Marty's O Scale stuff

hartleymartin

I've now put some grey primer onto it - I cannot find the tan spray I was planning on using to paint it though! I have lots of Green spray left over from painting the hudswell clarke, so I might use that on the doors and bargeboards. I need to find some brick red/brown colour. That'll get sprayed on, and then I'll use some cream-coloured paint for the pointing of the bricks. I've a battleship grey paint which I might use for the slate roof, but I'm wondering if slates are normally darker. We don't really have roofing slates in Australia - we tend to use either clay tiles or corrugated iron.

• Like 1

Did some more painting this afternoon. The SHG was painted TS-48 "Gunship Grey" and an ex-MR bogie coach I acquired was given a freshen-up paint job on the underframe and roof. lots of paint chips on the chassis and quite a few on the roof have been covered up with spraying more of TS-48 "Gunship Grey" and a can of Tamiya's Semi-Gloss Black for the underframes.

The ex-MR coach I bought for $50 a few years ago at an exhibition, along with a companion brake-3rd coach. I cannot say too much favourable about their assembly. Excess glue everywhere and the paint is way too thick on the coach body - probably done with a 1/2" brush! I freshened up the roof and the chassis, and I will replace all the glazing and the state of the body paint will hopefully be partly disguised by some weathering. Perhaps the thick paint is prototypical of an old coach that has gone through several owners and repaints?

I think the companion to the ex-MR bogie coach will need to be an ex-LSWR Road Van, or perhaps something that O conjure up from Light Railway photos and a bit of "imagineering."

For those of you whom are curious, the window between the two passenger compartments is for a toilet compartment. Trips in Australia could be very long indeed! There were toilets for the passengers, but as far as I am aware there was no toilet provided for the guard, although later brake vans had a toilet bowl under the seat in the guard's lookout on one side. At least the poor guard had a stove to keep warm and to make some tea!

I've placed the order for the three afore-mentioned car kits, and for one of these as well:

tamiya32562reviewbg_1.jpg

I think the average cost of these kits (including postage) has come to about $25 each, so about 15 pounds in UK money.

All of these vehicles will be turned out in civilian versions, although I am rather tempted to acquire a second one of these "Tillys" and perhaps have a WW2 Home Guard scene - yes, I am aware that the "J. Jones" Butcher's Van would be more appropriate!

A British Light Railway scene would be depicting circa. 1936, but these vehicles would also be at home on a 1950's Australian Layout.

Just in case any of you were confused, I do both British Light Railways 1930s and New South Wales 1950s. The locomotives are common to both, and so are many of the scenic items.

Edited by hartleymartin

Unfortunately, only one example of your Hudswell Clarke is known to have come to Australia in 1926. As far as I am aware, it didn't carry any number until later in life, working the sidings for Bunnerong Power Station. I certainly have not been able to track down any photos of it!

My thoughts on future locomotive acquisitions are along the lines of 2x Dapol Terriers (1 to become an NSWGR N67 class) another Manning Wardle 0-4-0, and under the MAYBE list: Hudswell Clarke and Fowler Diesel. My major locomotive acquisition will be a NSWGR 30 class tank locomotive and (if it ever becomes available) an NSWGR 20 class tank locomotive.

• RMweb Premium

Interesting selection of larger NSWGR locos. As I've suggested before, the Beyer Peacock 2-4-0T which formed the NSWGR F class, SAR P class and Isle of Wight Railway mainstay would be a highly attractive small loco, ideal for both UK and Aus light railways. But apparently not selected by Ixion - unless it is the SAR P117? Someone bound to make one at some point.

I am out of modeling until the wrist injury on the ice this week recovers so have to speculate! Guess this is not a problem in NSW!

Dava

The 20 and 30 classes are comparatively "large" to what the UK is used to in tank engines.

The 20 class were originally intended for mineral traffic, being a 2-6-4 locomotive with small 4'0" driving wheels. They were later found to be very good at suburban working, but the various tank engines in use for suburban working were all replaced by the 30 class from 1903 (at the time they were the "S Class") There is a sole survivor of the 20 class. They were actually a grouping of 3 sub-classes, which had minor variations, one group being a rebuilt for the earlier 19 class 0-6-0 tender locomotives, with which there were many parts in common. The distinguishing difference is the spacing between the driving and leading coupled axles.

