The Official Rapido APT-E Thread

rapidotrains

Thanks Kyle, that GUARANTEES no-one on Project Miller will ever talk to me.  :D  :D

Actually I had a great time at Ruddington and thanks to Kyle for doing everything to make my time there so painless and interesting. While my two talks went down well the highlight of the weekend was running BOTH of our Rapido E-Train models on the Ruddington Model Railway Club's layout at the same time and in opposite directions!  :O

Luckily Kyle's model has had some superb exhaust and brake dust weathering done on it (you should post some pics of it Kyle, it's very good) so we could tell which one was which. And at LAST I got to hear the tilt packs start up on my model, and the club has the same NCE controller as my club has, but the screen shows totally different displays for the same button pushes. :scratchhead:

Sometimes these things can get just too complicated.....

• Like 1

Glad you enjoyed your time with us Kit!

Whilst i'm not familiar with the NCE, i'd imagine it could be just a firmware update that is required in order to access the extra functions? Give Jeremy at Digitrains in Lincoln a call, top bloke i'm sure he'll put you straight. I asked for advice on a sound loco, I thought he'd say nothing can be done and you will need a new decoder which they will sell me one, but no, he gave me tips on what to do to improve the sound given there is absolutely nothing he can do to it. Very few people like that these days.

Here are a few pictures as requested, not the greatest but i'm sure other photos will surface shortly as there were cameras from every angle on that layout!

20160730_173709_zpsei1ou48r.jpg

20160730_172724_zpsxcgclvsq.jpg

20160730_173749_zpsfvfaxxzm.jpg

20160730_172340_zpsl7qpfp5s.jpg

received_10204919453905392_zpsryaq0ffd.j

FB_IMG_1470045017479_zpsutgb8pec.jpg

- Pictured with some of the Rudd MRC.

Edited by srihaggis
  • Like 4

So who is going to be the first to remove the nose cones, fit couplings and run them in multiple?! Would that make them GTMU's?

Hehe, exactly! We suggested precisely that at the time we nosed them both together.  :D Actually I think E-Train already was a GTMU as it couldn't run without at least three vehicles in the consist. 

Great pics Kyle, thanks very much.  :good:

Some guys on here have suggested a procedure to get my club NCE controller to access the high order F numbers, but our screen just doesn't show what they've suggested, so I may give your Jeremy a call and see what we can sort out, thanks for the tip. 

Edited by Mr_Tilt
  • Like 1

Your APT survived it's earlier gravity test ok then!

Cheers

Shane

Only just Shane. I found I'd snapped one of the transoms off the centre E1T bogie, bit it still runs OK.

I see a repair session in my near future.....

Only just Shane. I found I'd snapped one of the transoms off the centre E1T bogie, bit it still runs OK.

I see a repair session in my near future.....

Sorry to hear that Kit, She must have took one ell of a fall,

Take's a kicking, But keeps on ticking, Hopefully nothing to major, Looks fantastic along side Kyle's,

Not much in updates, but was planning running some of my new toys, so the test track was set up and yet again the APT's dominated, as always,

The P-Train received a Lokpilot and stay alive unit which has totally transformed her, runs very smooth and starts effortlessly, she still is original, no modifications apart from fitting the decoder, sometimes it's worth going that bit extra to bring the auld girls back to life. 

The Devil (08 shunter) is now on it's 4th decoder, and is running very well, I spoke to the model shop who supplied the decoder and they have confirmed to send it back to Southwest Digital, so will be contacting Caroline about it, they would have sent it back for me but because I'd reblown it and hard wired it, it wasn't possible.

So here we go, The RMWeb's very own you've been framed,

First up the Twins, and this time they never blew the ECoS,

First time my E-Train is running (on Camera) with her big sister and all coach lighting running,

https://youtu.be/7XdgF6qfVMY

In my opinion the dimmed lighting does look a lot better, and the travel tubes are in the background, Service Use is now stored in hers, and have to say quite a weight!!

