Sheffield Exchange, Toy trains, music and fun!

Clive Mortimore

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Oh er.....this is odd this here change, never mind.

It is isn’t it!

But  I can do underlined and italic and  bold  from my iPad which I couldn’t do before.

Paul.  

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Please forgive the wavy edges, I have told you I cannot cut straight. Here is my bestest effort. You may also notice some new paper mock up buildings, these are me trying out some ideas.

Not to sure about the new way of adding images, I liked it were you could plonk them within the text.

I can't get the pictures in the order I want them. :notme:

a113.jpg.8b229a28487734d39f9d41f26f5e3d98.jpg

a110.jpg.856e5b7379654dd713efe7cd40cd009e.jpg

a112.jpg.953497646fd2e301794e41457d75a00d.jpga115.jpg.e6a0fadff91af014db467ea9eb88bbf3.jpga116.jpg.b5de2f28a19e0344da2ea9b954f89b93.jpga118.jpg.9a59429467b09d71f06a25d214889a25.jpga119.jpg.b2a9bc6d6d9a816402901c731739bfc1.jpga120.jpg.fd9dc8df10541ac13d84f3a426917255.jpg

a111.jpg

Edited by Clive Mortimore
  • Like 15
  • Agree 1

4 minutes ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Please forgive the wavy edges, I have told you I cannot cut straight. Here is my bestest effort. You may also notice some new paper mock up buildings, these are me trying out some ideas.

Not to sure about the new way of adding images, I liked it were you could plonk them within the text.

I can't get the pictures in the order I want them. :notme:

a113.jpg.8b229a28487734d39f9d41f26f5e3d98.jpg

a110.jpg.856e5b7379654dd713efe7cd40cd009e.jpg

a112.jpg.953497646fd2e301794e41457d75a00d.jpga115.jpg.e6a0fadff91af014db467ea9eb88bbf3.jpga116.jpg.b5de2f28a19e0344da2ea9b954f89b93.jpga118.jpg.9a59429467b09d71f06a25d214889a25.jpga119.jpg.b2a9bc6d6d9a816402901c731739bfc1.jpga120.jpg.fd9dc8df10541ac13d84f3a426917255.jpg

a111.jpg

Great set pics mate, Platforms look good to me, and you can still type between pics mate, I have on SMS.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
4 minutes ago, Andrew P said:

Great set pics mate, Platforms look good to me, and you can still type between pics mate, I have on SMS.

Thanks Andy ,

I will have a go next time. I use to like typing the post then adding the photos, looks like I need to add each photo in turn, do some more typing then add the next photo. But that lot didn't go in the order I placed them in the top one should be third and the last one second and that is the order I clicked on the thumb nails.

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium

After putting the platforms in place I had some ideas about the creature comforts of the passengers, shelter from the elements. Now most city termini are big bold places with an overall roof, when built they were a way announcing the railway was there and an advert to entice people to travel on that line. Goodness knows what went wrong with the old Liverpool Street station. Now we all know of a big layout at shows with an overall roof, all be it open with only the girders on display, but even they block the sight of the action. So a model of an overall roof is a no no. It is also a no no in that you cannot see the trains, get to them for uncoupling them etc. or see the lovely modelling on the platforms.

Next idea was to go back to just the front modelled, that was soon rejected as it would block my view from the control panel and in all honesty it would look pretty naff.

Canopies, Norwich Thorpe, Tilbury Riverside and Southend Victoria are examples of there being cover over the concourse and canopies along the platform. Another idea was the overall roof had been removed and new modern canopies installed, Bradford Foster Square comes to mind. Again they would block the view of the trains etc. to an extent and get in the way if I needed to get the hand of Vishnu to the trains.

So what I am going to do is pretend it has an overall roof, the side walls will be present, as will a series of columns down the middle to support the imaginary  roof, Visitors will be able to view all the life etc on the platforms and I will be able to get to the trains. Remember trainspotters do not look up to the train shed roof but at the funny things moving. Chufff Chuff, and Brummm Brummm

• Like 8
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Premium

I have far too many locos, but I am reluctant to get rid of them. Dilemma. 

I think I will go through the boxes and repack the locos into ones that can be run on the layout as layout locos (classes that would regularly run into Exchange). Ones that occasionally would be seen so could get a run. Finally those "What have I got you lot for?" Many of the last group have Hornby ringfield motors so they may be donating on a temporary basis their motors to my part finished MTK DMUs which might (highly unlikely) be finished, especially those that can run on Exchange.  

Regular classes of diesels would include, classes 17, 20, 24, 25, 30, 31 and 37. Sometimes classes 40, 45, 46, 47 and 48. So what do I do with classes 14, 15, 16, 22, 23, 27, 28, 29, 35, 41, 43, 51, 52 and 55, along with Hawk, Lion, DP2 and GT3? What do I do with piles of shunters when I need one now and then for the petrol tanker train when it is swapped? It could result in many unfinished projects being totally abandoned. 

Thankfully Pig Lane (Western Region) has a limited number of dedicated locos. 

• Like 4

Yay, platforms! Look good Clive, I know you're not happy with very fractional wavy edges but they're not bad at all, plus once you add some edging stones on top I doubt you'll notice. 'The emperor's new clothes overall roof' sounds like a good way of doing it too.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Clive Mortimore said:

I think I will go through the boxes and repack the locos into ones that can be run on the layout as layout locos (classes that would regularly run into Exchange). Ones that occasionally would be seen so could get a run. Finally those "What have I got you lot for?" Many of the last group have Hornby ringfield motors so they may be donating on a temporary basis their motors to my part finished MTK DMUs which might (highly unlikely) be finished, especially those that can run on Exchange.  

