further quiries on 9F mainline ban

sir douglas

hi,

I already know why 9F's have been banned on the mainline, because of raised check rails, but something that i would now like to know is, Why are the check rails raised?,

and something mentioned on the nat-pres forum, why havent there been any tests or experiments to see how check rails actually effect 9F's? instead of just being (maybe) over cautious, but "better safe than sorry" is always the a good thing. in this day & age we have computer softwares that can perfectly model the ride of a 9F over a raised check rail so "no 9F was harmed in the making of this"  :)

Regards, Sam.

• RMweb Premium

I suspect that it is due to the potential overthrow that would bring the flangeless centre driver over the raised part of the check rail.  IIRC there was a problem with I think Evening Star when it encountered a raised checkrail for the first time.

Jamie

I think it may be more to do with getting two section of flat-bottom rail close enough together to create the flangeway without machining too much rail away to be able to do the job effectively.

I don't recall ever seeing a flat bottom checkrail, but then again its not something I really look at.  Looking at some point photos the lower flange appears to be missing on one side in the relevant places though.  This is what they seem to do there days, not so much a rail as what appears to be U or box section steel.  The best explanation I have seen of the function of check rails as well as some technical data in laymans terms is in the RAIB report into that 47 that derailed and caught fire in Manchester, it is definitely worth a look.

Check_rail_2.jpg

I think you''ll find the raised check rail that can cause trouble is on the K crossing on diamond crossings and double slips. This is a casting on modern pointwork. I haven't seen raised check rails on plain pointwork in the UK, but then I haven't really been looking as I don't go by train very often.

I think you''ll find the raised check rail that can cause trouble is on the K crossing on diamond crossings and double slips. This is a casting on modern pointwork. I haven't seen raised check rails on plain pointwork in the UK, but then I haven't really been looking as I don't go by train very often.

I agree it is the cast crossing in the centre of a diamond. I bet most modelers have had a vehicle decide to change tracks on a diamond rather than go straight. The big railway has similar potential problems but tighter tollerances usually keep things OK. I assume the raised lip gives greater guidance when using smaller wheels. Some container waggons use wheels more suited to a roller scate to achieve a low profile for transporting the bigger boxes

I wonder what would happen if a flanged tyre was added to the currently flangeless wheel? Certainly the loco would be restricted in the radii it could run on (the weight diagram shows 4.5 chains 'dead slow' for a standard 9F), but what radii would a fully flanged 9F be able to negotiate? Anyone have the maths?

Regards

Manchester Metrolink has raised checkrails on all pointwork and I believe it is still intended that the same will apply on sections shared by the tram-train in Rotherham.  This is because (simplifying somewhat) railway flanges are too big to run on tramway street track, so tram wheels have a thinner flange so their back-to-back is too large to be compatible with railway switches and crossings.  Hence the Metrolink and tram-train wheels increase to the heavy rail thickness above top of rail and this part can engage with a raised check rail. 

It is interesting to note that raised checkrails are standard on the Continent including routes used by preserved 2-10-0s with flangless centre drivers. 

I agree it is the cast crossing in the centre of a diamond. I bet most modelers have had a vehicle decide to change tracks on a diamond rather than go straight. The big railway has similar potential problems but tighter tollerances usually keep things OK. I assume the raised lip gives greater guidance when using smaller wheels. Some container waggons use wheels more suited to a roller scate to achieve a low profile for transporting the bigger boxes

Here's an obtuse crossing with raised check rail right where you don't want it... Hellifield..

post-4034-0-51886100-1408483630_thumb.jpg

• 7 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

Could it be that Network Rail have put the restriction in place as they are worried that the castings could be damaged as the flangless wheel set rides over it, thus costing THEM MONEY.

UTTER RUBBISH!

It is a FACT that if you try and run a flangless wheel over such castings there IS A VERY GOOD CHANCE IT WILL DERAIL - possibly with catastrophic results. Would you want to be the one standing up in court saying to a judge "well even though we know it a derailment risk we decided to ignore it to keep steam enthusiasts happy", particularly if said derailment end up causing serious injury or death.

What most mainline steam enthusiasts seem to forget is NR is there to provide a transportation service for todays passengers and freight - not pander to the needs of steam enthusiasts, whose trains are underwritten by NR anyway (in the sense that the delay minutes NR can pass on to charter operators are capped with NR having to make up the difference, which could be considerable thanks to how full MOST sections of our railway network has become).

Also what may or may not happen in Germany is IRRELEVANT - DB don't run, or specify the trackwork over here, NR do and as such we have to go with what they say.

Now while I don't want to see steam banned from the national network, it has to fit within the constraints of the modern system as far as I am concerned. Therefore if NR says no to flangeless wheels, for sound engineering reasons then that should be the end of it.

The ban on 9F's on lines with raised check rails is not new. The rule came in very soon after they were introduced. Some earlier bullhead points had raised check rails. There were less of them once the 9F's started to appear. I have a document lurking somewhere listing lines they were allowed to use on the GNGE. Basically main running lines and loops, to and from shed by approved route and 'NOT IN SIDINGS AND LINES EQUIPPED WITH RAISED CHECK RAILS'

Any heritage line that entertains the use of these magnificent machines has to look closely at their own permanent way. Check rails do not wear down compared to running rails. A stock rail worn to near scrapping size can be alarmingly lower than the check rail which is the same as having raised check rails. More than one heritage railway has found this out the hard way...

• 6 months later...

Interesting that the notice bans 9fs from pick up goods. Leicester Shed had no problem using them on the daily pick up duty that visited various goods yards along the South Leicestershire line and up the Enderby branch . It had been a 3F or 4F job, but towards the end of steam anything could turn up, including Jubilees and Royal Scots. 9Fs were not at all uncommon.

These  days  a  9f  would  not  need  to  access  tightly  curved  lines  when  out  on  the  main  line.

It  ought  to  be  possible  to  fit  a  flanged  tyre  to  the  centre  drivers  to  permit  its  use.

Coupled  wheelbase  21' 8"  (for  comparison  a  P2  is  19'  6")

Of  course  it  would  need  a  detailed  study  to  ascertain   what  curves  it  could  handle  and  what  tyre  profiles  would  be  acceptable  for  the  wheelsets.

The  power  available  would  be  extremely  good  but  wheel  diameter  would  limit  permitted  speed  for  the  mainline   which  is  less  desirable  for  practical  use. 

The  power  available  would  be  extremely  good  but  wheel  diameter  would  limit  permitted  speed  for  the  mainline   which  is  less  desirable  for  practical  use. 

I'm not sure if speed would be an issue, given that steam is now limited to 75mph and there are plenty of instances of 9Fs going faster than that . One of Grantham's 9Fs was supposedly timed at nearly a hundred whilst substituting for a failed Pacific.

Speed would definitely be an issue. Under current regulations, a 9Fs five foot diameter wheels would limit it to, I believe, 50 mph. which gives pathing issues over many lines where only gentle curves are to be encountered. Former exploits in BR days have nothing to do with it.

Archived