2029a.jpg

The 30 class are a 4-6-4 locomotive with 4'7" driving wheels. Introduced in batches from 1903, there were eventually 145 members of this class and they became the mainstay of suburban trains and later on some rural lines. 77 of them were rebuilt into 4-6-0 tender locomotives when Sydney was progressively electrified and the railways found that they had all these relatively new locomotives surplus to requirements!

3137a.jpg

It is rather hard to find a comparable locomotive in the UK, but perhaps the Stanier 2-6-4T would be a rough equivalent? These were big locomotives for their time, and it is amazing to think that the last one wasn't withdrawn until 1972. That honour goes to 3085, which has been waiting for it's turn to be restored to running order ever since:

3085g1.jpg

• Like 2

The main reason I want these two tank engines is because they are quite versatile in terms of modelling potential, particular the 30 class. They were used on suburban workings, but also on many rural lines such as Camden, Kurrajong, Rogan's Hill, Castle Hill, etc. The 30 class were also regularly used on the Moss Vale to Wollongong line which was a line through the middle of nowhere but provided an important freight link, which avoiding having to take goods trains through the Sydney Suburban network.

So, with the following carriages (of which I will eventually acquire one of each) they can be used to represent services in a number of locations: FO End Platform car, CX Side-Door Lavatory Composite car, CCA - an end platform car with a guard's/goods compartment, the Independant FR 2nd class carriage used in many places to add capacity to passenger trains, the HCX - Side door composite carriage with guard's compartment and goods compartment.

The above carriages cover many scenarios for rural and cross-country lines. 

Did some work this evening cleaning up a body casting for an NSWGR "S Wagon."

I bought about 4 or 5 of these body castings quite cheaply several years ago as "factory seconds" from the manufacturer. They were rejects because various parts were damaged when they were removed from the rubber mould. On this particular casting, the two ends, now replaced in white were the damaged parts. I think I originally intended to model this as a wagon with a load covered by a tarpaulin, so this damage would not have mattered. Several years down the track I have a much more keen eye for these things and decided that I could model it as an open wagon with the damaged areas repaired.

These kits are very easy to make. In fact, the bulk of the work is fabricating all the brake components from various sizes of brass wire.

11040377_10153034188611251_6907465978247

• Like 1

Three S Truck body castings that have been cleaned up and repaired. Repairs ranged from replacing broken-off pieces of the body castings with styrene strips, sheets and sections as required, gluing in an extra layer of styrene where the body castings were too thin (and at risk of breaking) to running some superglue into cracks/splits in the body castings. My only concern is that I was certain that I had 5 of these...

The one on the right has had it's side doors cut out to make a shunter's truck. I don't know when that particular conversion was done, but there was an article in Australian Model Railway Magazine some years ago about the prototype wagon. It will also have step brackets, foot-boards and extra handrails fitted in addition to the standard S Truck fittings.

11027931_10153036747156251_3806928039399

• Like 2

There are multiple variations on the common S Truck. There were three different types of door strapping, two types of W-iron (fabricated and punched), early and late forms of the underframe - distinguishing feature is the type of web stiffener above the spring shackles and at various times they were fitted with 8-spoke, 4-hole or plain disc wheels. It was not unusual in later years for an S wagon to have combinations of early and late features as repairs were made to them.

Taking stock of my NSWGR O gauge collection today:

1513773_10153038383416251_28612291817436

H Class Manning Wardle, No.1021
Hudswell Clarke 0-6-0 (Bunnerong Power Station No.1)

HG 2-compartment Guard's Van - kitbash/scratchbuild, incomplete

D wagon, "early type" - kitbash from an NBR wagon kit, incomplete
3-plank dropside wagon, Some older D wagons were of this type. Slaters MR kit, modified to resemble NSWGR Prototype
NSWGR Work Van - scratch-built, incomplete
J&A Brown Brickworks Wagon - a 2-plank drop-side wagon scratch-built and completed years ago, but painted in NSWR colours to resemble the "A Wagon."
Non-Air Coal Hopper - O-Aust Kit, just needs a couple more parts, painting then it will be complete - kit-bashed brake gear replaces kit components
SHG Brake Van - Kit-bash from an O-Aust BHG kit. Needs decals, couplings, glazing and weathering then will be complete.
S Wagon Shunter's Truck - Kit Bash from Waratah Kit
2x LV Louvred Vans - Waratah Kits
3x S Wagons - Waratah Kits
2x K Wagons - Waratah/Century Kits
U Wagon - Kit-bash from K wagon and RU kit parts - before the proper U wagon kit became available
RU Wheat Hopper - Waratah Kit - from memory just needs couplings, paint and decals.