Regular classes of diesels would include, classes 17, 20, 24, 25, 30, 31 and 37. Sometimes classes 40, 45, 46, 47 and 48. So what do I do with classes 14, 15, 16, 22, 23, 27, 28, 29, 35, 41, 43, 51, 52 and 55, along with Hawk, Lion, DP2 and GT3? What do I do with piles of shunters when I need one now and then for the petrol tanker train when it is swapped? It could result in many unfinished projects being totally abandoned. 

I'm sure you'll still have occasions when Exchange is feeling a little geographically confused, you have quite a few AC emus as well, so don't do anything to hasty with them bud

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
32 minutes ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Similar problem. Am sorting the stock boxes so that I have one solely for - could run into my shunting plank prototypically - and then the rest. My Class 29, 40, 45 and 50 diesels, and umpteen steam locos will appear if/when it is a fun day and I'm ignoring things like weight limits or era accuracy.

Similar issue for stock to scenery match. It will be scenically 1975-1985 but stock from other eras will be run but not mismatched loco era to stock era.

I'm sure, with its triangle, Sheffield Exchange is as big a magnet for special trains as Salisbury is. 

• Thanks 1

I'm selling off my excess stock on the Bay of E.  Other folk can have fun with the stuff I never use, and I can use the funds for other things. 

I wonder how many folk will not reappear now the new site is up.  It's not to everyone's taste apparently.

It has gone a bit twitteryfacebooky for my liking.  I quite enjoyed a few days off from it.  Didn't do any modelling, too cold in the shed.  But I did sell a bunch of stuff, and more to go.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Sorted locos into piles of boxes, layout classes, sometimes layout classes, and not layout classes.

Biggest pile is the sometimes, mainly Type 4 1/2s, Type 4s and Peaks, why have I got 30 plus class 47s?

I ran a few locos that I don't normally run....hopeless all of them.

I had a butchers at my MTK DMUs, five will be goers as they are classes that would/could/should have been at Sheffield Exchange. I also found a missing Hornby Ringfield motor, already in the MTK class 114, and it ran well. That means I need four motors which I can steal from my cut and shut Baby Deltics.

grammer
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold
22 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Thanks Andy ,

I will have a go next time. I use to like typing the post then adding the photos, looks like I need to add each photo in turn, do some more typing then add the next photo. But that lot didn't go in the order I placed them in the top one should be third and the last one second and that is the order I clicked on the thumb nails.

Hi Clive,

It works the same way as before, the only difference is that you can upload multiple pictures at the same time, where as before you could only upload one, and previously you clicked 'Add to Post' now there is a small '+' icon displayed in the bottom left corner of each picture which you click.

So you can type the whole post out, and just leave a blank line for the picture.  Then upload the pictures, and go back and click on the blank line, then click on the + to add the picture you want in that place.  Any problems, drop me a PM and I'll try and help you.

Layout is looking good by the way!

Rich

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

10 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

It would be a pity to lose all the 23s....

14s were at Hull very briefly - one might appear at Sheffield as a trial. [Edit - Stewarts and Lloyd bought some as they could work over BR metals. The NCB also had some. One might also tiurn up at Sheffield as an industrial loco..] 28s might just appear - they worked the Condor on the Midland. 55 might just stray. DP2 made it to Leeds Central, GT3 is equally improbable anywhere on the system...

The hydraulics can go to Pig Lane...

In the 1980s I'm using RTC Derby as a "get-out clause" for a 29 and a Baby Deltic , but that doesn't quite work in the early 60s

Edited by Ravenser
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Hi Rich

I will give that a bash.

Back to sorting out me locos. Well I thought I would give the Heljan Clayton a run. It is as slow as a snail. I cleaned the wheels and the track as it wanted to stall at the slightest bit of dirt a Lima loco laughs at. I took it apart to see if there was a problem. Not really, there was a lump of grease in one the bogies that wasn't doing anything. I went to reassemble and what a faff. To take apart the tiny collar on the sprung buffers (with tension locks?) has to removed it is about 1mm long and 1mm in diameter. The buffer next and then body can come off. Putting every thing back I got the first collar on OK, easy peasy. Not the second one would it go on, at one point it disappeared but giving the loco a shake it fell out the body. About five attempts later it went ping...well that was that. I cut the spindle on the buffer short by a bout 1mm, a tiny winy drop of super glue. no longer sprung but who cares. I also pulled off the LEDs for the headcode lights, well they wouldn't go back and I don't like model lights so they would have come out at some point. Back on the track still slow but has been running for a bout half an hour and seems a tad faster. It is very controllable.

• Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
48 minutes ago, Ravenser said:

It would be a pity to lose all the 23s....

14s were at Hull very briefly - one might appear at Sheffield as a trial. [Edit - Stewarts and Lloyd bought some as they could work over BR metals. The NCB also had some. One might also tiurn up at Sheffield as an industrial loco..] 28s might just appear - they worked the Condor on the Midland. 55 might just stray. DP2 made it to Leeds Central, GT3 is equally improbable anywhere on the system...

The hydraulics can go to Pig Lane...

In the 1980s I'm using RTC Derby as a "get-out clause" for a 29 and a Baby Deltic , but that doesn't quite work in the early 60s

Hi

The Baby Deltics will go into storage, should I wish to run them swapping the Hornby Ringfield back is no problem. All the others will be run at least once a year like I did last summer. I don't need to have seven Deltics taking a wrong turning and ending up in Sheffield. I just have too many London end of the ER locos from Hanging Hill, so until I decide what to do back in the box and under the baseboards.

As for the (Great) Western Region diesels, I have enough blue ones for Pig Lane (WR) and don't need any more locos. I found with Pig Lane (ER) and hanging Hill I would take locos to a show, get them out the boxes on to the stock table and after two days put them back again without running them.

I always have the option of running what I want.

• Like 2