Kirkby Luneside

Physicsman

• RMweb Premium

Good to see you're all persevering!

I may get enough done tomorrow to post a pic or two.

That's all I'm saying for now.

And no, none of the green stuff - yet! (I now wait to see what amusing comment Peter will come up with next!)

Jeff

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

I've been looking in too. Though I cannot criticise, haven't done any modelling since I arrived in Lancs, save putting up the prepared baseboards. Off on my hols to bonnie Scotland tomorrow, but am taking my flip-flop with me. The digs have all promised free WiFi. We shall see....

Good to see you're all persevering!

I may get enough done tomorrow to post a pic or two.

That's all I'm saying for now.

And no, none of the green stuff - yet! (I now wait to see what amusing comment Peter will come up with next!)

Jeff

That's ALL I'm waiting for. :no:

You'd think that retirement would mean all sorts of time on Long Marton- ha !.  I haven't yet gotten all the trains moved back from the 6000 km trip !.  Lots of time with the two lads though, and lots of lego sorting, tidying, made a set of bookshelves, and generally relaxed.  (& mowing grass... I have ~.5 acre to mow or so, since the wife's horse died last summer).  

I'm still checking to see what all Jeff has or has not done though :)

James

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

I said I'd try and get on with a bit of work, so here are a few pics to show how it's going.

As I explained in an earlier post, the rear of the goods yard is sectioned and currently removable, to allow me easy access for wall building etc. You'll notice a white area in front of one of the rear "grass" banks (currently brown!) - this is mod roc, which I'm layering onto cork/ply to provide a good base for a thin plaster skim, representing road areas (skim not yet applied).

Needless to say, more walling. A metre's worth so far, around 3000 "stones". 

Anyway, here are the images:

post-13778-0-40398500-1469647564_thumb.jpg

post-13778-0-37557000-1469647568_thumb.jpg

post-13778-0-43926700-1469647572_thumb.jpg

post-13778-0-24679000-1469647577_thumb.jpg

Jeff

• Like 16

• RMweb Premium

Jeff,

Like the way the railway is slowly being subsumed into the landscape.

Will the plywood backscene eventually be carried around the back of the entire scenic section?

Hi Peter.

The backscene boards will cover a lot of, if not all of the scenic area.

As you know, I'm working on the grass bank areas to the rear area of the goods yard at the moment. I've built something that fits into the corner access area - it needs a bit more work, but I'll show some incomplete pics of the situation tomorrow. Then the answer to your question may become clearer!!

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Here's a group of images showing further developments in the goods yard area.

There are 2 decent-sized access corners to the rear of the scenic area and it's paramount that access to the layout from these remains. However, it's always nice to have some kind of backscene to the rear of the track. I've managed this, to a degree, in the goods yard corner by inserting a ply board (12mm) which is held in place across most of the corner by just 2 screws. Easy to add/remove.

The pics show the base "grass bank" - this, of course, needs a plaster coating. This will be done when I re-stock with filler. In the meantime, the afternoon is devoted to a bit more walling (oooooh, how exciting....)

post-13778-0-36802100-1469793705_thumb.jpg

post-13778-0-75069600-1469793708_thumb.jpg

post-13778-0-95420100-1469793712_thumb.jpg

post-13778-0-76082200-1469793716_thumb.jpg

post-13778-0-60790200-1469793720_thumb.jpg

Jeff

• Like 14

Hello Jeff ... back again

I'll start by saying how sorry I was to hear about Jock. I'm sure he'll have been missed on here.

It's good to see steady progress with Kirkby Luneside although I'm sure there's an easier way to produce stone walls. I have looked through my photos for typical fencing but have found nothing. 99.9% of the lineside in the upland areas seems to be stone walls. Where walls have collapsed or fallen into disrepair there are often short sections of fencing to plug the gaps.

I noticed you mentioned how much you were enjoying putting the railway into the landscape which is what I also now enjoyed doing. It was for that reason that , without the luxury of a bunker, I ended up sticking with N Gauge.

I also hope you've taken Jasons' advice and made time to play trains, either running a couple of throgh services or a bit of shunting in the good yard. After a few hours of intensive modelling I find it can be very therapeutic.

There were some interesting comment on Dent about people spending less time on the site, or accessing it in different ways. You must be congratulated for sticking with your blow by blow accounts of Kirkby Luneside. Making my last 00 layout I found it impossible to build a model and provide constant updates. For me personally it only added a lot of unwanted pressure to the modelling

I've now been retired for almost 3 months and have been doing more modelling than ever, both railway and non railway, yet have visited the site very rarely. No excuses - apart from time. Having retired I've been constantly asked how I'm going to fill in my time!!!

So much modelling to do.... so little time!

Regards

Alan

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Great post, Alan.

Congrats on your retirement. Have fun!!

I'll continue to post KL2 updates, though progress has been slow over the last couple of months.

As for the Q6. I'll admit it's a lovely model. However, I've not bought a loco since 2013, so it may be a while before the next one arrives!

Jeff

And you need some 2-6-4T's and Ivatt Moguls before getting carried away with NER locos, as lovely as they are :)

PLUS, B1, More Black '5, (modified by JT) more Jubilee's, Std 4's, 5's, 4F's, 8F's, 9F's, Patriots, some DMU's and many more Minerals.

Oh and some Grass.

Edited by Andrew P
  • Like 3

• RMweb Premium

And you need some 2-6-4T's and Ivatt Moguls before getting carried away with NER locos, as lovely as they are :)

PLUS, B1, More Black '5, (modified by JT) more Jubilee's, Std 4's, 5's, 4F's, 8F's, 9F's, Patriots, some DMU's and many more Minerals.

Oh and some Grass.

Hee hee - NO intention of buying ANY locos at the moment. Too many other things to spend money on at the moment.

Good list of locos though - and Andy, YES - grass will appear eventually.....

Jeff

• Like 3

Having retired I've been constantly asked how I'm going to fill in my time!!!

So much modelling to do.... so little time!

Regards

Alan

Oh, do I know that feeling !.  Mind, I think my wife has been very happy that I have been around to divide the burden of the lads- I just had a job offer, so I might be back @ work soon anyway.  working as a baker, which is totally a change in pace, but is something that I enjoy doing, and it is 3/4 time job not full time...which would suit me fine.   I should go back to soldering little bits of electronics together- I've been working on doing up lighting boards for the Lego.  I have 2, 1/2 done buildings I want to finish, and then more to start on.

James

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

I've spent over 12 hours in the Bunker yesterday and today. Plenty of scenic jobs to be getting on with.

The wall at the rear of the goods yard stretches right down to the main road - the road that goes under the underbridge. So I thought I'd better get on with walling and road work on the first board section.

The pics show the first board, which is inclined at about 5%. The ply surface was covered in mod roc and a 1mm plaster skim put on top. Then the walling started. The pics aren't great, but show the idea. To give an idea, there are around 1500 stones in the wall, as it stands.

post-13778-0-33740800-1470068523_thumb.jpg

post-13778-0-49622300-1470068528_thumb.jpg

Jeff

• Like 11