Doxey End - Walls and Bridges

Anotheran

• RMweb Gold

My concept for Doxey End is simple.  I want an operational layout, small in size, that will provide a test bed for electrical, scenic and logistical techniques that I can then use on my main layout, Newcastle Emlyn. While I have already started a thread for NE, this layout, DE, will be built ahead. I may start NE before DE is complete, but I won't be experimenting with techniques on DE… or at least that is the plan. I'm creating this thread for a couple of reasons. Firstly, to document what I am doing and secondly to allow anyone who is interested a chance to comment and give me ideas. Who knows, someone may even take some ideas from me!

Index to the following pages giving page and post number:

Requirements - Detail: 1/2 - complete
Planning - Concept and first plan: 1/3 - complete
Planning - Full size print: 1/11 - complete
Planning - Visible siding changes: 1/12-15 - complete
Planning - Buildings: 1/16-2/26
Scenics - Buildings - Scalescenes warehouse: 2/37-38, 43, 49
Construction - Baseboards: 2/41, 49 - complete
Planning - Trial fit: 2/50-3/52 - complete
Planning - Decouplers: 6/136 - complete
Construction - Cork underlay: 3/53 - complete
Construction - Track laying: 3/57, 69, 71-73, 75, 4/94, 8/182, 192 - complete
Scenics - Permanent way - Cosmetic sleepers: 8/184, 9/219 - complete
Construction - Track laying - boards joins: 5/123 - complete
Peco track modification - Points to reduce gap between lines: 3/61, 70, 4/77, 86 - complete
Peco track modification - Increase in sleeper gaps: 3/74 - complete
Construction - Wiring - diagrams: 4/98
Construction - Electronics - MERG relay mounts: 4/99, 5/108-110
Construction - Wiring - traction power: 5/113-114, 6/136
Videos - First runs under power: 5/115 - complete
Planning - Sector switching: 6/137, 7/151
Construction - Electromagnet mounts: 7/155-159, 8/185 - complete
Inspiration - Warely 2014: 7/161-166 - complete
Construction - Cassettes: 8/183, 197-198
Scenics - Buildings - Ratio coaling stage kit: 8/193, 195
Scenics - Buildings - Ratio cattle dock kit: 9/202-204, 207, 210, 221
Construction - Electronics - MERG point servo mounts: 9/205, 211
Scenics - Trackway - Ballasting: 9/220, 10/248
Testing - Neodymium decoupling magnets: 10/235, 242, 247
Construction - Neodymium decoupling magnets: 10/248
Scenics - Buildings - Ratio signal box: 11/260
Scenics - Structures - High street: 11/260
Scenics - Structures - Skew bridge: 11/260

Edited by Anotheran
  • Like 3

• RMweb Gold

This layout is not intended to be prototypical, unlike DE. The main reason for this is simply that I want to try lots of stuff out in a small space. It also means I can run anything I want in the ay of rolling stock on it!

The key structural elements that I want to get in are:

• Modifying Peco points, a la Grantham, for closer main line spacing
  • Cassette based fiddle yard
  • Goods and platform area with suitable run-around loops and headshunt
  • A section of the layout can be used as an Inglenook shunting puzzle (with appropriate red flags to restrict road length)

The main electrical elements I want to include are:

• Parts of layout switchable between DCC and DC using relays
  • MERG CBUS for layout control (as in points, signals, mimic panels, power switching etc)
  • Servo driven points and signals
  • Part of layout switchable to MERG ATC shuttle operation

The main scenic elements I want to include are:

• Small station platform and building with a bit of road space next to it
  • Plenty of track to ballast with mainline and sidings to different ballast types
  • Goods shed and cattle dock
  • Some water, probably a canal as then I can put a barge on it!
  • At least one tree with some grass area and fencing
  • Signal box and appropriate signal rodding

All this to fit on a layout made of two boards each 4' x 1' including the fiddle area. As I have said, this layout is for testing out lots of techniques (as well as providing some operational fun.) Hence me not looking to make it prototypical!

Edited by Anotheran
  • Like 5

• RMweb Gold

So this is what I have come up with. Firstly in scenic view:

2110250091_140611A-Viewing.png.6b1aaaa395959c78cb6a33462048ebce.png

Then in a mimic format which is easier to explain what will be able to do what:

873815070_140611A-Mimic.png.857a7b464c76d507eb72aa6866723ccf.png

The main points to note are:

