I've started writing up a exhibition sheet for my layout so I can hand out at shows

One thing that has stood out for me is insurance, I've just found a group called Magnet

who insure model railway layouts weather it's your own personal layout at home or like me you intend to exhibit your layout

And it begs the question How much is your layout worth?

All of it and I mean all, so the funny thing is I've started working out how much all my layout is worth and it is a surprising how much I have stored on my wardrobe

Now I am thinking of insuring my layout for future event's

Have anybody used them before so I get an idea before I go with the idea

Now that is useful information for an exhibition manager

so they would know how many is coming, what they coming in and what the layout is

Thank you for that, do you mind if I use your information sheet as a base to write my own?

Please help yourself, I was invited to use the idea from another prominent RM Webber so please make use of it and I hope it works for you.

All the best.

Hi Shaun,

We were at the Little layout show last weekend, exhibiting our "Shelfordby" layout (we were in the corner to your left) and we had a brief chat. 

The one thing that struck me was the amount of detail you had managed to get into such a small space without it looking overcrowded.

Very cool!

Nice one for your first show too. :locomotive:

Cheers

Trev   :good:

• RMweb Premium

I've started writing up a exhibition sheet for my layout so I can hand out at shows

One thing that has stood out for me is insurance, I've just found a group called Magnet

who insure model railway layouts weather it's your own personal layout at home or like me you intend to exhibit your layout

And it begs the question How much is your layout worth?

All of it and I mean all, so the funny thing is I've started working out how much all my layout is worth and it is a surprising how much I have stored on my wardrobe

Now I am thinking of insuring my layout for future event's

Have anybody used them before so I get an idea before I go with the idea

Hopefully a show you go to should have insurance for your layout! The reason it's good to put the amount on your exhibition details is primarily so that the organiser can take account of this when arranging the show insurance - in many cases this will provide coverage for your layout from the time it leaves your premises, to the show and back again. You shouldn't be expected to pay for this yourself. If you do find an exhibition that doesn't have layout insurance then it's worth thinking twice about going!

It is crazy how much a fully-stocked layout actually costs when you add it all up, make sure you've got photographs of each item if ever questioned should the worst happen.

Sometimes at shows you also get asked to list certain items that are above a threshold, but you probably won't need to worry about this until asked by the organisers - normally there is a set of forms you get sent after they've decided they want to book you, along with finalising the fuel/accommodation costs.

Another thing to factor in is extra people for rest breaks - the average small layout will probably have a crew of 2-3 people, any less than two and it'd be a huge strain on your during a day but on the flipside if you ask all your mates along then you might start getting questions from organisers over whether they are really needed!

Hope this is useful, it is certainly interesting out there exhibiting, you meet a lot of 'characters' along the way!

• Like 1

Hi Shaun,

We were at the Little layout show last weekend, exhibiting our "Shelfordby" layout (we were in the corner to your left) and we had a brief chat. 

The one thing that struck me was the amount of detail you had managed to get into such a small space without it looking overcrowded.

Very cool!

Nice one for your first show too. :locomotive:

Cheers

Trev   :good:

Thank you yes I remember now yours was very detailed too

Hopefully a show you go to should have insurance for your layout! The reason it's good to put the amount on your exhibition details is primarily so that the organiser can take account of this when arranging the show insurance - in many cases this will provide coverage for your layout from the time it leaves your premises, to the show and back again. You shouldn't be expected to pay for this yourself. If you do find an exhibition that doesn't have layout insurance then it's worth thinking twice about going!

It is crazy how much a fully-stocked layout actually costs when you add it all up, make sure you've got photographs of each item if ever questioned should the worst happen.

Sometimes at shows you also get asked to list certain items that are above a threshold, but you probably won't need to worry about this until asked by the organisers - normally there is a set of forms you get sent after they've decided they want to book you, along with finalising the fuel/accommodation costs.

Another thing to factor in is extra people for rest breaks - the average small layout will probably have a crew of 2-3 people, any less than two and it'd be a huge strain on your during a day but on the flipside if you ask all your mates along then you might start getting questions from organisers over whether they are really needed!

