Kirley's Workbench

kirley

Back to the BCDR 6 Wheel Oldbury Third coach.  Lots of fiddle work with door handles grabs etc.

post-12350-0-98760700-1498057277.jpg

Not sure what goes here (see arrows)

post-12350-0-06559700-1498057286.jpg

post-12350-0-68016400-1498057373.jpg

post-12350-0-19005500-1498057382_thumb.jpg

Also these 3 items, any idea what are and where do  A, B & C go?

post-12350-0-48168700-1498057358.jpg

• Like 2

Some of those bits are the alarm gear on one of the coach ends - pull the emergency cord and they let air in to the brake system. Parts C go in to the arrowed holes (having first folded the part back on itself to give you a double thickness). I suspect part B is intended to be folded up and fixed over the hole in the centre of the end. 

A few detail photos of similar coaches that might help explain this:

https://www.hfstephens-museum.org.uk/images/stories/topics/east_kent_carriages/ekr_4.jpg

http://www.spellerweb.net/rhindex/UKRH/SECR/BluebellBrake.jpg

http://www.preservation.kesr.org.uk/images/coaches/secr/130812-No-177_570px.jpg

Edited by pete_mcfarlane

Kieran, that is going to be a nice looking coach and you have a number to build? with no instructions! no fear there mate! Seriously, have you photographs? there must be some in the books on the County Down. I have just browsed Desmond Coakhams books Belfast& County Down and Irish Broad Gage Carriages and I also  think Pete is right about parts B&C but if A is door stoppers there must be twenty. All the pictures seem to show a stopper on the door and one on the carriage beading. But the beading is straight so, do you have to cut out that tiny little tit of brass??? If you do there must be a better way. Think I'll sleep on it!

Regards Mick

Kieran, that is going to be a nice looking coach and you have a number to build? with no instructions! 

Mike, I have another two to build once I find out where all the parts go.  Photographs of Oldbury coaches are rare and I have tried all the usual sources. To add insult to injury one of the alarm gear pieces ('C') "pinged' and after an hour of searching I've given up, but at least I have a tidy work bench for a short while. I have given up on the 'A' part, just no idea.  

These are the only bits outstanding.

post-12350-0-44513200-1498236770.jpg

My guess is one is the arm for the Vacuum cylinder and the other I don't know so I'm going to plough on regardless.

Mike, I have another two to build once I find out where all the parts go.  Photographs of Oldbury coaches are rare and I have tried all the usual sources. To add insult to injury one of the alarm gear pieces ('C') "pinged' and after an hour of searching I've given up, but at least I have a tidy work bench for a short while. I have given up on the 'A' part, just no idea.  

These are the only bits outstanding.

attachicon.gifIMG_1468.JPG

My guess is one is the arm for the Vacuum cylinder and the other I don't know so I'm going to plough on regardless.

I think you've guessed correctly for the right hand one - it looks like the arm for the vacuum cylinder.

The left hand part goes in the centre of the brake shaft, with pull rods to the brake gear at either end of the coach. I'm not familiar with County Down 6 wheelers, but most 6 wheel coaches don't have brakes on the middle axle.

Hopefully this photo of the underside of a SR BY van makes things a little clearer. 

post-1187-0-31465800-1498246080_thumb.jpg

Hello Kieran,

I do apologise for not commenting but I have indeed been reading this thread quietly in the background and the work your doing is just superb, keep it going!

Nelson

+1

That coach looks like she'll be a beaut when finished.

Andy you got me doing some research but the only thing I could find in Des Coakham’s book on the BCDR Oldbury Thirds was, 

“No. 106 – 111 had 6 compartments with alternate shoulder-height half partitions", but I can't find any reference to the partitions in the 5 Compartment 3rd's or the Brake Thirds.

To quote Des Coakham from his article in the IRRS Journal No38 Oct 1965(which i assume everyone has by their bedside) "Passenger stock of the BC&DR" as you said 6 compt 3rds had alternate full partitions,5 compt 3rds had full height partitions,brake 3rds guards compt extended in1943 the 4 3rd compt have alternate half partitions.Hope this helps Andy.

CIE Skeleton Wagon

Completed two of Provincial Wagons kits.

attachicon.gifIMG_0967.JPG

The skeleton structure has been well represented on this kit so it's a pity that it will be covered up by its container load.

Kieran and friends

Just to say that I will shortly offer just the underframe of the double beet as that is, effectively, a CIE 27xxx series flat. Obviously, with 27xxx transfers so that you can letter it up successfully.  This will, of course, be without the skeleton, so that you actually hid nothing, but disguise the fact that it simply isn't there!

Then, just add a container to your taste!

I plan to do the side door CIE container by the Autumn.

Leslie

(Provincial Wagons)

BCDR 6 Wheel Coaches.

​Two under-frames completed.  They took me a third of the time it took me to do the first one, it really helps when you know where parts go.  I even found sole bar strengtheners that I missed the first time.

post-12350-0-91899000-1499281795_thumb.jpg

post-12350-0-26156800-1499281805_thumb.jpg

Now to tackle the two bodies.

• Like 1