I also have

2x MLVs (one 36' and one 40' type),
a BF Bolstered Flat wagon
a KF flat wagon (seriously have no idea where this has gotten to!)

another 4-plank wagon done up to resemble another type of D wagon,

a scratch-built semi-freelance Brake Van,

another HG Guard's Van Scratch/Bash,

an FR Independant coach kit - needs major work

I've now realised that I don't have either a CV Covered Van or a CW Cattle Wagon (we were really creative with wagon codes, eh?) and these will both be essential acquisitions in the future. an SCA Petrol Tanker may also be on the future acquisitions list.

• Like 1

Having mentioned some big tank engines, I think that I should share the South Maitland Railways 10 class 2-8-2 Tank Engines. 14 were were built by Beyer Peacock from 1911 to 1925 for hauling coal on the privately-owned South Maitland Railway. In Australia, most railways are government-owned. In fact, New South Wales was the first colony of the British empire to have a state-owned railway in 1855! One distinguishing feature is that all 14 members of the class are preserved and are protected by the National Trust of Australia. I have been long resisting the urge to kit-bash one from an NSWGR 50 class kit. The design of the SMR 10 class is basically a tank engine version of the 2-8-0 50 class standard goods locomotive of the NSWGR, but the boiler was based on the NSWGR's 32 class locomotives (they are extremely similar though.)

SMR30a.jpg

• Like 3

Having mentioned some big tank engines, I think that I should share the South Maitland Railways 10 class 2-8-2 Tank Engines. 14 were were built by Beyer Peacock from 1911 to 1925 for hauling coal on the privately-owned South Maitland Railway. In Australia, most railways are government-owned. In fact, New South Wales was the first colony of the British empire to have a state-owned railway in 1855! One distinguishing feature is that all 14 members of the class are preserved and are protected by the National Trust of Australia. I have been long resisting the urge to kit-bash one from an NSWGR 50 class kit. The design of the SMR 10 class is basically a tank engine version of the 2-8-0 50 class standard goods locomotive of the NSWGR, but the boiler was based on the NSWGR's 32 class locomotives (they are extremely similar though.)

SMR30a.jpg

I have always liked these locomotives. I have scale drawings in a great book about the coal industry around Newcastle NSW and have been tempted to scratchbuild one. As it happens, I have too many other things to do that are ahead in the list.

So I've done a little bit of work and I'm Australianising the Kittle-Hobbies Signal Box (now sold by Atlas, USA of all people). I'm taking my inspiration from Picton Signal Box, but I decided to use a slightly different style roof. The original roof of the signal box (plastic, representing a slate roof) will become the base (or should it be the top?) of a station building for my British Light Railway "Witts End." If I may be a bit clever, I might make it appear as a station building on one side and a house on the other so I can also place it on an Australian layout. Who knows? If it works it's brilliant!

The signal box is really too big for any layout that I would ever build, so I may donate this project to a group building a more suitable layout.

Anyway, the Signal Box:

1622170_10153040488741251_37012609603769

And the inspiration:

Picton_signal_box.jpg

Edited by hartleymartin
  • Like 2

Oh, and every NSWGR Layout from 1945-1983 needs a stack of S Trucks! 

I spent the afternoon fitting the 18 brass tie-down rings to each of the wagons as well as the four handrails on each. I had not originally planned on batch-building them, but it looks like things will pan out that way. The top wagon has it's doors cut out as per a prototype that was converted into a shunter's wagon. The rest of the stack shows the three styles of door strapping that appeared on the S Truck fleet.

12893_10153040491651251_6273348890106587

Edited by hartleymartin
  • Like 7

I could have sworn that I had 5 of these body castings...

Don't worry Marty you have moved a few times could turn up in a location totally unrelated to your train stuff.

On the S truck your build of the Shunter's L truck will this help.

X S truck now L774 cover truck Albury yard

post-14985-0-01955600-1425524875_thumb.jpg

And this is what you can do with a LCH hopper Underframe.

post-14985-0-10260600-1425524955_thumb.jpg