Hope this is useful, it is certainly interesting out there exhibiting, you meet a lot of 'characters' along the way!

Aha I thought about  rest breaks lol

post-23271-0-48623100-1434466606_thumb.jpg

I know what I've got and how much each is worth, I haven't totaled it all up yet in price but that's a good Idea to take pictures of each item just in case

I think it is worth thinking about cause at the end of the day its is an expensive hobby to be in and it be a shame if it were damaged or lost/stolen

I would imagine the bigger shows will have insurance again it's just something that crossed my mind and was thinking of doing

Yes fuel and accommodation costs I've been thinking about that, a single day like when I did The little layout show isn't a bad drive at all even though it was 2 hours (lovely scenery) and in terms of fuel I reckon about 45p per mile to a show (working out what Neil paid out for me It worked out about right in fuel and mileage)

I wouldn't know about a two day event I reckon a simple B&B would be ok again it's all price wise I can't get my head round some of it

For me personally it would be a privilege to show off my work to the public and after the time I had with Neil and at his show the end of the day I enjoyed myself and had nothing but good comments about the layout

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

Evening everyone

I have decided not to make anymore improvements yet on Entering the Yard as I'm in the process of maybe rebuilding it into a much, new and improved layout

Most of the things you see on the layout now will one day moved onto the new layout so the yard itself won't change, nor will the track plan either cause it works for me and it helps if all my soldering is improved on this one too

Some big changes will be made too and after an idea of my dads that I thought would be awesome to see but I wont re veil it until it's nearly finished

Will be lovely to see and will add movement to the layout even if there's no trains running (hint)

After looking into the Idea and planning how it would work will be added onto the layout but will be a separate thing to see itself

I will still try to do any exhibitions and may even reappear next year at Neil's show (if Neil asks) this Idea is still on the baseboard at the moment, I do have all the track ready and the wood so I could make a start now and take some picture (maybe start a new page)

Only decided now cause I now have the space to do so at a leisurely pace and not on the kitchen table

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

A very busy afternoon building the new baseboards, yes I said Baseboards Although It will still be a similar size layout when finished for the Mark 2 verson of entering the yard

Didn't realise the time at all started about 1pm and I've just tieded up ready for tea and the 6 'o' clock news is on telly

Love wood work

Next I think a bit of track laying tomorrow

Today the boards are all complete stopped for a rest now then later on a bit of track laying oh wait I said that yesterday oh well never mind

will take some pictures but I will be covering up some parts cause I still want it to be a surprise when finished

Got my cork ready to be laid too and thanks to an idea of Richard's of Everard Junction some magnets for the kadee couplings to place down under the track

I think this approach is better than my three link coupling and easier to work with, there's nothing wrong with three link coupling but they are a pain to couple up

some pictures soon I promise

Here is some pictures of the new baseboards all done ready for some track laying

As you can see I've blanked out some of it because I'm keeping it a secret but I have taken some pictures of that too for the future

post-23271-0-26239200-1436719315_thumb.jpg

post-23271-0-42761300-1436719336_thumb.jpg

post-23271-0-06481300-1436719358_thumb.jpg

Unless you can guess what it is I will keep it under wraps until it nearly finished

But I will still take pictures of all of the layout including that bit of it just to show how I did it in the future

Some tea now then a bit of track laying

There will be a fiddle yard built at a later date or I'll use the one I'm using now using on the current layout at the moment I haven't decided yet

Other news the track has now some droppers wired up tomorrow point motors and a bus wire then it if all gets done this weekend a test run

Here's hoping

• Like 1

Wires all connected up now, all tested and working

And all works, no stalling either the points too

All tidy now too not like before and it's the first time it's tidy wow

Thank you to Richard at Everard Junction for the idea of using the magnets for the kadees

It works a treat, funny how little things amuse little minds

If I can get the surprise sorted out I could start on something esle

No plan to go to so it's what I think is next important

Here is a few pics

post-23271-0-38652300-1437244687_thumb.jpg

post-23271-0-93493600-1437244724_thumb.jpg

• Like 2