Doxey End - Walls and Bridges

Anotheran

Neil

Great to hear that your mum is at home and feeling a bit better even if there were some problems along the way.

From experience, the cause of a vertigo episode is sometimes not found. Hopefully there won't be another one.

Also glad to hear your Mum is home again.  Wishing her all the best for a rapid return to full mobility.

I thought your reply was interesting  ...  I hadn't considered using more than one supply type   ...   perfectly feasible too, when a nice chap comes along and puts it in a Post  ...   Thanks Neil

A teacher at a school I taught at years ago got vertigo and came into school with a zimmer frame for quite a while, but it gradually went away.  She never found the cause either, but it didn't re-occur, fortunately.

• RMweb Gold

Neil,

Vertigo, oh dear.  It can be caused by a virus which can then disappear, or it may leave permanent damage.  Either way hopefully if the drugs have not affected her liver then she should make a full recovery.

As she is getting better she may look and seem ok but could still feel awful, even if she is not feeling sick.  I wish you all well.

• RMweb Gold

Some movement at last on DE... or at least something that will assist movement in the future!

The current plan calls for two electromagnetic decouplers. While I toyed for a short while on making my own assembly around some cheap electromagnets I decided that with only two to do I'd splash out on two of the real Kadee ones. But I didn't want to fit the as per the instructions with a large hole in the board and the assembly supported only by screws into the sleepers. So I'm following Dave "kipford's" approach on his Brighton East layout (http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/16217-brighton-east-em-third-rail/&do=findComment&comment=152684) which he says he in turn copied form elsewhere... isn't RMWeb great!

In summary, if you don't want to follow the link, the assembly is fixed to a base plate, that is the same depth as the cork underlay (other underlay materials are available). It is then attached to the top of the board under the sleepers (the appropriate underlay being cut away). I've built the assembly, but not yet cut into the board, so that will be for a later post. But this one deals with my first, and second build... the second being still for the first installation as I wasn't happy with the first.

I started by missing the "lite" in "lite ply" on Dave's post! So I started with standard 3 mm ply. After much slow and painful work with knife and hacksaw I had this...

IMG_3355.JPG.b5727ca82780ffeeecf5206c92d9426c.JPG

This sort of looks ok, and I put the electromagnet assembly into place in it...

IMG_3356.JPG.45421a1893e345af84b522297eb0d5cc.JPG

IMG_3357.JPG.eba729626e3e82ce8cd04cb5a33fe98d.JPG

Unfortunately this has a couple of problems. The first is that it's a b*gger to make. The second is that the slots are across the two cheek plates on each side. Which means when in place ballast can drop down into the slots. Not a disaster, but not what I wanted, and when I referred again to Dave's thread, not what he had either!

So attempt two used 3 mm hardboard with slots cut in using a grinding wheel on the Dremmel.

IMG_3358.JPG.a8170b75a627c335a6a0cd6cf31bca28.JPG

IMG_3360.JPG.b5404b263b2e526d16536f648057c050.JPG

IMG_3361.JPG.60198c5411a53387262d8e9c1b60b0a3.JPG

IMG_3362.JPG.6c9c10bb2adbc40febdd42db23216415.JPG

IMG_3363.JPG.da41f9f87346597f251a928c6bb7a578.JPG

A lesson was learned here... don't do this in the home office! The smell of scorched hardboard from the abrasive wheel is very distinct and not easy to get rid of when you don't want the windows open wide in the middle of November!

But the end result was a much neater fit for the electromagnet.

IMG_3364.JPG.9662baa76b2271bc92cf94479ebe3230.JPG

IMG_3365.JPG.49523eaba58f0c96fdcddcfb795fcf7e.JPG

This (once epoxied together) will give a much more solid unit with a sealed upper surface onto which the tracks can be placed and ballast will sit on while still allowing the magnet itself to be removed from under the board should it fail.

The only slight negative is that the 3 mm hardboard is not exactly the same depth as the 3 mm cork! So when in place it sits slightly proud of the surrounding cork underlay. I'll take account of this when gluing it together (by making sure the metal plates aren't right to the surface) so that I can sand down the surface of the hardboard to the level of the ply.

I'm back in London for a couple of days, but will be mounting into the board at the weekend and laying track over the top. So if I've not bored you yet, watch this space!

Edited by Anotheran
Adding back images lost by site change
  • Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Hi Neil,

Very interesting stuff mate. I don't know how I've missed this BTW!

The lads over here laminate plastic card and strip to fit around those electromagnets and finish off with paper to hide the lot! Thought you might like that idea to help alleviate nasty niffs!

Regards Shaun

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Very interesting stuff mate. I don't know how I've missed this BTW!

