Fantastic little layout.

The only negative comment I could possibly make (and this is not a dig at you) is that the close up shots are not kind to the Peco points. Like I said, not a dig at you, but more a comment on the lack of r-t-r alternatives to modern standards.

Right I've made a start on a propper fiddle yard, simple transverse but with none of the runners although I have got some.

simple board with five length of track pinned down moving smoothly along some cut down planks of wood.

Had to make it higher to line up with the layout and where they join I sandwiched some T nuts and bolts so joined completely with no movement.

Also I'm working on a project at the moment to get a working excavator on the track, no swinging the bucket round just movment up and down the track would work

Up to now it's wired up for D.C. but with my layout being D.C.C. I'll need a chip in it soon.

It has been tested, not the smoothest of runners so added some weight

not complete but it will need a respray and some more work

post-23271-0-40709300-1406910512_thumb.jpg

post-23271-0-44784400-1406910522_thumb.jpg

post-23271-0-77186700-1406910530_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Hello well I have been very busy at work I've very nearly had no time to myself, however I have finished my railway excavator (yeah)

It's NOT pritty but it will be weathered so it will look better soon here's a few pictures to see what you think

oh and it's D.C.C. with a new motor so a smooth runner

post-23271-0-71554300-1410969749_thumb.jpg

post-23271-0-05085200-1410969766_thumb.jpg

post-23271-0-18978300-1410969837_thumb.jpg

post-23271-0-53381600-1410969853_thumb.jpg

post-23271-0-24579100-1410969872_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

Bloody hell mate...WOW...so glad you decided to join RMWEB as your layout is ace. I love all the little detail (and im a sucker for the little detail) and the lights you have added into all the vehicles. This is something i have been wanting to do for some time but dont have the balls or knowledge to try.

Looking forwards to seeing more photos shaun.

Terry

Thought I'd show off some of my stock & loco's

Here's my most exspensive loco my class 57 in Network rail from Bachmann

post-23271-0-05672100-1411310399_thumb.jpg

Next two MEA wagons been shunted by one of my many class 08's

post-23271-0-72211300-1411310517_thumb.jpg

post-23271-0-19666500-1411310548_thumb.jpg

This is my bargain of the century a JJA from Bachmann at guess this £12.00 now I can't find this anywhere cheaper and weathered, could you?

post-23271-0-17824200-1411310812_thumb.jpg

Some SSA scrap wagons now (well it wouldn't be a scrap yard without wagons for the job now would it)

post-23271-0-47017400-1411310924_thumb.jpg

Now I do have some class 66's but I couldn't get them running, here's one anyway

post-23271-0-27004200-1411311155_thumb.jpg

Here is my class 08's. The first is 08630 Hornby

post-23271-0-65315400-1411311248_thumb.jpg

The second is 08799 or Andy Bower Hornby

post-23271-0-26011300-1411311362_thumb.jpg

The third is 08683 a Bachmann

post-23271-0-45068500-1411311452_thumb.jpg

A pair together

post-23271-0-68067500-1411311492_thumb.jpg

A newest addition now I know it's a Roco But I don't know what it is but it looks good (look better when weathered)

post-23271-0-59036000-1411311663_thumb.jpg

I have many many many more but that all I can do today. Again tell me what you think and don't be shy all comments make me a better modeller

• Like 8

er well the first one was my attempt on the Bachmann but the other two E.W.S shunters I wasn't brave enougth so I got them done by The weathering works

The serco was bought weathered and so was the meas n the network rail 57 I have tried to weather my self on some loco's but others I think NO way not confident enougth to try

but pratice makes perfect so the more I try the better I get and the vehicles turned out ok

• 2 weeks later...

Well what can I say I received a message today from Neil Mason of The Little Layouts Company inviting me and my layout to exhibit at a exhibition in Peterborough next June

I got all excited thinking wow really me on the circuit as they say, looked at my layout and the first thing that came into my head was... It's been sat on top of my wardrobe for well over a month now, yes I've taken some pictures but (well that's enough of that)

anyway long story short I have had to turn him down for now

The date however is now stuck in my head and now I'm going to try and get any spare time I have now until at least April to sort all my idea's out and T.L.C

Starting with setting it up and a very very good clean of the track tomorrow and a look at the fiddle yard to see if it works or go back on my cassette idea which worked

• Like 3

That's good progress already Shaun, you will be ready well before June and your in good company because my łayout barton is in bits at the moment and not progressing quickly.

Hope you can make it.

Be great to pop your show cherry at our show next year.

I like this.

Maybe an overbridge such as the excellent WILLS would be better as an entrance / scenic break point instead of the track coming out of a hedgerow.

post-7252-0-36149400-1413020179.jpg

Excellent observation and good height of treeline - I considered modelling a section of Ipswich Fuelling Point but the trees alone would be far too expensive due to the height.

Although not really an admirer of road vehicles and figures it is interesting what you can do with the odd LED :)

Ian

I like this.

Maybe an overbridge such as the excellent WILLS would be better as an entrance / scenic break point instead of the track coming out of a hedgerow.

attachicon.gifmGtqxWDVovhCGqPt2cKwV7g.jpg

Excellent observation and good height of treeline - I considered modelling a section of Ipswich Fuelling Point but the trees alone would be far too expensive due to the height.

