Marty's O Scale stuff

hartleymartin

A little more progress on the HG Guard's Van. I find that a light grey primer coat shows up any problems in the surface which make it easier to correct at this stage. The outer ends have gone on, and one of the guard's lookouts. The lookout is made from 3 layers of 1mm styrene sheet filed and sanded to shape. The passenger compartment needs the window frames made up and then I only have to make the roof and the underframe. Somewhere in my collection of half-built models I also have a 2-passenger compartment version of the same brake van, made from a hacked up SHG/BHG body.

13590_10152975058481251_6575474325538751

• Like 3

The SHG which I started before the Christmas-New Year's modelling hiatus has recieved a similar treatment.

I broke a part of the guard's compartment door off, so this has been replaced with a piece of scrap stripwood which was about the right size. The primer coat revealed a couple of gaps in the guard's lookout, which have recieved some Tamiya putty and a light sanding. This will get another coat of primer tomorrow before the rest of the body is painted dark grey, or as the NSWGR called it "Gunmetal Lacquer." I've decided that it isn't worth the bother to add any interior detail, so the interior will remain in the grey primer.

1456011_10152975082611251_88035180209353

All going well, I'll have a nice little collection of vehicles to show at the next Australian O Scale convention later this year. I doubt that the Independant FR Coach will be ready, but I reckon that the SHG and HG will be done. I have a nice collection of little goods wagons and a Manning Wardle which will nicely depict a construction train.

Edited by hartleymartin
  • Like 2

The Hudswell Clarke is fully reassembled for the first time in a few months. I finished the green spraying of the body using Tamiya rattle-cans. This did start life as a black locomotive!

Turns out to look rather a lot more like "Wissington" on the Mid-Suffolk Light Railway than I had ever planned. I don't know if I like the green frames. I'm leaving mine in factory finish black. The coupling-rods will get a re-spray with bright red (I might do the bufferbeams at the same time). I think that just MAYBE I'll respray the sandboxes and MAYBE the wheels will become green too. There are lots of green Hudswell Clarkes running around out there, but mine is just a little bit different.

A very kind fellow RMWeb member made me a set of turned brass buffers with larger scale 16" heads. I've also added some small details like the two strips of styrene on the backsheet either side of the coal bunker door.

10968551_10152977483071251_8848452997850

8579324481_ca83846dcd_b.jpg

• Like 7

Hi Marty great to see your models progressing so well. I like the car side that you have what parts did you use? To piece it together.

It is interesting that we get more interest on RM web with non British Modelling than we do on the Australian O scale modelling forum that's why I stopped posting much on it and removed most of my modelling photos as a member made some comments that they didn't appreciate the idea that we I should encourage actual modelling when I thought "Wrongly" in there opinion that is what the forum was for encouraging actual modelling.

One of the best things about RMWeb is I havn't found any one yet that wants to keep modelling a secret hobby they all are just interested in modelling and will look at any scale or prototype even if it's not what the have chosen to model and provide encouragement, suggestions, new ideas plus the people on here are all very positive.

Hopefully I will see you in March with a lot of models to display

As if you. Me and my dad and Chris sim didn't put models on display there would have be nothing to see 4 or 5 out of 50 people attending displaying models is not that great a ratio.

So Marty keep up the pace with the building and lets see if we can put on a top display of models,

I better get my finger out and finish my SHG its body is painted the decals are on one side I managed to loose the the ones for the other side and I need to put the canvas on the roof before I fit the roof detail. I have some interior parts for my SHG that came from a slaters LMS kit that I left the interior out of so I could fit in the SHG.

Once again the models look great I look forward to seeing them, you have made great progress in the last few Months keep it up.

I think it's because to most RMweb members that these are unusual models. They look sort of British, but not quite.

One side of the chassis finished. I need to fit all these footboards to the other side as well. The original instructions that came with the kit are not great. They were intended more as a scratchbuilder's aid than a "kit" in the way we think of kits from Slaters, Peco, etc. I've based a lot of this model on known facts about SHGs and a few prototype photos from the era. The supplied underframe equipment looks nothing like the prototype. The bogies are from ModelOKits (from the former Waratah Models range), the battery box was pinched from my FR coach kit (will need to obtain another one in the future). Not seen are the couple of details on the other side. I've added an air cylinder and a dynamo. They are not from the original kit either, but I think are from a huge bag of whitemetal castings I bought off ebay years ago for about $10. Once the footboards are in place, this area will be hardly seen, and I agree with David Jenkinson that it isn't worth bothering too much about underframe detail.

10980724_10152979611246251_3819010061222

Marty I found this image via a Google image search some time ago when I started building my Kit.

may be of interest

SHG 22576. ?? May be the number hard to work out the last number could be 1 5 6 ?? As not that great image quality hope it helps

post-14985-0-40672900-1423094812_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

One thing I did notice when looking back for the photos is that the Oaust foot or running board brackets are not correct as supplied, I built my chassis the same as you have, now looking at it with the photo, the steps are wrong the top running board should be at the same level as the soul bar of the Chassis some thing no one would notice until side by side with a photo.

