The Official Rapido APT-E Thread

rapidotrains

If you're looking through the windows at the main instrumentation console, the Tilt Control seat is the single one with a table facing along the train just before the open door with the sandwich door stop. The Tilt Control console is the silver box on the wall behind the table.

Here it is in the real thing at Shildon.

WDWt8I.jpg

This is me sitting at it wondering why TC2 Tilt Pack won't start. The fact that it was taken at Shildon 2-3 years ago may have something to do with it.  :D

jEGHg7.jpg

The equipment in the new IEP is less impressive

post-9992-0-85046500-1477359807_thumb.jpg

post-9992-0-21074800-1477359809_thumb.jpg

Mike Wiltshire

Edited by Coach bogie
  • Like 2

The equipment in the new IEP is less impressive

attachicon.gifhitachi 3.jpg

attachicon.gifhitachi 4.jpg

Mike Wiltshire

It's the mark of progress I guess. I expect the guys aboard there have more computing power in their wrist-watches than we had in the whole instrumentation rack on E-Train.  :D

Where did you see that IEP under test? Are they to be Class 80s under TOPS?

• RMweb Premium

It's the mark of progress I guess. I expect the guys aboard there have more computing power in their wrist-watches than we had in the whole instrumentation rack on E-Train.  :D

Hi Kit,

They are Class 800 and there's quite a bit of testing going on the ECML at the moment.

More info on the relevant thread.

Cheers,

Mick

Edited by newbryford

I was wondering if anyone who owns this wonderful model has had any problems since its release ? Personally mine has operated perfectly since a friend of mine put it together for me, I can only run my APT-E on one of my main lines because of clearance problems, but, at least I can give her a good old thrash now and again, I'm still delighted with the model and one day I must try and return it to its box, incidentally 70% of my models are sound fitted and the cat often accompanies into the railway room when I have an operating session and she often sits on a stool and watches the trains pass by, the sound does not worry her in the slightest however, starting up the APT-E is a slightly different matter !

The only issue I had was the back to backs on the powered bogies were slightly out. It's since been regauged so not really an issue. The only other slight issue was that it's not fitted with an anti gravity device, as both Kit and I have found out.

Cheers

Shane

Edited by Wolf27

I think one of the back to backs are out as it keeps derailing on certain points but yet to buy a gauge to check, other than that I have an intermittant fault whereby the directional lights seemly die every now and then, they will work, pack in then it could be a couple of hours of standing still for them to work again. Contacted rapido but no responce on any occasion. Not overly impressed with their customer service, but that aside it's ran no problem.

Just down the road from Shildon at Heighington. Lots of sets being made up in the yards.

Pics taken at Darlington

Another run on Monday night to Stevenage.

Depart Heighington - Merchant Park Sidings 21:04

Darlington 21:24 - 21:33 Often runs early. If on diesel test can be in Darlington station for only a few minutes.

Return

Darlington 06:44 - 07:10

Heighington - Merchant Park Sidings 07:22

post-9992-0-27157600-1477768864_thumb.jpg

800 101 does look a bit slim alongside a Pacer!

Mike Wiltshire

The only issue I had was the back to backs on the powered bogies were slightly out. It it's since been rehashed so not really an issue. The only other slight issue was that it's not fitted with an anti gravity device, as both Kit and I have found out.

Cheers

Shane

A distinct item lacking on Rapido's part. I'll have to talk to Bill about retro-fitting one next time I  see him...  :D

I think one of the back to backs are out as it keeps derailing on certain points but yet to buy a gauge to check, other than that I have an intermittant fault whereby the directional lights seemly die every now and then, they will work, pack in then it could be a couple of hours of standing still for them to work again. Contacted rapido but no responce on any occasion. Not overly impressed with their customer service, but that aside it's ran no problem.

My issue was a wire which was disconnected. Rapido fixed it right away !! When I got it back had a dickens of a time getting the lighting to work properly. I bought the DCC ready version and the decoder had to be mapped. The body shell on one side sticks out a little because of the numerous times it was removed. I admit it is a stunning looking model but not my favourite. 

I don't think Rapido is the contact for those in the UK. I believe it is DC-Kits? It should be in the APT manual. 

Edited by thebritfarmer

For a brand new unit, designed, tested, built and knocked out inside of 2 years, fault wise not doing to bad,

Yes there is going to be issues, most have been reported on here, from dodgy driveshaft (yoke), directional lighting, Body alignment, DCC ready unit needed mapping for lighting, (although not a fault with the model just annoying to sort out),

2 PC-1's or 2's sent, suicidal units, Myself a dodgy cablight on service use which I sorted myself and apart from that is proving very powerful and capable.