The lads over here laminate plastic card and strip to fit around those electromagnets and finish off with paper to hide the lot! Thought you might like that idea to help alleviate nasty niffs!

Thanks for the suggestion Shaun, and for the raft of likes! It's great to see you on here as I find your modelling very much an inspiration. Though I am going at a much slower pace than you generally seem to be able to sustain! At least that means there's not as much to catch up on in this thread as in some that I could mention!

I did think about sticking some bits of plastic together around the electromagnets, but I went down the route I did to a degree because I thought it would be quicker (lazy you could say!). I normally do such work in the garage, or even outside if it's a nice day, as I like the fresh air, and niffs are then not a problem. But this time I was even more lazy than my normal self and decided I wouldn't even bother going downstairs and did it in the office... I won't do that again, but I do like the result, so I'll do the second mount in the same way.

Kind regards, Neil

Edited by Anotheran
  • Like 4

• RMweb Gold

How deep under the Base-board does that electromagnet go?

I have the impression that it is quite a sizable component, but I may have got the wrong impression

Hi Julian,

From the top of the "cheek" plates (which are against the underside of the sleepers) to the lowest point of the coil is a fraction over 45 mm. My baseboard is 9 mm ply and I'm using a 3 mm cork layer (and the same depth hardboard for the mount I've fashioned here) So on my baseboard the lowest point of the coil is less than 34 mm below the underside of the ply. It looks bigger in the photos than it really is.

I guess it would have been helpful if I had stated that my hardboard baseplate is 70 x 36 mm.

Regards, Neil

• Like 3

Hi Neil,

That seems to be quite a lot smaller than the impression the Kadee pictures give.  I confess, I was looking around for other ideas because of that.  Your pictures and information make the whole thing worth another look.

Many thanks for the new perspective.   .......     :good:

Regards 

Julian

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Well there's not been much modelling going on on my end. But I've not been devoid of doing something related. Aside from keeping up to date on all of the threads I'm following I also went to Warley at the weekend. I've posted some pictures on specific layout threads, and a selection on AV (as the layouts concerned will get far more coverage there than they would here) but at Jaz's suggestion I'll also post here. However, I'm not just going to replicate my post, or I'll bore the few of you that read this as you probably also read AV. I'm going to describe some of the specific pointers that I've picked up from the different layouts.

This coming weekend I'll have the pleasure to meet up with Mr Andy P at the Gresley and Wychnor open weekend in Swad where I'm taking my nephew along. So maybe next week I'll post some photos of Mr P in action! Note that is "in action" not "inaction".

But for now... Warley...

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

First off we have Melrose End. I love this layout for the detailed work everywhere you look. Much of it is scratch built, but the signal box shows that you can take an off the shelf product and use it if it fits... and it certainly does.

IMG_3391.JPG.d18fe33166ed5e9e31c46c6e893d596c.JPG

IMG_3392.JPG.42f96c92f970b1adce847785a0824207.JPG

The precise detail on the wagon loads to me is fantastic. Each piece of a load subtlety different but with an overall consistency that looks just right. And the mix of goods adds to the fascination of the scene.

IMG_3395.JPG.b248b40e8cdbe72421e81556e039ca31.JPG

One thing I do note on this layout is the fact that there are very few people. There are a few dotted about, but none of them in action poses. So there are enough to help set the scene and the era, but none that would make it look odd in a video by holding a frozen pose while the trains move past. I want people in my scenes, but will strive to make them look like they are just standing still naturally, rather than posing for a photo.

Edited by Anotheran
  • Like 8

• RMweb Gold

OK, so I'm Welsh, and a Welsh layout has some innate appeal to that inner dragon, but I'm sure most people would think that Raven's Rock is special. You start off by looking at a lump of grey and green that you could easily walk past, but if you get the chance... take a closer look.

IMG_3413.JPG.9fd2db60ba632f5a96663ac0c47ccf2d.JPG

As in real life it's fairly grey. In fact, very grey. But it contains a wealth of detail that draws the eye in as you spot it. The locos and trucks are exquisitely modelled together with their loads and trundle slowly along past the imposing face. The realism of the slate scree is impressive, probably because it's slate chippings, so looks very like bits of slate! Though I'd imagine that it adds a fair amount to the overall weight of the layout!

IMG_3416.JPG.b38ff2ab6daf472ae898e72432610804.JPG

The incline works, with the cars running up and down carrying their loads from the upper levels of the quarry. It wasn't until I got home and took a look at the pictures that I realised I should have asked how that shed and incline were built. I guess it could have been scribed, but to me it looks like it was build stone by stone. However it was done the detail of the stonework, planking and slate tiles is incredible. Admittedly this is 7 mm narrow gauge so it's slightly easier to get small details than in 4 mm, but it's quite magical to behold.