• The whole layout can be run DCC or automatic shuttle mode, or split with half automatic and the remaining part DCC.
  • Various sections will be switchable using relays to ATC shuttle operations. There will be two ATC set-ups so two lots of shuttles can run one at the top and one at the bottom in the following configurations. At the tope of the layout the shuttle can be set up as 2 ends to 1 end using blue, or can run 3 ends to 1 end using blue and pink. At the bottom of the layout it can run 2 ends to 1 end using red, yellow and  purple (or red and orange) and 2 ends to 2 ends using red, orange and purple.
  • Blue and pink, suitably restricted with red flags, can be used as an Inglenook shunting puzzle
  • The headshunt, where the crane is also situated,  can take a tank loco plus 3 wagons, and while they are fairly crammed together there is both a goods shed and a cattle dock!
  • The scenic break is a viaduct carrying a canal over the tracks (my water!)
  • The fiddle area has 3 cassette roads and two static storage sidings
  • The platform and loco release roads are 45 mm apart with modified Peco points to fit. The goods road and loco release roads are the standard Peco 50 mm apart to allow the goods shed to fit more easily.

More to follow as I start cutting boards for this one!

Regards, Neil

Edited by Anotheran
Adding back images lost by site change
  • Like 7

• RMweb Gold

And what a wonderful start! I managed to triple post the original topic as the site was responding so slowly! I've added a response to the other two to say not to post there, but here instead. but I hope that it won't confuse.

Does anyone know how to delete a topic that I've created, or does that need to be done by an admin?

Regards, Neil

Does anyone know how to delete a topic that I've created, or does that need to be done by an admin?

Click on the report button on the unwanted topics and send a grovelling apology to the Mods. Promising not to do it again :D

BTW an interesting layout. Although my personal "change" would be to have that front RH siding scenic side, perhaps emerging from under the canal bridge I think it is restricted as use as part of the FY. I do like the canal over bridge - a nice take on water, and a bit of a challenge to make it convincing to the eye. which will probably look to see where the water flows out ;)

I do think 8x1 is going to be tight and will look like far too much track cramming. Don't suppose 8 x 18" is possible? You will be surprised at how much more realistic it looks with a bit more open space.

Edited by Kenton

Superb concept for practising your talents Neil - going to follow with interest as I don't envisage a start on mine until at least the autumn! Look forward to your further posts, perhaps you'll tip us off when you start toff NE again?

Kind regards,

Jock.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Neil,

Looks a good start.  It is a good idea to have a practise run.  I do not have the luxury of enough time to do that as I need to get things running.

Could you do a lock gate at either end of your canal to give it a physical stop?  Still, it may not be that important as it is a practise layout.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for your comments Kenton.

...my personal "change" would be to have that front RH siding scenic side, perhaps emerging from under the canal bridge I think it is restricted as use as part of the FY. I do like the canal over bridge - a nice take on water, and a bit of a challenge to make it convincing to the eye.

I like the idea of making the front siding scenic. I'll have to take a look at how it works. Though as the layout is primarily practice I'm not too concerned by the overall view from one particular side. Though when on the shelf supports it will obviously by a layout to be viewed from one side! As for the canal, yes, I agree it will be interesting to see how I can do it... maybe actually be able to see into a cross section of the water with fish!

I do think 8x1 is going to be tight and will look like far too much track cramming. Don't suppose 8 x 18" is possible? You will be surprised at how much more realistic it looks with a bit more open space.

For this one I think I really am limited to the 1'. It will reside on shelf supports in my modelling room/office, not in the garage with the NE layout. So there really is a restriction on space. But I'm less concerned by that on this layout as it is for technique practice mainly. Though I want each small piece to look good, I don't need the whole lot to look prototypical. I did think about taking out one of the roads on each end, but I want it to be fun to shunt around and play with for me and my nephew while also having space for an automatic run.

Regards, Neil

• RMweb Gold

Superb concept for practising your talents Neil - going to follow with interest as I don't envisage a start on mine until at least the autumn! Look forward to your further posts, perhaps you'll tip us off when you start toff NE again?

Kind regards,

Jock.

Thanks Jock. I don't intend to stop on NE for long. Once I'm happy with the way I've built my boards on DE I'll look at building the ones for NE, and once I'm ok with modifying the points on here, I'll get on to track laying on NE etc. But I intend to keep both threads up to date on progress, so I'll be letting you know!

I also look forward to the autumn to see your kick off as well!

Kind regards, Neil

• RMweb Gold

Neil,

Looks a good start.  It is a good idea to have a practise run.  I do not have the luxury of enough time to do that as I need to get things running.

Could you do a lock gate at either end of your canal to give it a physical stop?  Still, it may not be that important as it is a practise layout.

Thanks for your comments Chris. I really like the idea of lock gates, though it would have to be an aqueduct between two locks as there wouldn't be the depth to have a lock on the aqueduct. So if I'm going to do that I want to make sure it doesn't look worse than having an open ended canal. I guess I could have a lock gate at the front and an overhanging tree at the back. But you've certainly got me thinking!

Kind regards, Neil

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

So I've cut some boards, though they still need some tidying up along the edges.

