Sheffield Exchange, Toy trains, music and fun!

Clive Mortimore

12 minutes ago, Dr Gerbil-Fritters said:

Some days the zen does not flow. 

All I have managed since the weekend is to fail to get my point rodding to work, sent money to a company known for not delivering goods, let all the smoke out of the chip that was to power my 4CEP and taken delivery of the wrong piece of electrickery kit cuz I must have clicked the wrong box.

F*$%ing stupid hobby anyway.

Hi Dr Fritters,

I am pleased to tell you that you are the second person that I have come across that knows that faulty wiring shews that electricity is made of smoke.

Red to red. Yellow to yellow. Blue to bits !

Gibbo.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 6
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
On 21/09/2020 at 14:48, Tallpaul69 said:

Here is some real steam - be it ever so small!

Yesterday I took this photo at the reopening weekend of the Leighton Buzzard Narrow Gauge Railway.

Doll is running round her train in preparation for the 2.30 departure to Stonehenge.

And before you ask Clive, No she isn't a cut and shut from a standard gauge Caledonian tank!!

Cheers

Paul

LB Narrow Gauge - Doll-1.jpg

So that is what caused today's earthquake?

• Funny 5

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Gibbo675 said:

Hi Dave,

Make sure that you are cutting and shutting those Mk1's while listening to the music of odd bod female American iconoclasts and not shaggy haired Mancunians !

Gibbo.

Hi Gibbo

How about a Thai band

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
59 minutes ago, Dr Gerbil-Fritters said:

Some days the zen does not flow. 

All I have managed since the weekend is to fail to get my point rodding to work, sent money to a company known for not delivering goods, let all the smoke out of the chip that was to power my 4CEP and taken delivery of the wrong piece of electrickery kit cuz I must have clicked the wrong box.

F*$%ing stupid hobby anyway.

Hi Doc

Yeah.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 4

Must admit doc to having days like that. My worst problem is buying something then when it arrives forgot why I got it. 

Doesn't mean I don't find a use for them eventually .

You have blown a chip. I have cut a replica powered chassis In half, as I think one of these is overpowered for a two car DMU. Got to see if it still works yet.

And as to what I have on in the background whilst playing Trix jigsaw?

https://youtu.be/EO9OSmPkR38

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium
7 minutes ago, St Enodoc said:

They can't be a real Thai band. All the real Thai bands I've ever heard were in bars, trying to play Hotel California (very badly).

Hi Sainty

Maybe they don't play in the same bars that you visited. I got a heart thing from Puttida Sjb the trumpet player when I commented I enjoyed their Audiotree session on their Facebook page.

What about bars in Mexico? Three sisters.

Or pubs in Hastings? Four sisters.

OK Alison now lives in LA. I have gone off Amy even though she is cute, looks like she has an 'orse and that is a big no no from now on.

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
14 minutes ago, cheesysmith said:

Must admit doc to having days like that. My worst problem is buying something then when it arrives forgot why I got it. 

You have blown a chip. I have cut a replica powered chassis In half, as I think one of these is overpowered for a two car DMU. Got to see if it still works yet.

Hi Cheesy

Can't go wrong with watching ER EMUs.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
56 minutes ago, cheesysmith said:

As someone without a permanent work room it goes something like this.

Item A needs a part either for conversion or repair.  You order said part eventually which in due course arrives. At this point you (yes me too) generally know why you bought it but by this point everything has been packed away again (probably into different store crates than last time) so you can’t find the item it was bought to go with. So it goes in the bits box, later in a future modelling session you find the original thing you bought the new item for but now can’t remember which bits box has the item you’d ordered. When you finally do get both items together the necessary tool to do the job is missing.

it is all a bit like Dear Lisa’s bucket at times.

Edited by john new
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Maybe they don't play in the same bars that you visited. I got a heart thing from Puttida Sjb the trumpet player when I commented I enjoyed their Audiotree session on their Facebook page.

All the bars I ever visited in Bangkok that actually had a band - some had, er, alternative forms of entertainment - had a cr@p boy band trying, and largely failing, to play 70s/80s soft rock.

What about bars in Mexico?

Mexico? That's the lockdown state the other side of the Murray River from us (as in "South of the border, down Mexico way").

Or pubs in Hastings?

I'll ask No 1 daughter about those.

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

9 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Can't go wrong with watching ER EMUs.

Funny you should mention that Clive.

Fairly short video of 60s London termini trains for the FB users. Musical approval not guaranteed. But does include green ER EMUs, a Warship at Marylebone and a Bulleid slipping furiously at Waterloo right at the end.

https://www.facebook.com/624744497542925/posts/3839042826113060/?extid=kfrPnVKu9ZxbuitC

(It wouldn't let me embed the video, excuse the link).

Martyn.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Signaller69 said:

Funny you should mention that Clive.

Fairly short video of 60s London termini trains for the FB users. Musical approval not guaranteed. But does include green ER EMUs, a Warship at Marylebone and a Bulleid slipping furiously at Waterloo right at the end.

https://www.facebook.com/624744497542925/posts/3839042826113060/?extid=kfrPnVKu9ZxbuitC

(It wouldn't let me embed the video, excuse the link).

Martyn.

Hi Martyn

Cheers. I liked the Deltic at Waverley station. The Warship at Marylebone was during the very short period when New Street was being electrocuted and extra trains were running from Snow Hill. There wasn't the capacity at Paddington so some arrived at Marylebone via the GCR and GWR joint line.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

18 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

So that is what caused today's earthquake?

