Doxey End - Walls and Bridges

Anotheran

• RMweb Gold

I hope someone will let me know if it's getting boring, but I'm quite excited by drawing out the backscene while I'm meant to be working! Trouble is, work does keep impinging on my time, so I only get to do small bits at a time. I've laid out the picture as I want it to be now (showing the layout below the elevation so you can see what is what.)

1439127442_Warehousewallandotherfactories.jpg.2235d2d9b1aed8fc4fccdda8b16676c4.jpg

The elements of the backscene are correctly scaled Scalescenes items. So you can see (if you're paying that much attention) that I've reduced the length of the warehouse by one window bay to fit it in with the layout. I still think it looks good :)

The retaining wall is again Scalescenes (Low Relief Arches). I've put them in right the way across at the moment, but clearly they'll be interrupted by the canal... which sadly may need to become a road for me to get the correct levels in and still run trains underneath it. I also think that I'll keep the retaining wall straight, rather than follow the convoluted path that I currently have in the plan view.

The factories/warehouses behind the retaining wall are currently just cuts from the main warehouse. One or two may be so, but others will be different just to make some variety. I just wanted to fill up some space before I posted the picture before I went back to my hotel for the evening!

Another advantage of this picture is that I can also say that I've already started building the layout (or at least my nephew and niece have!) as I already have four of the eventual ten arches! It also makes it seem easier to get to, as I know that I can put the Scalescenes kits together. Look at that... progress without even going home! :sungum: Of course, I know you're meant to start with the baseboards, then track... :O

I'll start adding in the platform, shed, dock and signal box, as well as some rails and buffers next... But probably not tomorrow sadly as I've got more in the way of meetings to attend! But by the weekend I'll have my final image to work from.

Edited by Anotheran
Adding back images lost by site change
  • Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Jock, Believe it or not I just used MS Paint!

I captured the various elements from the Scalescenes pdf files at 100%. Then using a few Paint windows with png files of the captures I used transparent selections to copy and paste them together into modules (such as a big window module, small window module, ledge module, loading dock module etc). I then assembled them all in another Paint window.

Once I was happy I created a copy of the file and reduced it to 25% as all of my master plans are at 25% (I'd never make a real bond villain only looking at 25%!) But I always keep my full size copies of everything.

I then copied the new building elements into a file that already contained my plan at 25%. Of course, what you see on RM is further reduced and converted to jpg, or it wouldn't fit on the page, or be allowed to be uploaded.

I may possibly have used Gimp if I was at home... but I don't have it on my work PC. Though I often just use Paint if I only want simple things (which for me is most of the time!)

Edited by Anotheran
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Neil,

I like the look of it.  Far better to do plans when you do not have the modelling time otherwise you loose valuable time.

As for building baseboards first, that's just for wimps! :jester:   I have been building coaches and buildings for years for a layout where there is not even a plan for a baseboard.  :yes:

HI Neil,

the layout looks great . RE the name i knew it would be some one from these sunny climbs to call a layout

doxey end 

cheers james (also from sunny climbs)

• Like 2

Hi Neil, wow mate, just caught up with this little beauty, how on earth did I miss this last Month, maybe my eyes were worse than I thought, hahhahah.

What a cracking track plan, on my way out the door now but will be back for a full read later so you may will definitely get some likes popping up on your screen.

Bodge.

• RMweb Gold

RE the name i knew it would be some one from these sunny climbs to call a layout

cheers james (also from sunny climbs)

Hi James,

I guess you're the James from Topp Trains. I'm the Neil that bought the Stephenson's Rocket carriage from you for my dad! The one that keeps coming in to the shop to buy a small packet of something inexpensive and leaves with a couple of waggons :O

Glad you like the layout. It's intended as a practice ground for techniques I'll then use on Newcastle Emlyn. But I have to admit I'm getting to quite like it in its own right... which is important as it will take some time :)

Neil

Edited by Anotheran
  • Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Hi Andy,

Great to have you on board here as well as NE sir! I'm sure it wasn't your eyes that caused you to miss it... more likely to be the thousand or so other threads to which you contribute so wonderfully that drowned out my little effort here :mosking:

Really glad you like the plan. It sort of fell together from my original requirements, so definitely not prototypical. But I have to say that as it's gone on I've really got to like it and can see all sorts of interesting (if not prototypically correct) movements. And I'll be doing the electrics so that I can have bits running automatically while I use the rest as a shunt puzzle, or just run things in and out etc.