Photo of my 2 vans

The one on the left is the Oaust and the one on the right is the FOX models to compare same kit I belive just a decade apart in production whilst the Oaust steps look nice. After looking for the photo in the last post I now see the error I won't be going and changing now but the next one will do correctly.

I have a few more photos saved of Orignal LHG, SHG & BHG versions if you need or just do a google image search.

post-14985-0-86918000-1423099572_thumb.jpg

Need to get some correct bogies for the FOX SHG

Orignal LHG in near to Orignal condition.

post-14985-0-39512300-1423099965_thumb.jpg

Edited by SMR CHRIS
  • Like 1

The "ball" bird preventer / speak arrester on the chimney would take a bit of modelling... Maybe an etched glass ball?

Best

Simon

Well, mine is supposed to be Bunnerong Power station No. 3, which is believed to have been painted green, but I don't know if any photos are available of this locomotive. It later ended it's days on Catherine Hill Bay Railway, an isolated Colliery line. This line also happened to operate No. 1021, an H class Manning Wardle which I also have. They also operated two ex-NSWR 18 class and at some time had No. 27, an Avonside 0-4-0. If I manage to acquire an 18 class, I might be compelled to model Catherine Hill Bay, who knows?

The LHG/BHG/SHG is being redeveloped with new patternwork. I think the old kit was based on old Ron Fox masters which were dimensionally okay, but were really more of a scratchbuilder's aid than a "kit" as we think of them today.

I've been trying to figure out what was the deal with the sole bars and the footboards. I can get the footboards off without too much trouble as they are only held on with spots of superglue. I think I'll have to straighten out the vertical section of the bracket, trim them to length and them glue them on again. With the footboards slightly higher they'll clear the axleboxes on the bogies when they swing.

I bought my bogies from Model-O-Kits - they are the former Waratah Models 2SE or "G Type" bogies. They are very good castings with only minimal flash to clean up. Being whitemetal/pewter they keep the weight low down, exactly where you want it on a model like this.

I would avoid using the North Yard wheels supplied. They are 22.5mm diameter, which is about 38.5" rather than the 36" used on the prototype. I've got Waratah wheelsets because they were supplied with the bogies, but these have slightly finer flanges than brands like Peco or Slaters and can be a little less forgiving on poorly laid track. If there is enough freedom of movement in the bogies they'll stick to the track, but if your bogies are a bit stiff, they'll ride up and derail.

Marty I found this image via a Google image search some time ago when I started building my Kit.

may be of interest

SHG 22576. ?? May be the number hard to work out the last number could be 1 5 6 ?? As not that great image quality hope it helps

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

That picture has given me a good idea of how to improve the SHG model:

From left to right:

1.) Supplied footboard bracket

2.) Straighten out the top of the bracket

3.) Cut to length

10959845_10152980931971251_2088788251461

And yes, modified this way, the bogie axle boxes clear underneath the footboards so there isn't any need to make additional modifications.

Edited by hartleymartin
  • Like 1

having spent a minute or two messing with gamut/contrast and sharpening on the number on wooden side, it looks like 22576

edit - ref image in post #84

Big Thanks to Ray mw for the detective work.

Great for Marty he can number his model as per the photo and know it is right.

I rather like the LHG/SHG/BHG family... very nicely proportioned little vans, and so useful for branchline work. Martin/Chris - the O-Aust Kits site suggests it's off sale at the moment, have you heard anything different about its' availability (either SHG or BHG)?

The Orignal kit "FOX models" was very old so I guess the Orignal masters may have got past there use by date I actualy have the Orignal Fox models "display model" given to me directly by Ron Fox the one on the right in the photo post with the 2 models and the mouldings are much crisper.

The new kit may be close as in the images for the BHG (on Oaust site) the castings are quite different to the orignal ones Martin and I have the roof goes the full length before it went between end panels.

The Chassis is different too and has slots to allow the step brackets to do what Marty is doing now and is very much crisper than previous.

The Owner at Oaust models ( Peter ) is great to deal with I regualy order detail parts via his web site but if you need anything else Peter will talk with you over the phone or you can order over the phone details on the Oaust web site. I prefer the North yard wheel when ordering from Oaust but have I have started using the Big river model wheels avalable from Waratah/ ModelOKits that Martin mentioned before.

See the photo below of the new model

note the sole bar slots

post-14985-0-77986100-1423116434_thumb.jpg

Great work on the rework of the steps Marty what can I say a just in time post with the photo and comments on the difference your rework's will produce a more correct model.

Edited by SMR CHRIS
  • Like 1

I had to get a little creative with the re-working of the supplied steps brackets. In fact, one side has O-Aust brackets and the other has Waratah Models brackets, which I believe were intended for the PHG kit. I have dozens of whitemetal and brass castings in a box, collected over the years, and it certain helps to have all these tiny detailing components stored away for scratch-building, kit-bashing, etc. I need to get a photo with a close up of the door handles on the SHG so to see if I have anything closer to the prototype than what is supplied in the O-Aust kit.