IMG_3417.JPG.6a4f7d3201ce141f9d5332b7cfda6281.JPG

Finally a shot of some more detail. There's so much work in a small area that really could be missed as there's a very limited palette in play. But it really does draw you in. The ratio of track to layout is very small. Indeed, there's not much in the way of operational scope for trains. But as a model that makes a wonderful scene that you can stand and look at for some time, even if nothing moves, as you keep spotting something new.

IMG_3419.JPG.7c133966d8f423effb69f9c6abf6c504.JPG

Do you get the idea that I like this one... and not just because it's Wales!

More later, as I really need to get back to work from my late lunch!

Edited by Anotheran
  • Like 12

• RMweb Gold

Another Welsh narrow gauge, this time Clydach. What I like most about this one is the very good blending of the three dimensional scenic work into the backdrop. It works well going from the green areas into the hills but is particularly effective in the village area with full models and low profile blending extremely well into the picture (which is actually of Mevagissey!). The water is also some of the best that I have seen.

IMG_3423.JPG.0fecba902ec300232f9eda05a892872e.JPG

IMG_3425.JPG.6d172eee022081f7022eece61ecb8a54.JPG

And the beach scene... a lot of fun, but extremely well executed. The beach huts being cut down commercial shed offerings. I think they said Ratio, but am not sure... I should have written it down!

IMG_3428.JPG.0ac8c782b6e7702dd4376fe7a7657571.JPG

Once again there are lots of little scenes that draw the eye in. A lot more people here than I would look to put on a layout, but it all fits here really well. Even the fact that with a seaside theme you can't get away from frozen waves is hardly noticeable as there's so much else going on that your eye is continually drawn away and the brain puts the wave movement in for you.

Edited by Anotheran
  • Like 8

• RMweb Gold

I posted both of these pictures below on AV, but what really inspired me about Chalon sur Saône was the way in which the layout had been built so close to prototype. The real environment is big, so even in N gauge the layout is pretty big. I'm not planning anything so large, but I hope that I can get somewhere near as close to prototype when I get going on Newcastle Emlyn.

IMG_3437.JPG.6b4b49a2b3fd86d3ae3da2e138084b0a.JPG

IMG_3438.JPG.fee705993e1879cd816a17474f836399.JPG

Now in a show you have to keep some movement going for the punters, but if that was me I'd want to have the layout with replicas of the trains on the prototype photo just to show how close it is! I only wish I could have got in closer to the angle of the prototype photo as I'm pretty sure that anyone would be hard pushed to find a leaf out of place!

Edited by Anotheran
  • Like 9

• RMweb Gold

Now Alloa is special. I could point out signals, trees, fencing, ballasting, telegraph poles, immaculate track-work, some great little cameos, weathering on the buildings, scrubland bushes on worn grass banks... the list goes on. But what struck me most? Point rodding! I'd already decided I wanted to follow along with what Ray (tender) had done so brilliantly in that direction on Camel Quay, but seeing some done so well in real life and up close has settled it for me. I've left the first picture, which shows the rodding, at a higher resolution than normal so you can click on it to see the detail more closely to see what I'm talking about. But I think the others are worth taking a look at too!

IMG_3450.thumb.JPG.8b351381df6174d4eafaf8f712a8e7b6.JPG

IMG_3451.JPG.c4db30e906e32390c94156b7c3db88c0.JPG

IMG_3452.JPG.57d88958b966cff54dacf98870919d94.JPG

IMG_3453.JPG.6d79b22f8d446de2b6eb7e6bf1daf539.JPG

IMG_3454.JPG.49712889a5b246cd8c48be9c7f9e8ec7.JPG

IMG_3455.JPG.77bb8bdc2a75c1d68eb573b04bfefaf3.JPG

That's all for now. But you can see, I picked up a lot this weekend at Warley. So it very much made the usual scrum worthwhile.

Edited by Anotheran
  • Like 11

Sorry Neil for the rash of likes - not looked in for a few days as you've been understandably quiet with dramas beyond your control. What a lot of breathtaking modelling you've recorded and now I'll have to go over to AV and catch up there but that is for later in the day! Thanks for sharing the images, I'm sure I shall return several times for more inspiration!

Kind regards,

Jock.

• RMweb Gold

Sorry Neil for the rash of likes

Hi Jock,

Good to hear from you. No need to apologise for a lot of likes! If it had been a rash of disagree or indecipherable, or even funny, then I may have been more concerned!