Comments on here have greatly improved how it will look though, from a plank to test out modelling techniques to a proper little layout... but if you're going to read through the lot I'll let you form your own opinion on that!

Neil

Edited by Anotheran
  • Like 3

Hi Neil, finally got there, SORRY FOR ALL THE LIKES, but I love shunting Layouts and its what I wanted Kingsley to come out like. I love the back scenes, it will be really effective with some grot, but NOT graffiti on the wall, hahaha.

Really nice plan and its got me thinking again about another shunting plank Layout.

Bodge.

Edited by Andrew P

• RMweb Gold

My notification list ran out of space! Thanks Andy for all the likes :)

I could not do graffiti anywhere near the standards of Jaz... so my walls will remain graffiti free (for now at least!)

Really nice plan and its got me thinking again about another shunting plank Layout.

:laugh: I assume that's just a little something to pass the time while the potting shed is prepared!

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Something for the weekend... Scalescenes sheets printed out for the warehouse front wall and the arched retaining wall. And placed next to the half size mock-up components.

20140815_174729.jpg.b056b8238e37ee3f9e2d3a507cef46b5.jpg

With most of the weekend available I hope to put the baseboards together, maybe even get the cork glued down and make a start on the warehouse and back wall. So there will actually be some modelling to be seen on here for the first time! I hope to get more of the mock up together on cereal box card as well, to allow me to make any final tweaks before committing anything expensive.

I'm also going to pick up an L&YR 2-4-2 that I've reserved at Topp Trains in Stafford as the basis of a little project I have planned. But more of that when I've got it over on the NE thread where it belongs.

Edited by Anotheran
Adding back images lost by site change. But annoyingly this one won't come in with the correct orientation!
  • Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Well as promised this weekend I have finally made a proper start on modelling with the warehouse that is to hide the fiddle yard. I'm using the Scalescenes warehouse kit, which requires me to extend it, and hack it a bit. I also like to use 1mm balsa in place of 1mm card where prescribed in the instructions as it makes for a lighter final product and also makes cutting out windows etc quite a bit easier!

IMG_3212.JPG.bba4924e09511135f580ac096c2d1c46.JPG

For this build though, as it's such a large single wall, I will be using 2mm card (actually doubled to 4mm) for the buttresses and ledges (the blue brick and concrete elements on the picture). At least with these the cutting is easier as they're just straight lines!

Of course, even with balsa there is some pain. This is the first of 48 arched openings (remember this is just for the front). Each one needs to be cut in the balsa, and then in the brick overlay!

IMG_3213.JPG.8f926545725ba656f2b9d8f46a618838.JPG

I've started with the top two floor. No reason for that, they were just at the top of the pile of sheets that I'd printed! The arches for these two floors all laid out in order so we can see how it is starting to look when compared to the half size print above it.

IMG_3215.JPG.4d213d3efb51422dbae3fc04d4a8f8e6.JPG

At this point I realised that my nice scaled drawings weren't spot on. I guess I should have measured more carefully! I actually need to have the run of twelve bays that I originally thought. I cut it down to eleven on the basis of my (badly) scaled diagrams :(

However, all is not lost. Because of the way the sheets are set up I had had to print enough for twelve bays anyway. It just resulted in some additional out of order cutting and sticking!

I used PVA brushed on to the balsa this time. It takes well and dries quickly. But I found that it makes the wood (and paper) swell up a little too much for my liking.

IMG_3221.JPG.7c238357d14ff40c248e25efc3e72bce.JPG

So for the later pieces of the day I went back to the trusty glue stick. Lots of pieces to put together.

