Henley-on-Thames - GWR in the 1930's

Neal Ball

• RMweb Gold

Hi Neal,

Your chuffs are still not right, I'm afraid. There should be four per revolution of the motion. You have it set at 2 per rev, I think.

You can hear that every fourth chuff is accented. That accented chuff should occur when the motion reaches the same position every time.

The sound sequence she went through on the rolling road was weird. I guess a full sequence of all the samples is built into the chip for testing and maybe that got triggered by accident.

I've synced a few Zimo decoders without too much trouble but I'm now trying to sync up an ESU Loksound 5 in a Hornby King and that is being a real pain in the neck! Abject failure so far. I don't think I get on with ESU decoders...

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, Harlequin said:

Hi Neal,

Your chuffs are still not right, I'm afraid. There should be four per revolution of the motion. You have it set at 2 per rev, I think.

You can hear that every fourth chuff is accented. That accented chuff should occur when the motion reaches the same position every time.

The sound sequence she went through on the rolling road was weird. I guess a full sequence of all the samples is built into the chip for testing and maybe that got triggered by accident.

I've synced a few Zimo decoders without too much trouble but I'm now trying to sync up an ESU Loksound 5 in a Hornby King and that is being a real pain in the neck! Abject failure so far. I don't think I get on with ESU decoders...

Thanks Phil, I will continue to play with it...... I didn’t realise it was going to be such a frustrating process!

2 hours ago, BWsTrains said:

It should be 4 chuffs per revolution so some way to go yet!

Thanks Colin, at least with 6109 I feel I am getting somewhere.

I have also tried to get the “blow off” function to work when the loco is running, but for some reason, it’s only set to happen when the loco is stationary... even then it’s not very loud.....

I will film 6132 this morning with its cough and splutter and see how I get on.

Failing that, I will be on the ‘phone to You Choos! I am also going to phone Hornby about the nut on the coupling rod.

Thanks again for your suggestions, Neal.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
48 minutes ago, Neal Ball said:

I am also going to phone Hornby about the nut on the coupling rod.

That problem has been mentioned several times on the Hornby Prairie topic.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, checkrail said:

Finally made time on Sunday to catch up with all 40 plus pages of this thread.  Lovely layout Neal, with a lot going on.  Now following so I don't miss any more.

John C.

Thanks very much John. 

Although I do feel I am falling behind in my updates - there's a few things been going on over the last couple of weeks!

I need to update the Prairie story and also the corner / Pendon pub. There's a lot to talk about.

Thanks again, Neal.

• Like 5
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium

A bit of grass!

I have decided - as another filler job, that all my grass needs replacing!

903138270_Meadow1r.jpg.cf0879a90e3273f27c196129d2e0eab1.jpg

This was the meadow area between the allotment and the coal yards.

The area closest to the edge, originally had the switches for the point motors, but soinmce moving across to the Gaugemester point controller they became redundant.

PVA glue has already been applied to the right and will go across the rest of the terrain. 

The area to the left in the vivid green is the new grass mat laid to get a decent level at the back.

My first application was the Woodland scenics mixed variety - dark green:

1421340803_Meadow2r.jpg.559ccbd31fd6d7c9fc726be2888d25e3.jpg

Masking tape and paper is used to protect the tracks from the static grass. Plywood is used to protect the point control autofrog underneath!

Further layers have been added of light green static and also the straw static grass. - all from the Woodland scenics range. 2mm and 4mm

This is the back road before being treated with static grass:

Back road 1r.jpg

Edited by Neal Ball
  • Like 12

• RMweb Premium

This area I am calling "The Meadow" - its a bit overgrown, unkempt etc. Just needs some shrubs and then fencing off to complete the scene.

After the static grass has dried:

1110670795_Meadowfinishedr.jpg.98de54a403c9ec371e095b7cc44f9be1.jpg

The meadow seen in context at the railway:

635347394_Meadowareafinished2r.jpg.67c66912fa0b6370a9295c5f8cf3acc1.jpg

And finally the back road finished - fencing still to complete. In reality this area also had a large advertising board, which I am not sure I will put in, as it will be a scene blocker! - Sometimes its good to look round such an item, but an advertising hoarding isn't exactly photogenic from the back.

154359578_Backroadfinishedr.jpg.80329f02c3fb7eaa307f589b42c31371.jpg

• Like 15

• RMweb Premium

Plus a look over at the pub scene. There is still a lot of work to do in this area, but its coming along nicely:

165388121_Pubarear.jpg.4ea53d0f87f63f5380def3926d5e6c8e.jpg

The old name is off, but as yet I haven't done the new name.