Different camera angle,

https://youtu.be/0E_g9AKtxhI

Just for the fun of it, All 3 running together,

https://youtu.be/rHCEw7uh44g

Not everything goes to plan though, Where on earth did she come from???

https://youtu.be/bE62Q3GBypk

That's what happens when you don't have enough controllers and lose concentration, not quite upto Kit and Kyle's setup, but still 2 APT's

• Like 2

Wow. That weathering has lifted the APT-E to another level.

Cheers

Ben A.

Cheers Ben. I take no credit for the weathering, I hand that over to The Model Centre in Beck Hole. I supplied them with a load of reference photos mostly from off here so they had something to work to and they worked their magic in about 3 weeks. This was the first APT-E they've worked on and I believe it took longer than expected because I gave them strict instruction to leave it assembled whilst weathering so it 'flowed', and because of the delicate couplings I didn't want to risk them being damaged.

Edited by srihaggis
  • Like 1

I mentioned it before, but that is one outstanding E-Train Kyle, I would be a bag of nerves doing it, The weathering works that's just outside Whitby? Heard great comments and reviews about them this just goes to prove it.

I know it's not E-Train related and sorry, But just got hold of a panto for P-Train, Mine was damaged when I got her some 20+ years ago from Sedgefield car boot, Have to say a decent decoder and the old Hornby Ringfield motor can still give the new girls a run for there money, The nose to nose wasn't intentional, but Christ she can move, need to concentrate a bit more in the future, Next job to sort out the lighting.

• Like 1

I mentioned it before, but that is one outstanding E-Train Kyle, I would be a bag of nerves doing it, The weathering works that's just outside Whitby? Heard great comments and reviews about them this just goes to prove it.

I know it's not E-Train related and sorry, But just got hold of a panto for P-Train, Mine was damaged when I got her some 20+ years ago from Sedgefield car boot, Have to say a decent decoder and the old Hornby Ringfield motor can still give the new girls a run for there money, The nose to nose wasn't intentional, but Christ she can move, need to concentrate a bit more in the future, Next job to sort out the lighting.

I've not heard of them being called the weathering works; perhaps a different company offering the same service, but none the less they are just outside Whitby yes. http://www.themodelcentre.com/

It's amazing you can still get bits and bobs for the P-Train

I've not heard of them being called the weathering works; perhaps a different company offering the same service, but none the less they are just outside Whitby yes. http://www.themodelcentre.com/

It's amazing you can still get bits and bobs for the P-Train

My mistake. I have heard of a company called that, probably because TMC do a lot on Ebay of weathered loco's and rolling stock, They have some superb examples, Yours must me top of the list now Kyle,

Got the panto off Ebay, There's been a few over the past couple of months, but I never thought the auld girl would perform as good as she has been, so decided to get one for her.

I am sorry to go off topic here, but couldn't resist,

Doing a light service and checkup on P-Train, some of the wire on the drive car had snapped but was not missing, so that got fixed back into place, she does have a bit of wear to her, noticed some fading here and there, but nothing major, Have to say compared to some on ebay, she's dam near pretty good. I did notice the traction tyres were spinning on the wheels themselves, so off to the model shop I popped and got some new traction tyres for her, (Thanks Titan #3797)

This is the good bit,  I asked "I'm after some traction tyres for the Hornby APT please" thought nothing of it and the reply came back "Yes sir no problem, is that the China model", trying not to laugh,

"Err well it's nearly a 30 year old model so would say it's British" (not everything was made in china) to which he asked the owner of the shop who reeled off the item number without even thinking, and these are now fitted snug as a bug,

Will do a test at some point when the test track gets set up again, will see if I can get the HST125 running along side all of the APT's, need to concentrate on that, don't want another nose bashing!!!

I am sorry to go off topic here, but couldn't resist,

Will do a test at some point when the test track gets set up again, will see if I can get the HST125 running along side all of the APT's, need to concentrate on that, don't want another nose bashing!!!