I believe that the BHG (as it was marketed by O-Aust) was a very popular model and that the original moulds or masters are well past their use-by date now. I've had one reasonably good set of castings, which have been made up into the SHG and years ago I got a set of rejects which I cut up to make a 2-compartment HG van body (still somewhere in the massive collection of boxes.) Quite a few of my models are still in my mother's garage, as I moved out about 14 months ago, and am still getting set up and settled into the share-house. The house master has asked me to move into the slightly smaller room (about 24 inches shorter than my current room) because he wants to turn my room (the largest in the house) into a 2-person shared room. Thankfully I am only moving into the next room!

I've put most of the SHG together now. I just need to get a good photo, but the daylight is gone. I only need to add a few more details such as the brakes to the bogies and all the little handrails before we hit the paintshop and fit the window glasses. I've used quite a few components not originally supplied with the kit. I've used the main body, roof and floor castings, but I've made extensive modifications and minor improvements. Quite a bit of the original strapping was removed and replaced with styrene strip. This is where the moulds were really showing their age. It isn't a perfect model, as the sides are not perfectly straight and there are quite a few fudges to get things together, but it should look quite good on a layout!

*edit*

On a closer inspection of photos, I've made my right height slightly high as the axleboxes of the bogies run underneath the footboards, but this doesn't bother me. Without raising it slightly, I would not have been able to fit the bogie brake gear, and it probably wouldn't have gone around curves. It's a compromise (like all modelling) but I'm well past the stage of wanting nth degree perfection. I want model trains that I can run on a layout!

Edited by hartleymartin

SHG van on it's wheels. Just have to add the brake gear to the bogies and then all the little handrails and such to the sides. I've also realised that I need to add the little steps to the passenger end. Not quite sure how I will make those just yet. I've decided to leave the interiors in primer grey for now. I may spray them a cream/tan colour, as I intend to fit lighting to this model. No fancy DCC pick ups, just an LED in each compartment and a small battery pack in the goods compartment, with a slider switch under the floor.

10411361_10152981282061251_5763397336718

10407310_10152981282221251_7668888149850

Edited by hartleymartin
  • Like 4

Martin you have done good.

Those steps look right on the money now, I was never realy sure about the steps before and somehow even when I found the photos overlooked them until today! When I posted it up for you and it was plain as day, if I do another BHG or SHG I will do what you have done as looks so much better.

Congrats on the speed of progress today also.

I have to say the size of the S/BHG is just right for branch line modelling I find when shunting the small yard on the layout the "Long"LHG about the length of 3 S trucks often restrict's move movement and gets in the way.

This is about the best I can do for the hand rails and door handles, hope this helps.

post-14985-0-12350800-1423141381.jpg

Edited by SMR CHRIS

• RMweb Premium

The SHG is a really attractive, useful light railway vehicle. The UK did not have short bogie vehicles like this on SG lines and tended to use mainline castoffs in 4, 6 wheel or long bogie types. This is much better.

Dava

Australian railways always had a rather unique way of doing things. Passenger accommodation in nearly all Guard's Vans was one feature peculiar to thos country.

The NSWR in particular always seemed to have a perpetual shortage of Guard's Vans and it was not unusual to see normally goods vans on the end of passenger trains. We also made extensive use of various independent carriages to add seating capacity so carriages such as the FR, CX and various end plaform carriages (looking like something out of a wild west movie) would be added to the front or as a tail swinger at the last moment.

My long term carriage acquisition plans are to get a variety of independent carriages which can be marshalled together to form a believable formation.

Edited by hartleymartin

If you want a few more BHG/SHG pictures, SDS Models, who are doing an RTR model in HO have a few nice prototype pictures:

http://www.sdsmodels.com.au/bhgx.htm

Now, to make the steps that went onto the passenger compartment end... 

I'm thinking that I'm going to have to make these out of brass or similar, because I doubt that styrene will stick well.

shg589.jpg

This photo conveniently shows the windows that used to be in the Guard's end, but these were generally removed from about 1955. The location of the coupling hook is interesting. I used some left over PHG bufferbeams to represent this style of bufferbeam, although it isn't 100% correct, it's near-enough and much better than the one originally supplied with the kit.

shgy.jpg

I'm also having some doubts about how accurate the door handle castings are from the kit, but the only others I have are from a Midland Railway coach. I don't have the time to travel to Dorrigo to check up on them either!

Edited by hartleymartin

By the way, the LHG/SHG/BHG was only 30'0" over headstocks - the shortest of the bogie Guard's Vans. There was another BHG that didn't have lavatories, but was 36'0" long and ran on 2AA passenger bogies. This would be another good kit to have and would provide some variety. The PHG is only available in short production runs and I'm not sure what the story with the MHG will be.

A friend of mine posted some excellent photos for detailing the SHG on facebook. This is one of the advantages of being "online" as a modeller, as it is possible to share information much more readily. If it were not for this information sharing, I would be going back and changing the model AFTER painting it.

10986682_10153546887811124_5268512025006

10313521_10153546887831124_7227486979163

10985243_10153546888036124_1730304222286

Edited by hartleymartin