Kirkby Luneside

Physicsman

• RMweb Premium

That's looking great; might have to try to remove the grass that I've done so far and put flock under it instead of paint (hope you don't mind being copied!) Thanks for inspiring me to get back to work!

Now THAT's the kind of comment that makes the hobby so worthwhile! Cheers. VERY much appreciated (Simon?)

I'm not saying that what I'm doing is correct/looks good etc BUT if my efforts can inspire others, well, that's payment enough.

As for "copying" - NO such thing! Once we choose to post on an open forum like RMweb, as far as I'm concerned we are putting our ideas forward for comment and general usage - so feel free to use anything you find helpful on here.

Just taken delivery of my new 1mm and 2mm fibres. Will show "progress" when there's something worth imaging!

Jeff

Edited by Physicsman
  • Like 6

• RMweb Premium

Now THAT's the kind of comment that makes the hobby so worthwhile! Cheers. VERY much appreciated (Simon?)

I'm not saying that what I'm doing is correct/looks good etc BUT if my efforts can inspire others, well, that's payment enough.

As for "copying" - NO such thing! Once we choose to post on an open forum like RMweb, as far as I'm concerned we are putting our ideas forward for comment and general usage - so feel free to use anything you find helpful on here.

Just taken delivery of my new 1mm and 2mm fibres. Will show "progress" when there's something worth imaging!

Cheers for that! (and yes, it's Simon). So, any ideas for removing already-applied static grass? A razor might work, and the remaining stubble would be a good base for the grass. It's probably worth doing anyway, I can't remember the mix I used and since it'll be years before I get around to the next board matching it will be tricky.

There'a all sorts of little bits of your grasswork that I'm liking - the track through it below the wall is very convincing, with the odd thinner and thicker patches beside it, and the steep patches with a thinner covering of flock look like very convincing fellside in the photos, although contrasting a little with the limestone. I can easily imagine myself trudging along the track in the rain.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Removing static grass?

I use a broad chisel (1" or so) and slide the edge under the PVA/grass layer. The whole thing usually comes off like skinning a hedgehog!

I looked at a load of images of trackways/paths that had fell walls alongside. Then tried to use some of what I saw. There's a virtually infinite arrangement of grass on the real fell, so I don't worry about the way the grass positions - I just include bare bits, clumps, variety of height and colour and keep the steeper bits clear.

Jeff

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Removing static grass?

I use a broad chisel (1" or so) and slide the edge under the PVA/grass layer. The whole thing usually comes off like skinning a hedgehog!

Jeff

Just how many hedgehogs have you skinned, Jeff?

All looking good Jeff, very impressive indeed and my apologies for my absence and I hope to be more attentive from now on, excuse posted in the Lounge.

With regard to grass applicators I only have a 'cheapy' but am happy with the results, I always grass over flock and vacuum 10/15 minutes later with a handheld vacuum on half power, I occasionally sprinkle some very fine flock in if needed.

Will be back sometime later to hit you with a rash of 'likes'

Jim 

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Just how many hedgehogs have you skinned, Jeff?

Jonathan, I knew my turn of phrase would provoke a response!

All looking good Jeff, very impressive indeed and my apologies for my absence and I hope to be more attentive from now on, excuse posted in the Lounge.

With regard to grass applicators I only have a 'cheapy' but am happy with the results, I always grass over flock and vacuum 10/15 minutes later with a handheld vacuum on half power, I occasionally sprinkle some very fine flock in if needed.

Will be back sometime later to hit you with a rash of 'likes'

Jim

Hi Jim - nice to hear from you after all this time. Best of luck with yours and Linda's health and for renewed modelling!

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Every page in a thread benefits from a few pics, so here's a few to get us started on page 118.

These have just been taken. A batch of previously fixed fibres has just been hoovered off and a couple of new areas "seeded". Make of these what you will.....

post-13778-0-11591900-1472777699_thumb.jpg

post-13778-0-71123600-1472777703_thumb.jpg

post-13778-0-46193700-1472777707_thumb.jpg

post-13778-0-19218800-1472777711_thumb.jpg

Jeff

• Like 19

• RMweb Premium

Hi Jeff,

still looking at those fells, are the dark areas just the painted mod-roc or have you applied anything over it, whatever it is it looks first class mate.

Hi Mike.

Sorry for the delay in replying, just logged in.

The dark areas are indeed just the painted mod-roc, showing through the base covering of flock. Those (generally steep) areas where the flock couldn't find "purchase"  to adhere to the base.

I've applied static grass in front of the wall, and - with darker, very short fibres - beyond the wall up the Fell for a short distance. The majority of the Fell will remain "as is".

Jeff

Edited by Physicsman
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

That top picture in the set just above, I think is my favourite one of the fell so far, the dark grey rock just popping out of the side of the fell, and the scattered rocks below, just say the right things to me.

I hope that one day I will be able to do scenics that will look as good as that.

Andy G

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I'm quite amazed that even with those nasty florry tubes, that the shading and light effects are excellent. Now if you could put those spot lights back up, just think what the effects would be.

Certainly Lunefell 1 was worth the effort as a tester, as Lunefell 2 is a cracking piece of work....

Well deserved rest Jeff!

Andy G

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I'm quite amazed that even with those nasty florry tubes, that the shading and light effects are excellent. Now if you could put those spot lights back up, just think what the effects would be.

Certainly Lunefell 1 was worth the effort as a tester, as Lunefell 2 is a cracking piece of work....

Well deserved rest Jeff!

Andy G

Thanks for the feedback, Andy.

I appreciate a critical eye, especially as you were so keen on the Fell in KL.

I agree with you about the original lighting. I'll consider fitting a couple of sets of halogen spots at each end of the Fell, that I can plug in and switch on when necessary. I have some in mind for lighting the Fiddle Yard area and the Fell ones could possibly clip onto the metal garage door roller frame. We'll see.

I was also a bit unsure about grassing the top of the Fell, as I liked the "bare" flock look. But it would have been unrealistic not to have some grass up there.

Next job when I return? I may grime the track, as it's easier to do it before I start more grass work in the goods yard area.

Jeff

• Like 1

Liking the very last photo, pity, theres no sheep, rain and wind there as well, loving this build and read and comments along with it.

Keep up the fantastic work

Regards Jeff

Edited by phixer64

• RMweb Premium

Stunning, love the footpath..........valderee val deraaaaah.................need a couple of backpackers :)

The response has been very positive.

Funny, as I stand in front of the Fell and wonder if it's good enough.

My brother just gives me that "look" and smiles...

Jeff

• Like 2