Although not really an admirer of road vehicles and figures it is interesting what you can do with the odd LED :)

Ian

Tree's expensive yes they are the woodland scenics olive green packs, there's about £100+ worth of tree's (that's a lot)

That's the intrest of the hobby it's not all about the train going round and round and I love it for that

also I was thinking of pipes going over the track just to split the scence up at the breaking point like this

post-23271-0-46425600-1413111967.png

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Well been busy but I done some progress on the layout I've cleaned the track, sorted a few bugs, got the points to work and have current running through them

Placed a new tank near the building and put a girder support at the scenic break so it to me looks better

post-23271-0-95632900-1414260962_thumb.jpg

The front is looking better with a black cloth to cover the legs all painted in black now the fiddle yard which now also works plus I can now operate from the back although the light will need covering (don't want to be blinded while running trains)

post-23271-0-12735400-1414261154_thumb.jpg

post-23271-0-17321600-1414261181_thumb.jpg

post-23271-0-70783200-1414261203_thumb.jpg

post-23271-0-31779600-1414261228_thumb.jpg

I have bought some more loco's for the layout a class 33 in wait for it Dutch Livery (ha ha)

post-23271-0-94301300-1414261320_thumb.jpg

A sentinel I will change slightly

post-23271-0-53249800-1414261380_thumb.jpg

Another class 08 in Freihgtliner livery damaged but will be weathered to look end of life

post-23271-0-26859200-1414261450_thumb.jpg

All need running in,chipped, weathered, numbered for controller, although I've done that already with a D.C.C chart with all my loco's addresses on so thats an easy job

And last of all I got myself a t-shirt with the layout and my name, how cool is that!

post-23271-0-45514000-1414261674.jpg

I've stated doing a running session with all loco's and rolling stock and started doing a (correct me if I'm wrong) a timetable to run to, but any advice would be helpful because up to now I have done one and will do a test run but I'm not sure time wise, a few questions came up...

1. How long is too long, if you had one that ran all day some people might never see all the loco's or stock running

2. do they have to see it all, I left some stock out and loco's out and is it a personal choice

3. does it matter if it doesn't run smoothly ( no scrap that one) does it matter to someone seeing me stick my hand in to sort anything out

and last 4. does all the above matter or is it me getting all excited

any advice please cause I would like to show off a video when I get round to it

• Like 3

Hi Shaun

Really lik your layout, will look out for it on the exhibition circuit!

My thoughts (from a show goer rather than exhibitor):

- I doubt anyone spends more than 10 mins at each layout so a timetable which lasts an hour or even less would be fine.

- Don't worry about punters seeing all your stock. The key is to try and keep something moving.

- Don't worry about the occasional 'hand of god'. It makes mere mortals with layouts nowhere near as good as yours feel better!

- So in answer to question 4, I'd say the most important thing is to enjoy yourself and not to worry.

Best of luck!

Cheers

PS the T-shirt looks very smart!

• Like 1

As an exhibitor, I agree that the lenth of time most people watch a lyout for is quite short so do not worry about making a timetable too complex or long.

Also I suggest keping the timetable rather fluid as then you will not be messed up by a failure or getting too confused with what movement is next, also some people like to ask to see particular stuff run.

Smooth running without the dreaded hand is much preferred and I have found with my layouts that issues with running is the one thing most likely to get people moving to the next layout so do try to get the track/wheels etc clean and have your lococ serviced ready for each show. Having said that, the occasional issue is almost expected so not something to stress about.

I totally agree with the previous posting, the most important thing is to enjoy yourself!!!

Best wishes

Simon

• RMweb Gold

I'd agree with the most important comment - enjoy yourself.

Keeping something running is important and as smoothly as possible - so clean track and loco / wagon wheels. Running DCC will help.

Make sure you try and get a few breaks, so a second operator is good.

Most visitors will only spend a few minutes at the front of the layout and a few will always walk past as they think no that there is nothing of interest to them. Not helped by having a small layout. Seems that quite a few visitors are drawn to large layouts. Don't be disheartened, it happens to all of us and something that you just accept.

However, those that spend time will be good and don't to be shy about dropping into conversations and visitors will always ask questions if you are open and willing to chat. The only downside is that operations can suffer!

Gets quite addictive exhibiting!

Just caught up with thread. I'm a big fan of small layouts and, personally, find myself drawn to them at exhibitions rather than large layouts.

I guess I'm always looking for inspiration to build my own small layouts.

This is the sort of layout I would spend some time watching. Love the attention to detail and little cameo scenes.

Great work!

Mal

I agree with Mud, AS LONG AS YOU ENJOY YOURSELF. thats what matters.

I am really looking forward to seeing this next year at our Show, the fiddle yard looks great and the controller on the stand is a great idea.

And if you need an operator to take over for a while if you need a break im sure i can free myself up on the day hahaha

The fiddle was so simple to build and no runners to install just runs along the wood

I put a bit of foam at the end just in case I ran on of my loco's to far, didn't want to smash all the detail parts on them

Still need a few things sorted but the date is miles away so I don't see why not, it will be fun to do

I haven't been brave enough to do all my weathering (again) so I've got Scott at The weathering works to do some for me but there are one or two I'm going to do myself

erm what else

my 57 Thunderbird wants running in then chipping actuality a few need running in and chipping there's a job at the weekend I can do

Ha I've got a todo list made up now for the weekend just hope I'm not working

• Like 1