I then laid them out and put the printouts of the layout down, together with a Hornby signal, platform and station building, a Bachmann box, two packs of playing cards and an unmade cattle dock kit to show where things could sit. It was actually a printout that I did of a slightly earlier version... but you get the idea.

From one direction... let's call it looking west:

IMG_2024.JPG.fb4697997191938b8979c20dd2c1cfcd.JPG

Looking east:

IMG_2025.JPG.8764f4011d076a73d7bba0e664e22191.JPG

And finally (mainly for Jeff) I had to inlcude the head on view of my favourite loco, my 4F. I have to say I don't know how I'm going to be able to convince myself to weather it, let alone make the modifications/corrections that Jason would suggest!

IMG_2026.JPG.356e3e7a729865b63d788c1739669ec0.JPG

Note there's also a GWR 57XX on display that I also quite like! Maybe I shouldn't even mention the 37 in the distance!!

Now all I need to do is cut the softwood, make up the boards, lay down cork, modify the Peco points then lay the track, complete the electrics (after building the circuit boards), ballast, build the station, the cattle dock, the signal box, the signals, add some grass... not much to go then!

Neil

Edited by Anotheran
  • Like 4

• RMweb Gold

OK. So I've done some fiddling with the plan. I'm going for a more urban look, but still the end of a line. The reason for this was Kenton's idea on the front siding on the RHS...

On 17/06/2014 at 10:20, Kenton said:

... my personal "change" would be to have that front RH siding scenic side, perhaps emerging from under the canal bridge I think it is restricted as use as part of the FY.

I've straightened up the layout and the platform will have a tall retaining wall behind it, maybe with some warehouse backs above. I'll work out how it's accessed, but it will be from a staircase that comes done somewhere! To the right of the canal there will be a large warehouse structure (or maybe a mill) with the front siding visible. To do this I've replaced the two points with a double slip to allow me to pull the siding forwards quickly enough to leave a reasonable length visible.

1829022181_140630A-Viewing.png.0339968a295430e066adffcd545f8022.png

So that's the current plan. Unfortunately work this week, then two weeks holiday, will probably prevent me actually assembling those boards that I've cut for a while. But I hope to have some track down by the end of July. It's about time I was able to actually run some trains!

Neil

Edited by Anotheran
  • Like 3

• 5 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Well, Jock called it correctly!

I went away and have come back with more ideas. Those ideas are starting to look at the vertical as well as the plan. But first the updated plan...

1822068500_140731A-Viewing.png.04e4e14b02af90e4dd4b0f640d4fb89c.png

So what's changed and why?

At the right hand end, I've flipped the two frontmost points so that the front two sidings are pushed towards the front of the board. This means that I can have them both visible full length. This does mean that I'm losing one of the three cassette positions. But I think this is a very worthwhile sacrifice to give the extra scenic elements. Thanks again Kenton for the initial idea.

The greyed out area over the fiddle yard will be a kitbashed Scalescenes warehouse. On the lowest level (the railway level) it will have eight loading bays facing the siding. I may look to put in some winches above. On the second level (the canal level) it will have two large windows and a single full height door facing a cobbled, triangular, area next to the canal. There will be a further two levels above to give some more height. I'm currently sketching out what I plan this to look like, so will add a picture here when I've got something worth seeing.

Street level will be another step up, though I only have about 15mm to play with. So the canal will go into a bridge under the road, and I'll probably have some steps up from the warehouse canal yard to the road as well. The road level will continue to the left behind a retaining wall that runs behind the signal box and the station. I've still got some thinking to do in this area as I think I'll put some more, low relief, industrial buildings behind the wall, but that implies that any road is further back, making my bridge more contentious!

The other change to the plan is on the left hand end, where I've pulled the front most siding forwards, again flipping the points to do so. This adds a little more visual interest than three parallel roads, and allows goods to be offloaded from the stub siding of the middle road, as well as the front siding. I think this gives more scope for movement as well. The crane jumps the tracks to the other side of the siding as a result.

The final change is less easy to spot. I've changed most of the points from short to medium radius. It's mainly those I have in the cupboard anyway, and for a shunting layout I want the best chance possible to keep stuff on the rails. The only two short points left are the two that come down into the RH sidings. I considered changing those as well, but that would push the sidings too far forwards for the width of my board.

Well, one big update on the changes. I'll post my sketch of the warehouse once it.s ready for publication!

Neil

Edited by Anotheran
  • Like 5

• RMweb Gold

I thought I'd give some more information on the buildings that I have planned. They'll change over time as I replace some quick solutions with more considered ones.