IMG_3224.JPG.1dd146a02368eba6599fe769172e4a40.JPG

And, as I like to prevaricate by stopping and looking at what I've got repeatedly, here's a shot of how the two upper floors will go together.

IMG_3225.JPG.3694cdadf567a4263831ddf4ddb7721d.JPG

More later, or maybe tomorrow!

Edited by Anotheran
  • Like 4

• RMweb Gold

## Cross posting this from my NE thread as it doesn't belong there! I should obviously watch what I'm doing more closely! ##

So, having made a start on the warehouse I had to do something while the glue was drying.

IMG_3228.JPG.18614498d989a05590d011fad728b500.JPG

The pieces for the baseboard, cut on the driveway while the sun was shining as the garage is still full of boxes! This is just the pieces for one of the 4 x 1 boards... I cut the pieces for both. A little PVA, pilot holes, countersink holes and some manual screwdriver work (why I didn't use the power tool for that I have no idea!) and here we are, number one of two. I'm very pleased with my first proper baseboard, even if it is only 4 x 1!

IMG_3229.JPG.fcc58f6ba1d01ed3f648e5f791bb348f.JPG

Number two can wait until tomorrow as the glue is dry on the jigsaw that will be the top two floors of the warehouse front wall, so I'm going to have a pizza and then get back to that!

Edited by Anotheran
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

You can now see the relief starting to be built up on the first three bays of these top two floors. Still along way to go though! Nine more bays, all of the glazing and sills. The buttresses and ledges won't go on until the lower floors are also done and I'm assembling the whole lot.

IMG_3230.JPG.0592910c0ede9b751e37d6ee66454888.JPG

IMG_3231.JPG.005d91f10da611971178ec26ed190f0b.JPG

I don't know if people want the blow by blow photos. I'll certainly not do any more of the this bit now until I've got the full two floors of windows complete.

But that's me done for the night. If I don't stop now I'll go on for hours!

Edited by Anotheran
  • Like 1

I don't know if people want the blow by blow photos

Yes please, I'm going to be constructing the Scalescenes warehouse, and modifying it to suit a corner. I like the idea for balsa as a medium instead of the card. I'm about half way through their depot kit and the card cutting can be a bit laborious to say the least. You seem to be making great progress.

I love the plan and the whole idea, I will watch with interest.

Jinty ;-)

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi Jinty,

Thanks for the comment.

I, with some assistance from my nephew and niece who were then 6 and 12, built just one section of the low relief arches (4 arches) in card some time ago. It took ages, and there was no way I could let them try to cut the 2mm card with the knife, especially around the curve of the arch. The next thing that we built together was the water tower. With the exception of the roof (which needs curved thin card) the whole structure was in balsa. They were able to cut lots of it themselves. Though I still didn't let them near the superglue!

IMG_3232.JPG.be051b071d2f48a0626144391f52444e.JPG

It's very light weight and strong (I built up 2mm by cross laminating two sheets of 1mm to give it strength in both directions) and looks every bit as good as it would have done in card. Sadly there's no spot for it on NE unless I can squeeze it in between the signal box and the canal. So going forwards I'll be using balsa for most of my Scalescenes work, just resorting to card on things like buttresses that give the model a greater strength (and are easy to cut as they're just straight lines!)

I should have said actually, when I've been building the warehouse I've been very careful to ensure that the different layers have the grain running across each other in the balsa to ensure strength.

Edited by Anotheran
  • Like 2

My notification list ran out of space! Thanks Andy for all the likes :)

I could not do graffiti anywhere near the standards of Jaz... so my walls will remain graffiti free (for now at least!)

:laugh: I assume that's just a little something to pass the time while the potting shed is prepared!

Morning Neil, Just catching up yet again, it appears that Jaz didn't like my comments about NO GRAFFITI, so I hope it didn't offend, she has PM'd me but when I read the PM i wasn't sure what it was for, I now see as like you my notification box was full of likes and agrees.

I was NOT meant to be disparaging to Jaz's work, I just felt that it had been done and done to a high standard as your layout  needs to be YOU which it looks like it will be and to a high quality.