I also need to add the sign posts and another stile.

93315457_Pubarea2r.jpg.4484ef488427da3ec329beb47eb9e0b0.jpg

I've added some grass tufts along the edges of the fence, these are from Vallejo - I know I could also make them, but the pack was an impulse buy when I was in the model shop in Murcia:

1740880250_Grasstufts.jpg.262c955c5e81fef4a478dc1cb678c6a0.jpg

I believe Gaugemaster have also started to sell grass tufts.

• Like 10

• RMweb Premium

Next on the list for the static grass system will be the area around Mill Lane bridge (the scenic break).

I had made my own bridge ages ago before we moved, but never finished it off and have never been happy with how it looked. (Hence why you dont see photos of that area).

I've downloaded the Scalescenes girder bridge and have started work on it already. I thought it was going to be a quick little project, but I seem to have been diverted at the moment! https://scalescenes.com/product/r012a-plate-girder-bridge/

22658166_Scalescenesbridge.jpg.38e174097627c02282b94cb80665acd5.jpg

Last week was hectic with showing friends round properties in Spain. This week, I'm building an outside bar for the garden!

• Like 6

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Progress is slow!

But there is progress none the less. Not only with the bridge, but also with my two Prairies.

It just seems that at the moment, there is a lot of other work going on around the house. Added to which, we can get out more and as we get used to our freedom, its also having the confidence to go out. This weekend, we have been out to see live music for the first time..... That was odd as its a popular pub, but with the lack of tourists it was very quiet.

Our "new normal" rules are very strict. There is no standing in a bar; tables are 1.5m away and there is no dancing allowed. Facemarks of course have to be worn all the time, unless you are sitting down eating or drinking. Which all makes for an unusual experience. 

Anyway, back to the bridge - there is still a lot to do, but I am happy with the way it's progressing - tbc.

Before:

1089959379_MillLanebridge30-8-20a.jpg.64eaa38708b97355330ab2050084a7f4.jpg

Work in progress:

1602859362_MillLanebridge30-8-20c.jpg.251a56d080b2aa9a6fa330493a7113b3.jpg

Road to be added; wings and associated buttress walls and then the embankment.

Do I need to add this sign? Was it only used on weak bridges, or every bridge? Thanks.

913817000_MillLane-sign.jpg.0c6fd05ece255c43d2cd218c05db7273.jpg

Hopefully progress will follow this week and I will be able to finish this area off.

I also hope to add details about my Prairie project..... tbc

• Like 19

6 hours ago, Siberian Snooper said:

As far as I can remember, it was only used on weak bridges, what constituted a weak bridge I don't know.

I’ve been over a weak bridge today where the limit was 25T. Most I’ve seen or passed say much less than that. In fact I think this one today is probably the strongest weak bridge I’ve come across. 

• Informative/Useful 2
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
16 hours ago, richbrummitt said:

I’ve been over a weak bridge today where the limit was 25T. Most I’ve seen or passed say much less than that. In fact I think this one today is probably the strongest weak bridge I’ve come across. 

Thanks Rich.

Yes at 25ton that certainly is strong - typically a weak bridge would be 3 1/2 tons or less. (I think). 

I wont include the bridge signs at the scenic break!

Thanks again

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, bgman said:

My sort of gardening !

Sometimes a practical approach is needed to keep new shrubs up! I can confirm the glue has dried and they have all been removed!

50 minutes ago, Nick Gough said:

STOP THAT TRAIN!

I think they might be fouling the track?:o

One pair was indeed fouling the track. Neither the loco or the pliers suffered any damage! The train was stationary after last nights photos.

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 5

2 hours ago, Neal Ball said:

One pair was indeed fouling the track. Neither the loco or the pliers suffered any damage! The train was stationary after last nights photos.

That's a long time to be held at that signal!

• Agree 1
  • Funny 3

Hi Neal, this is a fantastic project.  I was born and brought up in Henley in the 1960s and remember the old station well.  There used to be a pathway running along the edge of the station, along the metal fence between the toilet block for the promenade, and past the signal box.  On summers evenings the schoolboys would gather and chat to the signalmen.  it was also where we were taken to see the Queen and wave at her train when she visited in the early 1960q.  I also remember Norman, who, at that time was the new apprentice, and now recently retired after a working life mostly on the branch line.

I don't know if it has been covered previously, but I thought that the track at the far end of the station building originally ran through the building to the turntable that was originally in front of the main building, where the grass half circle is now.  This is what station road originally went around the other side of the grass. 

Brilliant layout.  thank you for posting all the picots of your labours.   regards.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1