Fortunately (or not) depending on which way you look at it-No!

There were actually two earthquakes Monday morning!

Now this afternoon it is hammering down with rain.

This is the end of the emergency weather forcast.

Meanwhile back in my model land the dreaded Virus has got in the way of the building of my layout.

Being rubbish at woodwork, track laying and electrics, I had subbed the building of my layout.

However the guys down to do the job have decided that they cannot for the foreseeable future, start complex plans like mine for fear that they get ill and being towards the vulnerable end of the age spectrum, might not be able to compete it.

They have suggested a simpler plan that can be built in stages and which would be useable after they complete the first stage.

So I am in discussions with them to turn their suggestion into something that works for me!

We have got to the stage of them drawing up my sketch based on their suggested layout, to see if it can fit the available space. -Fingers crossed!!

I am doing research on a different part of the WR while I wait to see what they come up with.

More anon.....

Best regards

Paul

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

18 hours ago, Northmoor said:

Probably the same railway starting all their Simplex Motor-rails simultaneously. 

Thankfully they are only running steam at the moment, its difficult enough for the line to drum up custom, without scaring them off with Simplexes (is that the right plural for Simplex or should it be Simplexi???)!

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Hi Paul

I think this COVID malarkey has put a spanner in the works on many projects. There have been loads of people on here saying how they have attacked their "roundtoit" pile which has been great. But others who cannot get on with certain projects have sat back as they have nothing to report. I know I am missing visiting my club and being inspired by others, even if just chatting about trains and modelling. RMweb has been a good outlet but person to person contact is also part of our hobby.

Now as for Simplex locos they were built in Bedford. Who would associate Bedford with locomotive construction. 

• Agree 4

• RMweb Premium

Does anyone else follow anroar53's blog.

Do take a butchers, the southern end of the 1970s WCML, Watford Junction and Harrow and Wealdstone are the stations modelled. N gauge overhead locos, EMUs etc with the LNWR and LT lines to Watford running alongside. Some wonderful rolling stock LT tube EMUs, North London EMUs full length freight trains. It is really wonderful.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 4

On 23/09/2020 at 00:21, john new said:

As someone without a permanent work room it goes something like this.

Item A needs a part either for conversion or repair.  You order said part eventually which in due course arrives. At this point you (yes me too) generally know why you bought it but by this point everything has been packed away again (probably into different store crates than last time) so you can’t find the item it was bought to go with. So it goes in the bits box, later in a future modelling session you find the original thing you bought the new item for but now can’t remember which bits box has the item you’d ordered. When you finally do get both items together the necessary tool to do the job is missing.

it is all a bit like Dear Lisa’s bucket at times.

Pretty much the story of my life except the said part never turns up until after I’ve given it up as permanently lost and bought another one.:(

• Like 1
  • Agree 3
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

Not a lot to report today.

I have decided I might as well do a bit of research on my possible basis of Thame for the phase 1 of the latest plan for a layout.

Spent the morning with my 1961 London Division Local Carriage and DMU workings book sorting out what sets were used on the Oxford to Princes Risborough line through Thame. I also redid the set of books and GWJs I keep immediately to hand to reflect the change in location.

I am also toying with reducing the number of loops in the main fiddle Yard from 10 to 6 so that I can have a minimalistic model of High Wycombe in front of it.

HW is attractive because a lot of the trains through Thame also passed through HW, so I can run them through both stations and this will give me better utilization of the more limited fiddle yards. For instance the morning Hinksey to Taplow freight was known to spent two hours in Thame yard, an hour at Princes Risborough and another hour in High Wycombe, so can be on the layout for a scale 4 hours plus.

HW also has the prototype of what could, in my model, be a built in screen between the station and the fiddle yard, namely the huge blue brick wall on the up side!

However I am keeping this to myself for a while until I get some feedback from the layout builders on my changes to their plan to make a reasonable likeness of Thame!

HW would be part of phase 2 of the layout and probably is a year away. 

Another attraction of HW is that being the far end of the line from Maidenhead, I can portray a number of the same trains as I would have done for Lower Thames Yard.

Another bonus is that HW still exists and I can get there without too much trouble (bearing in mind I am carless (or should that be careless?)).

So I hope everyone's modelling is making progress, as it seems we might have some sort of lockdown for the next six months, so no excuse for not getting those models finished?

Cheers

Paul

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Today I went to Newark North Gate station, I met up with Mallard60022, great northern and 31A. Now we were going to met last week but it was rearranged for today, 'king cold and the wind blew my new syrup all the way to London.

It was great meeting with them, a wee bit of show and tell, swapping of models took place. Owing to the weather we all headed off home earlier than planned. First train journey this year, first meet up with fellow puffer nutters since March and first photos of trains this year.

a246.jpg.c91989fb250b1d9d1ad4a66ba570692d.jpg

Same unit took me to Newark and back to the fiddle yard.

a248.jpg.1b422a725c559bb091e1da97004ce0e5.jpg

My first photo of an  AZOOOOOOMMMMMEEEERRRRR.  All the worlds trains are starting to look a like.

a250.jpg.e9f0b70cd6e83f164fbf4e2ff35dc3aa.jpg

Possibly my last photo of a class 91 on the ECML.

• Like 15