It was really the first time I'd gone to Warley with the specific target of picking up ideas that I could directly relate to my modelling, rather than just browsing the layouts. As a result I think I had a much more enjoyable time than I have had on previous visits. I had almost decided not to go because of the expected scrum (particularly as I would need to rush home for the other scrum between Wales and the All Blacks in the evening!) but very glad that I did in the end.

Kind rergards, Neil

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

So what's the hold up? I keep asking myself.

It's been almost a month since I did any modelling for myself (though I did spend a couple of hours with Aidan on his baseboard)... one weekend was Warley and the next was Swad, and now it's Sweden (well actually just shelves from Sweden) that have got in the way. However, I have a plan. I am free from work for two weeks over Christmas, and less than half of those days are currently spoken for... so I must be able to get some modelling time from that... surely.

So I have a plan of attack for the Christmas week...

1. Sand down the mounting plate on the first electromagnet and fit it - 1 hour
  2. Complete the second electromagnet mount and fit them - 3 hours
  3. Cut down the last two points (loco release) - 1 hour
  4. Remove the webbing and excess sleepers from the four remaining lengths of scenic section flexi-track - 1 hour
  5. Lay the remaining scenic section track (the two points and four lengths of flexi) - 1 hour plus setting time
  6. Complete the basic track wiring (no relays yet) - 2 hours
  7. Spray the track and clean the top surface - 1 hour plus drying time
  8. Pin temporary track into cassette fiddle area - 10 mins
  9. Play some trains!

That's ten hours, so let's call it 20 as I always under-estimate, which will be a push to complete in the time. But by putting it down here I'm setting myself a target. At that point I can run the 37 around, but nothing that won't cope with the dead frogs. But at least the top will be ready for the beginning of scenics and the underside will be ready for the servos to be added one by one.

I'll keep anyone who is still awake after Christmas dinner up to date on progress :)

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

So what's the hold up? I keep asking myself.

It's been almost a month since I did any modelling for myself (though I did spend a couple of hours with Aidan on his baseboard)... one weekend was Warley and the next was Swad, and now it's Sweden (well actually just shelves from Sweden) that have got in the way. However, I have a plan. I am free from work for two weeks over Christmas, and less than half of those days are currently spoken for... so I must be able to get some modelling time from that... surely.

So I have a plan of attack for the Christmas week...

1. Sand down the mounting plate on the first electromagnet and fit it - 1 hour
  2. Complete the second electromagnet mount and fit them - 3 hours
  3. Cut down the last two points (loco release) - 1 hour
  4. Remove the webbing and excess sleepers from the four remaining lengths of scenic section flexi-track - 1 hour
  5. Lay the remaining scenic section track (the two points and four lengths of flexi) - 1 hour plus setting time
  6. Complete the basic track wiring (no relays yet) - 2 hours
  7. Spray the track and clean the top surface - 1 hour plus drying time
  8. Pin temporary track into cassette fiddle area - 10 mins
  9. Play some trains!

That's ten hours, so let's call it 20 as I always under-estimate, which will be a push to complete in the time. But by putting it down here I'm setting myself a target. At that point I can run the 37 around, but nothing that won't cope with the dead frogs. But at least the top will be ready for the beginning of scenics and the underside will be ready for the servos to be added one by one.

I'll keep anyone who is still awake after Christmas dinner up to date on progress :)

Neil,

I love your list, and very wise to double the time.  Believe it or not I do lists as well, but life seems to get in the way.  Have fun anyway, and have a good Christmas, and I hope your mum is feeling better.

Hi Neil,

My PC is not doing *replies* just now, so this is for 171.

Even small modern locos can be fine on dead-frogs. I've a Bachmann 03 that positively crawls over them on *DC. Interestingly, because it has a bright cab-light, it's a good current tester.

All the Best - Tony.

*It stalls on DCC though.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Even small modern locos can be fine on dead-frogs. I've a Bachmann 03 that positively crawls over them on *DC.

Hi Tony,

Agreed, though DE has a formation of points in the middle that means that dead frogs link together over a significant length, which means that my 0-6-0, which happily runs across most of them can only make it across with a bit of a run up! Hence me using the 37 so much.

Regards, Neil

• RMweb Gold

have a good Christmas, and I hope your mum is feeling better.

Hi Neil, Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to you and all your Family, including young Aidan.

Thanks Chris. Mum is doing a lot better thanks. Still rather short of energy after a difficult couple of months, but a lot better than she was.

Andy, I passed on your message to Aidan. He said thanks and Merry Christmas to you.

I wish both of you a merry, but hopefully relaxing, Christmas. And a happy and healthy new year.

Kind regards, Neil

• Like 1