Deltic Class 55 Photos

this thread is going to get me digging though my boxes as i a fair few pics of Deltics around york and on transpenines around greenfield and diggle 

but the one i want to find the most is the pic of KOYLI running into Stalybridge eastbound for the lastime ever on the thursday before the last weekend of running . the previous weekend had seen the official last trans pennine working complete with headboards etc was lucky enough to be on way to stockport on the dodger to work as a trb and had my camera with me 

For me it has got to be green,Clarence Yard always tried to turn them out well in the 60,s when i was working on them out of Kings Cross.

They always instilled in you the feeling of great power even stood still! and that lovely high seating position.

I remember they sounded at their best as they came to the top of Holloway Bank. 

One day while waiting to depart K.X on a northbound we had an inquisitive chap on the bottom of platform 8,who asked if he could look in to the cab my driver said ok 5 mins to go,turned out the guy was a fast jet jockey from a RAF base in Lincolnshire,as we came up to time my driver said if you fancy a cab ride just duck down! the pilot realy enjoyed the trip but declared that a ton up ride was quite an experiance,especialy as the speed limit around the Offard curves had just been raised from 70 to the 100?(it had considerable super elevation, he felt his jet was safer!

But going into the engine room to shut down the train heat boiler at about Wood Green southbound was a very noisy experience even though you were coasting in at 70mph with the engines on idle.

We used to feel sorry for the people who's houses backed onto the Clarence Yard fuel sidings, usually on nights the deltics would be loose coupled, engines off, to another loco if they were required to be moved.

Happy all be it noisy days!

Don.

• Like 3

For me it has got to be green,Clarence Yard always tried to turn them out well in the 60,s when i was working on them out of Kings Cross.

They always instilled in you the feeling of great power even stood still! and that lovely high seating position.

I remember they sounded at their best as they came to the top of Holloway Bank. 

One day while waiting to depart K.X on a northbound we had an inquisitive chap on the bottom of platform 8,who asked if he could look in to the cab my driver said ok 5 mins to go,turned out the guy was a fast jet jockey from a RAF base in Lincolnshire,as we came up to time my driver said if you fancy a cab ride just duck down! the pilot realy enjoyed the trip but declared that a ton up ride was quite an experiance,especialy as the speed limit around the Offard curves had just been raised from 70 to the 100?(it had considerable super elevation, he felt his jet was safer!

But going into the engine room to shut down the train heat boiler at about Wood Green southbound was a very noisy experience even though you were coasting in at 70mph with the engines on idle.

We used to feel sorry for the people who's houses backed onto the Clarence Yard fuel sidings, usually on nights the deltics would be loose coupled, engines off, to another loco if they were required to be moved.

Happy all be it noisy days!

Don.

My trick to shut down the boiler coming south into Kings Cross was to look at the steam pressure going through the train a Potters Bar. Depending on how it was looking depended on where I did the following. Push in the emergency shut down button and then let the steam pressure die down. When it got to around 0-5psi, pull out the emergency shut down. The boiler light would come up bright as the boiler would have a low water level. Let the water build back up in the boiler, and as soon as the boiler light in the cab went dim, push the emergency shut down back in to stop the boiler firing up. When you came to a stand in the Cross and the engines where shut down, go in and shut down the main steam valve and then switch the boiler off. No steam in the boiler and full of water ready to fire up when required. Saved you going into the engine room with the engines running, but frowned upon by management because you didn't blow the Mowbrey float switches down. Saved going in the engine room, which I had to do a few times to deal with errant boilers, and on at least one occasion pump water from the boiler water tank into the engine cooling system. Always went in there with some trepidation, especially if the engines where going full belt.

Paul J.

One day while waiting to depart K.X on a northbound we had an inquisitive chap on the bottom of platform 8,who asked if he could look in to the cab my driver said ok 5 mins to go,turned out the guy was a fast jet jockey from a RAF base in Lincolnshire

I'd like to think that when he got home he strapped on another species of twin-engined EE heavy metal !

The Nim.

• 1 month later...

A couple of mine from the 70's.