Off back now for a further catch up.

Bodge,

BTW you may WILL now get some more likes.

Edited by Andrew P

Morning Neil, Just catching up yet again, it appears that Jaz didn't like my comments about NO GRAFFITI, so I hope it didn't offend, she has PM'd me but when I read the PM i wasn't sure what it was for, I now see as like you my notification box was full of likes and agrees.

I was NOT meant to be disparaging to Jaz's work, I just felt that it had been done and done to a high standard as your layout  needs to be YOU which it looks like it will be and to a high quality.

Off back now for a further catch up.

Bodge,

BTW you may WILL now get some more likes.

LOL My disagree was tongue in cheek.... :jester:

the PM was purely to say if you HATE disagrees...and I know it winds some people up....I would have removed it... :angel:

.there should be

straight faced disagrees...... :nono:

and winking faces disagrees...... :no:

LOL

it's amazing how we can abuse such a simple little system..... :butcher: .....just love emoticons.....

• Like 2

I don't know if people want the blow by blow photos

Yes please, I'm going to be constructing the Scalescenes warehouse, and modifying it to suit a corner. I like the idea for balsa as a medium instead of the card. I'm about half way through their depot kit and the card cutting can be a bit laborious to say the least. You seem to be making great progress.

I love the plan and the whole idea, I will watch with interest.

Jinty ;-)

agree people DO want the pictures.....at Xmas I asked if people wanted a blow by blow and loads said on thread or PMed to say yes please

be it good or bad, a picture says a thousand words. :sungum:

It does take more effort, of course, BUT you also get a record of what you did if yu fancy repeating it..... :sungum:

• RMweb Gold

Having cut all the pieces last night, and already built one, the second baseboard unit went together quickly. So now I have two! Pleased with my carpentry. It may be very simple stuff, but it's nice to see at the end that they're both neat, tidy and square:sungum:

IMG_3238.JPG.d8ec9964e97b6fb380c1b06af78fb3ae.JPG

So what to do while the glue is setting on the second one? Back to the warehouse! Not being one to waste an opportunity I upturned the first baseboard and used the inside of it as a jig to get the top two floors all level and square while assembling the pieces with super-glue.

IMG_3233.JPG.5510f98c583c12b1507bc51491a4efdd.JPG

IMG_3234.JPG.09a006e058e03db84846c0ed0272f3b6.JPG

IMG_3235.JPG.fc5962d65f19fdd3b3f095c33705f1be.JPG

Very pleased with the final result of those.

IMG_3237.JPG.02b9ad43ccffd08720e95d0bd398be30.JPG

Although the windows won't be added until later (after I've sprayed the printed surface with matt varnish for a start as I don't want to have to mask all those arches) I couldn't resist printing the windows on to clear acetate. Just to see what they are like.

IMG_3236.JPG.674e1d00a4a3ac8e79020499a84a0118.JPG

I know the woodwork is all flat, but I do like the dirty glass effect that Scalescenes produce. You can only just see the field through it when held up to the window... which is good as it's meant to hide my fiddle yard!

Edited by Anotheran

• RMweb Gold

With the boards there to play with the next thing to do was check all my clearances. So I reprinted the track plan to make sure I had all of the latest changes and with a mix of Hornby set track, the Peco code 75 points that I will be using on the layout and a few bits of rolling stock, platform and the four arches that the kids made a while ago I could check out how it looked for space.

IMG_3239.JPG.85f10b1937119e91f0993ebc8c7503d7.JPG

IMG_3240.JPG.07bd264342ac6f1e0ab0ae271c5f0cd2.JPG

A little tight at the platform, but I can have a slightly narrower platform. The two visible sidings at the right hand end can actually get a bit closer together, which will give me more room for the all important fence/wall at the front of the board!

Happy with that!  :imsohappy:

The red blocks, by the way, are the locations for electromagnetic decouplers for the Kadees that my stock will eventually all have... hmmm another thing to do!

Edited by Anotheran