If you don't want a nose bashing stay on topic! :jester:

If you don't want a nose bashing stay on topic! :jester:

Will do, To make up for it I'll see if I can persuade "service use" to haul a 12 coach rake, With E-Train, P-Train and the 125 doing what they do best, :locomotive:

There is an interesting note about a possibly new APT-E speed and duration record at http://www.oogardenrailway.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=907&start=30 . I watched it for some of the time myself and the running was faultless. Just a pity it wasn't sound fitted.  See post #16730 on that page.

Riddles

The real thing would have never have made it, we'd have run out of fuel around Doncaster I reckon.  :D

Well it happened, 3 APT's and the HST 125 all running, quite a difficult task with the HST as a 10 car unit and Service Use rocking up at 14, but it did happen.

The E-Train's behaved flawlessly, kept pace like a Swiss watch, first time the HST ran and with 8 coaches, Then P-Train like a bull in a china shop, still needs to settle a bit so will tinker with the settings, the panto also arrived this morning and is now sporting that.

post-28965-0-21121900-1470854835_thumb.jpg

I have been asked a few times about running issues with Service Use, As a 10 car unit runs brilliant, I did have issues before going over 8 coaches and was going to try a 2nd wiring harness in case of voltage drop, but no didn't need to with the 12.

May of been the case of the ECoS on the way out of more likely coming off one corner going into another (s curve, switchback etc.). For me that is the limit, plans have been changed and now running as PC-3 & 4, TC-1 & 2 won't play part of this and she'll only ever haul 8.

How far can you actually go? When smoke comes out of PC-1's exhaust for real that's too far!!! It's still only a single decoder that has to power a motor and speaker 4 metres away (with 12 coaches) so is asking a lot.

I would say if anyone was going this far or more an overhaul of the decoder would probably be essential, I did look into this and found a way of doing it, not easy but could be doable,

You can also see the difference in the lighting, TC-1 & 2 and one of the other coaches hasn't been modified, It was a bit of a headache with HST running at about the 3 metre mark and Service Use at the 4.1 metre mark, couldn't do it at speed they were a bit of a handful.

I decided to try a different camera and have to apologise, even by my super duper video standard this is rubbish, if I ever repeat this I'll try something a bit better,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=32M0MS56m1U

Edited by UP 4000
  • Like 1

A modification to use two decoders must surely be a possibility for such a long consist, perhaps with an isolation in the middle of it?

I did ponder that, 2 decoders would share the load, but the concern would be if they weren't in sync could pull E-Train off the Track, (been there), I planned on basically beefing up, ESU Loksound L, designed for 0 gauge,http://www.esu.eu/en/products/loksound/loksound-l-select-loksound-l-v40/

This should fit where the speaker goes, and if you use the DCC Concepts 58x20x9mm bass speaker it can sit on top of the motor housing just below the exhaust's, the speaker does work there, as for the decoder, size wise should fit but have never tried it as I now don't intend to go that far with it.

Cor, that ancient motor in the Hornby P-Train sounds a bag of bolts compared to the E-Train and HST motors.

But that's all VERY impressive.  :D

Not doing bad though for an auld girl, Have to admit even though both E-Train's and the HST are all sound equipped, I do like the purr of the motor's on the E-Trains, and at high speed the whooshhh and clickity clack on the tracks is pure music to the ears,,,

• Like 1

Not doing bad though for an auld girl, Have to admit even though both E-Train's and the HST are all sound equipped, I do like the purr of the motor's on the E-Trains, and at high speed the whooshhh and clickity clack on the tracks is pure music to the ears,,,

Yes, the sound of the umpteen Trailer Cars clickity clacking past sounded very good indeed.  :D

I connected mine up for the first time today. First 3 joined together okay, 4th (PC2) was more awkward, but got there eventually.

However, PC2 doesn't work, either connected or on its own, what do I do now?

How about trying to connect just PC1 and PC2 and seeing if PC2 runs? If it still doesn't run it sounds like time to send it to Charlie.

That's an authentic consist too as we did it for real when shunting E-Train across from the NRM to the Thrall Works when we moved it to Shildon. You'll have to leave the Joint Module off though.......  :D

LpZIzU.jpg

Edited by Mr_Tilt
  • Like 2