First off is from a visit to Edinburgh and 55012 'Crepello' awaiting departure on the southbound (1E20) working of the 'Silver Jubilee'. I can't remember the actual date, but the loco was quite 'bulled-up' with white tyre rims I do remember, as well as the board at the entry to the platform proclaiming the 'Silver Jubilee'. The excellent Napier Chronicles website says that number 12 only ran the southbound on 29th Jul 1977 - so I guess that must be the date. Other people have mentioned the music of the time on this thread - for some reason ELO's 'Telephone Line' comes to mind...

Crepello55012-1E20-EdinburghJul1977.jpg.e04d1a39e63ac4083ed4dac5c5bd39e5.jpg

The next 2 are both taken on the same day: 55007 Pinza - the first one I saw - I was drinking tea in the buffet and wondered why the cup was shaking... - rushed outside and behold!:

Pinza-EdinburghJul1977.jpg.816320c85f794fff67d962e206c06abb.jpg

Later on, I took a walk to Princes St Gardens - unfortunately, the identity of this one has gone unrecorded - are there any clues?:

unknown1-EdinburghJul1977.jpg.3972fd7af3335766b9c2877a32dbc61c.jpg

The final shot was taken on 12th August 1979 - I know that, as I was on my way home from the (final) Led Zeppelin concert at Knebworth the previous night. The loco is 55003 'Meld' awaiting a southbound departure at Peterborough - white window surrounds to the fore...

Meld55003-PeterboroAug12-1979.jpg.5b857ff9d37c5ba423eaa709017a4aeb.jpg

Hope that they are of interest, even if their quality is suspect...

Edited by billy_anorak59
  • Like 8

55012 1405 Kings Cross - York New Barnet 2nd May 1981 

attachicon.gif55012.jpg

Kings Cross train crew, Dia 153. 13.48 on. See below

post-7146-0-27437700-1472743883_thumb.jpg

Not me on that day. I was Annual Leave. It was a nice mainline turn for a Drivers Assistant in the daytime, as opposed to the overnight runs, that made up the bulk of the mainline turns in my day.

Paul J.

• Like 1

Kings Cross train crew, Dia 153. 13.48 on. See below

attachicon.gifKX 153 dia.jpg

Not me on that day. I was Annual Leave. It was a nice mainline turn for a Drivers Assistant in the daytime, as opposed to the overnight runs, that made up the bulk of the mainline turns in my day.

Paul J.

Despite having spent the best part of my time as a secondman ay the (mighty) Old Oak Common, I must admit I often wondered what life would've been like had I started earlier and moved to KX.... one of my biggest regrets as a youth is not spending more time around the Deltics, but you can't be in two places at once can you...!

• RMweb Premium

Later on, I took a walk to Princes St Gardens - unfortunately, the identity of this one has gone unrecorded - are there any clues?:

attachicon.gifunknown1-EdinburghJul1977.jpg

Those unpainted window surrounds was typical of HA allocated locos. Is that the makings of a dent to the left of the central headboard clip? If so it may well be 55006 - the dent is just about visible in this photo https://www.flickr.com/photos/86020500@N06/7979378726

Those unpainted window surrounds was typical of HA allocated locos. Is that the makings of a dent to the left of the central headboard clip? If so it may well be 55006 - the dent is just about visible in this photo https://www.flickr.com/photos/86020500@N06/7979378726

Many thanks for the reply brushman - and I admire your sleuthing skills! I think you could very well be right, Thanks!

(shame it wasn't 55017 though - the only one I never saw)

Mmmmm

Not to sure about the ETH below the buffers though.

They still carried ETH with pre tops numbers.

Many were painted blue before ETH was fitted, see below:

Another oldie...

index.php?app=core&module=attach&section

Not only do you have blue with no ETH, but it is picking up water for the boiler from the water troughs, which must make this a very rare shot! Looks like it might be D9019 if I am not mistaken.

• Like 2

Shirley "Unknown with a northbound non stop" is D9000, Royal Scots Grey"?

The crest above the single line nameplate and the plate around the footstep on the lower nose where the early headlight was give it away to me.

Loving the photos in this and all the threads!