Deltic in my home town of Bridlington?

Cheers.

Sean.

What a great thread!

I only wish I had some pictures to contribute but alas, I was not allowed as far as York, (or Scarborough), in 1981. Talking of Scarborough, the shots there are super.

I'm willing to bet no-one has a shot of a Deltic in my home town of Bridlington?

Cheers.

Sean.

Not one of my own but due to the power of the Internet  http://homepage.ntlworld.com/theblackwatch/gallery39.htm

I also found this clip of the same tour but only at York  

If you watch this clip give the guy a thumbs up for his efforts - its not me BTW I couldn't afford a video camera in those days ! Edited by PinzaC55
  • Like 2

My last ride on a Deltic was light engine from KX to FP. a few of us drivers from Waterloo wanted  a last Deltic bash, so we went "route learning"... Luckily I knew the KX driver and he let 6 of us in the cab! :sungum: