Marty's O Scale stuff

hartleymartin

Thank you most kindly for the photo of L774! Most of my AMRM's are stored at a relative's house so I don't have access to all the articles. Perhaps this is a case for me to invest in online versions of the magazine. I am aware that they are digitising the whole collection as many back-issues are now unobtainium.

I have a sneaking suspicion that the prodigal S wagon body is sitting on a bookshelf somewhere in my mother's house...

Edited by hartleymartin

Hi Marty

Your welcome re the photos

My L774 is at about the same stage as yours your conversion have the door sides cut out and bits of plasticard and brass with the kit parts ready to make up the steps and some rail for the inside Peco code 100 was going to try this and if it looks to big will try some code 70 but only have a small amount of this may end up trying some Peco code75 I think the rails covered the floor were used for extra weight for braking assistance and they were covered over, I guess with checker plate, not sure of that but doesn't look to be wood as is thin.

The LCH chassis shunter's truck will get done when I get back to it one day

I have one of those plastic RTR-- LCH's that bergs did, that I got cheap as is very poorly built and needed new wheels and metal bearings the ends of these and the Middle were fitted with lots of steel and plating for the same reason extra weight.

Edited by SMR CHRIS

Don't worry Marty you have moved a few times could turn up in a location totally unrelated to your train stuff.

On the S truck your build of the Shunter's L truck will this help.

X S truck now L774 cover truck Albury yard

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

It looks like the wagon has been weighted with old rails. Like so many other modelling details, I would love to have been there just to get another look at a slightly different angle!

It looks like the wagon has been weighted with old rails. Like so many other modelling details, I would love to have been there just to get another look at a slightly different angle!

To right Marty

I think an issue of byways of steam had some photos of a S truck converted to a L shunting truck, will have to find the issue but are currently packed away

I have rail with my kit to do this will probably use some thin plasticard sheet to top it

But as you say would like to have a truck to get photos of details for modelling closer than a gestimate.

Yes, I'd like to figure out a bit more of the details with the S truck conversion. However, it seems that there is always "a prototype for everything" and one of the most famous phrases on modelling the NSWGR is that "The only thing standard on the NSWGR was the gauge!" Variations abound on everything!

You might have to play catch-up because tonight I put it up on it's wheels, put the step brackets and footboards on as well as added the for upright grab rails! I also laid some strips of scale timber (about 10" x 4" or similar) across the deck of the S wagon as it appears that the rails are sitting up on something. I imagine that this is to help with floor drainage to prevent rotten deck timbers. I then stuck down two lengths of Code 100 rail.

If you're doing it in O gauge, Code 100 or Code 125 rail would be most appropriate. Code 70/75 would be closer to HO.

I'll take a picture in the morning when I have some decent light.

Edited by hartleymartin

post-14985-0-01955600-1425524875_thumb.j

Other observations to make about L774:

Note the punched W-irons - you can tell by the way they have an arch-shape just under the sole-bars.

Note the disc wheels - I just happened to have a very nice set of slaters disc wheels in my possession. I think this is the first model I have ever made with disc wheels as I have always used 8-spoke or 8-split-spoke wheels. I'll need to build a model with the 4-hole type of wheelset one of these days to represent the full range.

Note the couplings - a shunter's truck should have automatic couplings with transition links on both ends. One may find it useful to use a Kadee coupling on one end.

I wish that I had another view of the deck. As far as I can tell it is weighted down with old lengths of rail, but is there any other decking laid on top? Chequer plate perhaps? Drat it! Where is that sheet of Slaters Chequer plate I bought 3 years ago!

Despite still having a dozen unfinished kits, I've got my eye out on what I may purchase next. I had largely ignored the ModelOKits NSWGR G Wagons as I had believed that they were too modern for my modelling era, but it turns out that they were around in 1954! My Modelling Era is nominally "late 1950s/early 1960s" but in realised encompasses almost everything from 1945 to 1972. This kit may prove a challenge to my little Manning wardle, as it is mostly cast pewter! I suppose I should fight fire with fire and hurry up with the new chassis for the 14" Barclay, which is basically a giant lump of cast pewter (it could probably out-haul a 50 class and give the AD60 class garret a run for it's money!)

w-img_2938.jpg

7233888174_5eeb4dafcf_b.jpg

• Like 1

And of course, I'm now being tempted by the BMT. This is a picture from SDS Models site, although I'm fairly certain that it is either a Howard Armstrong or Ron Preston photo. I have a set of drawings, and the tank is simple with flat ends. The diameter is 7'3" which is near enough to 2" that it doesn't matter. So a trip to the hardware shop for a length of 2" pipe, some 1/4" Evergreen C-channel and styrene strips, the bogies, buffers and couplings are off-the-shelf items... Should only take a few weeks to turn out one of these, although probably not before the end of 2015... I still have to acquire a CV, CW and ICV kits!

bmtw12.jpg

• Like 2

post-14985-0-01955600-1425524875_thumb.j

Taking a closer look at this photo, I think I can see evidence of decking on top of the rails, but it is absent on the middle of the wagon where the doors were. I would love to track down a few more photographs of this prototype - surely there was more than one of these S wagon conversions made!

I have a Slater's MR 3-plank dropside wagon which I've done up as an NSWGR type by fitting Turton Buffers, but I may have just found evidence of the prototype. This one has Cammel buffers packed out on timber blocks, but I do know that other wagons so-fitted later had Turtons substituted. Such a shame that I can see no trace of a number! The presence of a westinghouse brake through-pipe is what makes me certain that this is an ex-NSWGR wagon, as private railways typically did not have airbrakes. It is probably a very early wagon judging by the style of buffers and the presence of brake gear on one side of the wagon only. It has parts of a van body loaded on top of it.

6047622661_a7a506698d_b.jpg

Edited by hartleymartin
  • Like 1

A bonus photo Marty. L273

Looks like this one has no rails on the floor just the timber deck and timber load securing rails across the door posts to keep items from the center floor area also there is a photo of this truck on a branch train out of Dubbo as the leading vehicle

post-14985-0-45353100-1425686376_thumb.jpg

Well, I'm stuck with L774 because I've put the disc wheels on!

I believe that the rails across the floor are also probably to stop various items from rolling out the doors, which would explain the lack of any decking timbers in the centre section. There appears to be some sort of timber on L774 laid out in a similar manner to L273 to allow shunters to store certain items in the ends. Exactly what, I have no idea!

• Like 1

And after discovering that S&D Models supply a number of detailing items for this locomotive (quite cheaply too) I'm increasingly tempted to have a go at scratch-building this Manning Wardle 0-6-0. I've drawn on the later style cab on top of a published drawing with the earlier style cab. The larger cab will make it easier to hide the motor and gearbox (and flywheel) - There was an article published in the 1980's about building a locomotive for under 50 pounds. I'm not sure what that translates to in today's money.

10258296_10153046475466251_8255375360114

• Like 1

Well, I'm stuck with L774 because I've put the disc wheels on!

I believe that the rails across the floor are also probably to stop various items from rolling out the doors, which would explain the lack of any decking timbers in the centre section. There appears to be some sort of timber on L774 laid out in a similar manner to L273 to allow shunters to store certain items in the ends. Exactly what, I have no idea!

As you have committed to L774 and I havn't done any more than cut out the doors I will do this version and Number L273 as I am sure at some stage we will have a running session and we will then have different versions.

Even more interesting is that this one L273 has a spoked wheel set and a Disc wheel set.

The use of this truck may have been more than just for shunting.

The other photo of this shunter's truck is with it on a branch line goods train out of Dubbo so may have been used for fettler's supplies or station supplies, point grease, signal lamp oil etc.

Well, "L" is supposed to be for the "Locomotive Branch" and "W" for "Ways and Works." However, it seems that the distinction became rather blurred by the 1950s and anything carrying an L or W code was non-revenue service stock. It seems quite likely that these nominally "shunter's trucks" were used on per-way jobs.

I'm going to probably put some general fettler's odds and ends into the wagon to decorate it a little. Perhaps even the shunter's bicycle!

That website reckons about 140 pounds.

If you wanted to save a bit on components, you could use Hornby wheelsets. The ones of the 4F are 5'3" in 4mm scale - 21mm diameter, 3'0" in 7mm scale. They have 16 spokes, so cut out each alternate one and you have a nice 8-spoke wheel. About 15 pounds from Peters Spares.

I've done another little bit of work on my Tower Models 14" Andrew Barclay.

Whilst it works well enough, I wasn't satisfied with the supplied Brass U-channel chassis. For one thing, it's only 19mm across and uses spacers on the axles. Scale width of locomotive frames is about 4'0" or 28mm. This isn't really possible on Fine7 locomotives, and it seems that most aim for about 25-26mm which is much closer to scale.

So, I'm waiting on 7/8" frame spacers to arrive in the post and I have a strip of 1/16" thick 3/4" wide brass strip from K&S which will become the new frames. I've decided to go with thicker frame material as the locomotive body is a very heavy lump of pewter that will probably distort 1/32" frames over time. It might work, but I decided to be on the safe side, and in any cast, I've already got the material!

The supplied U-channel frame is also too short! The frames should reach right up to the bufferbeams and on the model this doesn't happen.

There is a slight problem on the footplate and bufferbeam castings where these would interfere with the fitting of full-length frames. The first photo shows the problem. The locating lug is 32mm wide it needs to be under 22mm wide (7/8") to fit between the frames of my new chassis. On this first picture you can see where I've marked notches showing how it has to be narrowed.

The second picture below shows the final result. Inboard of the measured marks I have drilled two 1mm holes which go through the lug and the footplate and inserted 1mm brass rod which has been bent into an L-shaped pin. After this, I filed down the locating lug on the bufferbeam to just under 22mm in width and filed off the two small locating lugs on the footplate. The bufferbeam is then attached to the footplate, using the two 1mm pins to guarantee correct location and Zap-A-Gap Medium CA is used to glue them in place. Once the CA is set I turn over the footplate and file down the 1mm brass pins level with the top of the footplate and finish it with 400-grade sandpaper. Once painted, it should be virtually invisible.

The plan is is use a small spring one end placed through the coupling hook and the other attached to the footplate casting so that the bufferbeams do not carry the load. In the pictures you can see that I have also replaced the solid buffers with sprung ones. I bought these for a song on ebay. They have whitemetal buffer housings and turned steel heads which are retained by what looks like a 12BA or 14BA nut. They are not Andrew Barclay type, but industrial locomotives received all sorts of modifications throughout their working lives. The bufferheads are about a scale 15" in diameter.

BEFORE:
11057386_10153052179716251_4846801826349

AFTER:

11061766_10153052179771251_5348057227619

Edited by hartleymartin
  • Like 1

Another little distraction has crept in. In the back of my mind was a great curiosity about a water-tank wagon (called a "water gin" on the NSWGR) that I could not trace drawings for. A random potter around the Powerhouse Museum online photograph collection provided the answer:

The British Australia Oil Company had a fleet of these tankers which were eventually acquired by the NSWGR and put into the "L" and "W" series (Locomotive branch and Ways and Works Branch non-revenue stock) it appears that they were used as water tankers for railways in remote locations.

http://www.powerhousemuseum.com/collection/database/?irn=367679

190566.jpg

http://www.powerhousemuseum.com/collection/database/?irn=374430

190567.jpg

I reckon that a cut-down slater's kit might do the trick to represent these tankers:

https://slatersplastikard.com/linePage.php?code=7056

7056.jpg

... unless someone knows of another suitable tank wagon kit which I might hack up!

Edited by hartleymartin

Martin, if you were considering making more than one, it might be worth considering finding an appropriate diameter pipe/tubing and rapid-prototyping a "dome" and end-caps (put them in polyurethane if you need multiples). Have to be competitive to buying a whole Slaters kit to hack up. I'd be happy to help you out with drawing said parts up to have printed in exchange for a bit of said requisite tubing, as I'd like to make up a pair of the NSW shorty bogie oil tankers one day for myself. Remaining elements for bolsters/strapping would be straightforward scratchbuilding tasks. I wonder if something like a wooden underframe for an LCH or similar small wagon would be appropriate? At a casual glance, it looks to be a broadly similar construction style and wheelbase.

Nothing goes to waste when I hack things up. Chances are most of the left-over pieces will be recycled into another project before too long. The original plastic roof from the signal box is now becoming a station building for my British O gauge light railway "Witts End."

A (somewhat grainy) picture of what will become the train to Witts End. Ixion Hudswell Clarke, repainted, a freelance 4-wheel coach using Peco side components and various odds and ends, a slater's 3-plank dropside wagon, and a short brake van loosely based on Maitland Coalfields prototypes. It's just a little bit "Titfield Thunderbolt" at times!

11046973_10153059198726251_2623861216280

• Like 5

A (somewhat grainy) picture of what will become the train to Witts End. Ixion Hudswell Clarke, repainted, a freelance 4-wheel coach using Peco side components and various odds and ends, a slater's 3-plank dropside wagon, and a short brake van loosely based on Maitland Coalfields prototypes. It's just a little bit "Titfield Thunderbolt" at times!

11046973_10153059198726251_2623861216280

A delightful train. This is what 0 gauge is all about.