E-Train herself (sound version) hasn't battered an eyelid, perfect, faultless from day dot, although doesn't run as much as the others on here, my only gripe is the coach lighting being too bright which was quickly sorted.

Charlie from DC Kits, is who you need to contact in the UK if you have issues, He will point you in the right direction to get any issues sorted,

• 3 weeks later...

Well it's been a bit quiet lately on here, so time to make some noise!!!

Thought about this for a while and over the past few weeks got the ball rolling, how to improve the sound on service use? easy fit a 2nd decoder in PC-4, originally planned an 8pin Loksound and hard wire it for power pickup and the speaker, but no,, why make it easy, so instead wired a 21pin MTC/adapter board and a DPDT relay in powered off AUX1.

So with the relay off the main decoder runs both speakers as normal, flick the relay on and the speaker swaps over to the 2nd decoder, (about 25 second mark) what a difference, not only that sound functions have been mapped as well, Horns detonators window wipers cab light switch sound in cab montage and even the additional turbine starts operate in the direction of travel, She's also revable,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oSK6KImHFFg

E-Train can too, new coach lighting setup as well,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7CvfW5EnN8A

Service Use with disco coach and TC-11, Starts and winds up on single decoder then the 2nd gets switched on for wind down and the horns, again still the super fantastic camera phone, couldn't get the test track set up for a longer run and really does sound better in real life.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BLpan2Nc94c

It must get kinda LOUD in your house at times.  :D

Ironically No, with no permanent layout and as most know I do run them silent, but work has started on the loft, service use has a bigger voice plus a few more ideas still to come it is going to get one ell of a lot louder, god help the neighbours, 

I hope to have mine running on the layout before Christmas. I moved house 3 months ago, in the old house the layout was stored above the car in the garage except for 2 sections. However a serious down poor caused these two sections to sit in flood water and expand.

In the new house, I have a railway room, so no more spending a few hours lowering and setting up the layout when I wish to run it - which was always restricted to summer because my wife does not like the car left outdoors in winter.

I have spent the past few months slowly setting it up. Slowly because after any house move, there are thing house things which take priority!

The sections which expanded, made the track work very un-even, so that was one thing to redo. Most of the complex wiring was ok... Slowly the layout is getting there....

I then found some recent releases like the Adams radials, 2-BILs etc are super sensitive to any minor undulation (or change in incline) leading to lots more minor tweeks. Plus minor modifications to platforms and things, because while the third rail shoes of the VEPs, CEPs, EPBs cleared them, the BILs and HALs did not! It is remarkable to see kit built locos, which are normally very track fussy, coping easily with minor track undulations far better than the latest RTR releases that jump off the track at the slightest dip or incline!

And then we have the APT-E, whose overhangs surpass easily those of a Eurostar, which had the biggest overhangs at the time the layout was built. No track adjustment required, but some buildings, side scenes need to be pushed back 5mm.

We are getting there....

• Like 2

Just think what an unopened APT-E box would be worth on Ebay in 50 years time!!

The sellotape will have dried out and fallen off by then, so effectively every APT-E will have been opened either by man or nature.

Still imagine someone buying a well preserved (frozen!) never opened APT-E, paying a ghastly sum for it, only to scan it and find out that there is not one in there!

I wonder how collectors display this? "Here is a boring brown cardboard box in my display cabinet. You will be amazed at the beauty of the thing inside, but I'm not opening it".

I find in practice, un-opened items go for very high sums in the first few years after release but as time drags on, the number of people actually wanting it will drop off. Either because they leave the hobby or another manufacturer will eventually release a more modern version to replace it.

I feel Wrenn is about to hit the floor soon because you can now get far better Spam cans from Hormby. Doubtless Dapol will do a die cast black label version at some point too. Likewise Lima items got big just after they went bankrupt and now sell for peanuts as all the models they did are now replaced by better modern versions.

• Like 1

Do have to agree, The cost will reflect the demand, If no-body wants an unopened APT-E in 50 years time then it will fetch very little indeed,

Looking at the current Ebay prices, some of them have been on for a long time now, with a £150-£200 price hike on pure profiteering no-one is willing to buy them, the demand is not there at that price. 

It is a £250 model, very reasonably priced, could have commanded a higher price quite easily, but like everything nowadays the shelf life is very short and the next new version comes around quite quickly, Come to think of it will Ebay be around in 50 years time?.

• Like 1

I rather doubt if there will be 'new versions' of an APT-E model.

It'd be pretty difficult to improve on Rapido's original (and yes, I KNOW I'm 'slightly' biased.  :D ) and would there be a demand for such an exotic model? The current one sold approx 2000 units, which isn't all that many in mass market terms. Would any of the other 'majors' fork out for such a small sale prospect?