So the buildings will initially be a mixed bag. Warehouse and goods shed from Scalescenes, cattle dock a Ratio kit, signal box (Midland) - I think this is also Ratio, but it's at home and I'm not so I'm not sure. Finally, although it will be fairly easy to fabricate a final version I'm going to plonk a Hornby platform down until I've done all the other buildings. This is because I have one, so I may as well build the overal scene as quickly as I can, then replace the dodgy platform afterwards, probably with Scalescenes again.

The bit I'm not sure about is the aquaduct and the bridge over the canal at the backscene. It all depends on how the other bits fit together. So I'll be looking around for ideas on those as we go.

I've also got some ideas for a few cameos. But I'm not going to reveal them until I've tried them out and they're at least part way to working!

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Jock, I think that must be the right attitude!

I wouldn't normally post this until I had redone it on the PC, but it sort of fits with the way of thinking. I had 15 minutes waiting in the car, and a pen, and a scrap of paper... This is a photo of the result. Apologies for the low quality artistic work! It shows how I see the back scene, and indeed the main scenic buildings, all fitting together.

882244975_Fronteleveation-cropped.jpg.45ec4d1556ac831b6f3d33a298a59f3b.jpg

On the right is the Scalescenes derived factory/warehouse with the loading bays facing the sidings. Although it will have depth I won't be modelling the internals as it's in front of the fiddle yard, so I'll be making the windows suitably mucky.

Going left from there we have the canal angled into the back scene through a tunnel/bridge. As I said before, this is still to be worked out! Then at the front comes the goods shed (I've missed out the embankment, or you wouldn't see the bridge work over the railway. Then following on at the front towards the left we have the cattle dock, and finally the crane (rather oversized!)

Along the back going left from the warehouse we have something over the canal, followed by more warehousing/factories which will be a mixture of scratch built and bashed Scalescenes items.

Between back and front will be a fairly high retaining wall. My initial inclination is to use the Scalescenes wall with arches as it's of more interest (and I already have 4 arches worth of that built by my nephew and niece, so it would be nice to use it) but that may not be tall enough, so I may have to resort to a buttressed plain wall.

I'll post a better diagram once I've got it laid out on the PC properly!

Neil

Edited by Anotheran

Jock, I think that must be the right attitude!

I wouldn't normally post this until I had redone it on the PC, but it sort of fits with the way of thinking. I had 15 minutes waiting in the car, and a pen, and a scrap of paper... This is a photo of the result. Apologies for the low quality artistic work! It shows how I see the back scene, and indeed the main scenic buildings, all fitting together.

attachicon.gifFront eleveation - cropped.jpg

On the right is the Scalescenes derived factory/warehouse with the loading bays facing the sidings. Although it will have depth I won't be modelling the internals as it's in front of the fiddle yard, so I'll be making the windows suitably mucky.

Going left from there we have the canal angled into the back scene through a tunnel/bridge. As I said before, this is still to be worked out! Then at the front comes the goods shed (I've missed out the embankment, or you wouldn't see the bridge work over the railway. Then following on at the front towards the left we have the cattle dock, and finally the crane (rather oversized!)

Along the back going left from the warehouse we have something over the canal, followed by more warehousing/factories which will be a mixture of scratch built and bashed Scalescenes items.

Between back and front will be a fairly high retaining wall. My initial inclination is to use the Scalescenes wall with arches as it's of more interest (and I already have 4 arches worth of that built by my nephew and niece, so it would be nice to use it) but that may not be tall enough, so I may have to resort to a buttressed plain wall.

I'll post a better diagram once I've got it laid out on the PC properly!

Neil

Kal and I often do this quick sketches....not pretty...but they get down the essentials....so you don't lose the essence of the idea.....and unlike the pretty tidy computer versions...they power up the brain cells when you look back at them.....

although the Doxey title with the scene and those TV programmes we so often see...have me imaging some 'working' girls and some bloke in a cheap mack sidling up...... :jester:

AV has it's own street walker brandishing her goods right behind the police station....some of those H0 figures just lend them selves to the idea...they even look as though they can't walk a straight line....drunk to do the business? LMAO.

• RMweb Gold

Jaz,

I have to admit you had me thinking for a minute. Though I spelled it Doxey, the place I live, rather than Doxy, a woman of ill repute, I now wonder whether I should change the name! Can't have punters getting the wrong idea!

Jaz,

I have to admit you had me thinking for a minute. Though I spelled it Doxey, the place I live, rather than Doxy, a woman of ill repute, I now wonder whether I should change the name! Can't have punters getting the wrong idea!

No no it is fine.....I was just playing with the word........not meaning to put you off. 

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

More to come, but here's my proposed warehouse front for the right hand side to hide the fiddle yard.

1030798992_Completewarehouse-forRM.jpg.a04249354a5f118a0d9cc504b02750d9.jpg

Let me know what you think... too much?

Edited by Anotheran
  • Like 5